Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Eeek posted:

I think I posted that. It's Morgan Rose from Sevendust. Here is his site, which he uses to connect to fans and to sell stuff:

http://alienfreakwear.com/

Notice anything?

Watermark your poo poo, kids.

I'm actually shocked at that. I know Morgan and I know the woman who used to run his site, it used to be full of my photos and she's always asked for my permission to use anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Man, I take a vacation for a week and all kinds of things come up. I'm definitely in for covering the Orlando area.

Here's a couple new edits on some of the promo shots I did while I was at warped tour. I'll have some live stuff to throw up in a bit as well.

The Word Alive

Of Mice and Men

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

pr0digal posted:

I have a quick question in terms of photo usage. As some of you know I recently "re-did" my music photography under a new name (Two Senses) and will be shooting all concerts/doing all promo shoots/any video I do under Two Senses (which hopefully will be indexed by google soon).

Now if I cover a show for Sound Surveillance would I still be able to use the photos for my own site/flickr/portfolio? I'm assuming I would be able to but I just wanted to check.

I highly doubt a single one of us would care if you used your shots on your site too. I shoot for other people and put the photos up on my site regularly.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Sorry to interrupt all the website fun, but have some Warped Tour live photos to sexy up the page.

Crowd during Bring Me The Horizon. (I took this shot using my monopod as a boom arm and firing it with a remote. The camera is about 6 feet above the crowd in the photo.

Eyes Set To Kill

In Fear and Faith

Of Mice & Men

Parkway Drive

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

2) An EP/Album Review.
-Include a shot of the album art or a promo of the band, with a link to purchase/legally download it. Post the review on the day of/after the album drops, no sooner.

I disagree with the last part of this, but only if you can legally obtain a copy. It's really a lot easier than people think to get a press release copy of an album before it comes out. I get ones in the mail that I didn't even ask for. Heck, I still get them at my parent's house back in Michigan. I usually have a few random CD's waiting for me when I go home each time. I've gotten press release copies upwards of 2 months before the album comes out, sometimes it's literally a burnt cd, no packaging, nothing.

That being said, if you do request a press copy of an album it literally can go absolutely no where. No sending rips to friends, no burning copies and definitely no :filez:. It's not unusual for PR companies to put a watermark on promo copies so that if it leaks they can trace exactly where the copy came from. I do not care how much you trust your friend do not give it to him.

I've made an account under my email rockcityphoto at gmail dot com.

I'm not sure I want to be an editor per se, but I'd like to make myself available for advice with anything concerning working with PR and general contacts as I've been shooting shows for 7 years and I have a reasonable amount of experience with getting passes and dealing with PR reps in general. If I get some time this weekend, I'll probably put together a list of some of the better contacts I have right now so that we can put it on a hidden page somewhere that can be updated as our contact database.

pr0digal posted:

A lot of the shows I cover are "pay 10 bucks see a ton of bands in a small space" kinda shows. Would I just pick out the headliner to submit or pick out the best couple of bands in the lineup and submit those?

I'm asking because I rarely shoot single band shows

There really aren't single band shows anymore, that doesn't really happen. I personally see no problem including more than one band in a post as far as I'm concerned. It's pretty common that openers these days are just as big as the headliners too.

Oh and thanks for the compliments on my Warped Tour shots.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 6, 2010

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

This was on my radar too, and I agree it's crazy easy to get press copies well in advance. However, since most of the bands we're going to be covering are likely bands the majority of our readers have never heard of, if we cover something that people can't go "That sounds cool I'm gonna download it" the odds of them actually remembering to go get it are REALLY SLIM. If people still don't like that, I'll ammend the rule and say that you can pre-review an album on 2 conditions: 1) They're an established, big name band. And/Or 2) They give us a single that we can release to our readers as a free download.

I agree for smaller bands, but I'd say for anyone who has fairly common recognition, getting the review out beforehand is better than the day it releases and publicists seem to like it when it's out ahead of time.

The other thing to consider is tour previews for larger package tours. Publicists eat that up. I can't tell you how many times I got asked if I could do a tour preview when I worked for the newspaper at my university.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Jesus that was 6400??? God damnit, I want a 5D mkII so bad. It's making me seriously consider jumping to a 7D soon if the high ISO is anywhere near as good on that.

Edit: drat you top of page, that was in reference to pr0digal's photo.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

I'm sure there are other great solutions, such as NoiseNinja, but I cannot laud the noise-correcting capabilities of Lightroom 3. I've never used a previous version, but it's apparently a vastly superior upgrade from previous versions.

See, but there's a difference between general noise reduction and overall crispness and image quality. No amount of noise processing after the fact on my 40D would get even close to that if I shoot above 1600. It'll make the blacks a lot less noisy, but not still really crisp and detailed.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

fronkpies posted:

This was at 800 on a 7d with a 50 1.4, ignoring how poo poo the picture is, the noise is really low (hardly there even) considering it was well after midnight and really, really dark.

You really missed the focus on that one. That's the hard part about shooting at 1.4 with a subject that close.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Anti_Social posted:

So I just realized dxo optics doesn't support anything less than full sized raw files. anybody have a clever idea for a work around?

I'm betting no, as I'm sure it actually needs that extra information and pixels to be able to actually do its job. I highly doubt it could work correctly with cropped photos.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

Don't do it. Telephotos are so persnickety about focus compared to normals or wides. It's fine if you want to use it in a situation where you can take your time, but that doesn't happen too often in concert land. If you want to try out manual focusing, grab a cheap 50mm and an adapter and have a go at it or flip your AF lenses into manual mode. Just keep in mind that at concerts you'll be focusing dark on dark a lot of the time so it's not like outside in the sun where there's plenty of contrast.

Seconding this. When you're at anything above maybe 85mm at 2.8 or less, you need to be spot on with focusing. You're actual depth of field is going to be pretty minimal with most concert shooting distances that the odds of you getting usable photos will be pretty low.

Anti_Social posted:

I shot at medium-quality raw (10mp) instead of the normal 18mp. I had a solid day to shoot, and ended up blowing through all the memory I brought with me even on medium quality.

I don't know why people don't bring anything less than all their memory cards with them when they go out. I have a couple of cases that house all my cards and any time I take my camera with me the cases go too. And with how cheap memory cards are now, there's no excuse not to own enough to never run out before having time to ingest your photos. God I remember when I first started for the newspaper and I wanted my own card to use with their cameras and I spent something like $120 for a 128mb card and it held like 70 photos in jpeg on a D100.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 10, 2010

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Four Banger posted:

just a comment about the Ishi post, that last picture is captioned "Rob Bastien wails away on guitar"
...And he's clearly tunning it.

I was just going to say that. Personally, I never post a photo of someone tuning a guitar anyway. Even if you nail the exposure and the lighting is great, it's still a guy tuning a guitar and shouldn't be in your top photos.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Are there any thoughts about loading a theme on there? I have access to ones from Graph Paper Press and they make some pretty nice themes.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

So far I'm digging the blog, the only major things I can think of for improving right away are finding a catchier look for the blog so it doesn't look so generic (though I understand that in itself will take a while to develop) and I think we should find a common voice for the reviews. Some of the reviews are first person and some are third person.

Also, I think we should sign our posts with our real names or something as opposed to our Wordpress user names so it's more clear that these are posts by different people as opposed to being this incredible superhuman who can be in a million places at once taking photos and writing in different styles.

If there were some way to have more of a clearer break between posts like a horizontal rule or something like that, it might help break up the posts as opposed to it all looking like a big stream of text and photos.

What I really like is that in the first four posts alone, it's four totally different cities with four different styles of bands, which is very cool.

And don't forget to put keywords in your posts.

Wordpress allows themes to be added in a matter of minutes that would make it look a lot better. There are plenty of free ones out there and I have access to the pay ones at Graph Paper Press as well if we want to use them.

Also, whoever bought the name needs to forward the domain to the .wordpress file name because the domain itself is just some generic wordpress welcome page. Didn't someone else also mention they could host it on their webspace so we don't need the .wordpress anyway?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Interesting thought. I was more curious about why Zac Efron is crowd surfing in your photo.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
In the meantime, whoever owns the domain can set it to forward to the .wordpress site.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just got into Connecticut for my work trip/ shoot Ozzfest this weekend. I still haven't even gotten final confirmation from MSO again. They're really lagging this summer it seems, normally they are on point about confirmations and all that. I sent an email earlier this week to look into it, but haven't heard back. If I don't hear back tomorrow I'll probably have to call. This could be an Ozzfest issue though, apparently the actual press tickets themselves are super limited (that shouldn't affect passes though) and bands don't even have guest lists for the entire tour according to my friend who'd playing on the tour.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

pr0digal posted:

Good luck! MSO didn't get back to me about warped tour until literally 8pm the night before. Then they sent out the "check in at the press tent" e-mail during the show. Thankfully I have my e-mail forwarded to my phone or I would have missed that.

Yeah, I didn't hear back until I think two days before. Still nothing yet. I sent an email to another contact of mine at MSO who can hopefully check on it for me. If I don't hear back in a couple hours I'm gonna have to try to call. I really wish the girl who used to handle all the big tours was still there, I never had to wait like this to get confirmation before.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
After much waiting. All set for Ozzfest tomorrow. Should be interesting. I'm bummed that Motley Crue will only let us shoot from the sound board. As per usual rules, no Ozzy photos.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Finally got around to loading my shots from Ozzfest onto my computer. Here's a few quick edits from the show.

Drowning Pool

Kingdom of Sorrow. I'm pretty sure their bassist is Chewbacca.

Nonpoint

Devildriver

Halford...I like this one because it looks like he's yelling his name.

Motley Crue. We were only allowed to shoot their set from the sound board. Probably because they don't want us taking photos of their receding hairlines.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

Anyone ever think about touring?

I know Joey L went on "tour" going around photographing bands in different places around the US, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience getting into a van with a band, and going with them on tour.

Right now I'm funemployed (well I work as a free-lance writer, but I can do that anywhere I have an internet connection) and I've been thinking about becoming a roadie for a touring band. I figure if they get me a place to sleep and give me a per diem to cover food I'd help them load in and work merch, so long as I could have a few songs from every set to shoot. Get the tour schedule and the openers and talk to the bands about doing some cheap promos before the show and just go out there and meet some people, see new things, shoot new bands in new places. It seems like it'd be an awesome way to see the country on the cheap.

I've done it. Not a full tour, but I went on Warped Tour for a week last year with Chiodos. It was a lot of fun and led to some cool behind the scenes type photos. I have some cool ones of a few people getting tattoed on the bus that I like a lot. Half the week I was on the bus and half I was in a car with one of the band members and a few of our friends, so it was really low key. I was unemployed for a few months at the end of last year and if all the bands I'm close with weren't recording, I probably would have gone out for a few weeks.

ZoCrowes posted:

I hate metal with every fiber of my being. It's just not my thing at all. If it's yours that's great I'm not hear to debate or argue about it. I dislike the culture, the music and pretty much drat near everything about it. I'm not saying this to insult anyone just to give some context for my opinion.

These photos are loving awesome. There's a lot of movement to them and I feel like the camera is sucking me in with the sense of motion these give. Especially the first three. Great composition and perspective all around. Nicely done.

Thanks. I've been shooting concerts for over 7 years now, so I've come to get a pretty good hold on framing and composition in general when it comes to the member and my camera. I used to take way more photos when I was just getting into it, but I usually only end up taking maybe 120-150 per set now just because I know what's going to look good and I don't shoot the photo if I know it's not going to look good. Also if you spend less time with your eyes glued to the viewfinder you can pay more attention to your peripheral vision and see when another band member is doing something that would look good. I see tons of photographers missing awesome moments because they're so glued to a band member doing jack poo poo.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That's basically my favorite stuff to shoot (and I'm doing dick all right now), but I don't really know anybody in a band/related to the music scene. I think it's been like 3 years since I went to a show.

This is definitely the best stuff to shoot on tour. You also get the benefit of learning their performance and knowing when they're going to do cool stuff like jumping or other poses...or they just make creepy faces at you. Here's a few examples of both.

Chiodos getting ready.

People keeping cool in the spray of a fire truck at Warped Tour several years ago.

My friend Sonny who used to do this at the same point each show, so it became easy to know when he'd do it.

Creepy face example.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 1, 2010

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

I'm thinking of shooting through a media application using Sound Surveillance for a festival; what do you guys reckon? Enough content up on there yet?

What festival, and how far away is it? I'm going to be putting up reviews and photos of warped tour and ozzfest very shortly, probably tomorrow which should definitely help out.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Most of my shots are taken with my Sigma 20mm f1.8 or my Canon 50mm f1.8. I have a Sigma 24-60 f2.8, but I usually only use it when the lighting is really good. I prefer shooting primes whenever I can really, but that goes for all shooting, not just concerts.

The Sigma 30 f1.4 is definitely on my radar. I've rented the 35L and it's possibly my favorite lens that I've ever used.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

You just had to make the decision that much harder, didn't you?

What can I say, I'm partial to primes. I just think they're sharper much more of the time than zooms and in low light situations (concerts) they're awesome. I only use my 24-60 when I'm outside or the lighting is REALLY good. I use my 70-200 here and there when I want drummer shots, but it's an f4 so I mostly only use it at festival shows. I love my Sigma 20mm, but for some reason the price went up on it like a year or two ago. I think I paid $330 for mine and the same site I bought it from sells it for $519 now. I have no idea why. It's easily my most used concert lens though.

Damnit now you have me contemplating buying the sigma 30mm f1.4 before the wedding I have to shoot in a couple of weeks.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Ok, after nearly a week I got my desktop working again so I could get to my photos. Ozzfest and Warped Tour should be up either tonight or tomorrow.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Fast glass is definitely the name of the game in terms of equipment. I'd much sooner spend money on good prime lenses than buy a 5Dm2 if you're looking to do a lot of concerts. I'd shoot primes all the time if I had enough of them. I really want a 30mm and an 85mm. Depending on how well a meeting goes on Friday that will determine me getting a hefty commission on something, I'll probably snag the Sigma 30mm. I could use it for a wedding next weekend.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
The 7D isn't full frame.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HPL posted:

I've been holding off on promoting SS until it's a little more established.

Same here, at least until we get a logo established so we can have something to throw in the corner of the photos and on the site banner.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

ALWAYS SHOOT THE LAST SONG ALWAYS (when you can). To put it simply: If a band is gonna trash their gear they're not going to do it at the end of the 4th song.

I've been to hundreds of shows and I've seen a band break equipment twice, both times because it broke during their set. Bands don't just go breaking poo poo whilly nilly anymore.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

MMD3 posted:

regardless of if they're breaking instruments or not, your best photos are almost always going to come from the end of a set rather than the beginning of a set. Encores are always when you are going to catch band members crowd surfing, bowing, smiling, having lots of crowd interaction, and just generally giving you their best antics.

That's why the 3 song rule is such an f'ing shame.

Depends on the band really. I know bands that understand the whole 3 song rule and amp up their performance for the first few songs. Sevendust is by far the best at this. They are camera hams and love it. It's usually the more veteran bands that understand this. And then there are bands like Tool when you get one 10 minute song and it's basically them playing in the dark and then as soon as you leave it's a god drat light show as bright as the sun. If there is any band that sucks more to shoot than Tool I haven't found them. Also if any of you were thinking about trying to shoot them if they tour again, don't even bother trying to get a pass. They will only approve daily newspapers.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Sorry for my long absence. I had some computer issues and have had a lack of access to really all of my photos for a couple of weeks. I'm finishing up a sizeable contact list that should be done by the end of the week or so and I'm going to put a gallery of my ozzfest photos up soon on the sound surveillance site as well. In the meantime, I've been doing a lot of toying around with one of my Andrew WK shots that I took back at Warped Tour in August going for a really cinematic look. I'm fairly pleased with what resulted from a fairly normal looking portrait.

Thoughts?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
^^^
They've been like that for year. I shot them maybe 6 years ago when they were getting their start and they were a hell of a lot better.

pr0digal posted:

Warped Tour was fun (and hot). I think I need to photoshop the guitar out on the right

Veara-33 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

More at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/collections/72157627298586704/ and a writeup on my website tonight

Nice shot. I'm out on all the FL dates right now with D.R.U.G.S. I've spent way more time hanging out than I have shooting sadly. I've really only shot three bands the past two days. I'm hoping to shoot more tomorrow.

Here's my fave from today.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

pr0digal posted:

Austin Carlile (former Attack Attack and now in Of Mice and Men) has not aged well

Of Mice and Men-33 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Correction: Former Of Mice and Men singer, then Attack Attack, now current Of Mice and Men Singer.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

pr0digal posted:

I thought he started out in Attack Attack then went to OM&M.

Either way he looks like poo poo

Sorry, I had the order wrong. He started in Attack Attack, then went to OM&M, then left the band, then came back. And he looks worse up close, I met him for a few minutes when I was on the tour for a few days. He's face is so saggy.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I haven't been shooting nearly as much as I used to, BUT Alternative Press ran one of my photos from the Warped Tour as a two-page pullout poster, so I'm pretty excited about that. It's in the issue out right now.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Abnegatus posted:

I get to shoot Opeth and Katatonia (for those of you who know them) when they come through here soon.

I am excited.

Be prepared to get a ton of photos that look the same. I shot Opeth a couple years back and they were easily one of the most boring bands I've ever shot. They're impressive musicians, but they're statues on stage.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Man, I haven't posted in here in forever. Mostly because I really haven't been shooting much and when I have it's been bands I know personally. A good friend of mine and I just decided to try to start shooting more shows again so we decided to gang up and start a new site a couple weeks ago. We've shot a bunch of stuff recently, though it's mostly bands we know, though because of that we posted a crap ton of photos in each gallery including shots from Anberlin's final shows a couple weeks ago.

http://camera-noise.com/

Just posted my shots from Chiodos a couple nights ago in Worcester. I shot the full show from the pit so there are a ton of photos from it.

Edit: Also, I finally hit a milestone for my photos and had a photo make it to a shirt.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sharizard posted:

How did this work out? Did you get paid for this? How did you prep your photo for screenprinting? How many other photos were considered for the shirt design? Questions questions questions.

A lot of that I wasn't privy to. I've known the band personally for about 8 years now and this was a shot they all loved because it's really rare to get a photo with the entire band visible. Their manager bought the photo from me for a flat rate for un-restricted use. I've sold photos in the past to them and to lots of other bands, but this was the first time any of them made it to a t-shirt.