Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nicolerork
Feb 9, 2009
This thread rules. Along with rockcity, I too, have been shooting shows since I was 17. Currently it is a part-time job for me and on the plus side, I get to tour quite a bit. Speaking of which, I'll be down in FL on Friday and Texas / SXSW all next week, so if you see me, come say hello!

I just shot these first two yesterday, so they're straight off the camera. No post-processing yet.

Pierce the Veil

Cinematic Sunrise

Forever in a Day

Isles and Glaciers

Misc live shots

nicolerork fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nicolerork
Feb 9, 2009

Cyberbob posted:

Looking at the shots nicolerork posted.. how the hell are they so noiseless? even the very dark concert ones. Is it a matter of using a low ISO but waiting till the perfect lighting? Or just throwing some high end hardware at the situation.

I usually just wait for the spotlight before I take a shot. I like to shoot at really low ISOs as much as possible (anywhere from 400-800) at shows, so to compensate, I have to shoot slower shutter speeds which means I wait for the right lighting before shooting.

Bottom Liner posted:

dude, where have you been hiding? Excellent stuff, do you have any insight to share about the business side of things?

The best business advice I can give you is networking yourself. Making friends with other photographers, bands, publicists, magazines, etc. Once you prove that you can do the job and deliver on time, you'll have a good working relationship with your clients. Then from there it just branches off from word of mouth referrals and jobs.

I also spend A LOT of time looking at other entertainment photographers work. I take a little bit of everyone else's style and mix it in with my own and continuously try to reinvent myself all the time. I try not to take the same shot twice.

nicolerork
Feb 9, 2009
TOC lights were amazing in Columbus and the exact opposite in Detroit. It's hit or miss, be prepared for both.

A few shots from SXSW -

nicolerork
Feb 9, 2009
Mike looks like a warrior in those shots. Good job.

nicolerork
Feb 9, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

drat you guys and your living in places with big venues and acts! Great shots though guys, very inspiring stuff.

Speaking of this though, have any of you guys shot warped tour before? I'm currently going through the process of getting my photo pass and was wondering if anyone had experience with it/tips about it.

Ugh, I hate it. I've been on tour with Warped Tour. Brings lots of memory, water and a telephoto for bands on the main stage and frustration fighting with 30 other "photographers" in the pit. Try to shoot from stage if you can.

nicolerork
Feb 9, 2009
Nice shots, not really digging the HDR though.

nicolerork
Feb 9, 2009
Some misc photos I'm just now going through. Haha. Most of them are Chiodos

Anberlin

nicolerork
Feb 9, 2009

Zoowick posted:

Had another promo session today. I wish I could do these full time.

First two are good, not digging the rest mostly due to the post processing.

nicolerork
Feb 9, 2009
Another prime lens to consider:

Canon 35 1.4 L

nicolerork
Feb 9, 2009

rockcity posted:

As for Todd, I just think he has no idea how to use lighting. Everything is waaaay too evenly lit. He just surrounds them with flashes and blasts in a ton of light. It's boring as all hell. He mostly does it outdoor too which means he's matching the sunlight and it loses all depth between the subject and the background.

Agreed. He doesn't know how to use light evenly. All of his promos are way too bright and too wide. The subject just doesn't pop and I get bored. No emotion, no depth of field, etc. Wide angle works for landscape style promos (when the focus is more on the background than the band), but it doesn't work for portraits.

PS: Todd, if you read this, I'm not trying to knock you, I just feel you have a lot of potential and just aren't using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nicolerork
Feb 9, 2009

HPL posted:

If you read the accompanying article, he had about three minutes to do the shots, so you're not exactly going to be getting the most personal of shots in that time. And like I said, Slayer has a fine history of "standing there" promo shots.

I understand what you're saying, but if you know what you're doing, you'd only need three minutes to shoot. Some of my best photos were taken in under three minutes. Of course the setup and prep time took longer, but since I knew exactly what I was going for, the actually shoots were short and easy. Here's a few recent ones:

Set up time: 5 minutes. Shoot time: 2 minutes

Set up time: 3 minutes. Shoot time: 4 minutes

Set up time: 2 minutes. Shoot time: > 1 minute

nicolerork fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 31, 2009