Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s bad that I can’t see the name Brandon without immediately rolling my eyes and thinking it’s some dumb Trump poo poo.

The maga folks really did ruin that name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No. 6 posted:

Gonna start a shoe company called Helmeti

:lol:

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Its the goofy little smile while looking me dead in the eyes to see if I 'get it.'

Good one bro

Edit - regarding maga not the hilarious pun

Shuka fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 26, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

No. 6 posted:

lmao

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

No. 6 posted:

sounds like that business decision could go arai

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
So, to remove the shock from an MTS1100 (and presumably, a bunch of other ducatis with SSSAs) you have to extract the 80ish millimeter bolt that attaches the bottom of the shock through a 100ish millimeter void in the swingarm.

(As in, access is through two small holes in the swingarm - you stick an allen key through and gingerly pull the bolt out through the inside of the swingarm.)

As you can imagine, there's some potential for error here. It doesn't take much for the bolt to fall off a long allen key, and part of the procedure involves the bolt just hanging out inside the swingarm with nothing really supporting it as you pull it through. The holes you're doing this through are barely wider than the diameter of the bolt.

Anyway, last night I was remounting my shock after a rebuild and lost the bolt in the swingarm, and the end of my pickup tool that I sent in after it.

Cue six hours of keyhole surgery involving a couple of rare earth magnets heat-shrunk to a zip tie (for a flexible fishing implement), a boroscope, a couple of bamboo bbq skewers, and the extremely slow accrual of knowledge about how to manipulate the lost pickup, and then the bolt, so they'd fit out of the tiny loving holes in the swingarm.

Anyway, if anyone needs their appendix out I'm pretty confident I can do it now.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Ducati edition of Operation when?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy :italy:

Just put a drat guide tube in there Ducati

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

prukinski posted:

So, to remove the shock from an MTS1100 (and presumably, a bunch of other ducatis with SSSAs) you have to extract the 80ish millimeter bolt that attaches the bottom of the shock through a 100ish millimeter void in the swingarm.

(As in, access is through two small holes in the swingarm - you stick an allen key through and gingerly pull the bolt out through the inside of the swingarm.)

As you can imagine, there's some potential for error here. It doesn't take much for the bolt to fall off a long allen key, and part of the procedure involves the bolt just hanging out inside the swingarm with nothing really supporting it as you pull it through. The holes you're doing this through are barely wider than the diameter of the bolt.

Anyway, last night I was remounting my shock after a rebuild and lost the bolt in the swingarm, and the end of my pickup tool that I sent in after it.

Cue six hours of keyhole surgery involving a couple of rare earth magnets heat-shrunk to a zip tie (for a flexible fishing implement), a boroscope, a couple of bamboo bbq skewers, and the extremely slow accrual of knowledge about how to manipulate the lost pickup, and then the bolt, so they'd fit out of the tiny loving holes in the swingarm.

Anyway, if anyone needs their appendix out I'm pretty confident I can do it now.

Lmao I've often wondered what happens if you gently caress up and let it fall in and now I know. Incredible.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
The amazing thing is that this absolutely sucked but by the end I could totally do it again, even given the absolutely hosed constraints of the situation.

(I know this because I dropped the bolt again after getting it out, and it took 5 minutes to grab, turn around, and extract.

Reminds me of something I vaguely remember hearing in the John Hinds road racing talk about how thoratic surgery isn't really any different from retrieving a bolt you've dropped into the engine case of a fireblade, it's just easier.

People and motorcycles - it's all packaging problems.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd argue humans are easier cause any accidental swarf you drop in there when cutting just gets absorbed

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had some stupidity when taking off the bar end weights on the Suzuki: hadn't done anything like it in the years since I put newer heated grips on the old Bandit, so instead of just loosening the bolt a bit and getting it all connected, I kept turning and got half out, with the bottom bit still in the handlebar tube.

I eventually got it out with some MacGyvering, but yeah lesson learned lol

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I'd argue humans are easier cause any accidental swarf you drop in there when cutting just gets absorbed

'That oughtta toughen up those hands' the ancient piece of granite hollered at me as a 16 penny splinter perforates my palm in multiple places

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Wow, I haven't posted in this thread since 2016.

Lets see here:

Helped sell a SV650.
Sold the WR250.
Bought a Concours 1000.

I got the GS650 running as good as it ever has. Turns out the float valves were utterly shot. Of course a week later, I bought the Concours.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had today off and went to take the biek to the storage place and grab a beer & fried chicken and the pub across the street. Both are closed mondays lmao. I really should've just taken the drat thing in before my vacation a couple weeks ago.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I ordered parts from NZ to get my old dirtbike some electronic ignition. Also, I found out the Yamaha-Enduro people are ... weird...

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I took a black touch-up pen to the VanVan's tank, which had one particularly deep scratch from a towing harness.

Despite some preliminary swipes at the little practice card I really blobbed it on there, then used the card to flatten the paint like it was putty against the explicit instructions from ColorRite, then decided I hadn't applied enough and blobbed another bit on there. Pretty much the same as every time I pull out touch-up paint.

It doesn't look too bad if you aren't looking right at it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remy Marathe posted:

It doesn't look too bad if you aren't looking right at it.

Thread title

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That has been my exact experience with color rite. It’s always been a big mess.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Thread title
lol perfect

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Yeah it's more of a touch-up marker. I have a pen for my car with a fine little metal tip that works more like a ball point pen, and while the struggle's the same, it's less extreme and every once in a while it manages to fill a chip nicely. I will say the Color Rite was a good paint match, had to take a lucky stab at the VanVan using the same black as the TU250X.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi posted:

That has been my exact experience with color rite. It’s always been a big mess.

They supplied a brush-on clearcoat to go with the touch up paint I got for the Rex. Applying it smeared the paint around even after a solid day of curing.

I figure it's likely I was an idiot about paint and you don't ever do that, but then, why sell the clear as anything but a spray?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Goddammit Cyclegear, hurry up with my tire please

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Mmmh I noticed the wood slices right under the exhaust piping probably aren't the best for holding the bike up, especially since these motherfuckers won't have my wheel done until Monday.

Corrected situation:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Why buy one 600cc bike when you could buy 12 50cc bikes instead.

Spent a few hours triaging these for an acquaintance who hoards old Hondas. Apparently they are the leftovers from someone who bought a seacan full of Japanese rental Supercubs sight unseen at an auction.

They are Honda C50's with 12 volt electrics, electronic ignition, and round headlights so maybe 1983?

We actually had one running briefly on a bit of gas in the cylinder so off to a promising start.

The upside is that the gas tanks we checked were not rusty just with a layer of tar from whatever was left in the tank. The downside is we could not check the other tanks as they have locking gas caps and no keys. Between 12 bikes there are four keys.

Besides the missing keys the next challenge is most of them have stuck slides in the carbs so the tar appears to be there as well.

Despite being a bit of a hoarder he has assured me he plans to sell all but two of these so it might be an interesting winter getting them back together.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My bet is they all run

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They're Hondas. Put in a new battery and fresh gas, kick them over with the ignition off a few times, then flip the switch and ride away

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Beve Stuscemi posted:

My bet is they all run

That is what my bet as well.

The owner was questioning if the bike we started on had any compression while kicking it over. Then it ran for 10 seconds on a teaspoon of gas in the plug hole.

Sagebrush posted:

They're Hondas. Put in a new battery and fresh gas, kick them over with the ignition off a few times, then flip the switch and ride away

I think the hardest part will be getting past the locking gas caps and replacing 24 tires.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chances are half of them are keyed the same anyway.

And yeah, 24 tires will suck

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Pulled This Old 950 down for cam chains and a new coolant pump seal.
The early non keyed flywheel that is known for friction welding itself on came right off.
Both cam chains went in without a hassle.
Engine timing set up was a breeze
Steaming right on a long. Drop the side cover on the bench to slip a new seal in and a pair of new bearings.
The "hardened pump shaft" the po put in is completely spanked. Bullshit. More loving lies. Probably an original ktm part from when the loving Romans were around.

gently caress. I might as well order the transmission and all the other bullshit the 05.5+ bikes got. Sling the reinforced CJ clutch basket in there while I'm at it before this one explodes and fucks up the cases.

Was fully expecting the flywheel to be friction welded to the crank. No keyway till 2004.5.

Front chain deflection. There was a 12mm difference in preload on the tensioner between the old chain and new.

Deep grooves in the shaft. The pump seal was worn down. some manual says to replace the seal every 9500 miles(lolno). The uprated shaft pushes the seal interval to 30ishk. I've not opened this since I've owned the bike. It probably has 40-45k miles on it.

Prob should do a thread about this old piece of poo poo at this rate.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I admire your dedication to keeping that POS in perfect working order, it reminds me of the sorts things audi people do

You got pretty lucky with that flywheel I've gotta say

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I admire your dedication to keeping that POS in perfect working order, it reminds me of the sorts things audi people do

You got pretty lucky with that flywheel I've gotta say

Funny you mention Audi poo poo. A frame off restored first gen RS6 showed up shortly after I got started. The 4.2 with the rear mount chains and twin turbos.
It was a friend of a friends customer's car that'd been shipped here for a full go through. I didn't have to do poo poo to it.

Idk why I keep doing it. Self loathing most likely. I've been window shopping for another wr250r or a xr650r or someshit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You'd just get bored

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

cursedshitbox posted:

Funny you mention Audi poo poo. A frame off restored first gen RS6 showed up shortly after I got started. The 4.2 with the rear mount chains and twin turbos.
It was a friend of a friends customer's car that'd been shipped here for a full go through. I didn't have to do poo poo to it.

Idk why I keep doing it. Self loathing most likely. I've been window shopping for another wr250r or a xr650r or someshit.

At least the first-gen RS6 has the timing chains that only go between the cams with the belt in the front, so changing the chains isn't an engine-out operation.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, still not a fun job, just not the triple chain that requires the engine to come out.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

helno posted:

Confirmed.

Bits of the spring fell out of the left hand dust seal so I imagine the real crank seal is hosed as well. Not unexpected since this bike sat in a shed since the mid 80's.

As an update to this it turns out that the seal was actually installed backwards by whoever overhauled it in the 80's.

Despite the carnage the crank bearings spin pretty smoothly. Not sure if it will be possible to clean the crank well enough so I'll likely be buying a new one.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Fun stuff.

All I did to my ride today was 45 miles

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
All I've done lately is look longingly at the bike sitting dormant in the shed while it's properly cold and almost a foot of snow outside. I should probably pour that fuel stabilizer I bought for the purpose into the tank and slosh it around a bit and also bring the battery inside and give it a charge I guess. Around this time last year I was still riding but this winter has been very different so far.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I reshuffled my garage, parked the bikes that won’t move for a couple months in the back and got the F11-250 up on the lift so I can start working on getting it road/trail worthy again.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
57 degrees F here even at 4:30am but it's raining pretty good. I think I'll still ride to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I took the scooter to see a movie because it was like 60 degrees and barely drizzling here yesterday. I started it a couple weeks ago when I also pulled the Harley out and got it started (had to charge the battery a bit and it’s clearly not the best gas still in that tank) and yesterday it just immediately turned over.

I’m used to having to kick it a few times for it to get enough gas moving to turn over but it was eager to go.

I’ve considered putting the stock bars back on the Harley over the winter in case it makes it easier to sell come spring, but I don’t know that I want to open that can of worms.