Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

some kinda jackal posted:

Finally buttoned up the RS!

Workshop is a hot tiny mess, but you work in the space you have available to you, not the one you wish you had.

Just need to do an oil change and replace the brakes and it's off to safety/register.

Have a windshield and mirrors on the way. Also got a replacement cap for the mangled ignition switch cylinder but that requires removing the whole fork bridge and drilling out the cylinder's security bolts so I'm all "ehh" since it's just cosmetic. But since I have some time to kill I might as well.

I'd love to pull the valve cover and give it a re-spray since it's bubbling, but that will definitely wait.

As I was putting it together I found myself trying to rationalize why the fairings are held together with four dzus quick release fasteners and then 4 other regular screws. I could... not... rationalize it :haw:

BMW cargo culting stuff they don't understand by aping people who know what they're doing

See also: the s1000 having tilting fuel tank mounts like a Fireblade when the tank can't actually tilt because the airbox is in the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There was an absolutely torrential downpour on Monday, so I'm confident the roads are pretty clean. Got the bike out for the year today. It begins.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Just going through the last pieces of nonsense from rebuilding an abandoned bike. Sheared compression adjuster detent mechanism in the base valve. Trying to find a source for a replacement.

The old KTM nitro bladder forks are the best they ever made though. Always nice to see the quality when going through them. I hear the 2024 fork is finally good though. Look forward to ripping one apart.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Had a long, boring team meeting so I just took the laptop into the shed and worked while I listened with the camera off. I swapped the stupid ignition switch plastic. It was like an hour of work, 45 minutes of which was me trying and failing to drill out the stupid security screws holding the lock to the fork bridge.

Replaced the security screws with regular hex bolts. Like, if that's what was stopping you from stealing a 30yo bike then you're welcome, I guess.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Got the bike out for the year today. It begins.

Also this. All bikes minus the RS are now out and ready to toot!

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Rode to work today, which was way wetter than anticipated, and cars are still parking in the designated motorcycle area so I had to ride through some mud to park. Then I washed my disgusting filthy bike when I got home.

But I rode so it was a good day.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It was nice and sunny here but cool. I don't really stop riding in the Portland area unless there's snow/ice.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Todays commute lined up perfectly with a huge day long downpour. I'll have to finally get some water proof layers because after an hour I was completely soaked with water filling up my boots. Hopefully the gear dries before tomorrow.

Still, if it's raining that means its above freezing. There were a few 15 degree mornings this winter that hurt a lot more than being wet on the freeway.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

im planning a weeklong pnw trip in june so i think its finally time to find some waterproofs too

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I learned on last year's Norway trip that my boots aren't waterproof anymore (if they ever were) - I've never ridden in so much rain for so long before, or had wet feet for so long. New boots before this year's trip, also hoping for better weather but not banking on it. For the purpose of drying boots i finally installed one of those machines that force warm air through hoses at home and it's great, but it's not coming to Norway and drying boots when camping is difficult and tedious, also demoralising when they get soaked through again the next morning. Hoping this summer will involve riding glorious twisties without wet socks flapping in the wind all over the rear of the bike, one way or another.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Since I do a little back packing also, I heard about a trick for drying wet boots in a tent when you don't have a full on fire, or access to anything else to dry with.
Set one of these up in the heel of the boot. its called a tea candle in Norwegian. and use that to heat up and dry the boot.

Mind you, I've never tried it, and for me it sound more like a recipe to experience the smell of burning foot odor, get burned insoles and be stuck in another country with a boot that has been partially on fire.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah, that seems sketchy. It would provide both heat and air circulation which are both good things but I'm doubtful a candle would stay lit down there. Maybe worth testing on a sacrificial boot sometime, possibly experimenting with some kind of candle holder/chimney for safety. Other options I've seen recommended are hot water in bottles, or warm rocks from the fire. There are also at least three different principles of pocket heaters one could try. The supersaturated salt solution forming chrystals ones are probably useless, but the iron oxidizing ones or the something-burning-inside-a-metal-case ones could possibly work maybe.
E: I'll probably stick with the tried and true method of soaking up the worst with successive loads of scrunched up newspaper (although it's getting harder to find in this digital age) and driving out the last moisture with body heat the next day.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 7, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Drying is all about air circulation from my experience. I use a pair of cheap USB powered pocket sized personal fans you can just get from amazon and shove in your backpack.

Both still rely on you having foresight to pack them, unless you happen to make tea lights part of your regular backpacking kit.

I have two of these that I shove into wet shoes in the winter and it significantly helps in drying.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 7, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mmf. I'm still chasing an oil leak from around where the oil cooler return bolts to the sump/block. I changed the oil so I took the opportunity to unbolt the return line, clean around the area, and replace both crush washers on the banjo. I didn't see any obvious splotches when I let it run for a bit so I was really happy, but then I checked the shed just now and.. there was a new small stain around that same area.

I'm too frustrated to pull the fairings again today so I'll do that tomorrow or this weekend. Not really sure what my next move is. I have aluminum washers in there now. Should I be swapping these with copper or do they both seal about the same? I torqued the banjo down to 35nm per the svc manual so I dunno. If it's leaking at the banjo I can take one more crack at cleaning the mating surface but barring that I"m really not sure where to go but starting to replace the banjo and actual return line until it stops leaking.

I guess I'll also have to make sure it actually IS the banjo. I'll do another good wipe-down of the whole area with kerosene and then let it run for a bit, maybe with a camera on the block to see if I can catch something I didn't see before.

e: Oh further thought, there's also an oil pressure switch right above it that could be leaking and weeping down to the same area. Hmmm.

e2: Literally just found this -- wonder if it's what I"m seeing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJIlZgZo9V4

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 8, 2024

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Luckily I always pack a candle, there’ve been a few times bike-camping when I needed a long-lasting source of low heat (like for warming my oil pan and battery-area on a below-freezing morning, or having a way to warm hands when working on the bike).

I never thought to put it in my boot, though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We put candles in our boots, which was the style at the time :cloud:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The ol' Spicy Boot

Next day edit: I finally got some hook and loop pads for my dewalt polisher and finished polishing the windshield I'd meticulously sanded down.

I won't say it's perfect, and there's still some lingering yellow -- especially in the very edges -- but it's 100% better than it was when I bought the bike and doesn't look like someone spent a decade chain smoking directly onto it. I know when to leave well enough alone and won't go back with another sanding pass to chase that OEM-fresh clarity.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 8, 2024

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rainy saturday so I hid in the garage getting some prep work done on the track bike.

Cut up some foam to properly secure the tiny Lifepo4 battery that was just banging around in there.

I discovered as I was listing it for sale that the Healtech quickshifter I removed from my 390 is compatible with the SV, since they use the same injector connectors, so installed that. Nice to not have to buy another one.

Installed speed bleeders and bled the brakes. I still love speed bleeders, so easy. Having a bleeder on the RCS 19 made it very easy to get a nice firm lever too.

(One of the) previous owner(s) did a not so great job of painting the frame and swingarm, it was coming off pretty badly. I kept telling myself it's a ratty track bike that's going to end up in the dirt sooner or later and to just touch it up if anything, but next thing I knew I had stripped the frame and swingarm. I just can't help myself. I'll finish prep this week and see how it takes to some fresh paint. Can't look any worse than it did before.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

I've finally got both of my wheels... and they're slightly different colours. gently caress. It'll probably look OK on the bike but I'll know, and now so will the internet.

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah it cost me $150 all in to have my wheels powder-coated.

I got around to speaking to the powder coating place and they want CHF 360 per wheel which is too much of a rip-off even for Switzerland. The body shop I used for my car said they can repaint wheels so maybe they'll be a bit cheaper.. but I guess maybe I'll just have to stick with the slight mismatch in colours.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brake dust will cover your secret shame anyway.

But just speaking as rando internet guy, I wouldn't have noticed the incredibly slight mismatch if you hadn't pointed it out, if that makes you feel any better. Slap it on a killer bike and I guarantee you no one will :)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Put my new battery in, put a tank full of fresh gas in, installed my new Givi weightless 901 top box, went and got some snacks to test it out. It's a perfect complement to the bike, size-wise. It's super light weight, made from the stipply plastic like Samsonite carry on luggage is made from. The best part is that, when expanded, it fits my XL full face including visor, which is probably the only piece of luggage I've ever used that actually fits one of my orange-on-a-toothpick sized lids. Going to ride down to Seattle tomorrow. Weather is going to be great all week!

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

I went to reinstall my battery that I had on a tender and promptly lost the nut holding one of the leads in the bowels of whatever is below the battery cradle. :bahgawd:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

2Fast2Nutricious posted:

I went to reinstall my battery that I had on a tender and promptly lost the nut holding one of the leads in the bowels of whatever is below the battery cradle. :bahgawd:

It's next to the 10mm socket

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

2Fast2Nutricious posted:

Classic.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Replaced my brake master cylinder again, getting rid of the weird rock-hard-lever-pull one for one that, on testing, demonstrates a more normal action. Hopefully the brakes won't drag as much on this one. It seemed like gravity made the fluid leak out of the old one too quickly, so maybe it was some kind of casting issue with the cylinder body that wouldn't seal.... whatever.

Tried to replace my worn-out ignition cylinder with another Ali Express special. First, I mistakenly ordered the six-wire version. Next, I ordered the correct four-wire version, but it lacks... taillight support. The taillight isn't on when the bike is on. I have no idea if this is a Chinese thing or not, where Chinese bikes might have an on/off switch for lights and it expects that. But, the headlight is on... Did a solder point break?? Switched back to my old jumpscare ignition cylinder with some rubber damping to help it not shut off in the middle of riding. Seems to work well so far—only one episode on the road for a month.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Welp, that was a short trip. Got to the border, shut the bike off and leaned it on to the side stand, and it starts absolutely pissing coolant out the bottom. Well poo poo. I'm thinking something with the overflow bottle maybe, temps were solid and it wasn't leaking prior to the ~30 min highway jaunt to the border. So I looped around and came back home. Maybe just a loose hose clamp or leaking hose from when it was serviced the other week? Probably down at least 250ml or more. Contacted the mechanic who did the job to see what her availability is. It sucks not having tools or stands to look into it myself.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

:eyepop:
your 2005 became a 2004

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MSPain posted:

:eyepop:
your 2005 became a 2004

It was already a 2004 (or maybe a 2003, who knows the frame doesn't even have a VIN lol), just very poorly painted to look like an 05+.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Installed the new rad cap, went on sooo much tighter than the old one. The old one didn't even need to be pushed past a detent to open it. I rode it up to the only self serve car wash in the greater Vancouver area to give it a good wash. Lots of stop and go, plenty of opportunity to get hot, zero leaks at all. Got a few things on the way back, looks like a good fix. Running errands with a top box is so much better than a cargo net or a backpack.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Nothing, for once!

All my servicing is up to date and all my consumables are fresh. Work has been hosed lately, and it has been such a joy/relief/grounding experience to commute into that clownshow on a bike that is running perfectly.

prukinski fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 26, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On a whim I ordered both a genuine Hepco Becker handguard crash bar and the equivalent chinese knockoff off aliexpress. Really curious to see what the quality difference is going to be.

Of course the real thing is backordered so I guess we'll see which gets here first. I might run the knockoff until it does and give it a supervised drop test to see if the welds just pop the first time it hits the ground.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I looked over my sv650 ahead of a mandatory inspection that needs to happen real soon - the bike stops being road legal on the first of april which is also the first day when the inspection places start doing motorcycles (they want reliably ice free ground for the short test ride that's part of it). Lights all work and the chain slack and tire pressures are within spec, so that's good. While I was at it I also greased the squeaky kickstand and som other stuff, flushed the brake fluid and replaced the engine oil and filter. Last time I released the oil I had all kinds of silvery looking sparkles in the drain pan, but I was 97% sure that was because the pan had a dollop of anti-seize in it. Those remaining 3% of doubt has been nagging me just a little. This time everything looked fine with a reasonable amount of metal sludge on the plug magnet so that was a relief. A pretty small relief perhaps but I'll take it.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Invalido posted:

I looked over my sv650 ahead of a mandatory inspection that needs to happen real soon - the bike stops being road legal on the first of april which is also the first day when the inspection places start doing motorcycles (they want reliably ice free ground for the short test ride that's part of it). Lights all work and the chain slack and tire pressures are within spec, so that's good. While I was at it I also greased the squeaky kickstand and som other stuff, flushed the brake fluid and replaced the engine oil and filter. Last time I released the oil I had all kinds of silvery looking sparkles in the drain pan, but I was 97% sure that was because the pan had a dollop of anti-seize in it. Those remaining 3% of doubt has been nagging me just a little. This time everything looked fine with a reasonable amount of metal sludge on the plug magnet so that was a relief. A pretty small relief perhaps but I'll take it.

I've had ten bikes now, and every time I drain the oil on them I get wigged out about a little bit of sparkly stuff in the pan. Of all the ways I've hosed up bikes in the last decade or so, a spun bearing or other catastrophic internal failure hasn't been one of them.* I'd say a lot of my fuckups were overreactions to things that seemed like problems but weren't so, uh, IDK how much mistah sparkle you need to be seeing in your oil before you get worried.

*Mid 2000s era KTMs don't count. That's business as usual.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A few small steel shavings are usually just gearbox debris and not worth worrying about

Alloy shavings are usually bad news, alloy dust is usually piston wear

Anything brassy or copper coloured is :rip:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

prukinski posted:

*Mid 2000s era KTMs don't count. That's business as usual.

Sorry you were saying?

Clutch springs were outta spec. Clutch was slipping over 8500. Threw new ones in. Pack measured the same that it did 5 years and 10k/mi ago. The rest of the bullshit in there is just as worn as the last time I looked in there.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

A few small steel shavings are usually just gearbox debris and not worth worrying about

Alloy shavings are usually bad news, alloy dust is usually piston wear

Anything brassy or copper coloured is :rip:

Yeah. The contaminated drain pan last time around was real dirty. Likely both the aluminium and copper variety of anti-seize in it, so I saw streaks of what looked like what I image powered pistons and lots of bearing material would look like swirling around.

I bought this 2020 model year bike with just 6 megameters on the clock and I doubt anyone has touched the brakes since factory until I did so yesterday. I found a small amount of air in the rear caliper which I thought a bit weird. The pedal feels real stiff and nice now so I'm happy about that. Also like usual shifting feels great when the oil is super fresh, and spring has sprung in earnest. Life is good :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Finally got the new compression clicker so I could rebuild the base valve. Now both forks have new seals, bushings, an assbuttload of orings, and new oil. I'm running the cartridges at MXAs suggested 18 psi and I borrowed a shim stack spec from a friend. Should be all good now.

Dirtiest forks I've ever serviced though.