Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Prissy Clerks; Now, Now; Jukebox the Ghost, Matt Pond, The Lighthouse and the Whaler

Finally shelled out for a 60D, at least for the last 3 sets. It's so much nicer having a real continuous mode and a second dial, though I did finally figure out the button setup to adjust all of ISO, aperture, and shutter in manual on the old T3. Also discovered that Corel's post software works well on Linux, and while the interface isn't as easy as Lightroom's, it's better than the rest of the (completely unusable) Linux market, and will suffice while I'm stuck without my main workstation. Excited enough to shoot both band and dancers for Bajofondo next weekend that I'm planning on renting 85mm and 35mm primes; looks like the venue doesn't care if you're using an SLR as long as you abide by the no flash/first three sets rule. What the hell is the logic around not allowing "professional" cameras without a press pass, especially if the venue isn't large enough to have a photo pit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Bajofondo in Minneapolis. More bands should have a bandeon, because giant concertinas are loads of fun to shoot. Didn't get him making a giant arch overhead or having the crowd holding onto one half because of the three-set rule, but still awesome.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

So shooting bands is fun, there is a local Village Voice network newspaper here, I feel like I could produce work that meets their standards and have the beginnings of a portfolio at least, where do I go to try and actually get work on assignment from them? Just show up at their office and ask? Print stuff? How do I present it? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

LOTT and fun with slow shutter speeds:

Low in black and white and color:

The Apache Relay and one okay shot of Trampled by Turtles from back in the crowd before my battery died.

Hopefully next month I will have a 50mm again.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Fooling around with different stuff for post. DxOMark seems to do generally good defaults for a lot of its adjustments, but its interface is god-awful and it seems like it's easier to just do everything in Lightroom, even if I have to fool around more to get what I want. Adjustment brushes are a godsend for killing LED light washes in the corners. Not as good as AfterShot/Bibble's stuff was before Corel hosed it up, but it's enough.

Also killing myself for not shooting at a tad quicker shutter speed, as there's some motion blur in faces and for once the lights were bright/good enough that I could have brought stuff up in post. Oh well.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

ReverendHammer posted:

I hope that guy was either with the band or at least got permission for poo poo like that.

Just out of curiosity: how does everyone else work around crowds/bands/other photogs, especially in smaller venues where there typically isn't any sort of photo/film policy in place? Usually with the music genres I tend to cover I know quite a few of the people who will be covering as well and I know how to work around them. And usually if I see anyone with a camera who looks like they'll be sticking around for a while I'll go talk to them. But probably my biggest thing is to stay out of the way of the fans. Which is a where a zoom lens can really come in handy. As far as bands go as long as I stay out of their way they're usually happy with people taking pics.

I usually figure video people are with the band/venue/some publication that's in contact with the band, because doing good concert video is (I assume) a lot of work and not something you're going to do just for fun.

Staying out of the way of the crowd/other photographers isn't hard with normal primes if you have situational awareness (which you develop pretty quickly) and aren't staying in one place for the entire show so long as the venue isn't extremely crowded. The best places to take photos are usually off to the sides anyway, or if you are in front, crouched (figuring most venues without a pit don't have really stages). Fans I'll do a quick shoulder tap/ask to trade places for a second and most people are fine doing so. Other photographers will probably move somewhere else on their own if they can.

For really crowded shows I don't bother trying, though I've never been on assignment for anyone where there'd be a need to.

Content edit:

I was amused by someone having an ME Super with an official SXSW tag (not in frame but trust me it's there):

At 6 days in I'm up to something like 7000 photos. Many sleepless nights doing review/post await. In the meantime, relatively decent unedited JPEGs!

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 21, 2015

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

DxO gives better results if I try at it but I prefer Lightroom's interface, even with DxO now having better integration with Lightroom. My workflow is disorganized enough to begin with; having multiple tools makes it worse. Anyway, content:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

After a long time out of the game, some Chui Wan and (not quite--their drummer got denied a visa so it was actually just Zhang Shouwang and one of the Liu Xinyu of Chui Wan playing an experimental set) Carsick Cars, because you can't loving miss Maybe Mars shows in the US:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

aw yeah dubble postin.

Moon Hooch is one of the best live acts I've ever seen, and I was quite happy to get to finally see them again after 3 years. Opening was

LEDs and slow shutter does uh... interesting things to metalic objects in motion:

CONE:

fluid:

stare:

ALL FURY TO THE MOOG:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Sharizard posted:

Also, here's some content. An old band that I really enjoy just started playing shows again. I felt like I could have done better with this photo. Make it more contrasty, perhaps?

The Coldies @ Quencher's Tavern by Shara Miller, on Flickr

Contrast as-is fine. With most concert lighting there's only so far you can go without everything getting really posterized (which is sometimes desirable, sometimes not). Drummers more than any other part of a band will tend to give you a lot of opportunities for capturing motion and dramatic lines because they're moving so much, if you get lucky enough that they're not obscured by everyone else/their drumset/lack of lighting. Sometimes you'll get very lucky and the venue will have some sort of interesting overlook that will allow for good drummer side shots--if you have a flippy screen camera you can often find somewhere you can one-hand an overhead shot to get an interesting angle. Fortunately drummers allow you to set focus once and then spray and pray, since they're seated and can't walk in and out of focus as much as guitarists.

Unless you have the luxury of a venue that has both good lighting and space to move to get good shots (few and far between) or can use flash (because the artists have employed you and given you permission) you'll be at the mercy of whatever contrast you can get (but again, what you have in the shot above is fine), so focus on finding as many interesting angles/compositions as you can. For that you'll often be at the mercy of the crowd/venue layout, but that's a matter of either shooting a band you like in as many venues as possible or getting to know a venue really well and showing up at shows with a smaller audience (always show up for the opening acts because you'll have more space to move around).

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Inaugural Far From Moscow Festival: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fivre/albums/72157674573097993/with/31536247370/

Ilya Lagutenko continues to be the king of "well, that's an interesting expression. pick" shots.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 31, 2016

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

BetterLekNextTime posted:

My brother-in-law's band had a show in a small club on Saturday and I brought my camera for fun to try to get some shots. This was my first time shooting musicians like this. I usually shoot wildlife and landscapes, so trying to get moving people in a dark room with hosed up lighting was definitely a challenge, but A) it was super fun B) it's really hard and I'm so impressed with the stuff I saw in this thread when I skimmed through before the show.

If there's a next time, I'll definitely try to be bolder and move around more.

Tom-6213 on Flickr

That is a drat good shot. Killer face that draws you to some intense hands.

Navigating the minefield of the crowd to try and grab some tiny instant of the lighting and performers cooperating is what I love most about concert shoots. I only wish post were anywhere near as fun.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

finally shot a show after an... idk, 8-year break from concert photography between bay area venues leaning more towards the "we're overly self-important and viciously enforce rules against 'professional' cameras" side of things, lifestyle changes, pandemics, and so on

i forgot how hard this poo poo was. venue lighting actively hates sensors and lenses, and i aint as practiced at navigating moshing crowds as i used to be

undecided as to whether my current all manual focus kit is harder to wrangle decent shots out of than it was trying to trick my old 60D's AF system into not loving up

that said, producing a bunch of work you're ultimately disappointed in is arguably appropriate for an AJJ show

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

i got a used X100S thinking i would use it when i dont want to (or cant) lug around my full kit, and generally have entirely not done so!

finally bothered to use it for guerilla crowd shots of essentially unknown in the US, apparently quite popular in China outfit Wutiaoren (五條人): https://jakenewby.substack.com/p/soviet-pop-a-compilation-of-music#%C2%A7some-other-scenery-anti-pop-act-wutiaoren-go-to-harvard

it's eh, not bad. the AF is much better in concert lighting than id have thought. kinda too wide unless you can get right up next to the stage, which is generally not the case in SF (everything here is too drat crowded)

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 6, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

But no clue how they sneak them in past walkthrough metal detectors.

most camera poo poo these days is primarily plastic composites because weight

im surprised those venues just use metal detectors and not full bag searches though. US venues are tightasses about that sorta thing

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Slotducks posted:

I think ultimately no matter the scenario, shooting the same thing, or same place, time and time again will lead to feelings of stagnation and potential frustration.

I like to think that even the photographers who tour with bands get bored of shooting the same band time and time again. Especially if the lighting is pre-programmed! (have confirmed this with touring photographers)

eh, as long as it's different bands whatever. you're shooting them, not the venue. i miss having more regular spots because i already knew all the good angles and lighting setup, and could focus more on the band

sleepytime gorilla museum's homecoming show was a real treat despite not connections not coming through for a proper photo pass (fortunately door security was less than diligent about ensuring i actually took the proper camera to claim check), being stuck in one spot for the same reason, and a combination of being way out of practice, technical difficulties, and using kit i havent really used for concerts before (there's definitely a limit to what i can reliably hit with manual focus in lighting that confuses the focus assist peaking). the store show was more forgiving in that regard

probably the first and last metal show ill see that also features a balto-slavic women's choir

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Woodenlung posted:

I dont know what is going on here... but I like it haha

that's a pretty accurate description of the show in general. while the official taping is still in editing the guy next to me got decent video, even if the audio is pretty muddy (good enough to get the effect of the choir along with the band though): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiQW1wFoaLU&t=2102s

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm trying to get back into this, after a bit of a rough patch I'm going out to more local shows. So many talented friends. I wish I'd never sold my 24-70mm f/4; I only bring my two primes to shows and switching between them so often is tough and anxiety-inducing. I also need to work more on a style before I start pushing for more paid gigs - I don't think my photos are bad per se, but they are bland and unoriginal.

you would shoot (what appear to be) house shows at f/4? i know sensors are much better nowadays but drat. granted i shot half of my last show at f/8 (because lol manual focus 110mm) but that was with pro lighting

switching primes just takes practice and a good bag you can wear on your front

ed: the other fun bit is you're gonna have a lot of "oh, this is not the focal length i wanted for shot x" that forces you to find some other composition in whatever focal length you currently have attached, which is good for finding shots you wouldn't have otherwise

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 15, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Can you recommend a tiny little front pack I can fit one or two lenses in? I could wear my Peak Design pack but it's enormous. (Also, 'peak design' my rear end, I'm not hard on my gear but that bag is falling apart; the shoulder strap routinely comes undone causing it to almost fall)

https://tenba.com/tenba-solstice-7l-sling-bag-black/ rotates around to become a little platform with the compartments facing up. i fit 4 (admittedly small, it'd be much harder to fit the chunky sigma art lenses in it) lenses and the body in it

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

more properly edited time. i need to cull some close duplicates out of the album but im trying to force myself out of the habit of never bothering to publish stuff because im trying to do further post and selection

main takeaway aside from probably not being able to use manual focus throughout (a shame, those lenses are much more compact, and most of my AF lenses don't have the much nicer on-lens aperture control) is that i definitely need to set the auto ISO limiter. i had forgotten how metering is a crapshoot under colored spots, and doubly so with lack of spot metering (i guess the body will still use the spot under the AF point cursor for manual lenses, but i wasn't setting it most of the time). sony doesn't have the nigh-unusable chroma noise above 1600 like my old canon, but it's still eating more detail than i would like at 12800 when 6400 or 3200 would have been more than enough to push in post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Is he wearing some bright rear end lights or did you catch that god angle? Either way its cool as hell

very much lights built into the glasses

ed: forgot the guy next to me got video lol

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 17, 2024