Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Oneus for their 2nd world tour. First shot is my favorite. Shooting boy groups presents a unique challenge in not showing certain things in their very tight pants :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

big black turnout posted:

Contact fan clubs and sell the rights to individual pictures for more than you get paid for whole gigs

Hah, some small Korean girls were behind me last night with big tele lenses and full frame DSLRs hiding in their hoodies. It's very common in kpop, they call them fansites* and they usually focus exclusively on one member of the group. But no clue how they sneak them in past walkthrough metal detectors.

Here's a pic I snapped of some doing it a few weeks back. This was at the end of an encore so they weren't even trying to hide any more.

*fansites are their own fascinating photography world. I met one guy that had a Canon r3 and 400 2.8 only for taking pics of an idol like paparazzi, with no other photography experience or use for that gear. There's a whole industry there of fansites that sell "data" where people buy lots of 100 raw files, but that's just like 3-5 seconds of burst shots from an event or whatever. Wild stuff.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 2, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

most camera poo poo these days is primarily plastic composites because weight

im surprised those venues just use metal detectors and not full bag searches though. US venues are tightasses about that sorta thing

Cameras definitely go off, I just walked through yesterday with just two cameras and lenses in a belt pouch. And most of these shows are clear bag only, tote sized or smaller and those do get checked. They're hiding them in jackets/hoodies/whatever else and passing them around the detectors somehow. I'll try and ask one of them next time I see them.

EDIT:

apparently this is a common tactic, and they're less likely to be frisked as females with security being so rushed with long lines.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 2, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

2 3 and the last are the standouts there and I think you’re doing well with what you have to work with

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

These two are killer

idle (2 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (1 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (5 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (6 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (4 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (8 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (9 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (10 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (7 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

idle (11 of 11) by david childers, on Flickr

I should do more B&W, even though it's never part of deliverables for me. These photos were just licensed for an event in Korea as part of the ticket designs with B&W options, which is pretty cool. I'm going to try to get a set of them as a keepsake, as this is one of my favorite groups.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

For rock and singer songwriter stuff I always did since it fits those shows. It gets around all of the main issues we face with lighting and color casts while also making the photo more about the moment and emotion. More broadly speaking I’ve always said if I returned to weddings full time it would be under a fine art B&W only branding (with film and digital).

Three of my fav shots last year were B&W phone shots from a pit after I was done shooting

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This rules. The amber glasses really make it and pop well in that green spotlight.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I went full dweeb mode and use a Think Tank belt system and I have never been more comfortable. I put two of the Lens Changer 50 pouches on a nice leather belt and I use them as a holster for the cameras. I still have a strap on one camera and a leash on the other attached to the other's strap incase anything were to fall out or drop, but all the weight is on my waist instead of my neck/shoulders and it's way more comfortable. The slide in and out of the pouches without looking down, are well padded instead of dangling like my holster style, and can slide around front or back as needed when moving around the venue or kneeling. I usually go with the 24-70 on one body and 70-200 on the other for general coverage, but I have another bag I can put on my belt for my 50 1.2 and 16 2.8. Batteries and other stuff fit in the pouches too, and the built in rain covers come over the top to fully enclose the bodies too in case of rain or just during transit if I don't want the cameras visible. Even if I'm just shooting one body and lens I'll wear one pouch just to keep all weight off my shoulders when not shooting. Will never go back.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some more color corrections that might be helpful

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

^ Wow that's remarkable. What are you shooting on? The way you correct out red light is very impressive, I was always under the impression that heavy red lights in venues looked ugly and were generally unsalvageable which is why a lot of my shots are in B&W. I'll take a closer look at your settings when I'm in front of a larger screen.

Canon r6/r7, but if your exposure is good (no peaked highlights) then most any RAW files can pull the color back. Here's another I posted recently with my most common fix for that ugly pink/purple

quote:

Can you recommend a tiny little front pack I can fit one or two lenses in? I could wear my Peak Design pack but it's enormous. (Also, 'peak design' my rear end, I'm not hard on my gear but that bag is falling apart; the shoulder strap routinely comes undone causing it to almost fall)

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/hubba-hubba-hiney-v3-0

Can't beat this for $45. Can probably fit a mirrorless body in there with 2 lenses even. My old original Peak Design messenger had that same strap failure and while they did honor the warranty and send me a brand new bag, the version 2 sucks rear end and holds way less gear so I'm probably just going to sell it off.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 16, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Is he wearing some bright rear end lights or did you catch that god angle? Either way its cool as hell

babymetal (1 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

babymetal (2 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

crowd (1 of 1) by david childers, on Flickr

babymetal (4 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

babymetal (3 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

babymetal (5 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

babymetal (6 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

babymetal (7 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

babymetal (8 of 8) by david childers, on Flickr

More Babymetal and their western Kami Band

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Woodenlung posted:

Sensational baby metal shots.

🫡🤘

I was featured on Shotkit today, with a look at my gear and approach to concerts. They cut some stuff I wanted in and added some stuff I didn’t say but it’s no biggie lol

https://shotkit.com/david-childers/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slotducks posted:

Crown For a King

one of your best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slotducks posted:

This was really cool! I might have to pick up one of them prisms, looks like a lot of fun!
How did this get spooled up? They just reach out on social media?

A friend referred them to me for a submission but I think they also take open calls. The concert section seems to be one of the smallest on the site so I've been telling people to submit (it's mostly just a good source for an SEO boost TBH).

If you're not constantly hating and doubting your work, you're probably getting paid enough to not worry anymore ;) Shooting bands you like also adds a self-imposed pressure to deliver. I prep and work a lot harder for the artists I know well and care more about. Same when I was doing weddings for friends vs clients. And definitely try out a prism, it's great for adding a unique look to your photos without using the same filters as everyone else (and can do a lot of different effects).

quote:

another great one. these spotlight shots are a good unique look

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 14, 2024