Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I do this as a hobby and have only been paid a couple of times. Although I really can't see me being able to make any more money out of it, especially asking bands for cash for photos of live stuff. There's so much competition in my city (Sydney) that the bands can just just ask someone else to use their photos for free. Even at some of the smaller gigs I've shot, there's usually 5-6 people with chunky DSLRs.

This guy is a local Sydney photographer who graduated from hobbyist up to professional photographer in the space of 4 years or so and he's written a fantastic guide to concert photography

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've got a 50mm f/1.8 and a 28-78mm f/2.8 which I use for smaller clubs/theatres. If I could afford a 70-200mm f/2.8 I'd buy one, I just can't justify the cost for my hobby though. :(

And here are a couple of my better shots:

except for the drat keyboard

psylent fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 14, 2009

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Holy loving poo poo, I've been shooting bands as a hobby for 5 years and I've never bothered using photoshop till NOW

(left is the finished product after about 1 min of editing in photoshop)

MIND BLOWN. Now I have to go through 5 year's worth of photos and "fix" them.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Not autolevels, just played with tint, contrast, brightness, exposure, black levels, warmth and so on. Of course shooting in RAW always helps :)

I'll have to check out autolevels now.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
As stated a bit earlier, I'm new to Photoshop and I'm conscious that I might be over-processing my photos. Do these look OK?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

There we go, a little bit warmer. I'll try not to zombify my band photos :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Zurich posted:

Yeah I meant pretty much shooting from the middle of the pit at a metal gig.
Yeah, if you want to take $1500+ worth of camera gear into the middle of a mosh pit, be my guest :cool:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Get yourself a f/1.8 50mm - they're pretty drat cheap at around US$100. People complain about the build quality, but I've had mine 3 years and have not had a problem with it, it's sharp and fast and brilliant. Once you have one you'll be able to drop your ISO down a bit and avoid all that noise.

I took this photo with it a couple of years ago, and it's still one of the best concert shots I've taken.

psylent fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 22, 2009

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Well done on getting the paid gig, I've been shooting for FasterLouder in Sydney on and off (mostly off) for a few years now as well :)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

MMD3 posted:

don't miss them, Emily Haines is one of the most photogenic front-persons I've ever shot. I've probably shot them 3 times now and every time I end up loving the results.
He's not kidding.

Keyboard stand :argh:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I did band promo shots for a friend's band ages ago and really had no idea what I was doing and wasn't at all happy with the results. I've learnt a lot about post-processing etc since then and I went back and had a look at what I'd done to see if I could improve them.

I made the rookie mistake of shooting in the middle of the day with some very harsh sun, but I really like how these look after editing.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Are any other photographers here based in Sydney? I've got a feeling I'm probably the only one...

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Just got my confirmation for Ben Folds!!!!! At the Opera House!!!!!

Holy poo poo!!!!!
Congrats :) Who are you shooting for?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I've got pretty much the same setup:

Canon 350D
f/1.8 50mm
f/2.8 28-75mm
420ex flash - never actually used this at a show though.

I recently purchased a 10-22mm Sigma lens but I don't know if I'll be able to use it in the poorly lit venues I usually shoot. Those f/2.8 70-200mm lenses are amazing, I borrowed the Canon L from a friend one time while shooting a festival. Tamron at about 1/3 the price, but apparently the autofocus is a bit slow.

I want a 50D :(

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
How big is the band? I'd be asking somewhere around NZD$100 for the hour if they're playing decent sized clubs...

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I used Picasa for years because I was an idiot. I got LightRoom a couple of months ago and it blew my mind. It's absolutely amazing.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

KingColliwog posted:

Crap I'm entering panic mode haha.

One of my friend is a "journalist" for a blog which covers all sorts of music. She got me a Photo pass for a Streetlight Manifesto Show so I can take nice pictures for her.

This will be my first time taking pictures of a live band and I'd like it if at least some pictures were good hahaha.

So basically I'll get there with my 50mm 1.8 lens and camera at ISO 1600 right? I have a very old flash that my father gave me from when he took picture (an old vivitar electronic flash 2000), is it worth it to learn how to use it for that show or are you usually fine with the stage lights?

I guess I'd like any tips and tricks that would have helped you on your first show.
Read this: http://www.boudist.com/archive/2007/02/07/concert-photography-masterclass.php

Basically, shoot in aperture mode, spot metering, set your ISO to 800 or 1600 (lower if there's enough light) and go for it. Shoot in RAW mode.

psylent fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 18, 2009

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
What software are you using to run your site?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
http://blog.photoshelter.com/corp/2009/07/how-to-take-the-worlds-best-co.html

This guy gives quite a few good tips.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Had a nightmare shoot for a friend's band's album launch last night. Very dim lighting, with a data projector projected right onto the drummer and they also had a bubble blower going half the time. I think it's the first time I've shot a band where the drummer was the best lit person on stage.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
It loving sucks when you miss out on a press pass to the photo pit, here are some shots of Metric from the middle of the crowd:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Saw this girl "Mirrah" support another band the other night, I don't like hip-hop but she was pretty awesome.

She also posed for a couple of portraits for me:

Born in Australia, ancestry is half african/half thai. Lived in the US for 15 years and moved back to Sydney recently.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Four Banger posted:

ALSO gently caress shooting from the crowd. Captain drunks-a-lot and his gay tattoos jumping on your back and trying to shove you out of the way is a pain in the rear end.
Shooting from the crowd does suck, but you've got to remember everyone else is there to see the band and have a good time.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I wanted that! :argh:
Hahha, how many FL shooter are in here? I saw the email for the Sydney party but skipped on it as I had something else on that night.

It's always a gamble with FL, I sometimes don't bother buying tickets to certain gigs in the hope of getting a pass through the site but usually end up getting hosed over and missing out. It seems pretty competitive in Sydney anyway.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Just shot a band in a small club where the lighting was static dim red and purple lights :suicide:

Made images coming from my 7D look like they came from a loving cell phone:

Had a friend of mine hold the flash while I shot the band, it didn't work out like I wanted, but it looked better than the other poo poo I got:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
To be honest, it's the first gig I've shot with my 7D and I was experimenting to see how high I could push the ISO with lenses that aren't quite so fast.

My "standard" lenses for shooting bands are my Canon 50mm f/1.8 and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, I thought I might be able to use my ultra wide Sigma by pushing the ISO up to 4000-6400, but obviously the light was a bit too poo poo for that.

I'll play around with the red channel tonight when I get home and post the results, but from my experiences in the past it just kind makes things a bit purple. Obviously I need to experiment more with it!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
What was the lighting setup for that shot?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

pr0digal posted:

rockcity got it right,
Thanks for this, I upgraded to the 7D/580ex about a month ago and I'm trying to get my mind around using the flash off camera like this. I've got an umbrella, but it looks like I'll need a softbox too.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
You should listen to your friend Billy Zane... he's a cool dude.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
The one and only Jarvis Cocker:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Do any of you do anything with your photos? I've printed five of my favourite shots out and had them mounted on particle board (A4 sized) which are now stuck on my wall.

I also had this:

Turned into this:

and then printed on canvas and mounted.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

KingColliwog posted:

You got some artist to do that for you? It's awesome, I want this to be done to some of my pictures!!
Fellow goony goon Beanpants did that for me for $30, here's the original thread and here's the thread where he offers his services.

psylent fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 10, 2009

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm shooting a friend's band tomorrow night in a venue with really lovely lighting. I've got permission to set up some lighting. I've got a 420EX and a 580exII that can be triggered remotely from my 7D.

I've got poles at both ends of the stage where I can attach my flashes, the roof it quite low as well. You can see my amazing diagram below:

Any suggestions on how I should set this up? I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to setting up my own lighting :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Should I be bouncing them off the roof or pointing them down at the band?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
The stage lights are usually just dim red/blue lights - so there's not a lot to think about there.

The 7D has a flash commander built in, it can trigger the other two flashes from the pop-up flash.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Bed now. This light is from overhead projector, not remote flash. Looks pretty good for 6400 ISO though!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I present to you, the shittiest concert photography experience I've ever had: Moby at the Sydney Opera House.

Five photographers were kept outside the venue for an HOUR waiting for the label's PR person to show up to let us in. Once we were let in we were kept to the far sides of the venue, and had rather lovely lighting for the first three songs.

Only had 50mm and 28-75mm lenses with me, so please enjoy my heavily cropped and incredibly lovely Moby photos:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Oh and I got stiffed on the parking and had to pay $32 for leaving my car parked for 80 mins.

I'll stick to smaller clubs in the future, that was not fun.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

2ndclasscitizen posted:

With you there. Never gonna shoot anything there again.
Wait, you were actually there? Or at the Opera House on another night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in Sydney last night but couldn't get a media pass. If you ever get a chance to photograph them make sure you do, amazing lighting, awesome costumes and Karen O really knows how to strike a pose.