Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

thevoiceofdog posted:

My main issue is in how to light this particular setup, where I can move anywhere around (or even on) the stage and use flash as much as I want--I basically have total freedom at these gigs. I feel like I wasn't getting enough light from the flash (set vertical with an index card strapped to it for bounce) and the colored stage lights were showing up too much on the subject as a result. Do you think I should increase the flash +1 EV or rely more on the stage lights for lighting? Either way I probably need to go with faster shutter speeds, some of these have a bit too much blur.
Bring your exposure down 1 stop, let the flash head pick it up through TTL. Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MMD3 posted:

better than boot to the camera?
I like my face the way it is, thank you very much.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jackpot posted:

If cameras were just a little bit smarter, we could program in some neat if/then/else statements. Like "if using auto-ISO always use between 800 and 1600." Or "if ISO is 800-1600 and aperture is wide open, never let shutter go slower than 1/40."
Buy a Nikon SLR :unsmith:

e: auto ISO is programmable and will push it up, but only when it hits the user-defined minimum shutter speed (and aperture wide open in P), and only up to your user-defined acceptable max, and only from then on will it push the shutter speed down. If your manually selected ISO is too high for what your shutter is capable of (but more realistically you just forgot to turn it back down) it'll select a lower sensitivity.

Basically shooting Aperture Prio at base ISO with auto-ISO turned on, it won't let you make an exposure mistake but you retain creative control.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

In this case won't you be re-exposing with your spot sensor whenever you recompose and shoot?
You spot-meter with half-press beforehand. It's kinda the point of putting AF on a dedicated button (that and you can stop continuous AF whenever you want).

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 6, 2011

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

That's some fantastic stuff 8D

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hot Cops posted:

They're a great band to shoot - I fall in love with the singer every time and the lightbulb thingy they do is pretty cool, too.
Hahaha I saw them in Nijmegen a lil'while back. They're very fun indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

Holy gently caress the hardcore style of "fight dancing" or whatever the gently caress is utterly retarded. Holy poo poo.
Nobody has to be in the pit.