Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

nicolerork posted:

The best business advice I can give you is networking yourself. Making friends with other photographers, bands, publicists, magazines, etc. Once you prove that you can do the job and deliver on time, you'll have a good working relationship with your clients. Then from there it just branches off from word of mouth referrals and jobs.

How do you approach the photographers/bands/magazines? Do you just go in their office and say hello or do you know them through friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

pwn posted:

When the local culture biweekly paper had an opening for contributors I walked in and asked. I got some poo poo assignments at first but it's pretty much open-ended. In my case it involves being involved in the community so that I make my own assignments and turn in stuff, which they almost always use in some way or another. After a few months I started to get invited to production parties and such. It can be scary coming out of the shell to network with new social circles, but it's something you need to get used to and good at if you want to be successful.

Thanks for the advice! We have such a paper here and I'm sure to check it out. If they are not looking for contributors (you get paid as a contributor right??) do you think it's a good idea to walk in anyway and ask?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

pwn posted:

I don't. There are 5 or 6 staff members and the rest of the magazine is made up from contributors, who are unpaid. I know some people here have a real, throbbing hate-on for that kind of thing, I don't know what to tell you, I'm trying to network and make a portfolio that I can take with me, along with references and whatnot. Don't look to me for advice on making money. That's why I read these threads myself. ;) But if you want to know a way to break in socially, that is one that is working for me.

I will definitely try it out, thanks