Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shudder
Mar 16, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Shot my favorite band/client again tonight. Possibly going on tour with them in the near future, psyhced. Click through any of them for the rest of the set.

These were shot with xti/kit and vivitar 285hv with opteka inflatable softbox attached.

So I saw these in PAD and loved the lighting and look. Were you using the softbox attachment on these? I've had one for awhile that I use at home for lighting stuff, but never taken it to a venue. Since I got my flash sync cable I've just been using my flash frame for my shots as it helps getting rid of horrendous shadows for the most part, but your Ravens set seems to have very nice light. Kit lens and flash/softbox right pointed right at them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shudder
Mar 16, 2006
Couple. Still have more coming. This was more a photographic documentary if anything. We've been meaning to meet up and do a couple promos but our schedules conflicted. Then by some random miracle our schedules collided. Bad side is that I didn't have all my equipment and they wanted to jam. Only light was from a single light bulb dangling from a cord in the middle of them. I had my 40D with my 17-85 4.0/5.6 so my lighting was limited. Bumped it up to 3200 and shot at like 1/40th to 1/80th with IS on. I think I might have pushed these a bit far.

shudder
Mar 16, 2006

Nihiliste posted:

You underestimate the appeal of grainy band shots. They're not perfect, but given the conditions, they're pretty good.

Well I look at them and I think that they are decent and I'm pretty happy with them. I know grainy band shots work well, and I know that the band likes them and they want me to do more for them because this impressed them, it was more so from a photographers standpoint my question is - are these good photos? can the viewer look at these and see and feel at least a little bit of what I did when I was shooting them.

I've been doing band photography on the side now for awhile and I haven't quite figured out my "technique" for them, though I really like this way, so I'm hoping these are considered at least decent.

shudder
Mar 16, 2006

So these are some ones for my friends Winner Takes All at McDunnas in Chicago.

In all brutal honesty... I've stared at these way too long. Are these even good? The band likes them, but the more I look at them I hate them.

shudder
Mar 16, 2006

guidoanselmi posted:

I personally like to capture stage lighting and i think the flash over powered it, otherwise they're ok (some are a bit better than others).

why are you shooting with a f/4-5.6 zoom lens? was the lighting especially good?

There weren't really any stage lights and I brought my 50 1.8 and used it though I had to stop down to 1/30 to get anything. So I decided to stick with using my flash and my 17-85 4.0/5.6 because of how wide it gets, plus I had a polarizer on that lens. My 24-70 is great but I felt it was too documentary like rather than energetic and fun/cool looking.

shudder
Mar 16, 2006
Did some promos today for a friend. Third time doing a promo shoot, second time in a 'studio.'

shudder
Mar 16, 2006

rockcity posted:

I'll be honest. It looks like you're trying to sell clothes with those shots, not the artist. Nothing really draws the eye in to the person. 2,3 and 4 are basically shots for American Apparel. 5 looks like a candid shot of a friend at the park. The first photo is really the only photo that looks like it would be a promo shot, though I'm really not liking that crop.

Now that you say that I agree. How can you do singular artists promo shots?

I don't really know. I want to do into advertising photography, so I guess the fact that I've nailed down that style is good... but still.

shudder fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 20, 2009

shudder
Mar 16, 2006

JohnnyC posted:

The photos aren't going to make money on their own and besides that plenty of truly incredible bands never get the opportunity to quit their day jobs.

It sounds like you're thinking of shoots on a completely different scale than I am and that most bands are. Here's your average band's scenario. They aren't signed to a label. They all have day jobs. They work really hard for a turnout of maybe - maybe - thirty consistent attendees at each one of their shows. Their band is an enormous sinkhole of time and money, the latter of which they may never see a return for.

They simply want a photo of the band that exists and looks decent in order to send it to media outlets or print it in the liner notes of their album, and in order to get that photo they really only need a few decent shots to choose from. Spending hour after hour for a bunch of press photos that will never leave a dank corner of their Myspace photo album is not only a waste of your time but an inflationary measure that simply lets you justify charging an excessive fee, especially when they can likely just get one good press photo for free.

Look - here's the press photo my band used up until we had a big lineup change.

My kd lang haircut aside, this photo did exactly the job it needed to do and it cost us literally nothing and it took us thirty seconds. If someone is hiring you, don't just consider the $200 a token of appreciation, consider the fact that they even hired you at all a personal favour and treat it accordingly.

Thats really not a good photo at all and I don't know why you would want to use it at all. It's a good thing you DIDN'T pay someone for that.

I'm actually going to be shooting an old friend again tomorrow, it's been awhile since we shot last, but he actually saw some of my newer work and wanted to pay me for some. Hes not paying me 250, but less which I'm fine with.

If a band is something you want to actually do, and get far with, you eventually need good pictures to get somewhere, and to get pictures you need to pay. It's just that simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shudder
Mar 16, 2006

HPL posted:

Out of curiosity, I was wondering what the bare minimum investment would be to get up and running with concert photography. I ended going with film because of the cheap equipment. Here's what I came up with:

Equipment:

Canon EOS A2E body: $80
Canon 50mm f/1.8: $100
2CR5 battery: $9 (Seriously, what the hell?)

Sub total: $189

Film gear:

Bulk roll of HP5+: $53
Bulk loader and 20 cartridges: $60
Kodak Xtol developer: $9 x 2
Stop bath: $6
Fixer: $10
Developing tank with two reels: $20
Graduated cylinder: $10
Negative sleeves: $20
Epson V500 scanner: $200

Sub total: $397

Total: $586

So there you have it. You can get a kick-rear end full-frame, low-light setup capable of running comfortably at EI3200 for less than the price of a used 40D body alone. The only downsides are that you won't be able to shoot hundreds of photos per show, fast cheap film is usually only black and white and it takes time to develop and scan the film. Also, there will be a continual investment in darkroom chemicals and film.

HPL, I've seen TONS of shots from you and LOVE your film stuff. Where do you guys go and order your chemicals for the film? I believe freestyle has some, but just curious as to where you guys go. (sorry if this is a bit of a tangent)

Reason why, is I've been shooting digital for... 4-5 years now. Only had a year of film before I switched over, then this semester had a class in film and started liking it a bit again. Since I already have some of the stuff to start doing film again, I thought I might want to start bringing my film camera along with me on my next couple of ventures.