Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Phy posted:

Working on getting it back out of storage. It runs, I could ride it home tonight if I had my gear with me, but I want to do the valve shims and a carb balance first.

Does my front sprocket look worn enough to be worth replacing? My rear is for sure fine.

I run mine until it looks like a japanese woodcut of a wave. If you run it past that you get built-in traction control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I run mine until it looks like a japanese woodcut of a wave. If you run it past that you get built-in traction control.

See the one I posted last page for what's too much wear

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Last weekend I took off the carrier for the top box I haven’t actually used since probably September.

The bike looks infinitely better.

I should probably just sell it for a few bucks but it also doesn’t take up a ton of room.

I am no anti-top box but I am definitely anti-top box on my Bonneville. I tend to lean practicality over aesthetics but … I just can’t. It’s too ugly and when I took my long road trip last year, it created this wall with my other luggage so that instead of leaning on my duffel being comfortable, it was shoved into my back.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
DRZ just passed inspection without any issues whatsoever and is officially street legal until May of 2026. Hooray!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do you guys have to do regular inspections? Or is that just registration?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
no it's a periodic thing for any motor vehicle over 50cc. Always safety, sometimes emissions, sometimes OBD codes depending on vehicle. How often also depends, my car is old enough that it needs to come in every 13 months but motorcycles are every 24, unless brand new when it's twice that for the first inspection (which is what my SV "passed" last week) - it's every 24 henceforth. Once they get old enough motorcycles are exempt.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's interesting. Here I can do one safety and then I'm in some kind of weird ship of theseus situation where I don't really have to think about it again.

I'm sure legally there's some language about how much you can change on a motorcycle before it needs to be re-assessed but I can't say I've had to ever think about it before.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
In the US, inspection requirements can differ even in the same state. The Portland Metro area requires inspections (mostly for exhaust I think?) but the county I live in just south of there doesn't.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I'm my county there are no inspections for anything. The roads are a mad max wasteland where you can register and drive any falling apart heap so long as it isn't so visibly dangerous that you get pulled over for it

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah inspections are annoying and cost time and money but I view them as a net good. They force me to look over my car at least once a year even though I don't really want to because I don't like cars or working on them very much. I'm fairly mechanically literate and at least somewhat sensitive to things being wrong with vehicles compared to most people I know, but I've still failed for stuff going bad I didn't know about but needed to know about, like ball joints, tie rod ends, asymmetric braking and once a rear seat belt that was completely chewed through by a mouse tunnelling for sound deadening foam.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
There were talks of getting bi yearly inspections for motorcycles in Norway, but they actually looked at the statistics. None of the road deaths involving motorcycles was caused by the technical state of the motorcycle.
So the initiative was scrapped. We have so few road deaths that all are investigated properly.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I may be misinformed but I think bikes in Sweden used to be every year but they lengthened the interval, for the similar reasons. The average bike leads a very different life from the average car. Very few miles ridden, no road salt corrosion, rarely ridden at night when lights are important for real, fewer things that can go wrong and more obvious when they do. Less incentive to use a vehicle that's obviously broken too since most bikes are toys more than transportation.

One of the things I had to learn (and carry out in part under scrutiny) before getting licenced to drive or ride was how to do a safety inspection of the vehicle. If done by the book it would check pretty much the same boxes as they do at the vehicle inspection when looking at a motorcycle. But ain't nobody got time for that. Still a good thing to know how to do If riding something for the first time(/in a long time) guess. I sure checked the bearings, shocks and brakes to the best of my abilities before test riding or buying that DRZ, for example. Which I'm gonna ride today for the first time for real even though it's bitterly cold because I'm a child at heart and motorcycles are super fun.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pulled the valve cover off and recorded clearances, tomorrow is time to have fun with spreadsheets

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Phy posted:

Pulled the valve cover off and recorded clearances, tomorrow is time to have fun with spreadsheets

what kind of bike and what did you find?
generally I find that the exhaust side will have tightened up a bit and the intake side is usually in spec.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
After degreasing the engine to find the source of the leak, it looks like it was two oil pan bolts where the aftermarket belly pan plastic was installed. Tightened them up and haven't seen a new drop of oil since.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

yummycheese posted:

what kind of bike and what did you find?
generally I find that the exhaust side will have tightened up a bit and the intake side is usually in spec.

ZRX1100. Exhausts loose on the left, in spec in the middle, tight on the right. Intakes loose on both outsides, in spec in the middle again. I did the valves myself last time, back in 2019.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phy posted:

ZRX1100

:swoon:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
doing important and fancy mods this weekend

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

doing important and fancy mods this weekend

You're telling me that big TFT dash doesn't even have a clock?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I like how the design principles of the dash and the watch are basically the same but the watch is executed so much better

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I just bought a cheap Casio on eBay for that purpose myself!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yep i had a 10 dollar analog watch from target (no band, lugs filed off) VHB-taped onto the top yoke for like 5 years until the salt air made it too gross to look at.

maybe time to get another one!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
i almost never keep the clock on my other bike even close to the correct time, so i don't know why not it bothered me to not have the time

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'd rather have a clock than a fuel gauge

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
More bike maintenance. 6 bikes are cool and all but the maintenance oh God

Oil+ filter change on KLX140 and a new spark plug because I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. It had sat for a couple months but I'm happy to report that I had just forgotten this bike has a fuel valve :downs:

Oil+ filter change, clean air filter, new plug, and full chain and sprocket kit for the KX250. Only 55 hours on it but man the dunes sure did a number on it. The chain is loving wrecked. I cleaned and lubed it regularly.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 21, 2024

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

got the Ninja its first service done plus 4 new spark plugs as part of the recall. Doesn't run any different so I guess mine wasn't affected. Also spent all day looking for a turn signal bulb for the tiger which no one around me had. Fukkin Bezos had the drat thing to me the next day grrrrr.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Aw dang, my nighthawk has a pink $10 Justice watch strapped to the handlebar. I thought I was so unique!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Put an engine guard on the Strom. I'm probably worrying needlessly, but I didn't like how the oil filter sits right behind the wheel just waiting for a rock to get flung into it.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Fwiw my sv filter got blasted by road debris, paint failed, there was some rust. I plan on doing absolutely nothing about this other than regular oil changes.

Cheap digital watch on the bar is brilliant. Both my motos have clocks (don't know how to set it on the DRZ yet though, that UI is a bit weird) but on my e-bikes one has no clock and the other has a clock on the display that's so inaccurate I have to set it once a week or its useless. Also I have two casios in a drawer (one with a failed strap and a new watch was about the same price as a replacement strap) with years of battery life presumably left that I never ever wear.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
New graphics came in this week and got them installed yesterday.
I tracked down the original thread where these were designed from 15 years ago then called the sign shop that made the originals in Iowa to get replacements made. The business had been sold on but the person at the counter found the file after a few minutes of digging around. Pretty surprising honestly.

The first of the parts pile has arrived. A 2006 model adv transmission with the 2005.5+ updated shift drum that shouldn't fracture causing issues with gears 4/5. This one isn't broke though I'm generally nice to the shift mechanism with a background in fragile loving Yamaha boxes. If I'm splitting cases it's getting the fix.
I'll probably print a mount for the old transmission stack and keep it as a desk fidget.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Those graphics are rad

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Old Sadness

New hotness

Ordered a shido lithium battery to replace the broken too high agm battery ny my 88 tenere. I used the foam spacers to get it to a serviceable height. I also added relay for switched power via the rear light that uses power directly from the battery.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
80s Yamaha? Update your rectifier asap if you haven’t already.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

It broke last year so it's already replaced.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The front gas tank mount on the Hawk has been hosed up since I bought it.

It is supposed to use an M6 flange bolt going through a collar with a 13mm external diameter. Then the collar and bolt go through a rubber mounting block and thread into the frame, as shown here:

Courtesy of the DSPO, when I got my bike this front mount used an M8 galvanized bolt from home depot, going into a cross-drilled, off-center hole tapped at an angle (M6 threads still visible on one side), with a bunch of electrical tape wrapped around it instead of the collar. :thumbsup:

I fixed it partway in the past with better hardware, but the threads were still angled and off-center and it pissed me off every time I would take off the tank.

So today I JB-welded the hole closed and designed a 3D printed drill jig that I will use later this week to put the M6 threads back perfectly centered and perpendicular where they belong. gently caress you, PO.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Invalido posted:

Both my motos have clocks (don't know how to set it on the DRZ yet though, that UI is a bit weird)

Push the time button (second from the left) until the clock shows. Hold down the same button (second from the left) for about two seconds until the word clock is underscored. Push the time/trip button (fourth from the left) to switch which unit you adjust (hours, minutes, seconds). Use the plus/minus buttons to adjust the chosen unit (which will be blinking). Press the time button (second from left) to exit adjustment mode when done.

I had to do it so many times on my DRZ because of a bad battery connection that I still remember how, 14 years later. I had to look up the actual label of the buttons right now, but I remembered which ones to push as in second from the left, fourth from the left and so on.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just for laughs I ordered a knockoff of my Hepco & Becker handguard protectors from ali to see how they compare at like.. fifty bucks vs two hundo.

Let's just say that the garbage bag they came wrapped in was very appropriate. I mounted one to the bars on one side to do an A/B, and I could EASILY bend the metal structure by hand as if it were .. tin, or something. Like these would be a one-and-done in a driveway drop, IF they even protected from that.

I kind of want to do a quick comparison video when I get some free time.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Bro and I removed the steering damper and associated bracketry from the DRZ. We learned in the process there are bar risers installed. The original bits were in the box of parts but can't be used since the Renthal brand bar that sits on the bike appears too fat in the mid section. Also looked into the heated grips, which appear to work like they should - I had removed the fuse until I had time to check them out. They don't have any intelligence to switch off unless the alternator is charging like the Oxford ones i'm familiar with, and they only have off, low and high settings. Anyways they were wired to switched power and everything was neat enough to leave as is so I'll run them and see how they do in real life. Hopefully better than nothing which is probably good enough for this bike.

Also I set the clock to the second because I could. Thanks for the walkthrough on that procedure.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Congrats on having a seemingly decent PO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bar risers + lowering kit = should've just bought a cruiser