Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
The Crooked Photo Contracts

Dan Boud wrote up an article about this very topic. That contract is bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I saw The Decemberists, I was bereft of media pass, but Colin Meloy was nice enough to almost jump on me towards the end of the show:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

fenner posted:

I dont know anything about the music scene here in Sydney, I dont know any bands or anything. What is my best option for getting into some gig photography? Should I just show up at some random gigs of bands i can find on facebook or whatever and then try and sell them after the show via facebook?

Or maybe shoot some random gigs for free which would maybe get me some attention in the "scene"
Almost no bands will want to buy your photos as they have no money, also there are usually anywhere between 2-5 people snapping away with DSLRs at any moderately popular band's gig. At the last Essential Festival I was one of 13 photographers lined up in front of some no-name band on a tiny stage in 34B. It was ridiculous.

I've been shooting bands in Sydney for a few years, you can take your camera to pretty much any small venue, ie Spectrum/Oxford Art Factory/Gaelic/The Forum, get down the front and then shoot away.

If you want to shoot at the Metro or the Enmore, go right ahead - just get there early and line up with the fans.

If you want to get press passes so you can shoot from the photo pit you can sign up to become a contributor to places like fasterlourder/inthemix/accessallareas - but you'll need samples of music photography to get that far. Also, I've found the photo editor at Faster Louder really only give out the good gigs to their bestest buddies, so you'd basically have to suck up to them and attend all their parties to make any progress there. Anyone who's not in the clique gets stuck with the leftovers - which is why I'll be shooting Black Lips at the Manning Bar next Monday.

Drum Media and Brag don't "accept unsolicited material".

I think the best approach is to start a website, go see small bands take photos of the bands, take photos of the fans. Put them up on your site, do this a LOT. Get some cheap business cards made out and hand them out to everyone you take photos of. You'll get known this way. I'd do it, but I'm married and can't be bothered going out 2-4 nights a week shooting bands and not getting paid for it anymore.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I email early and get ignored, I reply to the group emails within 5 minutes and get a reply back a week later saying "oh soz everything is gone" or with my 3-4th preference if I'm lucky. It's a community thing and I understand that, if I was to get more involved I'd probably get better gigs, but eeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhh.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

You should really just shoot what you like, and it really helps to shoot music you like, too.
This is pretty much what I do now. Although it means I have to get to venues ultra early to shoot from anywhere near the front. I'm getting too old to stand around with a bunch of hyped up students for 3 hours waiting for the band to come on.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
He can make that face and he still gets to sleep with some of the hottest women in the world. I'd hate to see his O face.

VVVV: She looks like someone who's going to have a lot of plastic surgery in the future.

psylent fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 8, 2010

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
That's hosed up. I've had a few run-ins with over-zealous security guys, but never anything like that.

Meanwhile - shooting from the side of stage hanging onto a speaker stack with one hand to stop myself falling over:

Black Lips in Sydney

psylent fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 8, 2010

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Piss stains don't show on robot suits.

Did you also like her penis?

(Good shots!)

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/about#contribute is how I got in.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Cyberbob posted:

Cheers.

Is there any middle steps to take between signing up for a new profile, and adding a new photo album? Does it then get published if good enough etc?
Go to fasterlouder staff parties and make friends, that will help. If you're friends with the people who allocate the gigs you'll get the best ones.

Yes, I'm a bit jaded by the whole experience, I'm a bit over shooting for free.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Email/call him saying "XXX is coming to town, can we organise a media pass for me?"

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

You browse the forums in a bar? :reject:
Easy enough to do from a phone.

If I don't have a friend or other random photographers to chat with I usually read an eBook on my phone if I'm waiting by myself

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Shot Tegan & Sara tonight. Drinking before the gig + confusion about the schedule meant that I missed the first song and went running through the crowd into the photo pit and darted around like a drunk maniac with my camera for the two songs I had left

I did give my spare tickets to a nice lesbian couple who kept buying me drinks. It turns out if you're drunk and you have a good camera it's very easy to make new friends. Hooray! It also turns out if you're drunk you forget about putting any thought into composing anything properly.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but when I see a band without taking my camera along I usually end up standing a bit further back in the crowd and I'm surrounded by people taking photos of the bands with their phone/their point and shoots set to auto and it drives me crazy.

Why do they bother? All they get is a blur of colour or the back of people's heads. I shouldn't let it ruin my evening, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

HPL posted:

I'd like to give a shout out to the sound man at the show I went to tonight. Some chick was like: "Take a picture of me!" so I'm like: "*sigh* Okay." It happens all the time while I'm shooting a show. I take the picture, they're happy. No biggie. But this time...

...she then proceeds to flash her boobs and just then the backlighting on stage brightened up for nearly perfect crowd lighting.
I don't believe you. :colbert:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Ahhh, the joys of shooting in dimly lit bars.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Anti_Social posted:

This girl is really good at promos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuckwithpins/sets/72157606005048763/
She does too, and she's 19. drat all these talented kids!

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Canon 7D - 6400 ISO, bitches

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
It looks like there were 4 people there in total. How many were actually there?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

rockcity posted:

Did posed shoots with Andrew WK
MUST. SEE.

I would love to do something like that, I'd just live in fear that nothing I did could live up to the awesomeness that is AWK.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

pr0digal posted:

One of the photographers that I ran into at my Warped date said he was a really humble and down to earth guy when she photographed him

*edit* with link to photos http://www.victoriamorse.net/?p=151
I've been to one of his shows (he doesn't get out to Australia nearly enough), and that's the exact impression he gives off. He just seems like a really genuine guy who just wants everyone to have an awesome time :3:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

I, Butthole posted:

Are there really a whole bunch of people who could contribute all hailing from one city? I know there's two or three people from Sydney, but I can't recall anyone else from Brisbane.

I'd definitely be down for it.
Sydney here, I'd definitely up for it. I'm sick of picking up whatever scraps Faster Louder's best buddies don't feel like taking.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

didi-mau posted:

- I'm from Melbourne

I, Butthole posted:

Just felt that sting today at Splendour.

"So when am I going to get ahold of my pit pass?"

"OH later when xxx has a break. Until then take social photos!"

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Another Sydney photog, shooting pretty much everything.

Well that's Sydney (me too!), Melbourne and Brisbane covered.

There's the Hobogestapo guys, Already Bored shoots for them and posts here too.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

AtomicManiac posted:

I'm not familiar with the USD/AUD exchange rate (last I checked it was 1:1.50 or something like that), but I can get a domain for like $10 USD, I don't know what the cost of adding it on to my hosting is, but I imagine it's a bit cheaper.
Times have changed friend, AUD$1 = US$0.91

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

HPL posted:

What particular problems were you having? I shot with a 400D for a while before upgrading to a 40D.
Agreed, I shot with the 350D for 3 years. My only lenses were a 50mm f/1.8 and a 28-75 f/2.8

Work on your composition a bit dude.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, I hope Andrew WK brings that show with him when he tours Australia next year.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

I, Butthole posted:

I just got my confirmation that I'm being put in the pit at BDO (pending promoter confirm) so I hope to fricking gosh hey does. And hopefully not clash with Iggy Pop or LCD Soundsystem because I WILL KILL
Who do you shoot for?

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Wow, I've never heard of AUReview before. I lost interest in FL as well, it's very cliquey in Sydney and I couldn't be bothered kissing butt to get better gigs.

I just realised I haven't shot a gig since May. Woe is me :(

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
First show I've shot in about 6 months. I don't get out much any more:

A band from Melbourne called Alpine. They were pretty decent. It seems like I was loving me some portrait orientation this evening.

psylent fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 5, 2010

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

"WAITING FOR THE drat BAND"

Shooting in a small club with nice lighting, the show was sold out so I had no room to move. Another photographer squeezed her way to the front and I noticed her shooting a 50mm at 1/15 ISO200 f/1.8 - I helped her out by getting her to bump her ISO up to 1600, switching the shutter speed to 1/100s and changing her white balance to tungsten from flash. Magically her photos weren't orange blurry messes. :sci101:

psylent fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 19, 2010

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Good article on getting paid for live gigs by Dan Boud

quote:

I worked out some time ago that shooting live music photos is no way to make a living. Concert photos are a dime a dozen. Most shows have at least ten accredited photographers shooting them, not to mention the dozens of people photographing from the crowd.

Everyone is getting very similar photos. We all use pretty much the same cameras and lenses. The show we shoot tours around the country with the same staging night after night. Every week hundreds and thousands of adequately professional photos of an artists performance are produced.

There’s lots of supply but where’s the demand?

Magazines, newspapers and websites might run your photos, but don’t expect to make money from it.

You might get $20 if you’re shooting for street press. You might make a wee bit more if your shot makes it to one of the few local monthly music mags. If you’re shooting for a website you’ll likely get nothing. If you’re shooting for an agency you’ll likely make peanuts unless something out of the ordinary happens at the show. The daily papers don’t usually use a photo with their reviews and if they do it’ll be shot by a staffer or pulled from a wire service.

The fact is when i look around a photo pit these days i can tell most people aren’t getting paid for it. They’re shooting for fun. It’s a hobby they have after they knock off their day job. They get a ticket to a show, shoot quite reasonable shots on their digital SLR the day job bought, and supply the photos to a website or paper that doesn’t pay them for their work. The photographers payment is a ticket to the show and the kudos they get when publishing the shots and getting comments like “Great capture!” or “I wish i had your job!”.

And who am i to begrudge these people? That was me. That’s how i learned my craft. I used to shoot hundreds of shows for little reimbursement. But not anymore. Ego boosting web comments aren’t enough to sustain me.

The pictures you see here were paid for by brands who paid to put on a music event to bring positive publicity to their brands.

Like the artists who receive a healthy paycheck to play corporate or branded events, i’m quite willing to do the same to photograph them. Sure, I feel a little icky when making sure i frame branding into shots, when my instincts would be to crop it out. But that discomfort is short lived. The cash that pays for my rent and camera gear makes up for that.

This is not a rant to implore people not to shoot for free or lambast publications that don’t pay. That horse has well and truly bolted. But thankfully there’s still the odd job that’ll pay fairly, and if it means shooting some logos and drinks and mobile phones to go with the performance shots then i’m all for it.
I think he's right on the money here. I only shoot for fun now, I'm sick of shooting for local websites who seem to try and make you feel like they're doing you a favour by providing them with free content.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
One year ago today, I met and shook the hand of Mr Jarvis Cocker.

Here is a photo I took back in 2006 to celebrate this great day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=monyiOsoKxg

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Just saw Marina and The Diamonds:

She's a pretty amazing performer. No photo pass/pit, so I just had to politely make my way through the crowd and shoot from where ever I could.

psylent fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 30, 2010

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Shot The National today in Sydney. I've never had trouble taking my camera into this particular venue (Enmore Theatre) but today security stopped me and told me I couldn't take it in. I went to another door and showed them my ticket for the other door and said I just wanted to pop in and buy a t-shirt from this area. They let me through, I got my t-shirt and met up with my friends. Still had to shoot from 7-8 rows back in the middle of the crowd, but whatchagonnado. All being said, I loving love the reach of the f/1.8 85mm on a crop sensor (7D).

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
A N D R E W W K

I couldn't get anywhere near the stage, I wasn't going to risk my camera gear in the mosh pit. loving love this guy.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

I, Butthole posted:

One of the best things I shot at Big Day Out, and I'm kicking myself that I have a trip to Sydney in like, two days rather than the 25th when he played :(
He's the best. So much drat energy, the crowd feeds off him and he feeds off the crowd until it's one crazy energy loop that defies the laws of thermodynamics.

It was impossible to get any closer to the stage than I did, I wasn't going to risk going into the mosh pit with my gear. Luckily there were some chairs to stand on which helped me get a few of my shots.

To add more content. I just love when you line up your shot, the lighting hits just right, and then the lead singer backs into the shot right as you click the button:

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
They look like a pretty awesome band to shoot.

I'm going to a small music festival tomorrow, I couldn't get a media pass so I'm going to attempt to smuggle my old 350D and a 30mm lens in.

I have a plan.

Have another ticket stub shot:

36/365

psylent fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 5, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Thanks, I tweeted it to him and also the venue a while back but haven't had any response so :unsmith:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Death by Cranes posted:

2 - I really want a better objective and have been thinking about getting the Canon 18-135mm IS. But Sigma has a 18-200mm IS (OC it's called), but I don't see myself needing more zoom. A gig place is only so big, and I'd rather have a real Canon objective. So I guess I answered my own question there.
Both of these lenses are almost much useless for shooting concerts. Look at getting one (or more) from each of the following categories:

Zooms:
Tamron f/2.8 17-50mm (lots of people recommend this but I've never used it)
Tamron f/2.8 28-75mm
Canon f/2.8 24-70mm (L lens, rather expensive)

Primes:
Canon f/1.8 85mm
Canon f/1.8 50mm
Canon f/1.4 50mm
Sigma f/1.4 30mm

Personally, I carried the Tamron 28-75 and Canon f/1.8 50mm for years with my 350D and got really good use out of them. I've now got a 7D with the Canon L 24-70, but tend to use the Sigma 30mm and Canon 85mm more than anything.

You need fast lenses for shooting bands, and the super zooms just won't cut it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Death by Cranes posted:

To your thoughts on the f/3.5-5.6 zooms, I have to say I'm really impressed with the pictures I posted, but your point is well taken.
Yeah they do look surprisingly good, but their weakness will show very quickly as soon as you try to use them in a venue with a bit less light.