Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Z3n posted:

You should be able to find some used replacement parts for a fair bit cheaper than 600$ for the radiator and 300$ for the fan. Hell, I've got a few fans floating around if you feel like doing a little wiring.

Believe me, I'm looking around. I found a set of footpegs and Engine cover fairings for cheap yesterday, if I want a Frankenbike I could get those green cowlings from ebay too. The problem is it's an 08 KLR and there aren't too many parted ones out there yet, if it had been an 07, I bet the whole project wouldn't cost over $400, since most anything from the mid 80's to 07 would fit. The radiator was one of the things they upgraded for 08, smaller, lighter and a different shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Retarded Pimp posted:

Believe me, I'm looking around. I found a set of footpegs and Engine cover fairings for cheap yesterday, if I want a Frankenbike I could get those green cowlings from ebay too. The problem is it's an 08 KLR and there aren't too many parted ones out there yet, if it had been an 07, I bet the whole project wouldn't cost over $400, since most anything from the mid 80's to 07 would fit. The radiator was one of the things they upgraded for 08, smaller, lighter and a different shape.

Ahh, I had forgotten that they did a revision in 08. I suppose there's no chance of an earlier radiator having the same mounting points, just a somewhat different shape? I'm fitting a TL radiator on my SV, and it'll require some bracketing and such, but nothing major :)

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Well the B1250 has a feature that my old GS550 didn't, parking lights. Apparently if you leave said parking lights on through a 10 hour work shift and no one tells you, it'll drain the battery completely.

So there you have it... that's what I did to my bike today...

Oh yah, yesterday I got my bike to an indicated 135mph... just a hair over the 65mph speed limit...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Skreemer posted:

Oh yah, yesterday I got my bike to an indicated 135mph... just a hair over the 65mph speed limit...

I hit 125 on the test ride on the B12 that I was planning on buying...I think I was in 3rd. :xd: Those bikes are stupid, stupid fast.

I don't know why they put parking lights on motorcycles. I don't think I've ever been in a situation to use them. :iiam:

On my bike today, I went down to the storage unit and started it to make sure that the wiring harness that i'd put in was installed correctly and that the bike wasn't draining current while it was supposed to be off. Fired right up. :)

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
Finished cosmetic work on my ride, fresh paint and a new seat cover. The following is a brief history of my motorcycle since everyone likes pictures.

When I bought her. Rattle-can "color changing" paint. :barf: A host of mechanical and electrical problems. (Note the rags tied on the forks as a fork seal solution.)

Here she is with a coat of paint and most mechanical problems resolved. Running great!

And finally: stripped the badges, better paint, and a new seat cover. All mechanical and electrical issues resolved.

1983 Suzuki GS650L

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

New o-ring chain and a set of Avon Storm STs

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I fixed my scraping disc. Turns out I had hosed up the spacer sequence on the front axle at some point last year. :blush: No permanent damage thankfully. New pads have seated well and are biting good. Took it out for a 100 mile ride, handling-wise it's now better than ever. Took some bites out of my fresh chicken strips on amazing roads which I have never been down before, awesome fun. Pics later.

Engine-wise, I've ordered a carb sync tool and colortune.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Today I learned that yes, indeed, you can be too optimistic about the weather. I went for a ~150km round trip, and a bit over half of that was spent riding through a thunderstorm, in a textile jacket that leaks, textile pants that I'd cunningly removed the waterproof innner liner from (because hey, it's spring, that rain poo poo only happens in winter :smith: ), and my nice helmet with tinted visor. The only bright spot, was that I still have my heated grips installed, which definitely saved my sanity when temps started pushing below 5*C. Oh, and for good measure, I even got to ride through a brief snowfall. :krad:

tl, dr: gently caress Duncan, BC.

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

Skreemer posted:

Well the B1250 has a feature that my old GS550 didn't, parking lights. Apparently if you leave said parking lights on through a 10 hour work shift and no one tells you, it'll drain the battery completely.

So there you have it... that's what I did to my bike today...

Do me a favor, shut the gently caress up about your 1250. I cannot afford one right now, and you're not making it any easier, ok? Thanks.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
so you merely matched the speed my 5/650 will do. ;-)

I"m a little jealous too.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 24, 2020

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mechanism Eight posted:

It's pretty stupid but a legal requirement in some places, I believe. :(

I guess that's in case you break down on the road? I'm confused. Wouldn't that mean that technically, every car parked on the side of a road at night must have it's parking lights on? Or is that only if you're parked in the road? Weird.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 24, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Z3n posted:

I guess that's in case you break down on the road? I'm confused. Wouldn't that mean that technically, every car parked on the side of a road at night must have it's parking lights on? Or is that only if you're parked in the road? Weird.

It's an old law from the horse and buggy days. Horses don't have headlights so they were always running into parked cars I guess. They didn't have street lights back then.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mechanism Eight posted:

But I digress. Today I tried to remove the glue left over by the previous owner's velcro tank bag fasteners. It's all hard and crusty yet quite resilient. I held a rag soaked in petrol against the glue which seems to have dried it out and I can slowly pick it off the tank with my fingernails. Any suggestions on a safe tool to use on the tank to speed this up? Or any safe chemicals to dissolve the glue?

Petrol etc will eat the finish. Get some Goo-Gone. Don't use a razor, you'll cut into the clearcoat. A plastic wedge works great.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
I started it up.

Still bogs in the midrange

Still a nightmare

still waiting to do a valve adjustment job

Wish I had friends who were into Bikes who lived near me to help out

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

Chill_Bebop posted:

I started it up.

Still a nightmare

You live in CA, there are like a half a million motorcycle goons out there. I'm sure someone here could help you out.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I took my husky out a few times this week despite not getting to the DMV yet. Oh...I'll be conservative (does first and second wheelie ever). I wasn't even trying to either, just trying to accelerate from a stop with decent speed. The combo of power, no weight and a very weird hydraulic clutch with literally no feel to it just makes it light and loose as hell. Not riding it today and hitting the DMV first thing tomorrow morning. First service and inspection is a week later.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

I started it up.

Still a nightmare

Where in SD are you? I can come and help you out if you need. I've got enough hammers and duct tape to get it going I would imagine.
I've got the carbs off my bike today and will be cleaning them and doing my intake o-rings tomorrow but have no plans for Sunday.

EDIT: As jealous as I am, I'm really digging the 1250 reports. I'm gonna have to pick either a 1200 or a 1250 once I move into a place with a garage. If I had anything nice here it would be trashed then stolen or possibly stolen then trashed.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 25, 2009

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

I finally got a chance to look into why my TW200 has been making weird noises, and finally just wouldn't take off from a stoplight, resulting in me having to push it home.

Hm, this looks normal:

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Wait, something's not right...

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Well, let's see what that's supposed to look like in the manual.

gently caress. Me. Running. The area circled in red does not quite match up to the pic of mine. Hmmm.

I've already called a shop, it'll be $19cdn for a sprocket, $9 for the retainer thing, and $162 for a new shaft. Not to mention hours of pulling apart the whole goddamn engine to get to it.

Seriously, how does something like this happen? I had the sprockets & chain done ~10,000km ago. The real kicker is it finally gave up the ghost on the first nice day/ride of the season...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got it up to 50 mph for my first time. Whooaaaa. (Sorry, I'm still new at this whole thing.)

Then I removed the seat and lifted the tank just because.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Captain McAllister posted:

Bad bad picture

drat dude. I've never seen that before. I don't have a clue how a little TW could have eaten up the output shaft splines like that. Maybe if the sprocket was WAY too loose.
I would price an ebay motor against replacing the shaft on your bike. It might end up being cheaper labor wise to just replace the whole drat thing unless you are doing it yourself.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Dolphin posted:

Put a new rear tire on and tubes in both wheels. Discovered that I managed to puncture the rear tire's tube, so removed it, patched it, and put it back in. Finished the wiring at the headlight case, attaching the high beam indicator, tachometer light, and neutral light. Discovered that someone managed to rip off the speedo light, so I'll have to get a new outlet for it and connect it.

I also managed to foul out the right spark plug while tuning my carburetor, so I'll have to grab a few tomorrow and finishing tuning it.

All of this on a 1970 Honda CL350. Parts are near impossible to find, if anyone has a good source for vintage Honda parts let me know.

Ebay, obviously. Also try https://www.z1enterprises.com, https://bikebandit.com, and you can find a host of vintage parts dealers on the FAQs page at SOHC4.net's forums.

e: also, I forgot www.denniskirk.com.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 26, 2009

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I'm at school and decided to go home and pull my bike out the first nice weekend and give it a go, but it won't start; fuel wasn't getting drawn in and I determined it was a vacuum problem. Que hours looking at fuel cock, gas tank, cylinders, spark plugs and reading about maybe having timing problems, ugh. Come home this weekend to get the carbs off and give em a clean, except the throttle link is a bit hard to get off, I wonder why? Up at the handlebar the cable gott fudged up and the throttle plates were left hanging open...5 seconds later problem solved :gonk:

Oh yeah and apparently a 1/4 of oil gets my bike from half full to above full. Thankfully when I was driving it around any symptoms of way too much oil were at bay so I dodged that bullet...

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
520 conversion and +1/+5 sprockets for slightly more torque and less chain wear on my bike Friday/Saturday. Helped removed engine from 1972 Olds Cutlass Saturday as well. 520 swap and -1/+2 sprockets for my friend's F4 today.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Gave push starting a try today on my bike. Was told it would probably make me wipe out at the end of my driveway, but everything went dandy. Since my driveway has a bit of an incline going up I just aimed at the road, and it was fired up after about 2 feet of quick push. Expected more kick when it fired up, but since my hand was already on the clutch it was feathered on when the engine fired.

Failed at push starting on a level parking lot, but took more effort to use my feet to push it up to speed and kinda lurched once and I gave up before I messed anything up since it was late.

Oh and I think the most important thing this week. Passed my first 1,000 miles of riding the bike. I think I will celebrate with another oil change and cleaning the chain. :clint:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Went for a three hour long ride with my dad, punctuated with stops at pretty much every car dealership within 50km (he wants to buy a new Fusion :xd: ). Tried his bike out on the way back - for some reason the bar positioning on his R1150GS really hurt the hell out of my shoulders. :confused: It also felt like it had some wierd hesitation while at steady throttle - not sure if that's a looming problem, or just me being unfamiliar with the bike.

Yay for dads that ride! :neckbeard:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Simkin posted:

Went for a three hour long ride with my dad, punctuated with stops at pretty much every car dealership within 50km (he wants to buy a new Fusion :xd: ). Tried his bike out on the way back - for some reason the bar positioning on his R1150GS really hurt the hell out of my shoulders. :confused: It also felt like it had some wierd hesitation while at steady throttle - not sure if that's a looming problem, or just me being unfamiliar with the bike.

What kind of bike do you normally ride? I've been bugging my dad to get a bike for the past few months and he seems somewhat keen on it, but it's not going to happen over night or anything. It would be pretty rad :cool:

Today I washed my bike and scrubbed the crap out of my engine and wheels. Scrubbing most of the grime off of the back wheel took at least an hour. Now my hands hurt. :( But it looks fantastic :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

It also felt like it had some wierd hesitation while at steady throttle - not sure if that's a looming problem, or just me being unfamiliar with the bike.

Some of the 1150 engines had real issues with a lean condition at small throttle openings. My friend's 1150 was like that until he did the whole exhaust/pc/etc upgrades.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

MrZig posted:

What kind of bike do you normally ride? I've been bugging my dad to get a bike for the past few months and he seems somewhat keen on it, but it's not going to happen over night or anything. It would be pretty rad :cool:

I normally ride a 2002 Kawasaki ZR-7S. protip: if you want your dad to ride, buy him a motorcycle - that way he can't say no. :v:

Z3n: Do you have any links that I could check out for that? I don't mind trying to troubleshoot his bike - well, other than telling him that he needs to replace his squared off tyres. :xd:

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Bugdrvr posted:

Where in SD are you? I can come and help you out if you need. I've got enough hammers and duct tape to get it going I would imagine.
I've got the carbs off my bike today and will be cleaning them and doing my intake o-rings tomorrow but have no plans for Sunday.

I'm in Encinitas, but have no way of transporting my Bike. I just did my valve adjustment a few days ago but the intake valve is sitting around .28 whereas it should but .09 or so, and its stuck in place. The Exhaust Valve is fine and dandy but this Intake one is frozen, and I don't have a socket or something tiny enough to screw it down with.

I think I was a little angry when I posted before :P

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Changed the oil on the Sporty. A little different than other bikes, but pretty easy. Start the bike and let it warm up, I let the thing run for about 6-7 minutes. Disconnected the oil drain hose that's on the bottom of the frame, in the back. It took at least ten minutes for all the oil to drain out. It wasn't even warm.

I then replaced the filter, and sprayed some brake cleaner on the engine to get the oil that leaked out of the filter off. Chrome oil filters are $11.99 compared to the black ones that are $5.99. Why don't they just make a chrome cover to stick over the black one? (They probably do...)

Then I dumped just under 3 quarts of Valvoline 20W-50 "Four-cycle Motorcycle Oil" into the oil tank. It was on sale at AutoZone for $2.99, I should have got a whole case. The owners manual says 3.6 quarts, but that's way off. Fired it back up, and enjoyed the sound of a much quieter motor. I wonder how long it was since the previous owner changed the oil. I'll leave the 1 quart of Harley-Davidson oil that they gave me with the bike on the shelf as decoration.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

I'm in Encinitas, but have no way of transporting my Bike. I just did my valve adjustment a few days ago but the intake valve is sitting around .28 whereas it should but .09 or so, and its stuck in place. The Exhaust Valve is fine and dandy but this Intake one is frozen, and I don't have a socket or something tiny enough to screw it down with.

I think I was a little angry when I posted before :P

I have the tool for the valve adjustment and stuff. I'm moving to a new apt. this week but I may be free this weekend, but if not definitely some time next week.
PM me if you want to set up something. I'll bring whatever tools we may need.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

Z3n: Do you have any links that I could check out for that? I don't mind trying to troubleshoot his bike - well, other than telling him that he needs to replace his squared off tyres. :xd:

Hrm, I missed this before. IIRC, you can swap the twin spark heads over, and that can help, but according to my friend, the best solution was just to remap/rejet. People are also mentioning on BMW forums that the bikes can start to do that when they need valves and the TB adjusted.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 29, 2009

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Bugdrvr posted:

I have the tool for the valve adjustment and stuff. I'm moving to a new apt. this week but I may be free this weekend, but if not definitely some time next week.
PM me if you want to set up something. I'll bring whatever tools we may need.

That may work out great, but are you sure you want to drive to Encinitas just to turn a valve screw 3/4 of a turn down? I mean it would be great but I hate to inconvenience people.

I cannot PM, so I'll add you to aim.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Z3n posted:

Hrm, I missed this before. IIRC, you can swap the twin spark heads over, and that can help, but according to my friend, the best solution was just to remap/rejet. People are also mentioning on BMW forums that the bikes can start to do that when they need valves and the TB adjusted.

Probably won't be able to convince my dad he needs to swap heads anytime soon, but I will definitely do the valves, and look into the TB adjustment. Thanks.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I cleaned and lubed the chain for the first time since I've had the Ninja, and in celebration I drove all over the Santa Monica Mountains!

I rode to Santa Monica via the boulevard of the same name, then took PCH north until I reached the Mulholland Highway just west of Malibu. Took that back (slowly) all the way until it ends in Topanga Canyon. Went down Topanga Cyn. Blvd, back to PCH, back to Santa Monica, and finally back through the beginning of rush hour traffic to Hollywood.

About 110 miles altogether, by far the longest ride I've done yet. The second longest is about 25, when I brought the bike home from Reseda.

My first stop, somewhere early on Mulholland Hwy. I didn't take too many pictures this time out, too busy having a blast riding.

The Malibu Country Club, as far as I can tell. These canyon roads have some astounding views.

Now I'm off to ice my clutch hand, as my wrist is painfully sore...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh, hey, I can post in this thread again. Measured & compared various points all over the KLR, just to assure myself that no major components were out of dimension, and installed/aligned the rear wheel down to the thou using my Grandfather's Calipers.

Tire still rubs on muffler, though not as close as before.

Only other thing I can think of that seemed out of place, is that the space between the arms of the swingarm was an eighth to 3/16th inch wider than the assembled wheel, indicating I still may not have put the wheel together correctly (though everything on the exploded diagram seems to be in the wheel). Is it possible that the arms were in tension when it was originally assembled and a month of sitting has relaxed them?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

sirbeefalot posted:

I cleaned and lubed the chain for the first time since I've had the Ninja, and in celebration I drove all over the Santa Monica Mountains!

I rode to Santa Monica via the boulevard of the same name, then took PCH north until I reached the Mulholland Highway just west of Malibu. Took that back (slowly) all the way until it ends in Topanga Canyon. Went down Topanga Cyn. Blvd, back to PCH, back to Santa Monica, and finally back through the beginning of rush hour traffic to Hollywood.

About 110 miles altogether, by far the longest ride I've done yet. The second longest is about 25, when I brought the bike home from Reseda.

My first stop, somewhere early on Mulholland Hwy. I didn't take too many pictures this time out, too busy having a blast riding.

The Malibu Country Club, as far as I can tell. These canyon roads have some astounding views.

Now I'm off to ice my clutch hand, as my wrist is painfully sore...

Man I rode right around there when I was in LA. God I'm so jealous. Dallas is flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Today I checked the tire pressure on my bike and found the front tire was down 7psi from yesterday. Looks like the bike pump and I are going to be good friends for the next few weeks, until the guy who installed my tire re-opens his shop.