Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Slavvy posted:

Bar risers + lowering kit = should've just bought a cruiser
This checks out, my bonneville came with plumbing-sourced bar risers and a shorter shock the PO had been planning to install before he came to his senses and realized he just wanted a Suzuki Boulevard. He was texting me proud parent pics for a week or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One of the saddest bikes I've ever seen was an R1 with bar risers, lowering pegs, an extra screen and a full set of panniers

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

One of the saddest bikes I've ever seen was an R1 with bar risers, lowering pegs, an extra screen and a full set of panniers

So like a hacky MT10

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Mighta been cheaper to source some lower fairings for an fz1, gently caress

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

Mighta been cheaper to source some lower fairings for an fz1, gently caress

But then how would you brag to all the other uncles at the pub about your R1 that can do 200mph?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

This is so fuckin lame. Who gives a poo poo, just let people have the bike they want.

Nobody moans when someone buys a fast car that they don't drive it around at 99% all the time. It's fine, people like nice things.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's the taking a nice thing and wrecking it that sucks but you do you

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I woke up half an hour before the alarm today because I'm dumb like that and used the time to take a meandering DRZ ride to work. I think I just fell in love with this bike. Yeah it sucks at puttering around in traffic on asphalt, but the thing just begs to be hooned and riding it as much like an rear end in a top hat as I dare at this early stage makes it it obvious that it's a very fun bike. I've messed with pedal ergonomics several times and now I'm happy with them. It's obvious the bar is higher than it needs to be but I'm not sure it's enough of a problem that I need to spend money on a stock-like bar to remedy it immediately. I want to try this bike's originally intended ergos at some point though. Heated grips work but they're pretty weak on a chilly +3C morning. There's some hand guards in the parts box that I haven't looked at much less mounted but all the other stuff that came with the bike seems to be quality name brand parts so hopefully these are too. I'll give them a try for wind deflection until summer weather maybe.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

IMO handguards make or break cold weather riding for me. I was considering a pair for my RS as well but then I ended up just getting a pair of hippo hands.

Took the bike out for some low speed practice in a gravel lot. I actually haven't done any low speed practice since I had the Ninja and there's a bit of rust there. Bike took a nap a handful of times but hey, that's why it's got crash bars right?

What did you do in the future: I want to replace the oil pressure sensor on my RS today since it's weeping and I've had the part for weeks now, just been too lazy to go to the shed and actually do it. Honestly thinking about just taking the right side fairings off and laying it over on a towel to keep the oil from splurting out when I do the swap. Some guy on youtube demonstrated it on an RT and I guess there was more oil leakage than you'd expect for a non-pressurized system so.. eh..

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 24, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah hand guards are key. It doesn’t matter much if the grip heaters are roasting your palms, if the wind is freezing the tops of your hands.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It's the taking a nice thing and wrecking it that sucks but you do you

Sjaak Lucassen would like a word.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

cursedshitbox posted:

Sjaak Lucassen would like a word.

Dude went everywhere on an R1.

A selection:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Nobody moans when someone buys a fast car that they don't drive it around at 99% all the time.

yeah they do

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
My leather 2-piece suit has basically negative storage space, so got a little tank bag for wallet, phone, keys etc

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Pinny posted:

My leather 2-piece suit has basically negative storage space, so got a little tank bag for wallet, phone, keys etc

Even when I'm wearing armored jeans I like getting all the stuff out of my pockets, tank bags are very handy. How does yours attach? I have a magnetic one but my newer bikes all have plastic cowls over the tank so that doesn't work now. I think I had straps that came with the bag but can't find them, they may have been chucked after years of not using them.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Even when I'm wearing armored jeans I like getting all the stuff out of my pockets, tank bags are very handy. How does yours attach? I have a magnetic one but my newer bikes all have plastic cowls over the tank so that doesn't work now. I think I had straps that came with the bag but can't find them, they may have been chucked after years of not using them.

It attaches with 2 Tenax quick release fasteners. Came with replacement fairing bolts with the ball ends on them and the bag just clips on. The underside of the bag is kinda rubberized and grips the airbox cover. The bolts are like cheese though, I sheared one when fitting them with basically zero effort and had to find some replacements.

The fitting instructions that came with it were funny. There was a big rear end speed limit warning not to use it over 80mph! I fashioned up a lanyard to hook through the bars just incase it decides to unclip on me.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Pulled the valve cover off and recorded clearances, tomorrow is time to have fun with spreadsheets

Got almost all the necessary replacements done last night. Either I measured badly or some of the shims I picked up were out of spec, because when I rechecked clearances four valves were off. I managed to do some more horse trading and got the number down to only one more new shim needed, which goes in tonight. Then re-recheck clearances, button up the valve cover, and hopefully there's enough time left in the evening to do a carb sync.

Also I got a new exhaust hanger to replace the hackjob I made last year, but it's got different tab locations than the one the PO originally used, so I need to install a longer bolt to accommodate the spacer.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Pinny posted:

It attaches with 2 Tenax quick release fasteners. Came with replacement fairing bolts with the ball ends on them and the bag just clips on. The underside of the bag is kinda rubberized and grips the airbox cover. The bolts are like cheese though, I sheared one when fitting them with basically zero effort and had to find some replacements.

The fitting instructions that came with it were funny. There was a big rear end speed limit warning not to use it over 80mph! I fashioned up a lanyard to hook through the bars just incase it decides to unclip on me.
Ahh thanks, have not seen that system yet. The straps that came with my tank bag are nowhere to be found so will probably have to rig something up if I want to use it.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Yeah, it seems to work pretty well for this smaller bag on top of the tank. I probably wouldn't trust it to secure anything that needed to have any substantial weight in it, or to hold things vertically though.

The 80mph limit in the instructions was a worry. With the bike being a naked theres nothing stopping wind getting underneath the bag at speed. I think the little screen helps a little, I haven't notice it trying to lift up yet.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pinny posted:

It attaches with 2 Tenax quick release fasteners. Came with replacement fairing bolts with the ball ends on them and the bag just clips on.

That is an amazing idea for an attach system and I'm actually kind of surprised I hadn't seen it used until you posted about it.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
When this baby hits 80 miles per hour you’re going to lose some serious poo poo.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

All my luggage has had a 80mph limit and none of it has come off despite repeated trips to 100ish

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Every night these last couple of weeks I haven't got as much work done as I wanted, or even as much as I thought I was going to. I don't have my own garage so my parents let me stow the Rex at their place over the winter, and when I work on it (or my cars) there my time ends up being split between some combination of setup, takedown/cleanup, shooting the poo poo with Mom and Dad, having a meal, and actual mechanic work. Sometimes I'm tempted to get annoyed about it, but as we've all gotten older it's been easier to remind myself that it's not the turning wrenches I'm going to treasure one day.

Last night ended up being relatively trivial in terms of poo poo actually accomplished. I got the final shim replaced, re-rechecked all my clearances, found one more valve that was just over spec, changed that shim out for one I knew was 0.01mm thicker (because I finally remembered to bring my goddamn calipers), and buttoned up the valve cover. I was going to try starting the engine but I discovered that I'd lost the little standoff for my relocated horn bracket, and the horn ends up kind of buried in the middle of coolant hoses and plug wires when everything is back together so I just called it a night.

Then when I got home, my wife asked me if I was sure it hadn't fallen into the engine, and I'm like 95% sure it hadn't... But that's not good enough when it's the top end! So I'm gonna quickly pull the valve cover again this weekend just to be sure.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

FBS posted:

All my luggage has had a 80mph limit and none of it has come off despite repeated trips to 100ish

Yeah it’s almost certainly CYA and I wouldn’t worry about it unless you have the luggage straight up directly in the airstream somehow.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I replaced those cush drive rubber blocks in the rear wheel of my FZR. It makes such a huge difference. Very happy with it, it feels like a much better bike now :)

The original ones had some slight cracks along the corners/seams (it looks like each one is made from a block, with another layer stuck on top of it), but nothing close to catastrophic failure. Still, the difference is absolutely enormous. 10/10 can recommend.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I fixed up everything on the list for the Hawk and then the clutch cable snapped as I was rolling it back into its parking spot. :manning:

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Sagebrush posted:

I fixed up everything on the list for the Hawk and then the clutch cable snapped as I was rolling it back into its parking spot. :manning:

Thank your local deity that it did not happen while riding.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I feel like i should practice pushing the bike up to like 8km/h with running engine, jumping on and then kicking it into gear just in case it happens to me lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ordered a replacement clutch lever switch. Bike wouldn't start in gear and wouldn't change ride modes unless it was standing still, and I guess that's a common enough problem with the GS line. Cheap fix, if that's all it is.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Even better to just tie the two wires together. The downsides of having the switch outweigh the upsides IME.

It’s almost completely useless on my Honda which allows starting in neutral without clutch, since the false neutral on it was bad enough that I could never trust it anyway without clutching.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think it interplays with cruise control so I'd have to check. But yeah, I think I bypassed the clutch switch on the DRZ too.

e: Actually I just cancelled my order. Going to try to monkey with the switch since it checks out electrically (meter tested). There's a few YT vids with some "home remedies" that I'll check before I shell out a few bucks.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 29, 2024

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Another weekend of bike maintenance.
Washed all three dirt bikes and cleaned their air filters.
I took inventory of all the missing bolts. Seriously, each bike loses at least one bolt per ride. I didn't want to spend $25 again on a small box of bolts from my local dealership. Good bolts but only half of them are useful. So I went to a local store that I assumed had a decent hardware isle. No, gently caress you, the already very small stainless metric section had mostly empty bins. Caved and ordered exactly the bolts I need, in quantity, from Amazon. Should be here today and maybe by then the air filters are dry so I can oil/reinstall them and put all the plastics back on.

Also while lubing cables and articulation points, I noticed that the throttle hangs at wide open on the KX250. I thought it was the bent bark busters. Straightened that out in a vice, but throttle still stick at WOT position.
I took it apart, lubed both cables, cleaned and dried the throttle tube and put it back together. Seems fine now? Should this be lubed with something? It's just plastic riding on the handlebars

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Got my muffler bolted on. Took the valve cover back off and checked for debris, found none. Valve cover back on. Took it out onto the driveway, did a carb synch. Also discovered that the little piece of clear tube with a tiny inner diameter that was supplied with the Carbtune actually had a purpose, so before I ran the bike I spliced that sucker into the vacuum lines, and now the gauges are so much steadier and easy to read.

Read your manuals, kids.

Unfortunately, the timing cover gasket has a small leak now, so I need a new one of those so the bike doesn't piddle oil everywhere. It's snowing the next few days anyway.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
When I said I don't wash my bike because parts will fall off?

I wasn't kidding.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

2Fast2Nutricious posted:

Thank your local deity that it did not happen while riding.

Meh, I've had the clutch cable break while riding before and it wasn't that big a deal. Just gotta get it rolling in third gear and find the way home with no stoplights. :smugdog:

But yes, it's better that it snapped now. I knew something was going wrong because the lever was starting to make a creaking noise when I pulled it in. I'm going to look at the inside and see if there are any rough edges or burrs to file smooth before I install the new cable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am positive I’ve told this story before but when I rode Milwaukee to Chicago on the rv90 with some friends on their 50cc Yamaha Jogs, we made it all the way to Chicago, rode around downtown Chicago all day, and made it all the way back to south Milwaukee the next day before my buddy had the brilliant idea to utter the cursed phrase “I can’t believe nothing broke on the bikes” while we were stopped for lunch.

The literal first stop light after we left from lunch, my clutch cable snapped.

I wound up pulling the sheath off it, grabbing the cable near the engine with a pair of vice grips and just pulling up on the vice grips when I needed the clutch.

It was a nightmare balancing act of literally balancing, braking, managing the throttle and learning a whole new set of skills to manage the clutch in Milwaukee traffic.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK yeah I'm glad I cancelled the clutch switch order because just doing a quick clean of the actual switch and bending the prongs out a little did the trick. Going to make sure it's letting me change rider modes on the go tomorrow when I get more time, but since I can start it in gear now I presume we're all good.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've had a rear seat cover off ebay in my cellar for multiple years, the loving thing wouldn't ever fit even after I attacked it with the Dremel. I decided to take a Stanley knife to it for one last try and have managed to get it to work.

The OEM honda ones are apparently unobtainable.

I also picked up some R&G blanking plates for the rear pegs and stuck those on. They have tie down loops which is pretty nice.

The bike is looking pretty good imo. Going to get round to swapping the gold wheels on shortly.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

knox_harrington posted:

The bike is looking pretty good imo.
This is correct, you have a very pretty motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Ugh my VStrom s headlight is completely dead this morning. This has caused me the greatest grievance of all - having to take my car to work*

My 30 seconds of googling show this is a very common issue. I've looked it up before because occasionally I'll have one of the bulbs go dim, but that's resolved by reseating the bulb connector.
This time, both sides are out, no high beam, and no high beam indicator light. The blinkers on the same harnesses work fine, tail light works fine.
The Internet thinks the issue is related to Suzuki's brilliant idea to route the headlight current directly through the switch rather than a relay. But the switch only controls hi beams?
Also the PO left me loads of maintenance records and there was one of those relay upgrades in there to fix this specifically.

Guess I'll get to troubleshoot wiring issues with bonus PO fuckery.

*it's a nice comfortable ride and I'm thankful to have options available to me