Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Are you guys using super clamps to attach the lights to the ceiling or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I really love LR3s noise reduction, still hate LED lights.

yesper by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Looking good Dunkman. Love chromeo.

So is the NEX5 the magical concert camera we've been waiting our whole lives for? Whats the fastest lens they make that works with autofocus?

edit: It's available on lensrentals.com to try out and it looks like theres a Sony 35 f/1.4

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 26, 2010

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Maybe for small, intimate shows; if you're shooting a regular band from a photo pit I don't think the NEX's size/ergonomics are really much of an asset. I suppose it would be good for passing off as a "who gives a crap?" P&S if you're not shooting officially though :haw:

I don't think any of the Alpha-mount lenses will AF even on the Sony adapter, so the answer to your question would be the 16mm f/2.8. Manual focus is fine with the LiveView/digital zoom, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about shooting action that way, haven't tried it.

Yea, not for professional pit photos, but for shows that are like 800-1,000 people big. If you get there early up in front of the stage, where they don't allow you to bring in DSLRs like the 9:30 club in DC.

Thats a bummer that Sony lenses don't autofocus on the NEX.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

rockcity posted:

Damnit now you have me contemplating buying the sigma 30mm f1.4 before the wedding I have to shoot in a couple of weeks.

Ugh, how far I've come where I look at that and go "you know $439 is cheap for a lens that fast".

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Already Bored posted:

Xavier [Justice]

This is awesome, how'd you come to setting/pose?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Saw an 80s cover band last night, starting to feel old. It's been a while since I've shot a show, but I spent most of the time dancing.

delorians-0219 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

delorians-0125 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

Sometimes mic stands are there just to annoy me.

delorians-0253 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Everything video is expensive, the extra equipment and software is mind boggling. Do you want to produce a full length music video? I thought you were interning with a production house already. What are they charging on the last shoot with 5 cameras?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

AtomicManiac posted:

As far as the $200 price point I'm thinking a video like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ-XNZKlxb4

$200 seems low to offer as a professional service for a music video like that. Even with just one camera doing multiple takes, if you could do a video like that, first number I'd pull out of my head is $1,000.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I live in Va Beach. So you can record in a full studio with an engineer for $300 for an 8 hour day? What does production cost with mastering and all that jazz?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Alfajor posted:

Do you guys use evaluative metering, or spot?

Depends on the lighting, If it's pretty bright and consistent, then I will use evaluative. Most of the time it's spotty so I'll use spot on the faces, then check my histograms.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

pr0digal posted:

Also anybody know good venues in the DC are to check out?

Red and Black
Rock and Roll Hotel
DC9
Black Cat
U Street

And there was an awesome basement show I went to in Columbia Heights in the alleyway between 11th & 13th off Monroe St NW. It's called Paper Sun.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Reichstag posted:

The band formed shortly before these photos and broke up immediately after.

Did they at least decide on a name?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Any hip hop heads out there? Lodi Dodi...

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

RangerScum posted:

Shot a band that I work with in a smaller setting than I'm used to but it was still pretty fun/sweet:

Untitled by Myotomy, on Flickr

This one kills.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
So I'll be in Richmond on Tuesday night at the Canal Club and going to try and shoot a hardcore show. I don't really know anything about the bands or the music, I'm going with another goon. I can't wait.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Anti_Social posted:

If anyone in the Baltimore area is around, I'm going to be at the La Dispute / Defeater show on Wednesday. I may just decide to leave the camera at home this time tho.

Dude, they were so good. I saw them in Richmond last night and it was a blast to shoot. I don't know if I got anything good because I was more focused in rocking the gently caress out. The opener, Native, was also really really good.

Munkaboo, What kind of venue is it? If the stage is really large and high off the ground, a 17 may not give you the reach you want, unless you're on the stage itself off to the side, then a 17 would be cool. I had to use flash for the club last night, it was just too drat dark. Plus there were at least 6 other photographers there all popping flash and no one seemed to care.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

pr0digal posted:

I want to shoot some RVA/NVA hardcore shows

I so want to be there for that as well.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I don't know what normally goes on at hardcore shows, I didn't think it was that bad. I've been to a lot of punk shows before and it was way less violent than those. La Dispute did point out a few kids to the bouncers. What did they say in Baltimore? I mean most of the crowd was just rushing the stage to sing at the mic.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
You got some good shots, but please limit posts to 6 photos. You can link to the full gallery afterwards. I like 6206 the best.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Hot Cops posted:

I like how intimate this one feels, what focal length was this shot at?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

psylent posted:

Yeah the whites aren't quite as white as they can be, but when I up the exposure it starts looking... wrong. I'll keep playing around with it. :)

I ran into the exact same problem when I shot food on a white seamless. It got better when I was able the light the background independently of the subject. At first I was using one light, but it made by background too grey in comparison to a properly exposed subject. When I added two lights pointed at the seamless on each side, plus a third light on the subject, it kind of fixed it, but I was getting to much spill. Next time I gotta grid that poo poo I think.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

psylent posted:

Managed to fix it (mostly) with some editing in Lightroom on the individual portraits - they're still works in progress though:

So who are these guys? Is this how they dress when they perform or is this a concept just for the photo shoot?

I went to a small hip hop show. It was cool.

0:30 Video of a dude rapping if you care to watch such a thing. http://youtu.be/k2aMhOh8oK4

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

MrOpus posted:

Half Empty 7/7/2011 by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

A chain link mic stand? Really?

Tincans posted:

Did they let you set up a couple flashes or did you place them regardless? Either way they look great.

What's the deal with the guy in the background of this photo? This could looks amazing if you highlighted the background guy and reduced the brightness of him a bit, just for balance y'know.

I'm not into rap music but the dude in't video has got skills.

There were no stage lights, it was a fully lit boring bar. So I asked the guys if I could put up some lights with no problem at all. I had never been to this bar before, and had a feeling the light would be lovely so I packed up some lights into the car. I used 2 sb600s, bare bulb, triggered with CLS (I love CLS).

The guy in the background is Drew Skills, he's another rapper. He does seem a little out of place, but there's lots of white dudes rapping these days.

dreggory posted:

Wow, flute explosion. I like it man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Munkaboo posted:

PROTOMEN! Powerglove! MAGFEST!

Protomen are loving awesome live FYI.

Woa. I was there. You were there as well. I was helping run the arcade section. Nice pics, we should have drank together.