Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I try and see local shows weekly. Right now I'm apprehensive about bringing my SLR and shooting the bands without asking. I feel better with my little point and shoot just to record memories. But I want to use my SLR for more professional shots.

Do you find that most small/local/indie bands don't care if you are taking their pictures?

When did you feel confident to approach them for paid work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Reading this thread really makes me think 2 things: I need a DSLR, so I don't have to mess with high speed film and I want to take concert photos for side profit, or free shows at least.

Do you bring a laptop to the show for the band to see the photos right after, or is there a meeting later to go over which shots they want to use?

Do you give them a version that has a watermark on it, or do you require them to give you credit somewhere under the picture?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I finally got a D90 and because of this thread you all made me think that I could actually get paid for something I love. I put up a couple of pictures in PAD but they may be sick of seeing concert shots. Don't want to double post so the set is here http://www.flickr.com/photos/aiiaznsk8er/sets/72157618288200431/ . I knew the 50mm 1.8 would be awesome, but it took some time to get used to the new crop factor coming from 35mm. I occasionally used flash but turned down the power so I could bump exposure of the subject just a bit. I still feel a little self conscious getting up in front of the stage to get good angles.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
So I got interest from the band I shot on Friday for use of my photographs. I was thinking that I would put my name in the corner and give them permission to use a select few on their myspace only. If they wanted to use it for posters or on their proper website, they would have to negotiate a price for them. This is the first time I have licensed my pictures to anyone. Does this sound like a good plan? I know the business thread frowns upon giving stuff away for free. I know my photos have value, so should I charge money and give them the license for broader usage beyond myspace? They did not 'hire' me for their show to take pictures, so my other idea was to ask them if they would hire me for their next show explicitly for promo pictures. What did you established guys do for your first set of licensed photographs?

edit: I just thought of this. When you sign contracts for licensing, do all members of the bands sign? Are you making a contract with the individuals or the band as an entity? Do you state that this is only for use by Band X not by Solo Guy if he leaves.

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 19, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Xiphias posted:

To change direction a little bit, I'm trying to design a MySpace page (and cringing every 5 seconds whilst doing it). Are there any automated ways of doing this other than using the MySpace site, also maybe desktop applications that you can manage it from? (For Mac, if possible)

this. I haven't spent a whole lot of time trying to figure out myspace, but it seems like I just have to learn how to use css, to make it shiny and pro like Bottom Liner. Does anyone have a good tutorial site?

edit: have you ever been approached by the venue to do capture the night life energy to promote the club as well? is there a market for this kind of promotion to go along with concert shots?

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 27, 2009

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I normally go to the same small local hipster bar for concert shots. This last time I went, Everyone and their mother showed up with a DSLR. There was a guy with a D100, a different guy with a D1, and third guy with a D80. Everyone brought hot shoe flashes, and blinded the gently caress out of the place. The dude with the D80 had 2 sb-28s clamped high side stage with pocket wizards. He was cool enough though, because he let me try out his 10.5mm fisheye! The other two dudes were awkward as hell blinding people. My shots came out real crappy, because I felt all self conscious and didn't push myself, for fear of getting lumped in with the blinding crew.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

AtomicManiac posted:

I'm a newbie so take my advice with a grain of salt, but it seems like everyone is suggesting a f/1.8(?) prime lens that you can pick up for ~100 bucks to start with. If you're gonna drop the $100 why not just upgrade to something you can continue to use?

A 50mm f/1.8 should be a regular lens that you keep in your kit forever. Theres no reason to not have one, you will find use for it in a ton of situations, not just concerts. It's not like you buy the 50 and toss it later. Almost every other modern lens you will look at is easily 4 or 5 times more expensive, its not a small jump to "upgrade".

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

rockcity posted:

...My two most used lenses for any show are my sigma 20mm f1.8 and my canon 50mm f1.8...

Is the sigma easy to focus for you? I had never heard of it until you mentioned it just now, and a quick google turns up slow autofocus in low light. It also seems really big.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I was at a show last week in a smallish club and I had a hell of a time because they used a fog machine. The fog would refract the light all weird and I couldn't figure out how to meter for it. A lot of it was either blown out, or no definition of the performer amidst the fog.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Heres some from a show a while ago, where I got nervous when everyone had a DSLR and a huge flash in the crowd. I didn't think they were any good, but I gave them another chance tonight. What do you guys think?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

rockcity posted:

Jeremy Saffer is probably the best example I can give of that.

I came across this guys stuff last week. It is pretty flat and boring.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Earplugs = win. I try and see a live show as often as I can and earplugs are a must. They aren't expensive and you can still hear everything very clearly.

I saw two shows last week, got done processing one of them. How I Became the Bomb was really entertaining. Such an eclectic mix of 80's and 'Hot Chip'-yness

I love how the lighting on this first one made him look like one of those old 3d pictures.

Would you guys call this a good shot? I am on the fence about it because its a good moment. I like the blue light. I didn't like the bw conversion as much. Is there enough in focus to be compelling?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Went to Busch Gardens, an amusement park in Williamsburg, Va, over the weekend. This concert was called Frankenrock, where they cover pop songs like Smash Mouth and Spice Girls dressed as monsters. It was pretty cheesy, but the light was ooh sooo interesting. It was a circular stage, I was able to just walk around it. I was sitting in the back with some friends, but when the lighting got turned on, I had to get up and take some photos. I actually pretended like I was at a big music festival. I loved being able to get low and wide for the first time in a concert setting with my Tammy 17-50, goddamn it is a mythically awesome lens.

this guys all, "wtf is he doing actin all like a serious photographer, i just see grannies with point and shoots all day"

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I have never seen Gwar live, but they ought to be got-dang reedickulous, have you worked with them before?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Four Banger posted:

(And gently caress red lights)
ALSO gently caress shooting from the crowd. Captain drunks-a-lot and his gay tattoos jumping on your back and trying to shove you out of the way is a pain in the rear end.

Yeah, lighting can be get out of hand fast. Add some fog to that, and I'm all ready to give up sometimes. But you should feel lucky to be able to bring in your camera at all despite having to fight drunks, which you'd have to fight anyway camera or not. And don't forget to enjoy the show yourself.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

neospec posted:

slowly getting into concert photography..and i have to say..i love it. i doubt it pays much..which im beginning to learn. here are a few from the last show. the band didn't ask for them..but i've emailed over and they seem to love them. fire away.

I'm not 100% happy about the b&w...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2504/4016712011_978b051442_o.jpg

I love this guys face..
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2504/4016711115_9717d7bbf1_o.jpg

the crop and awkward angle on the first makes for a weird image. I kind of expect to see more.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

neospec posted:

actually, not a crop at all. 50mm f/1.4

i should rephrase, awkward composition. the space at the top showing the venue doesnt really add to the mood of the performance to me, I would rather see more of the performers body and/or instruments and their interaction with it.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
spritely, those shots are awesome. They really put me there in the middle of the energy of the show.

I got to see my favorite band in the whole wide world, The Gay Blades.The biggest problem was that I was up front right against the stage, looking up, the light cans were pointing straight at me and caused flares almost 90% of the time. The only choice I had was to do the halo-block-out-the-light thing. I was way too excited to take pictures, so I really only got this one. On the plus side, I hung out with them after the show and passed out some of my moo cards.

This is my current man crush, Clark Westfield.

This was the opener, Millions of Brazillions

Electric Six was headlining, but I was too busy crushing on TGB at the merch table.

Crits are welcome, how do you guys deal with flares when you can't back up any more? Are there hoods for the 50 1.8? would that help?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
http://us.moo.com/en/ tiny promo/business cards with my photos and information on them. They are relatively cheap and effective as handouts, really great quality too. Its automatically integrated into my flickr, so its simple to get a set.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

evil_bunnY posted:

Semi-recent stuff:

i like the first one alot, the flash effect works well with the emotion. The second one though, looks just like a hot mess compared to some of your other work.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

I Might Be Adam posted:

wicked mute math photos

i am seeing them next week, wish i had a photo pass though.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Wanted to see what you guys think of this. This is from a Mute Math show (second best show of my entire life) last night. Do you think there is potential in a collage/pano of this type when all you have is a point and shoot and no photo pass? So often its just spray and pray, but if I can use that to my advantage to create one cool piece from each show, I'd be pretty happy. Just thinking of how to make something different.

Click through for larger please, I didn't wanna chance breaking the table.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Anti_Social posted:

Was this at the synagogue in DC?

no, i wish i had gone to that show as well. My shot was from the night before at the Norva, in Norfolk, VA.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
How was the Metallica show, were you on the stage behind them or was it in the middle of stadium?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

I think the ones on your smugmug are really good. not too many of the performer, but for club and atmosphere shots, they work well. are they your friends or random people who posed for you?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
my concert shots mostly end up on my office wall for my coworkers to see. occasionally I will play around with Rasterbator http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/ and make some cool stuff.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
hey pr0digal, do you use the flash on or off camera? I have yet to use flash in small places because I don't want to be too annoying with it, but i might save it for the last song and just go nuts because I'm starting to go to some really dark and hole in the ground bars.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

THIS IS RUBBISH posted:

I was lucky and got to shoot Electric Six about a month ago. Dick Valentine has to be one of the more entertaining frontmen I've shot in a long while.

yea when i saw him, he definitely had a game show host kind of vibe, but is incredibly fun.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

jackpot posted:

I'm going to a show on the 22nd, Flogging Molly at the NorVa in Norfolk, Virginia. Anybody here know the area well enough to recommend some magazines or any kind of publication that I might contact about getting a press pass, in return for some photos? How's that usually work?

Theres not much that I have found for music in Hampton Roads. The local paper uses stock photos from the band and hey just shut down the local culture magazine that had food, music, events in it. Any photographer I've seen at the NorVa was there from a larger nationwide magazine. I was also thinking of going to the show, Dropkick is the day after, deciding which one to go to.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I think Dorkroom's favorite subjects are Steve Aoki and torgeaux's son.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

AtomicManiac posted:

I just got my first photo-pass for a "Big" show. Between the Buried and Me (and hopefully Mastodon if they let me). The question is, given the gear I have now (Kit Lens, 50mm 1.8, Canon XSi) what is the next most important lens to buy/rent for this show? Obviously I want fast glass, but should I get a wide-angle or a fast zoom?

I'm never certain but does canon make a 35 f/1.8 for their crop cameras? thats going to be my next lens purchase.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Already Bored posted:

If you have any questions about equipment, strategy, dealing with artists, etc. let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Nice shots, saw your tweet about getting kickstarter funding and still thinking hard about it.

I got a ton of questions, I hope you don't mind:
How many people are on your crew and how do you coordinate shots and post processing between everyone?
Do you get paid a flat fee for the whole event?
Do you mind sharing how you invoiced the promoters (not specific numbers, but how you categorized your labor/creative fee/expenses)?
Did the promoters give you any specific restrictions or strange requests from the artists?
Was all your work still images or did you also have requirements to capture video?
What about writing, were you expected to keep a written blurb of the events surrounding the photos?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Alfajor posted:

Help me guyz!
I'm shooting at a small DJ show/gig called "Hustle!" in a small club tomorrow. I've been in there plenty, so I know what I've got to work with: low ceilings, and very little light.
I have a Canon 40D and a 580EXII flash, so I'll probably be bouncing the flash straight up, but I've been assigned to get a couple of good shots of the DJs in action, and I'd like to do something that doesn't look plain and boring (something like this would be pretty sweet: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sidsiva/489602913/), but I haven't used the rear curtain sync flash to feel totally comfortable using it. I'm guessing though that that'll be the trick to getting more movement in the pictures... right? :ohdear:

You don't have to use rear curtain sync for the light trails. Set your flash to a high enough power to just illuminate your subject and then open your shutter long enough to get the trails while you move the camera around. The green light rays in the picture you posted are not light trails, its just part of the club lighting. Try putting your subject just between you and the light source, and it will give them a halo. Expose for the light and use your flash as fill on your subject.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
How do these look? I always go to the same venue, and its starting to put me in a rut.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Green lights are the bar. They use these super intense LED cluster type things. I guess I'll have to work on framing. It is a very small bar and I hate using flash because its so distracting. I never thought the pianists facial expression said 'pooping' but I will keep it in mind. Also good point about the hair waving shot, still needs more emotion and context to really make it 'rawk'.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Beef Log Boy posted:

Grocery Store Carnage

I gotta ask, did you get proper permission inside the grocery store? I've had similar ideas for a shoot actually. Also, if you had more fill light, these would be a ton better.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Eeek posted:

Wait, rat tails are cool again?

I think every city does have groups like this- if not out roaming then there is a club photographer. We have one in Jax that is comically bothersome. He'll estalk me and post links to his pictures where I post.

Here in Norfolk, VA it's the opposite of hipsters. I've noticed that there are roaming groups of thuggish kids armed to the hilt with DSLRs. I think they're all making rap videos or bum fights.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I was actually in the back of a large show for the first time in a long time. I had forgotten just what a reasonable volume the music is when you're next to the sound board.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I went to my first psychobilly show. It was definitely interesting.

Also, red lights on white clothing thats spattered in red paint, makes me take terrible photos.

But, this guy was entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Jealous doesn't even begin to describe.