Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Feel free to use this thread for sharing your band/concert work, or just whatever else you want regarding music photography.

Here's my current portfolio

Concert Photography

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Promo shots are a lot of fun once you get used to the flow of things. The main thing, as you touched on, is location. I always talk with the band and ask if they have any ideas for locations or what they might want, and together we find a spot or two.

The second thing you have to worry about is getting permission/being sneaky enough to shoot there. Most places are fine if you just ask, but I have trespassed a few times, and the only thing that has happened so far is being asked to leave (just abandoned buildings and such).

Gear wise, I use an alienbee 400/softbox and a vivitar 285 hv for lighting. I would suggest at least a single strobe or a minimum of 2 speedlites if you're working with a band, especially if they have 5 or 6 members.

I'm getting into more concept type stuff and away from "band just standing in a random place" shots, and it's a lot of fun. I'm working on one right now of a pop punk band at a dining room table all eating cereal, it's silly but it fits their style and they loved the idea. It's really all about matching the artist you're working with, and communicating the ideas to them and selling them on it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Zoowick posted:

I love doing these, when I take the groom and groomsmen at weddings for pics I always act like it's a band promo shoot.

I do the exact same thing with weddings. People always say my groomsmen pictures are better than my bridesmaids, and I tell it's because they aren't as willing to have fun with it.

I'll post some of my favorites and examples and stuff tonight, as well as answer your questions phootnote.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Do you find that most small/local/indie bands don't care if you are taking their pictures?

When did you feel confident to approach them for paid work?

The opposite is usually true, they usually are very grateful to have good shots. The smaller they are the more they appreciate it.

I felt confident to approach bands after bands started asking me for prices. That made me realize I had something of real value to offer bands and that they were willing to pay.

As for more info on how I got started; I was involved in my regions music scene from playing bass in a touring band for about 2 1/2 years, and that gave me a lot of connections. I started photography right before I ended up leaving that band, and the transition from musician to photographer kind of came natural to me. I was used to the scene, people, venues, etc, so it made it all the easier.

My first paying gig came from doing live shots for a friends band, they liked them a lot and asked about how much I would charge to do promos. That ended up being the band that is now signed to a major label, and they have me shoot a lot of stuff for them/send a lot of other bands my way. Just like anything, networking is key.

I added some examples of promo and live work to my original post by the way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

jackpot posted:

This thread's more about doing portrait work for bands and not so much concert photography, but I thought I'd pass on my story just because...hell, I've to tell somebody. :)

Oh, by all means feel free. This thread is for any music related photography. I'll be shooting this years warped tour, and FM are one of the bands I'm looking most forward to shooting. Great concert shots, though I'm surprised you said the crowd wasn't rowdy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

rockcity posted:

There is an awesome young photographer around here by the name of Gage Young who does some amazing band promo photos and somehow he's only 18.

Yeah, I'm very familiar with him, and in fact base a lot of my business plan around it. He is the go to guy in the florida scene, and I want to build that reputation for myself in the Carolinas. He does great work, he has really made that style popular in that scene of music. Very good info Rockcity, thanks.

brad industry posted:

Do you use any kind of third-party application for managing your Myspace poo poo? I know a few years ago those kind of programs were common, I had friends in bands who used them to add/comment/message people. I'm picking up some smaller music jobs while things are slow, and I loving hate using the actual Myspace website.

I don't, from what I've seen those are basically spambots to add as many people as possible/post generic responses on all your friends pages and such, which I'm not really interested in doing. Myspace 2.0 has really helped though, the site isn't quite as big of a pile of crap now as it was a year or two ago.

Added concert shots to the OP.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 11, 2009

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Zoowick posted:

That is one bad-rear end photo.

drat straight it is. That is the kind of concert photo I dream about catching.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

dude, where have you been hiding? Excellent stuff, do you have any insight to share about the business side of things?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Private Label posted:

They are awesome!

What kinds of lenses do people recommend for concerts? Or is it more playing around with the ISO/shutter speed?

I say at least 1.8. For smaller venues I shoot 1.8 and still usually have to jack my iso. If flash is kosher, I shoot with my xti's kit lens, using a vivitar 285hv with attachable softbox.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shot my favorite band/client again tonight. Possibly going on tour with them in the near future, psyhced. Click through any of them for the rest of the set.

These were shot with xti/kit and vivitar 285hv with opteka inflatable softbox attached.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

drat you guys and your living in places with big venues and acts! Great shots though guys, very inspiring stuff.

Speaking of this though, have any of you guys shot warped tour before? I'm currently going through the process of getting my photo pass and was wondering if anyone had experience with it/tips about it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I agree from a photographers standpoint that some of the processing is too much, but I would put money on the band loving it.

The clocktower one however, is perfect in every way. By far my favorite photo of yours.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hey zoo, just a quick tip that would help a lot of those photos. When you process like that blue jeans really standout in the photo, so I usually drop the blue saturation a bit to get the jeans looking back to normal-ish. Give it a try on the crazier ones, I'm sure you'll like the difference.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

shudder posted:

Kit lens and flash/softbox right pointed right at them?

basically, though towards the end of the set a lot of them were bounced off the really low ceiling, like the first two of that post.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Promos with a pop punk band yesterday

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

how do you set focus to another button anyways, never did find that option on my xtis menus.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I drove 3 hours for them and they didn't show up :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

stage light was terrible, so these were lit with vivitar 285hv/inflatable softbox using ebay wireless triggers

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a recent favorite of mine;

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

JohnnyC posted:

If you're charging hundreds of dollars for this (which is highway robbery, by the way, but I won't even get into that here)

your post was cool until that, but that sentence just shows that you don't value photography or understand why people should have to pay what they do. band photography is essentially portrait work for commercial use, so why shouldn't the pricing be set as such? I actually make the least amount of money from band work, but it is what I enjoy doing the most so I'm ok with that.

as far as interesting photos I'll agree; my rule of thumb now is that for every shoot I have at least one theme/concept for the band as well as the standard press shots. They usually love it and it works out great, though I have had a few bands that just want the standard boring shots, in which case theres not much you can do really, especially if they're just going to stand there and look at the camera with blank faces.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 26, 2009

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Masquerade is pretty lax, I've had no problems there and always just walk in and shoot in the pit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yup, but I'm still waiting to hear back from the agency getting my pass, they are pretty slow about everything :\

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It can be used for some fun effects;

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You're getting way ahead of yourself on editing and such, you need to focus on having good solid photos before you worry about any of that. All the perfect editing in the world can't save a blurry point and shoot picture.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Your white balance is way off in most of your sets.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I always respond to questions like that with something along the lines of "oh ok, next time they play a free gig I'll do some free photos."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

cheap film and cheaper camera in a huge stadium

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

About 10 years ago we drove 3 hours to see Protest and a bunch of lovely metal bands but Protest never showed up because they were too drunk. I think I remember them later canceling the rest of that tour.

BtBaM were loving great live though. Great shots all. I'm shooting a few shows for a Kpop company next week, will be a cool challenge.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

oh and for some content

The Sound of Animals Fighting
a phone shot

these were shot on an old xTi with a 24mm pancake

The Mountain Goats

John asked for a copy of this one to put in his office, a huge honor as a longtime fan

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 3, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kpop shows rule, ton of fun and energy from the artists and crowds. Capturing the choreo adds a whole different layer to things too.

Pixy is the group, great music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U0uQVlR5Rs

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Woodenlung posted:

The lightning going on there, feels a lot more deliberate, than most of what I see haha. Great shots, especially the first one.

Funny you say that, cause the next night was in a dive bar with a tiny and dark stage. They still had some lights but I threw up a strobe in front of house and had to pick angles carefully.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 15, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Woodenlung posted:

This one is sensationel. You an in house photographer?

Thanks. Im not, just shot those two shows for the groups company based in Korea. They have another artist coming next month I'll be shooting at the first venue as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

more Kpop shows

and a bonus shot with the group to show how tiny they are

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some snapshots of a great night while I wait on my film scans

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Film dump from the best show

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Huge kpop star shared my photo to their tens of millions of followers 😳

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Excuse the terrible compression, not sure why discord is doing that all of a sudden. Will have to try Flickr again.

Last night of this tour and we got a downpour right as encore started. Made for some great shots with the backlight from stage lights.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 24, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Final batch of photos and re-edits of film/digital to match for a recap gallery. Got venue approval for some big upcoming shows but now I wait for AXS to approve it (doubtful!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shooting more Kpop, this time for (G)-Idle's world tour. Absolute blast and one of my favorite groups.