Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knux
May 18, 2003

ask me about my cock ring
Shooting bands is all about making friends with bands and having them spread your name. If you take awesome shots of a band they will refer every other band they play with where they got their photos. Myspace is an amazing place for a band photographer to make some cash. Just make everyone that uses your promos throw you in their top 8 and just wait.

Click for big:

Set Up

I used to over post-process my shots but have since toned down into a generally 'normal' looking style.

Live used to be my thing but I havn't been shooting that nearly as much as I used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knux
May 18, 2003

Zoowick posted:

Had another promo session today. I wish I could do these full time.

Favorite image from this thread so far. Everything is so clean in this shot I love it.

Haven't shot too many bands recently, just tons of weddings and people. I did get to shoot the AP tour back in May though so I'll post some shots:

Knux
May 18, 2003

rockcity posted:

Three days of Warped Tour leads to some pretty cool shots. So far this is my favorite.

Heck yeah man. The over saturated sky works well in this shot for sure. Did you use a polarizer or just crank it in post?

Knux
May 18, 2003

Oh Sups Blink-182 / Fall Out Boy show

I met up with the photographer Joe Gall down there and he was kind enough to get a shot of me creepin' on Tom DeLonge:

Knux
May 18, 2003

rockcity posted:

Jeremy Saffer is probably the best example I can give of that.

I'm a little bit late, but god do I hate that guy. Shai Hulud was pushing his book recently at a show and his work is just flat and boring.

Recently shot a promo some dudes who wanted that 'grunge' feel. Here is the original and edit. I normally don't use textures too much, but thought it fit well for what this band was going for.

Original:

Edit:

click for large/strobist info

Knux
May 18, 2003

rockcity posted:

Seriously, if I were slayer I'd have beaten him with my metal chains if he made us look this boring.

It's always really good and inspiring to see awesome photographers get the larger names and see what they can do with them. Joey L usually always pulls through with an awesome shot or idea, then matches it with killer lighting. But when one of those guys gets to shoot a name as monumental as Slayer and they pull some local lovely metal band style shoot, it just makes me think that it depends more on knowing the right people.

Knux
May 18, 2003

Another shoot from over the weekend with a local band. Spent a very good amount of time in getting the color to my liking. I made an animated (and compressed to hell) gif of the original/color corrected/and edited version:

Speaking of quick setups though, this was the first of five shots I was doing before we got kicked out of that place.

Knux
May 18, 2003

New promo that I enjoy a bit. Too bad they've already changed members so they probably won't use it.

Having a good time with cross-processing recently. It's completely changed the time spent in post since now I tweak my colors as much as possible.

Knux
May 18, 2003

Got to shoot another round of Blink again :)

Knux
May 18, 2003

Anti_Social posted:

This shot is the most unique bar far (which is kind of hard to do these days with all these random band photos) but if the lighting was a little more focused on the guys in the front it would be one of my favorites from the thread. The guy in the back getting hit by the sun looks amazing while the other guys look a bit dull (not to mention a few are hiding their faces too much). But hey, I realize you only had a speedlight and reflector so it's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knux
May 18, 2003

My favorite shot from shooting the AP Fall Ball tour. The Academy Is: