Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.

jackpot posted:

FLOGGING MOLLY!

I am SO VERY jealous. Holy crap. Those are AWESOME pictures! I was able to see them a few weeks ago when they came to Detroit (and last year as well), but the place that they play at I know wouldn't let me bring in a pro camera if I tried. And even if I did, I would have to shoot far away because they DO allow crowd surfing and the twice I've been to FM, I've been kicked in the face. All in good fun though!

As for other bands/venues, I have no clue. I usually see "no professional cameras," so I guess I'm going to have to start with more local bands. I've gotten some good shots with my panasonic point-and-shoot, but I would kill to bring a better camera with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.

jackpot posted:

Yeah, what really grinded on my nerves all night long was the fact that there were 300 other people there with p&s cameras standing two feet from the stage shooting away with impunity. With flash, the fuckers, right in the band's faces. I console myself with the knowledge that I got better pictures than they did, hopefully.

That's awful. But yeah, even with the flash (which I never do at concerts, unless the band says it's ok- like Keane), the pictures look god-awful unless you are standing right in front of them anyway. It cracks me up when I look at their LCD right after and it's a black mess.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

jackpot posted:

There's another good show coming in a few weeks (Reverend Peyton's Big drat Band!), hopefully I can take what I learned and use it there.

They are awesome!

(When they played with Flogging Molly last year- they moved around a lot, so it was hard to get a good shot with the crowd moving, them moving, and my old p&s-w/out a flash)

What kinds of lenses do people recommend for concerts? Or is it more playing around with the ISO/shutter speed?