Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
Bath time!

Weather has been oddly sunny and warm this weekend, took immediate advantage of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Mmmmmm tasty front wheel! NOM NOM NOM

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Finished putting new Keihin 41's on my Ducati, Later I will be reattaching the air box.

Throttle cables :argh:

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I washed the Shadow Sunday, after a 4 hour ride through the woods. I also purchased some Rotella for the GSXR which I will change out today.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Went for a short spin, then the bike tried to strand me. Went to start it up, and just got a click before everything died. I ripped the plastics off in the parking lot I was in, and eventually disconnected the computer. It fired right up then. I rode home, and then cleaned the chain. Not sure what's up with the computer, but for now I'm just gonna disconnect it when I'm not riding.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sklnd posted:

Went for a short spin, then the bike tried to strand me. Went to start it up, and just got a click before everything died. I ripped the plastics off in the parking lot I was in, and eventually disconnected the computer. It fired right up then. I rode home, and then cleaned the chain. Not sure what's up with the computer, but for now I'm just gonna disconnect it when I'm not riding.

The computer?

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I ripped these:

...out of this:

In other words, I'm embarking on a rebuild of the carbs on my newly acquired 82 GL1100. Step 1: replace all the philips head screws on the trim, carbs and fairing with allen bolts.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Z3n posted:

The computer?
I removed the stock gear cluster and in its stead installed one of these to tell me how fast I'm not going:
http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
I picked my bike up from the mechanic after having a new clutch installed, only to find it's still slipping :(.

I don't know what the gently caress. Hopefully the springs weren't changed, because that means I still have 1 hope of an easy fix. If it ain't that I think it means the clutch housing is somehow damaged, and god drat I hope that's not so.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sklnd posted:

I removed the stock gear cluster and in its stead installed one of these to tell me how fast I'm not going:
http://trailtech.net/vapor.html

Ahh, I see. I'd check your charging system just to be on the safe side. You should get 14ish volts at the battery at around 1/3rd of total RPM or 4k, whichever is lower.

kcer posted:

I picked my bike up from the mechanic after having a new clutch installed, only to find it's still slipping :(.

I don't know what the gently caress. Hopefully the springs weren't changed, because that means I still have 1 hope of an easy fix. If it ain't that I think it means the clutch housing is somehow damaged, and god drat I hope that's not so.

Clutch springs don't really wear out in a typical motorcycle timeframe, so that shouldn't be an issue. Is the clutch cable adjusted correctly?

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Z3n posted:

Ahh, I see. I'd check your charging system just to be on the safe side. You should get 14ish volts at the battery at around 1/3rd of total RPM or 4k, whichever is lower.
I couldn't check what the battery was putting out when it wouldn't start as I didn't have a multimeter with me, but when I got home the battery was putting out about 12.7V as expected.

Haven't checked the charging system yet. Last I checked (about two weeks ago when I was diagnosing a bad wire related to the Vapor) it was pretty steady with just over 14V

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sklnd posted:

I couldn't check what the battery was putting out when it wouldn't start as I didn't have a multimeter with me, but when I got home the battery was putting out about 12.7V as expected.

Haven't checked the charging system yet. Last I checked (about two weeks ago when I was diagnosing a bad wire related to the Vapor) it was pretty steady with just over 14V

Hrm, maybe just a short in the vapor wiring then.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
Finally got around to cleaning and lubing the chain after 3200 miles. Probably should do it more often.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Z3n posted:

Clutch springs don't really wear out in a typical motorcycle timeframe, so that shouldn't be an issue. Is the clutch cable adjusted correctly?

Yep, 1/2 inch of play at the lever.

I could check the sprocket aswell just to make sure the nipple isn't somehow caught, pulling it slightly, but barr that I'm flat out of ideas. I literally have no idea what else could be causing it to slip, and I've consulted every mechanically minded person and book I know and have.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

kcer posted:

Yep, 1/2 inch of play at the lever.

I could check the sprocket aswell just to make sure the nipple isn't somehow caught, pulling it slightly, but barr that I'm flat out of ideas. I literally have no idea what else could be causing it to slip, and I've consulted every mechanically minded person and book I know and have.

Does it slip cleanly or harshly?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Old clutch was like an on/off switch, new clutch is a lot smoother.

Oh, just realised what you were asking. Both clutches slipped at about 6-7k when I accelerated quickly. The new clutch isn't spiking quite as high, but it's still doing it. The old clutch would spike horribly, essentially loosing all power for about 3-4 seconds unless I came off and applied it slowly.

kcer fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 8, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

kcer posted:

Old clutch was like an on/off switch, new clutch is a lot smoother.

Oh, just realised what you were asking. Both clutches slipped at about 6-7k when I accelerated quickly. The new clutch isn't spiking quite as high, but it's still doing it. The old clutch would spike horribly, essentially loosing all power for about 3-4 seconds unless I came off and applied it slowly.

What does the rest of your drivetrain look like? Chain, sprockets?

Does it change depending on what gear you're in?

As another test, get rolling at around 40 or so mph, kick it into top gear, and hold the throttle open enough to get it reving up to around 2/3rds of overall RPM and drop the clutch. It should just jerk and the RPMs should snap back down to normal for the speed. If it hangs at all, your clutch still isn't engaging correctly.

Unless there's something critically wrong with your chain and sprockets (ie, so rounded that they just let go under heavy load) the problem is still with your clutch. I'd double check all of the individual pieces of the clutch and see if it's possible for it to be hanging partially disengaged somewhere, via an incorrectly installed actuator rod or something.

What bike are you riding again? Being able to reference a parts diagram would help :)

Also, what the hell sort of mechanic would change a clutch and then not test ride it?

Edit: VVV drat good call VVV

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 9, 2009

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dumb question maybe, but what oil is in that bike kcer?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
'02 YZF600R

New chain and sprockets about 3k miles ago, so I doubt it's that.

Oil is 20W-40 I believe.

In 1st and 2nd I don't notice it since I don't really open it far enough down there. 3rd, 4th and to a lesser extent 5th, it's noticable as soon as you go past about 6-7k revs with a bit of pace. 6th not so much.

The mech said he "took it round the block" and I only notice it while accelerating with a bit of a push, like on a motorway or a weekend ride.

I'll try that test tomorrow morning. It's a 4 day weekend now and I really wanted it sorted by now :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

kcer posted:

'02 YZF600R

New chain and sprockets about 3k miles ago, so I doubt it's that.

Oil is 20W-40 I believe.

In 1st and 2nd I don't notice it since I don't really open it far enough down there. 3rd, 4th and to a lesser extent 5th, it's noticable as soon as you go past about 6-7k revs with a bit of pace. 6th not so much.

The mech said he "took it round the block" and I only notice it while accelerating with a bit of a push, like on a motorway or a weekend ride.

I'll try that test tomorrow morning. It's a 4 day weekend now and I really wanted it sorted by now :(

What brand/etc of oil is it? If there's oil with energy conserving modifiers in it, it can cause wet clutches to slip.

Also, taking it around the block is not an appropriate test for a clutch. Get him to ride the bike, admit that there is something wrong, and fix the god drat thing.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
I don't recall. All I know was he didn't have the brand Yamaha recommend. I'll call him today and find out.

What sort of effect will temperature have on it? Before the new clutch went in, it slipped ridiculously bad on a particularly cold morning last week.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

kcer posted:

I don't recall. All I know was he didn't have the brand Yamaha recommend. I'll call him today and find out.

What sort of effect will temperature have on it? Before the new clutch went in, it slipped ridiculously bad on a particularly cold morning last week.

Outside temp isn't going to make a huge difference.

Seriously, if he just dumped random energy conserving oil in there...who the hell is this mechanic? I mean, it's an honest mistake to make, I've done it before, but someone you're paying to do work on a bike shouldn't pull that poo poo.

Edit:

If it says that on it, then it can cause wet clutches to slip. Best solution is to immediately dump the oil and replace it with something that doesn't have the "Energy Conserving" on the bottom of the donut, and hope that it didn't glaze your clutch plates (again).

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Right. I'll check when I wake up and try that test.

Thanks for the help Z3n, I'll post back on how it goes :)

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
That test checked out, though I'll try it again to be sure on the way home. I put it into 6th, set it to about 10k and it grabbed fine and dropped down. Didn't appear to hang at all.

I can't get a hold of that guy at the minute. Either he's busy or he's away for Easter.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

kcer posted:

That test checked out, though I'll try it again to be sure on the way home. I put it into 6th, set it to about 10k and it grabbed fine and dropped down. Didn't appear to hang at all.

I can't get a hold of that guy at the minute. Either he's busy or he's away for Easter.

How did the sprockets look? Hows the chain?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Changed them about 3-4k miles ago. I haven't looked at the sprockets in any details, but the chain is fine and I'd imagine they are too.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

kcer posted:

Changed them about 3-4k miles ago. I haven't looked at the sprockets in any details, but the chain is fine and I'd imagine they are too.

Double check the sprockets and chain tension just in case. Premature part failure is not uncommon in the land of replacement parts for both cars and bikes.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
The thing is no loving better than it was before the new(?) clutch. It was awful on the ride home, so straight away I took the fairing off, opened up the clutch cover and checked the sprocket (both sprockets look great) the clutch mechanism and the push rod. They all look fine.

I've eliminated every possible option. It's not the drivetrain, it's not the clutch mechanism, it's not the cable, it's not the lever, it's not the push rod and it supposedly has a brand new clutch on. The only possible remaining choice is that he's replaced it and filled it with poo poo oil.

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

kcer posted:

The thing is no loving better than it was before the new(?) clutch. It was awful on the ride home, so straight away I took the fairing off, opened up the clutch cover and checked the sprocket (both sprockets look great) the clutch mechanism and the push rod. They all look fine.

I've eliminated every possible option. It's not the drivetrain, it's not the clutch mechanism, it's not the cable, it's not the lever, it's not the push rod and it supposedly has a brand new clutch on. The only possible remaining choice is that he's replaced it and filled it with poo poo oil.

Are you SURE the cable is adjust correctly? Just double/triple/quadruple check it. Oil with friction modifiers/energy savers (as mentioned before) really will do a number on a wet clutch. An oil change is cheap, might as well try it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I eviscerated my 95 f650 today, engine is puking oil into the airbox and all signs point towards a counterbalance shaft seal. http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/CounterBalanceSealFailureFAQ.htm

tiny loving part that requires the engine to be dropped and split. I have a full seal and gasket kit for it so while its open I'll replace everything i can. no pics of the teardown as i didnt want to get my camera or phone destroyed with grime and oil, i'll be needing a few new exhaust header studs and nuts too as i had to cut off the lower nut on both header pipes, also all the hoses are perished and crappy so i'll be replacing them aswell.
I'll be bringing the engine into the kitchen to split it so i'll take plenty of pics of the whole thing.
The local shop wanted 300 euro to do it with me dropping the engine and bringing it in, 500 with them doing it all. given the current state of my finances my time isnt really that valuable.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

echomadman posted:

I eviscerated my 95 f650 today, engine is puking oil into the airbox and all signs point towards a counterbalance shaft seal. http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/CounterBalanceSealFailureFAQ.htm

tiny loving part that requires the engine to be dropped and split. I have a full seal and gasket kit for it so while its open I'll replace everything i can. no pics of the teardown as i didnt want to get my camera or phone destroyed with grime and oil, i'll be needing a few new exhaust header studs and nuts too as i had to cut off the lower nut on both header pipes, also all the hoses are perished and crappy so i'll be replacing them aswell.
I'll be bringing the engine into the kitchen to split it so i'll take plenty of pics of the whole thing.
The local shop wanted 300 euro to do it with me dropping the engine and bringing it in, 500 with them doing it all. given the current state of my finances my time isnt really that valuable.

Sorry to hear that, my 2003 F650 had some calamity with the gear box causing the countershaft to become lose (movable by 1/2" up, down left, right) and I ended up just buying a new engine since mine had 53K miles on it and two different shops wanted in upwards of $2000 to drop the motor split the cases, figure out what caused it and fix it. Best of luck on your rebuild, I'm really interested to hear how easy/difficult it is for you.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I got my ride inspected, finally. I've owned it since August, and the inspection has been out a lot longer than that. Tomorrow, 400 mile ride to the other side of Texas!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

sklnd posted:

I got my ride inspected, finally. I've owned it since August, and the inspection has been out a lot longer than that. Tomorrow, 400 mile ride to the other side of Texas!

Pics or it doesn't happen.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kcer posted:

Maybe your gears are stripped to all hell or you have bent shift forks? If it was just 2nd gear that's doing this, I would guarantee that's what it is. loving Yamaha transmissions.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe your gears are stripped to all hell or you have bent shift forks? If it was just 2nd gear that's doing this, I would guarantee that's what it is. loving Yamaha transmissions.

I'm not going to do anything to it. I reset the clutch position and adjusted it and still no luck.

I'm going to give it back to him on Tuesday, tell him to sort it out or I ain't payin'.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Bussed to my parents' place where I stored it for the winter, reviewed the de-Winterizing steps, broke out the Clymer, etc. Actual work will start tomorrow if Can Tire is open. I really wish I had a garage at my apartment. Oh well.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Tried to install some new handlebars on my Ruckus, didnt go so well. Spent about 2 hours removing the old bars due to a stripped screw only to find out that the shim that was "supposed" to work to attach the new stem, actually didnt work. Also figured out that I am going to have to relocate the front turn signals to make these bars work without hitting, but no drill bit that I own would drill a half inch hole in the metal where I need it to be. So, I'm going to have to buy at least one new drill bit and bite the bullet and order the shim (I've already bought two that didnt work) that I know will work.

Oh, and taisa...that bike is sexy as gently caress.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Rode it 380 or so miles. F yeah.

blugu64 posted:

Pics or it doesn't happen.

Just outside of Midland, Texas.

The headphones look like a pull-string for my bike. I like it.

A few hours after I got to Odessa a badass thunderstorm came through and dropped slightly larger than golfball sized hail and enough wind (possibly small tornado?) to rip a house apart a mile from my parents place. Luckily the littlest ninja was safely tucked away in my dad's shop for the evening.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
I've been noticing that the bike idles rather badly when it's cold unless I have the choke most of the way on, so I dumped half a can of seafoam into the gas tank to see if it's a clogged idle circuit or something. I'm only at 5600 miles, so I'm waiting until next weekend to do the valves, which are the other thing that I suspect as a potential cause.

I noticed the oil was down at the bottom of the sight glass too, so I put in about half a quart to bring it back up to the top mark. The lost oil sorta worries me, because I just changed it with rotella T synthetic back at the 4000-4500 mile mark a few weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
The roads were finally warm and dry enough to go out for the first serious backroad hooning of the season. That's not to say that I haven't been riding the same roads all winter long, but sweeping through a corner, knowing that there's not going to be a fuckoff giant patch of damp road, wet leaves, or frost, makes everything just a little more enjoyable.