Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I shot my first concert last night! An absolute blast! I took way too many shots as I wanted to ensure I have some keepers but I have some quick edits from this morning here I'm just too geeked out to not post:

Mercy

Badlook

Chastity

Single Mothers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

A few more

Chastity

Single Mothers:

I'm jonesing for the next show here absolutely jonesing.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I got to shoot my second concert on Saturday - what a blast. Difficult night as 4/4 vocalists decided they didn't want to stand in the lights lmao.
Second band on the bill even inquired about future paid work - did not expect that this soon. I don't know how to process that good lord

Prosector

I See Aura

Islands & Empires

The Northern

Ominous Jazz posted:

Any advice for shooting in absurdly squashed spaces?
There's a festival here in Guelph next month I got a media pass for - and I'm trying to get the smallest lens as possible. I'm borrowing a 24mm 1.8 from a friend and just interchanging that for group shots and then rocking the 35mm (as seen above). And yeah, shoot wide open. Your photos are good!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

So the impetus to me shooting concerts has come and past - a back to back Protest The Hero show in our sleepy little town of Guelph - What a loving rush, I cannot believe how much fun this is. I've been listening to Protest The Hero since high school and having them interact with my photos is just loving mind blowing - I'll try and keep the spam low as I get through more of these photos but here's some early highlights

Bad Egg

Protest the Hero

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Awesome shots Bottom Liner - really intimate

So our local festival has come and gone - Too many photos taken. Too many shows god I'm tired.

Taking Balfour

Polarity

More Protest The Hero (night 2 though)

Now comes the tricky part - multiple bands have seen fit to request my hourly rate for concert shots but also band headshots and stuff - and I have no idea where to even start pricing wise.
Any tips from anyone?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Shot a mini festival of some smaller acts - two bands actually paid me for set photos after the front - first customers! Sweet!

This is Scaithe, first show ever:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Viginti Septem posted:

I really like this

Thanks! I was making GBS threads bricks with him wearing the hoodie, fearing that he'd be out of the lights mostly. But he was like, almost basking in it?
Turned out to be some of my favourite shots from the night.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Double post but I just edited my favourite music photo ever:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Woodenlung posted:

That looks good man. How much editing did you do? I'm pretty bad at doing anything but basic colour correction and cropping. And even cropping, I am always too cautious to use.

Generally I try to minimize the use of masking and whatnot on my end but for these bespoke shots, I kind of go hard with the masking and stuff - blacking out the ugly background of this dingy nightclub/bar gets me pretty far:

It could probably be lightened up a little bit but I wanted the moodiness to pop through - can't see poo poo when looking at it outside on the phone though so I think it didn't do great on socials.

Adding to the content list:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Some real good stuff in this thread - lovely to see it start to come back alive.

I hit up a show in a hidden skatepark (straight out of THPS2 lmao) this past Saturday. What a loving blast

Hollow Core:

Judgement:

Conversation:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I've taken a month and a half off as it slows down greatly here in Guelph during Riverfest & Hillside times. Maybe next year I'll photograph those festivals but in the interim here are some shots from the middle of July:

The Acacia Strain

Fit For an Autopsy

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Woodenlung posted:

Going to attempt to shoot Full Of Hell, Whores, Oxbow, Venus Twins, Divide and Dissolve, Hiraki, Telos, Vi som älskade varandra så mycket, Puke Wolf, Syl and Oxx this saturday. In a venue that is anything but used to having these kind of bands haha.

Hell yeah - absolutely use the whole venue to take advantage of that unique factor. Those bands don't belong there and I'd be showcasing that heavily in my photos!

Speaking of weird venues, I hit up the local metal show at our Thai Restaurant in the middle of a decrepid mall:

2 Shadows

Itus

Seagrave

Sewn

I've also been trying to incorporate more crowd stuff in my photosets:

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 14, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Shot a charity gig last Friday. Best lighting I've had since starting in March.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Toronto rockers Ready The Prince (check them out they're so good) hit up my hometown venue and they gave me the opportunity to get a little creative:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I've been listening to Dan Mangan for probably about 10 years so I feel incredibly fortunate to be given photo passes to two shows here. This is from Monday. The next show I get to shoot is next week. I'm kind of in shock I got to shoot him to be quite honest.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Like this?

(Advice followed on right vs original on left)

Appreciate the actual insight on the technique on how to fix it otherwise, I would've probably spiralled into ruining it and giving up

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Shot a show on Saturday where the guy who owned the lights removed them from the venue right before show time as people were using them without permission or something.

So glad I randomly felt the need to bring a flash (I typically don't shoot shows with flash).

First time shooting a show with flash. I'm so glad the scene here is heavy on flash users so I had a bit of an understanding of what to do with it.

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 30, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

You nailed the shutter speed to freeze things but still capture the energy. I'd crank the flash up a stop or so though, looks like a dark or wood ceiling and that eats up the light if you're bouncing.

I drastically drop highlights in my edits for whatever reason, call it style, or preferences, or a lovely monitor, but I'm terrified of having blown highlights or overexposed photos hahaha

Those shots are incredible.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Exploring in camera double exposures for a certain uniqueness in the area that I'm shooting in shows-wise went and saw Dan Mangan and Aysanabee again in Waterloo last week:

Dan Mangan:

Aysanabee:

This weekend I have 2 shows on Friday and Saturday night then a mini session with a band on Sunday who asked me to get some promo shots going. Gonna be a busy busy weekend.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah that was actually at Maxwell's!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

God drat you're really good at this.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the triple portrait layout images.

Some selects from my Friday night gig with Taking Balfour in Brantford Ontario at a tiny venue:

First kind of gig where I did candids, promo, and set photos for a band. They seem to really like the output. So thankful for this thread, inspiration, feedback, and tips and tricks have helped me a lot over the last 6 months or so.

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 13, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

You’re killing it too. Flash looking dialed in for motion and exposure. Bass shot is my favorite, but that might because of that loving sick Dingwall that I’m not jealous of at all.

Pretty sure I saw some of your shots in Todd’s discord server? Great stuff and crew there. Here’s some edits I shared there for color correcting red and blue casts with calibration and color grading

Thank you! Yeah that Bassist shot is going in the portfolio for sure.

And yeah I've poked my head in Todd's discord every so often. Great insight in how the industry is, though I've found sometimes it exacerbates imposter syndrome in me, but also I need to understand the difference in scale economy wise - a lot of these people are shooting huge stars, I'm shooting guys playing to crowds of 40. The economies and prices are different for these things.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Here’s some edits I shared there for color correcting red and blue casts with calibration and color grading

Hey this is timely!

I might be in my own head a little bit about delivering these to the client - the stage was static PURPLE RED BLUE for the whole night. Unchanging.
The memories for the stage are seared in like that, but if I were to edit without colour correcting, they'd turn to absolute mush.

These examples are just quick edits to figure out colour coding and calibrations, not final edits.

Harsh Purple Light

Dealing with straight RED Light

Walk me off the edge here - are these colour corrections okay? I'm going nuts here.

Runaway Legs posted:

The bass shot is loving dope! And impostor syndrome is a thing. Hell, I had a photo book released by a real publisher last month, and I still don't feel like a real photographer. I shoot small shows as well. Just keep doing what you do.
Hey thanks! Getting published must be absolutely frightening and daunting but that's so exciting! Do you have a link to the book or anything? I'd love to know more about it!

Just looked at your posts in the thread - I love your work with flash - are you bouncing off the ceiling or are you going direct with a diffuser bulb or are you just raw doggin' flash?

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 14, 2023

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Getting there - I appreciate the little push in the right direction and "keep going" a lot. For a lot of these they're heading straight to the B&W pile but there's a few that are looking way better.

I'm confident I'm going to be getting another paid gig with these guys in Feb. They were also understanding of the lighting issue at hand when I was weary about the static red main light haha

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Double Posting because gently caress it -

Got through all of the deliverables from the weekend - Gigs on Saturday and Sunday and a quick mini session on Sunday evening

Taking Balfour - 2 Doors Down in Brantford. I did the whole gamut for them - quick promo, set photos and candids; feedback was incredible from them:

Leash - Paddy's Underground in Tillsonburg. Cousin of my realtor booked this gig for them - what a gift. Great group of musicians doing a comprehensive 2 hour set of Pearl Jam's catalogue - There are colour photos I've delivered just don't like them enough to post here haha!

Tortugal Sacrifice - Mini shoot before their set on Sunday evening - So much fun hanging out with new blood. These guys get it; can't let yourself take metal too seriously. Spacing on the first image is a little wonky I have to work on instructing poses more. Mistake on my part.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Thanks for the feedback. It was such a blast. The Kids are Alright.

Sizing - crop sensor spacing issues definitely were on my mind during shooting but they seemed really happy with them.

I'm curious about the exposure stuff - Is it monitor difference? Seems to be a trend on all the photos of mine that you see. either that or I'm terrified of bright photos.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I'm shooting Protest The Hero tonight in Toronto and I'm absolutely making GBS threads bricks about the First 3 rule.

12 minutes to get the closeups I want. I'm loving terrified.

I've only shot first 3 once and that was Acacia Strain and Fit For an Autopsy who have longer songs and it was only from the side stage.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Hah, I almost covered their show here in Florida for a friend last week! You’ll be fine, def bring your widest lens if it’s a small venue without a pit like the one here is.

It's the opposite - it's the last stop on the tour, in their home city.

2500 cap nearly sold out.

Largest venue I've shot at so far was ~700 cap.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Runaway Legs posted:

Getting published was frightening as gently caress. I've been working on my own for ages, shooting for me and for fun. And suddenly, it's official. Its hard to explain in a second language. I'm proud as hell.

I got links to the book on a Norwegian booksellers webstore. Its big and heavy, so international shipping is a bitch. But the publisher is trying to figure something out. But you can also see it on my Instagram @myscenesucks

Edit: forgot the link
https://www.ark.no/produkt/boker/dokumentar-og-faktaboker/my-scene-sucks-9788284640167

I instant followed you - your work is incredible.

Here's a select few from the Protest The Hero set - I ended up putting together about 80 photos and tossing them to Protest to see if they'll use or even comment on. They like my work enough to have given me a media pass in the first place so I dunno; we'll see. Big moment in my life when Tim recognized me as I was getting into the venue; it's very weird to have someone in your favourite band know who you are. I'm fanboying enough as it is.

And some separation for my new favourite photo I've ever taken:

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Nice! I think the blue wide shot 4th from the bottom is my favorite

And man, Arif looks real different these days :v:

Yeah I'm super stoked with that one. That's the cover of the gallery I sent them haha.

What I would give to see Arif do his bow and arrow from Sequoia Throne... Hank is super cool too though! He was in The Human Abstract!

Thank you for the pep talk before - I was so nervous about the whole thing, I think overall I had 3 or 4 other photographers give me tips/pep talks throughout the day.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Suppose I should follow up with the other bands I got from Friday night:

The Callous Daoboys opened up the show. Great act, very chaotic, very energetic. Great sound.

Moon Tooth then came on and only got one song in before Lee, the Guitarist had a seizure on stage and the show had to be stopped. He's dealing with Limbic Encephalitis. You can read more about it here:
https://www.metalsucks.net/2023/02/22/moon-tooth-to-make-their-triumphant-return-to-the-stage-this-may/

Covet made a special visit to Toronto and really set a nice math rock-y kind of vibe for Protest to Come in like Bulls and crash everything to smithereens. It was good.

Overall a great experience. Yearning to get back to my smaller more chaotic venues where the lighting is shitter and a bit more challenging. Let's try and squeeze blood from a stone. I can't get too comfortable with these amazing lighting set ups.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Those are really nice. I'm really really jealous of your regular spots' lighting.

My regular spot is... Dark. These are photos from the first round of our local Battle of the Bands
Overall a really good evening for me, 3 out of the 4 bands paid for set photos after the event and that's not a bad way to start the year.

Winner of the evening: Feura

Dangersex:

A Little Leverage

Frantic Lullabies

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I have a 35mm 1.8 in my bag that I use when it's really dark, but typically I'm rocking the 24-70 f 2.8

I'm REALLY right now to buying the Rokinon 14mm F2.8 with autofocus on it for $570 for those INSANE wide angle shots... I should rent it first though maybe if at all possible. Or find a used one.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Round 1 Night 2!
Brought out the flash for this one, all 4 were okay with flash so bring on the shutter drag! (I can't figure out how to make interesting flash photos without shutter drag imo)

The Bone Heads

Bluff

Napoleon (Winner)

Paradise Mayday

Felt super bad for Paradise Mayday who had to follow Napoleon -- who absolutely got out there and TORE up the place. Top 3 energetic acts I've seen so far.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Front curtain - On camera, bouncing up off the ceiling as best as possible.

For your backlight idea, would that be with a remote flash?

Ham shirt has gotten a ton of comments lmao what a shirt. So glad these guys won, cause I get to shoot them again in Round 2 in Feb. They're probably going to win the thing, they're nuts.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I actually ended up getting a remote for my flash unit for Christmas - figured I'd be doing some promo and I could explore some exciting opportunities there.

Interesting shots, I'll have to play around with it a little bit! these are 30 minute sets so it goes quick!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

More photos from our battle of the bands that's going on - quick turnaround on edits this week.

027 - Energetic noisy Alternative Metal that's unrelenting in noise. Huge noise coming from just 3 dudes.
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

Diamond Weapon - Touché Amore/La Dispute mixed with Thursday and Thrice - unbelievable. Way too small for how good they were. Should've won the evening.

Crown For a King - Local band rising from the ashes of a past deadbeat vocalist who scammed the city of thousands of dollars before loving off to Ireland, what a weird story. They won. They shouldn't have won. I don't know how they won. They didn't even have a set list.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Hell yeah - those folks look nutty as heck.

Back at with the second round of our local Battle of the Bands. No one showed up because we're a university town and it's reading week - woops.

Napoleon

Diamond Weapon

Feura - winner (online votes are a real big decider in this one it seems)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bumping

Night 2 of Round 2 of our local battle of the bands finally happened - had a classic business-let-their-insurance-lapse the day of the originally scheduled date so it had to be postponed by a week, then as a result one of the bands had to drop out. So it's only a 2fer for the night

Bluff:

Crown For A King:

Both of which are moving onto the final in a couple weeks. Kind of going through the motions now with these bands haha. They play nice music I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Wow that's quite a future list of acts to photograph!

Biggest win for me recently is a local band seeking me out to shoot for them specifically when they go to the next town over! , big steps up! I feel like I'm getting a decent foot in the scene here.