Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I've done quite a bit of this for friend's bands and it's been a ton of fun. I've used exclusively Sony cameras and have had good luck with them. I recently upgraded from a fixed-lens F-828 into an Alpha-350 and it's my first DSLR. I've still got the OEM 18-70 lens and will probably go fixed at some point since the MP count is high enough to allow some pretty radical cropping before things get ugly.
The 828 was awesome for concert work. Being able to rotate the body independently of the lens allowed me to shoot over my head and over the heads of the crowd. The tilting LCD+Live view thingy does the same thing now.

Things I've learned:
Don't let a band boss you around. I've done some work for a good friend of mine and he and his wife always demand to get raw unprocessed shots from me immediately. I finally had to put my foot down. MY shots follow MY workflow, and that involves shot selection and spending time in post. If you work for free, there is no goddamn reason to be rushed. I'm contemplating switching to RAW, which will negate the problem entirely, especially since massive CF cards are so drat cheap.
Be polite with security, even if you have a backstage pass. Don't get lovely if you are challenged. You are on their turf.
Carry a calling/business card.
Carry spare batteries, since concert photography is 9/10ths luck which will require you to:
Take a ton of shots. In any live photography environment, composition is a luxury you don't always have. Given the often inconsistent lighting conditions you're not going to catch anything good even 5% of the time unless you're blasting the stage with a flash, and even then you may end up with something lovely.

Over the course of most full-length shows I've blasted off 700+ shots and maybe walked away with a dozen good ones at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Now that's just silliness.
The 828 was a pretty slick little camera for a fixed-lens and it could use CF as well.

quote:

Is the live view AF actually anywhere near fast enough for that in low light?
I mean on my D90 it's just retarded. Just will not work in the dark.
About the only thing I've used that was good enough was the G1.
It's passable. Sony uses a mirror to bounce the light that would be coming through the viewfinder into a small dedicated sensor. The switch between live view and the viewfinder is entirely mechanical. If you're in a situation where you'll need a flash it's less usable.

quote:

Also send them manly pictures of themselves if you work on their turf regularly. Really. 90% of security knows my first name at the couple of venues I shoot at regularly.
drat good idea.
[/quote]

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Scream Machine posted:

Anyone else ever have a problem with hired security at a larger venue? By hired I mean 3rd party security hired by the venue to supplement house security. Even as a teenager I've despised them. I had a situation tonight where I thought I was going to get kicked out over a hired shirt not explaining something completely and trying to put it all on me. Then the dude had the balls to come by and flash his light on me a few times to "make sure".

Anyways, here's a picture of Slug from Atmosphere looking like a hungry baby robin.

I saw them in Seattle a few weeks back. Wow, what a show. Atmosphere was awesome.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Scream Machine posted:

I guess if you wanted to be a real rear end in a top hat you could always get one of those prosumer PSs that Sigma or Lecia make and keep going. I know I could go without my kit lens in my sling bag and tuck one of those in there.
I've been thinking that exact same thing. You can get some drat nice images with the excellent glass those cameras come with and a little bit of post.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Flower Power posted:

I guess this would count as my second concert shot now, 'tis fun!

Excellent work Flower. How much did you have to do in post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

jackpot posted:

You might as well take all your arguments and toss them out the window, after posting that picture as justification for your stance.

But... black and white makes everything artistic and relevant!