Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Babymetal and DETHKLOK loving ripped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

First couple from Dreamcatcher. I have a few thousand more to go through 🤟

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 15, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

More from Dreamcatcher, team really loved the work so fingers crossed it's the first of many with them. Usually theater shows like this have pretty bad lighting, but this theater had really high lights as well as the front of house spotlights, so I got a really great glow on the whole stage.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 16, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shooting Babymetal and Dethkloks last show tomorrow night! 🤟🤟

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

preview from Babymetal!

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 15, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jason Richardson ripping

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Couple more from Babymetal. Really proud of this show

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 15, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some B&W from Babymetal.

I also put together an editorial portfolio for an interview with Getty Images if anyone would be interested in seeing that and the thoughts behind it for editing (almost SOOC vs creative edits I usually post), what shots I chose and why, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

maxe posted:

for sure, post up

Cool

So I applied for an entertainment editorial position with Getty, and worked with a photo editor from ABC and the NYT to select these images out of about 2k to show the style of images that Getty wants and what does well there. Generally, that means a breadth and depth of coverage for events. Close ups and wides of the artists, big venue shots, some action shots, etc. Presentation wise, they don't want any heavy editing but also not photojournalistic untouched images, as they work on licensing so they want nice looking images (my editor friend said "think magazine story, not newspaper").

For me, that meant pulling back from what I would do for publicists and artists where a lot of my work included specifics about retouching, aesthetics, etc, and editing a more clean image that doesn't have stylized edits or retouching. In a lot of cases, I do like a lot of images better this way too. All I'm doing for editorial editing is cropping white balancing, light color grading, and exposure/contrast adjustment, which is also key for same day uploads coverage like this requires. Here's a few examples:

Portfolio: https://davidchilders.myportfolio.com/

Raw:

My edit for the artist - much more dramatic and a loft of skin softening, etc

My edit for editorial:

Raw

Artist - More subtle, but this one has a lot of skin retouching I removed as well as background masking for more dramatic colors

Editorial

Raw:

Artist - dodging and burning, deep color grading, background blurring, skin retouching

Editorial

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

maxe posted:

thats rad, i love the editing comparisons

i think ive seen you post rehearsal shots before, is it a standard process for shooting those big stadium performances to prep at the rehearsal as well?

I haven't shot any rehearsals but I've done coverage for VIP meet and greets etc. As for prep, I familiarize myself with the staging and choreography for the setlist since a lot of what I'm shooting has very scripted performances and a lot of the tours start overseas. Shooting the big arenas and stadiums you will get a walkthrough and cue sheet, especially if there are any pyro effects in place and you will have a handler or security member to make sure you don't leave designated spots in those cases because of liability. Livenation and some venues also require photographers or videographers to have a liability policy as well, which ranges from 50-100 bucks for a standard 1 day 1 million coverage policy. Those big arena and stadium tours have some crazy logistics and it's about 36 hours of around the clock work from start of setup to end of teardown for a 3 hour show.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 24, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

All good shots but the fourth one is especially great. The first and fourth are underexposed (and I can tell it was low light), I'd try at least pushing the highlights up some and maybe drop contrast to balance if needed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slotducks posted:

Like this?
[timg][/timg]
(Advice followed on right vs original on left)

Appreciate the actual insight on the technique on how to fix it otherwise, I would've probably spiralled into ruining it and giving up

Yeah exactly. Pushing highlights and whites and dropping contrast or dehaze is my go to for boosting dark scenes without adding a lot of noise to the shadows.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slotducks posted:

So glad I randomly felt the need to bring a flash (I typically don't shoot shows with flash).

You nailed the shutter speed to freeze things but still capture the energy. I'd crank the flash up a stop or so though, looks like a dark or wood ceiling and that eats up the light if you're bouncing.

2 nights with Purple Kiss for their first US tour and sold out crowds in Boston and NYC. Lighting guy asked me if I wanted the fog cranked night 2 since the stage lights were low and close, I said definitely. Worked out great.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Everglow for their sold out show in Tampa. Was a really fun night and they had a ton of energy their whole set.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You’re killing it too. Flash looking dialed in for motion and exposure. Bass shot is my favorite, but that might because of that loving sick Dingwall that I’m not jealous of at all.

Pretty sure I saw some of your shots in Todd’s discord server? Great stuff and crew there. Here’s some edits I shared there for color correcting red and blue casts with calibration and color grading

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 13, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah those are going in the right direction. Sometimes there's not enough room in the color channels to fully correct (at least in LR/camera RAW), so you just have to lean in to the cast or go B&W. Another trick you can do is to edit just for exposure, monochrome it, then pull it into photoshop and use the neural colorize filter. It's hit or miss, but when it works it's pretty incredible.

This was one I couldn't rescue from the lighting, so I just edited for exposure (evening out the color banding, etc) and it turned out well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Promo shots: Good poses, fits their aesthetic, good light. I would up exposure a bit (like half a stop) and they look pretty soft. Are you applying any sharpening in Lightroom or export sharpening? Could just be the browser/hosting compression though. Another thing to keep in mind for any promo shots is to give extra space around the artists for any poster or print layouts. The first one has good space on top for text, etc. I'd try to get a little wider on the sides and bottom to allow for crops as needed. Second shot same thing, if you could have gotten more space on top that'd make for a good layout as well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slotducks posted:

I'm curious about the exposure stuff - Is it monitor difference? Seems to be a trend on all the photos of mine that you see. either that or I'm terrified of bright photos.

I'm usually seeing them on an iPad Pro or MacBook Pro with brightness pretty high or maxed for reference. I think the darker moody tone fits generally, but I think everything in that post could come up at least 1/3rd a stop without losing that mood (or just boost the highlights as before). You can also check your histograms after editing to make sure things aren't falling too far left there and use that to gauge your monitor calibration accordingly.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 15, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hah, I almost covered their show here in Florida for a friend last week! You’ll be fine, just move around whatever space you have continually and constantly reframe different members and compositions while shooting burst and you’ll end up with more than enough keepers.i had more photos last time i did first 3 than I usually get at a full set because I shot non stop and overshot, but it works (if your memory card has fast enough speed and your camera buffer is good).

Def bring your widest lens if it’s a small venue without a pit like the one here is.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 17, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh hell yeah, that’ll be a blast then.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nice! I think the blue wide shot 4th from the bottom is my favorite

And man, Arif looks real different these days :v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My favorite shots of the year:

And my favorite shots from my favorite tour (TWICE in LA, Houston, NYC, and Atlanta)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

First and last are esp killer. Really impressive that they came from the x100. I keep toying with the idea of trying the GFX line for concerts but the lack of longer lenses keeps me away.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shooting a sold out hardcore show at House of Blues tonight and trying to hype myself up for that atmosphere. Been about 12 years since I've shot that kinda show and from what I saw of last nights crowd it's going to be real rowdy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Gideon & Zero 9:36 last night

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Erra

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Wage War for the last set of the year

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Odd Eye Circle. Shot 90% of this show on the 50mm 1.2 prime and love the look it gave me. Crop mode to punch in to 80mm, and super resolution in LR to crop in even more lets me almost get away with not bringing the 70-200.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I actually haven't shot at the same venue twice in the past year, but the artists I'm shooting tend to have at least a stage lighting rig to go with the house lights. The problem then becomes the lighting designers flooding everything in color all the time just because they can haha. For darker venues though, I can't say enough good things about the 1.2 lenses though, absolutely gets shots other lenses can't. This was a fan photo I took outside the venue lit only by the marquee

Rumor is that canon is releasing a 35 1.2 and an ultrawide 1.2 this year, and those will absolutely be going in my bag.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 15, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://store.sirui.com/products/sirui-sniper-series-f1-2-aps-c-autofocus-lens-set

Sirui has this new line, pretty slick if you shoot on APSC

second night with OEC

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Guitar tongue and drummer shots are my fav. Are you doing front or rear curtain flash? I forget which one I would use the most but it's fun to experiment with both. As for non-dragged shutter, try doing a hard backlight with the flash and shooting at 1/160 or 1/200, you can make your own killer silhouette or beam shots that way, especially if you shoot from back of crowd.

Also that ham shirt, :lol:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh yeah, sorry I didn't realize you were all on camera. You can get a cheap universal trigger set, and it'd definitely open up a whole world of options for you.

This is one I did with a flash on an amp bouncing off the wall to the side in a near pitch black venue

Here's some I did with studio strobes up in the rafters, was cool to be able to do whatever I wanted for that show

One of my favs, my friends' daughter watching him from the side of the stage

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My second show with the Odd Eye Circle tour, in Houston this time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Last one is sick

Shooting my favorite band since high school for their 20th year album tour (RX Bandits) this week.

Might be shooting loving Madonna on Monday, but I’m not sure what I will be able to share of that. Then a big Kpop arena show Wednesday.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Incredible night. Probably the best rock show of my life. Lighting was rough for photos though, this was the color cast I was working with most of the night

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 11, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nick Bernhart's Disheveled Cuss in LA. He's part of a lot of projects including Death Grips and Portugal the Man. Very cool stuff.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slotducks posted:

]

Imagine filming in front of a barn after dark in -5°C hahaha it started snowing at some point. That's metal, baby.

Good stuff!

And sidenote: you shoot a lot of Dingwall basses. Wonder why they’re so trendy in your scene? I mean, they’re definitely a great bass for metal, but I don’t see anywhere near that % of them in metal groups broadly speaking.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TWICE in Vegas, nothing like it.

Slotducks posted:

Re: Dingwalls, it has to be the Canadian aspect to it all -- Sheldon Dingwall is Canadian and probably has a lot of market space in our music stores.

Ah that makes a lot of sense. They were key in pushing the fanned fret design to mainstream and metal is probably the genre that benefits the most from it. I always love seeing and hearing them, gives the low end a really solid tone instead of the floppy muddiness of old.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 20, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ah poo poo, discord broke all my old image links :lol:

Here's my current portfolio, added a lot of my rock photos to the bottom of the page under my kpop work.

Concert Photography

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

big black turnout posted:

Fyi, https://davidchilders.photos times out, but http://davidchilders.photos redirects to your site correctly. I think since you didn't include either, it defaults to https

Thanks, I keep having issues with this and can’t figure out what I need to update on the registrar

Slotducks posted:

That's a great portfolio - How often do you manage to update it?

Almost everything (except ~5 or 6 pics) on there is from the past 9-10 months and I try to rotate in a few from each show as well as make a page for the full gallery.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 20, 2024