Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
A couple of my recent concert forays. All from Madrid.

Curtis
Curtis by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Eluveite
Eluveite by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Arkona
Arkona by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Is the double exposure done in camera or did you do it in post?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Can you talk a bit about how you balance your colours in strong stage lights? I see a few shots where the band is bathed in strong blue or red light but the skin tones are still recognisable. When I've tried processing pictures with similar lighting, I've had terrible trouble getting back to anything approaching a realistic colour balance. Often the only way to salvage an image has been to convert it to black and white. Red LED spotlights are particularly bad for it I've found.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

HPL posted:

One thing I find that helps is to underexpose by 1/3 of a stop. LED stage lights blow out easily because they are strong in narrow bands of lights that they use to make up one colour or another. That particular colour may not be the colour that the camera sensor is designed to pick up well so the camera will overexpose things illuminated in that colour. If you underexpose, you can do a little trickery to recover highlights, but if the photo was properly exposed as the sensor figured it should be, the highlights may be blown out in certain areas. Conventional lighting isn't so bad because it emits light across the whole visible spectrum to one degree or another so the sensor can deal with it.

The reason B&W conversions work so well in these cases (at least as far as I can figure) is because once you take the particular blown-out colours out of the equation, you're left with the rest of the image which is fine.

I have noticed that newer sensors are better at dealing with LED lighting than older sensors, most likely because it's more of an issue now and the sensor companies have learned to adapt somewhat plus newer sensors have better dynamic range so they can go farther before blowing out than older sensors. Post processing software like Lightroom and DxO Optics Pro are better at handling LED lighting as well. I use DxO which has a colour recovery slider and it works great at bringing colour highlights back to earth.

Here's a short and simple video showing the spectrum differences between various light sources:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoAZ-u6hn6g

I was shooting on a 70D and exposing properly. Here are some examples of what I'm talking about.

This one I had to desaturate and dial all the way back otherwise the highlights on the dude's forehead made it look like his face was on fire.

Skalmold by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Likewise this one, there are still hotspots but it's nowhere near as bad as it was.

Another one that only works in monochrome.

Arkona by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to be shooting a dance company this Friday, I was dreading trying to compensate for their lighting.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 16, 2015

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

HPL posted:

You shot a concert with an 18-200? Wow, that's something you may want to look into changing up. Cranking up the ISO won't do any wonders for your highlight recovery. With an f/2.8 lens, you could dialed it back from 12800 to 3200 and gained a ton of image quality and dynamic range.
I didn't know where I was going to be. I wasn't an accredited photographer, I was just a guy in the audience with a camera. I didn't want to bring a bag of lenses to a metal concert and I had no idea how close to the stage I'd be able to get. As it happened, I was right up against the stage so my 17-50mm f2.8 would have been perfect...

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Golluk posted:

I've been working in full manual (including focus), except for white balance. Is that common? Or should I be letting the camera do a bit more of the work?

I don't know about common, but generally I shoot concerts in shutter priority at about 1/250 for general purpose action shots. I might switch to full manual for some stuff or if the lighting is very static but that doesn't happen very often. The advice I got a few posts up to shoot 2-3 stops underexposed is good too, I was taking some pictures last weekend of a stage bathed in red and blue LED spots and I was able to get a better colour balance and no blown-out highlights.

IMG_2136.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_2066.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Edit: naturally, these are the two that I had to desaturate and de-vibrance the poo poo out of to get them to work...

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 7, 2015

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I got invited to shoot a Georgian* electrofolk band last week. The concert was pretty fun and the group had a strong visual image.

untitled-253.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-29.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

untitled-258.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

*The country, not the state.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
A lot of places/bands limit photography to the start of the set only - first three songs is a pretty common limit.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Went to see Public Image Ltd last night. Really ace gig and I got my camera past security. Unfortunately the only long lens I have here is an ancient 100-300 with a variable aperture but I still got some keepers by cranking the poo poo out of the ISO.

John Lydon by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The bottom two don't do much for me but that Iggy Pop photo is fantastic. The Dave Grohl one is close but it's not as good.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sold on your composition for these. The only two from that set that I would consider to be keepers are the second and the fourth but I'd crop them in a lot tighter to lose all the unnecessary space around the performers.

In my view (which you are welcome to disagree with), concert photographs fall into two general sets. Either you're trying to evoke the general experience - wide shots, crowd reactions, staging, etc, or you are essentially producing a working portrait of the performers. For this second type, approach it like any other portrait. You're capturing the person doing their job, interacting with the crowd or other musicians. The photo is all about them and the thing that they are doing. Everything else is framing for that subject.

Your photos are pictures of various rooms with a band in it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Just to add to Execudork's advice above, you'll notice that most photo editing apps have a whole lot of sliders that can be confusing to a newbie. Sometimes the labels are clear enough but not always (like what's the difference between clarity and contrast or between vibrance and saturation?). Luckily there's an easy rule of thumb that applies to all of those sliders. The Left-hAnd end is LAme and the Right-hAnd end is RAd. For more RAd and less LAme, just push them all over as far to the right as they will go.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

. I only wish post were anywhere near as fun.

Looking at you lighting designers that drench the stage in red LEDs.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

teethgrinder posted:

If the lighting is all red, I just assume I'm effectively shooting in black & white

:same:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Old school thrash (Death Angel, Annihilator and Testament) at a tiny club in my town.

IMG_9277.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9674.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9250.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9348.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

I brought a Spotmatic full of Delta 3200 along too.

Spotmatic007.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Spotmatic003.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I ignored the lightmeter and was shooting at 1/60th and f/2 with a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4. I figured that if the lights fell nicely I was going to get something salvageable or I wasn't and that way I only had to deal with focus. I got a bit of fogging on the film so I had to gently caress about with the dehaze tool in Lr to get acceptable contrast. I don't know if I just had bad luck from reflected light or if I managed to gently caress up developing somehow.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's hard to say. The negatives looked foggy when I took them out of the tank. I developed them in 1+25 Rodinal for 11 minutes.

Here it is without edits - just cleanup and inverting.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
No clue. it wasn't in a box, I just had the plastic tub in my fridge. I vaguely remember buying it cheap because the shop had no clue how old it was.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Here's another that I'm really pleased with.

IMG_9712.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's almost always the tour promoter who arranges access for press/photogs/randoms. The venue might have their own rules, but if you are on a list that the promoter has given them, those won't apply to you. If you want pre- or post-concert access to the performers, then that has to be cleared with the promoter and not the venue.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I never use flash at concerts. It really pisses off the performers. Ronan Harris of VNV Nation once took a few minutes out of his set to yell at me specifically because the autofocus lamp on my old 350D was distracting him. If I'd actually been using flash, he'd probably have had me kicked out.

Basically, I figure the stage lights are going to fall nicely for me or they aren't, if they do then the flash isn't going to add a lot at the relatively slow speeds I'd be shooting at. if they don't, then I'm not going to get a usable shot regardless of my flash.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Napalm Death at the tiny metal club around the corner from my apartment.

IMG_0264.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_0370.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_0578.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_0470.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Medium Format (Arax, Volna 80mm, Ilford XP2 Super)

Arax014.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Arax023.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I shot a bellydance showcase a few weeks ago and only just finished editing all of the photos - there were over 2000 of them before I started culling and I got it down to just over 300 by the end (all of the performers want shots of their segment).

IMG_0118.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_1389.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_0732.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Shot some riotgrrl bands a few weeks ago.

IMG_9954.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9925.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_0062.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_9847.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Jo Quail supporting Wardruna

Wardruna07.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Wardruna08.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Wardruna

Wardruna09.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Mamiya C3, Ilford 3200

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I wrote this for Kosmofoto a few weeks ago.

https://kosmofoto.com/2022/05/shooting-concerts-on-medium-format/

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The Baby Seals

IMG_1438-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_1464-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_1418-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Shot a benefit for Urkainian refugees in a tiny pub at the weekend. Some local musicians, some visiting Ukrainian performers. I brought the Kiev 60 loaded with Ilford 3200 as it seemed appropriate for the occasion.

The stage was cramped so none of the performers were moving around at all and the lighting was some cheap coloured LEDs plus the pub's ambient lighting.

Ukraine Benefit01-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Ukraine Benefit30-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_3479-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Digital:

IMG_3424.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_3436.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The record label for my drum teacher's band asked me to shoot their headline gig.

The baby Seals

IMG_3757.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_3768.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_3749.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Supprted by Peter Cat

IMG_3590-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

And Jeremy Tuplin

IMG_3657.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Went to see The Nosferatu with Inkubus Sukkubus in support.

InkySukk

IMG_5612-Edit-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5650-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5641-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

The Nosferatu

IMG_5768-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

[
url=https://flic.kr/p/2pig7wG]IMG_5787-Edit-Edit.jpg[/url] by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5801-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr