Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
This thread's more about doing portrait work for bands and not so much concert photography, but I thought I'd pass on my story just because...hell, I've to tell somebody. :)

Flogging Molly at The National, March 9. The venue's website says they discourage photography because the flashes disrupt the band and fans. No flash, no problem! So I pack everything and hope for the best: XTi, 50mm f/1.8, 17-50 f/2.8, 100mm f/2.8. We're stuck in traffic outside the place and I yell to a security guard standing outside "Hey, will it be ok if I bring in this camera bag?" "Sure, but no flash, no video!" he says. I go through the pat-down line and the guy says "What's in the bag?" Camera gear, I say, and show him. "No flash, no video, have fun." I hand in my ticket further up the line, get the same question and same response: no flash, no video. Three for three! We get inside and head to the balcony where I'm shooting some test shots of the openers. This older guy taps my shoulder and says "Do you have a press pass?" I say no, and explain that three different people have Ok'd my being there and that I'm not doing pro photos. Cool, he says, have fun. He adds, "Duck down once the show starts, you don't want to block anyone. And come back and see me once the show starts, I'll let you in there for a few minutes" and he points to the VIP section at the front-front of the balcony." Jesus, I want to hug this guy but I just shake his hand instead.

THEN I get another tap, and this guy says "I need you to come with me, I've gotta ask my boss about this." Outside the head security guy asks the question "Does the lens come off?" Well, yeah. "We just got word from the band, no 'pro' photography allowed. Sorry, but they shouldn't have even let you through the door." I beg them to let me keep the camera instead of taking it back to the car, and they say cool, just no pictures. I kept my word until the last 30 minutes of the show, then I turned off the LCD and started shooting. I've seen these guys before and I figured gently caress it, if I get kicked out so be it. The crowd had been well behaved so I wasn't worried about some on-edge bouncer throwing me through the air or anything.

So! Considering I took every picture in the middle of the crowd and with one eye open for security, I think I did ok. I was too far for anything but my 100mm f/2.8 (and some of these severely cropped; I would've killed for a 70-200), and as much as I wanted to avoid ISO 1600 I just didn't have enough light. Everything shot at f/2.8, 1/200, ISO 1600, and if the colors are weird it's because of the lights; not much I can do about it. Anyway, here's the set and here are some favorites:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh, by all means feel free. This thread is for any music related photography. I'll be shooting this years warped tour, and FM are one of the bands I'm looking most forward to shooting. Great concert shots, though I'm surprised you said the crowd wasn't rowdy.
I don't get out enough to know what's rowdy, but they don't allow crowd surfing and the one guy I saw that did a stage dive practically got dragged out by his hair. Everybody was hoppin and shoving around, but it wasn't what I'd call a rough crowd. Very equipment friendly :)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Octorok posted:

For shooting film, would I be alright on 400ISO with a 50mm/1.8f during a live show?
This would be purely for personal uses and not profit, I would only be shooting local bands and be able to get up very close.
In a word, no. Straight out the camera with no processing, this is what ISO 400 looks like at 1/100. Granted I was at f/2.8 but I doubt f/1.8 is enough of an improvement to make a difference. If the place is really well-lit I'll bet you can get away with 800, but I think if you go with 400 speed you'll spend hours and hours trying to tease detail out of some really underexposed shots.

But I'm one guy who's shot one concert, so don't take my word as gospel or anything. :)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Private Label posted:

I've gotten some good shots with my panasonic point-and-shoot, but I would kill to bring a better camera with me.
Yeah, what really grinded on my nerves all night long was the fact that there were 300 other people there with p&s cameras standing two feet from the stage shooting away with impunity. With flash, the fuckers, right in the band's faces. I console myself with the knowledge that I got better pictures than they did, hopefully.

I'd love to know what it takes to get a press pass for something like this, but I have a sneaking suspicion it involves being employed by, you know, the press.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

hopefully our media passes get us some prime spots for shooting.
What are you doing / who are you working for that would get you media passes? I'm just wondering how that sort of thing is usually done.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Zurich posted:

Hope it's cool to cross-post from PAD (I completely forgot about this thread before I posted there)

First go at concert photography last night, unfortunately the photo pass I thought I had didn't materialise. Kind of hard to get around the people in front of me, I think this works though. A few of the shots in the set (I think you can tell which ones) were shot holding my camera above my head, shame my 30D doesn't have live view, but hey.
You got some great stuff, drat. I know what you mean about holding the camera up in the air and just praying; I did the same a bunch of times, and got lucky on a few once I got the hang of it. One limitation I found on my XTi: it'll take pictures just as fast as I can hold down the shutter, up to 20 or so - then I've got to sit there and wait for nearly a minute while it writes them all to the card. I don't know whether that's the camera or the card (probably both), but it drove me nuts thinking I was gonna miss something in the meantime. There's another good show coming in a few weeks (Reverend Peyton's Big drat Band!), hopefully I can take what I learned and use it there.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Private Label posted:

They are awesome!

(When they played with Flogging Molly last year- they moved around a lot, so it was hard to get a good shot with the crowd moving, them moving, and my old p&s-w/out a flash)
Ha, that was the first time I saw them too, with FM. My friends hated them, but goddamn do they put on a good show. The guy is completely unintelligible and looks like he's from 1800's Appalachia, but he's entertaining as hell. I'll be seeing them at a real small venue and just got word that photography is allowed, so I'm hoping to get some real good stuff.

Private Label posted:

What kinds of lenses do people recommend for concerts? Or is it more playing around with the ISO/shutter speed?
Echoing what the others said, you'll want something real fast like 50 f/1.8. I'll have my 50 in my pocket, but now that I've actually tried it I don't think I'd go anywhere again without something at least as long as my 100mm f/2.8. 50mm seems worthless to me unless you can get within about ten feet of the stage, and that can be hard to do. 100 f/2.8 may not be optimum light-wise, but the reach is great. Everything I did earlier in the thread was with the 100mm at f/2.8, 1600. The lighting was dim, but good enough that I avoided noise issues.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

warwick5s posted:

Dub Trio?
Aye, that's them. I didn't get to hear much from them, I was too busy at the entrance trying not to be kicked out.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Zoowick posted:

I envy the fact that you get to do this for a living, and I know you've got talent, but goddamn have I come to hate your finished work. No offense. :)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

natashafatale posted:

That looks like it might be "auto levels"...?
People knock the auto settings, but I find that 90% of my postprocessing is done as soon as I hit the auto-contrast button. If that fails, auto-levels usually does the trick. Auto-color, for some reason, never does anything but turn my photos blue.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Scream Machine posted:

Now that I think about it, it's funny that a guy with a tele gets so much heat while nothing is done about the 40 dudes on the dance floor throwing flash at the performers with their Kodaks.
This drove me nuts at the Flogging Molly show a few months ago. I'm shooting without flash and getting the third degree from security while 200 people are on the floor, 20 feet from stage, with flashes going off every two seconds. I know the reasoning is about pros making money from their work and that that's no threat with most p&s, but goddamn, a little consistency would have been nice. The ten people in front of you are all holding their cameras in the air, recording entire songs, but the second I stick my camera in the air, display turned off, I've got a flashlight in my face and some guy screaming for my press pass.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I'm seeing Todd Snider on June 6, and I can't loving wait to pull out all my new toys. 40D plus 50 f/1.4 should make for some great stuff, I'm sick of losing shots due to low light. If I could get the 85 f/1.2 I might be the happiest man alive...albeit the poorest.

JohnnyC posted:

Look - here's the press photo my band used up until we had a big lineup change.

You might as well take all your arguments and toss them out the window, after posting that picture as justification for your stance.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

EF 85mm f/1.8 USM.
f/1.8? Great, why not just hand me the kit lens? :rolleyes:

I kid :)

Yeah, the 85 f/1.8 is high on my list; in fact if the 50 f/1.4 doesn't impress me enough I may sell it and trade up. Right now my 100mm f/2.8 is my go-to long lens, but if I could go a bit wider and faster? That's butter.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Todd Snider, folk singer. I'd been looking forward to this show for months, but in the end low light is low light, there's only so much you can do about it but accept it, bump to 1600, and move on. I took a shitload of photos of the guy's bare feet; it's kind of a signature thing of his, and I wanted something that fans would recognize and smile at, even if no one else did.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I took an absolutely retarded amount of photos on Saturday (god bless the 40D's 6.5 fps, but I've gotta learn to rein it in a little), these are a few I liked.

(missed it by that much!)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

How much are you getting paid?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Ha, this is gonna be badass; a friend of mine is in a "yacht rock" band (don't ask) and wants me to do photos while they're shooting a video. The fun part? They've got one boat already, and they're trying to get another so we can have some true Rio-type poo poo happening.

The best part is, even if the photos suck, I'm still hanging out on a boat drinking beer all drat day.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

Anyway, I'm done with the de-rail. Back to reading the thread. This has seriously over taken the last day of my life.
Would that we all could know the day of our demise! Condolences. :sympathy:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

Alright, did some promo shots the other day for a friend who is a solo artist.
What the hell do you do for a living that leaves you no free time during daylight hours? :drac:

These are like all the others you've posted: too blurry, and dark to the point of losing all meaningful detail. Take the first one again at sunset (or earlier - it'll work I swear!), it'll be a pretty cool "local boy hangin on his stoop" shot. You might even have him pose playing a guitar, I don't know. A tripod is nice, but it wouldn't have saved these; you'd need an exposure so long that your friend would be a blurry mess by the end.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Don't even worry about "magic hour" or floodlights or any of that poo poo, lets just start simple and say DAYLIGHT. Daylight is what you want; anytime between dawn and sunset will do.

As for white balance, your photos are too 'warm,' it happens when you don't have enough light. What program do you use to edit these?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

rockcity posted:

I also hate having it meter in the middle for the same reason I detest shutter button focusing, my subject, or at least where I want it to focus is not always in the middle. I'd rather manually set the exposure and set my focus button to one of the buttons on the rear so I can tell it exactly what I want a lot easier.
I played around with this when I first got my 40D but quickly lost interest and switched it back. Can someone give me the 30 second explanation on why and in what situations I'd want to set my focus button to something other than the shutter? I know there are benefits, I just can't remember what they are.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Four Banger posted:

I just found out I got a photo pass for the Flogging Molly Gig next thursday! I gotta go buy a 50/1.8 now! I'm super pumped as this will be my first bigger band. and I made a good contact!
This is from waaay back, but you don't allow PMs so I've gotta ask here: who did you contact to get the photo pass, the band or a local paper or something? I don't get to see FM all that often but the next time I do I'm gonna do everything I can to get a pass; I got these the last time they came to town, but I was dodging security the whole show and I'd kill to be able to roam freely next time.

vv That's great advice, thanks!

jackpot fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 30, 2009

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I'm going to a show on the 22nd, Flogging Molly at the NorVa in Norfolk, Virginia. Anybody here know the area well enough to recommend some magazines or any kind of publication that I might contact about getting a press pass, in return for some photos? How's that usually work?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Any photographer I've seen at the NorVa was there from a larger nationwide magazine.
That's the answer - I'll just contact Rolling Stone and get them to give me one! :)

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I was also thinking of going to the show, Dropkick is the day after, deciding which one to go to.
I haven't seen dropkick murphys, but for what it's worth FM puts on an amazing show, I've seen em a bunch of times.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Theres not much that I have found for music in Hampton Roads. The local paper uses stock photos from the band and hey just shut down the local culture magazine that had food, music, events in it. Any photographer I've seen at the NorVa was there from a larger nationwide magazine. I was also thinking of going to the show, Dropkick is the day after, deciding which one to go to.
I've got two people with the smallest of connections in the area trying to snag me a pass, but my chances are vanishingly small. There's probably 50 guys just like me vying for the opportunity so my chances are pretty much nil.

I know bad lighting is the name of the game, but this show really tried my patience, it was like a freakin' dungeon.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Flogging Molly show the other night was awesome. What wasn't awesome was not being able to shoot it because I didn't score a press pass and "professional cameras" weren't allowed in.

Eeek posted:

(insert picture here)

That's what Jimmy Buffett would look like if he wasn't a dick and let .com's shoot. Only print and I missed the sign up for that. However, for about 5 hours I walked around and shot the parrot people. I now loving hate Jimmy Buffett.
It's not surprising they're so controlling; outside of a few good charities there are very few things he'll allow in his life that don't put money in the bank. He's an outrageously rich motherfucker - like stealth-rich, how-does-the-Margaritaville-guy-make-$100million-a-year rich.

My mom's been involved with the parrothead club for years so I hear some stories. :3:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Jim Marshall posted:

"Keith Richards during Exile on Main Street sessions, 1972. I think this is one of my best photos — the quintessential Keith photo."

This guy obviously never saw PCU, because he's being "that guy." :rolleyes:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I've recently joined a local online mag, and I'm bugging the absolute poo poo out of them trying to secure a press pass for Flogging Molly at the end of the month; they say they've emailed the band's management but haven't heard back. Assuming they can get me a pass, the whole situation's great; I'm better than most of the photographers they have on "staff" (it's volunteer only, so far, mostly college students), and I get great access to shoot shows I'm already planning to attend.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Might actually have a job shooting Flogging Molly tonight, if only their press agent will write me back and confirm I'm on the access list. drat, do I want this to happen.

Edit: I'm in :hellyeah:

Anti_Social posted:

That is one serious, serious beard.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 29, 2010

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

I had just way too much fun doing this, the whole loving experience ruled. Except for the B.O. Half the people there hadn't had a bath since March, Christ.

I've hardly had a chance to do anything yet, but here's a few:

Hey Eeek, who do you shoot for? I assume you can't just bring an SLR into a concert like that without a press pass.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

It was 3am and I was exhausted when I posted that; I thought "Whoa, what interesting framing." This morning it's not as interesting to me. I remember wanting to get the lights and his head in the same shot, I just didn't do a very good job of it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Eeek posted:

I shoot for a newspaper. I am a independent contractor. When I first started, I tried to bring in an SLR, but there are very few places that will let you. However, the place Flogging Molly is playing, they will let you bring in an SLR. Not so much when I shoot arenas.
Oh I gotcha, I misunderstood; I thought you might live in Richmond since Goo Goo Dolls just played here a few days ago, and FM played last night.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Rest of set.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 4, 2010

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Security told me straight off that I could be in the pit for the first three songs only; I was kinda surprised at this, since they're not what I'd consider a big-enough band to warrant something like that, but ok (By the way, what's the logic on the three-song limit? It was the same rule for every band, even the local one. Is it just that you're a distraction, up front like that?). Lighting was great (lots of blue and yellow, thankfully not much red), security was friendly as hell, and the bartender offered me free coke refills. This place is very camera-unfriendly, so it was cool seeing every security guard's expression go from "rear end in a top hat with camera, must smash" to a friendly head-nod and wave once they saw my access pass. I shot til the end of the third song, then (like an rear end in a top hat) when I didn't get booted I decided to keep on shooting. Made it to the end of the fifth song before a guard tapped me and said "Sorry, I gotta get you out of here now." He was friendly about it, though; earlier in that last song Dave King gave me the finger, and me being over the limit might've been why. Then again he was probably just saying hi; he gives everyone the finger. The whole experience was a blast, I loved it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

rockcity posted:

As a guy in the front row, I'd be less than pleased if there were a bunch of photographers running in front of me for an hour blocking my view. If I was a performer, I'd rather see a front row of fans than a camera.
Yeah, it makes more sense when you put it that way. Before the show started I actually apologized to the people I was blocking, and told them I'd only be there for a few songs. I even slouched most of the time so I wouldn't be a pain in the rear end. I can see how that would get annoying for everyone after more than a handful of songs.

Ha, nice. It's my only regret of the night, missing that shot.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

MMD3 posted:

this NYT article from a few years back http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/19/arts/19phot.html?_r=1
That whole thing, it's just :psyduck: x 10.

90 seconds of the first song? 5-10 seconds of a singer's entrance? I understand that there's nothing that can be done about it; if every single photographer tells 'em to eat poo poo and refuses to shoot the show, you know there'll be that one guy who does it just because he knows he's the only one. So there's no way to win. But goddamn, that's just ridiculous.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Eeek posted:

So, in Tim McGraw promoter speak, tonight's front of house meant the back of house. Thank you, promoter.

I'm trying not to laugh, but 170mm and still that far away :lol:

I see a few people way up there with point/shoots, maybe you should talk to them, work out a deal. :)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

HPL posted:

200 according to the EXIF, and that's on a 50D, so that's like 320 in 35mm terms.
I must have been looking at one of the other photos from that set.

I'd just laugh if this happened to me. "Sweet, just let me pull out my 70-300. I'll shoot wide-open at f/5.6, that's plenty fast enough for an event like this."

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

psylent posted:

Why do they bother? All they get is a blur of colour or the back of people's heads. I shouldn't let it ruin my evening, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Eh, they do it because it's their own shot and it says "I was there." I mean I could download some great live shots of my favorite bands, but I like my own better because they're my own; it's the same thing, just (hopefully) different degrees of talent. If I were in the band, though, all those flashes going off would drive me loving nuts.

Bojanglesworth posted:

I mean its nothing lost if you ask them and they say no. As a professional though I see the only way to make any real money is to get paid to actually shoot the show, not trying to sell photos after the fact.
If he's married, set him up with the hottest groupie at the show. Five minutes after he's closed the door to whatever broom closet they're using, bust in and start taking pictures. Those are the kinds of shots you can sell after the fact. Or get killed over. In the end it all depends on your shooting talent and how fast you can run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have actually had people contact me after the fact like "um can you take that photo off your site because Im married and…"
:lol: nice.

See, everyone bitches about how it's harder than ever to make money in photography these days, but really they're just not applying themselves. Blackmail never goes out of style.