Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kcer posted:

The thing is no loving better than it was before the new(?) clutch. It was awful on the ride home, so straight away I took the fairing off, opened up the clutch cover and checked the sprocket (both sprockets look great) the clutch mechanism and the push rod. They all look fine.

I've eliminated every possible option. It's not the drivetrain, it's not the clutch mechanism, it's not the cable, it's not the lever, it's not the push rod and it supposedly has a brand new clutch on. The only possible remaining choice is that he's replaced it and filled it with poo poo oil.

Maybe your gears are stripped to all hell or you have bent shift forks? If it was just 2nd gear that's doing this, I would guarantee that's what it is. loving Yamaha transmissions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I got some kneepads, and I bought one of those foam pad things that goes on handlebar for my XR200

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

gently caress

Today I rode about 100 miles, then left my house on the Sportster and the vac line came off the petcock. So I had to push the bike a long rear end way home. Finally figured it out after about an hour. DAMMIT

Also, I need a new brake adjusting screw thing that goes in the lever on my XR200. Can I buy that seperate or do I need a whole new brake lever? Probably why my front brakes so bad.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Z3n posted:

I guess that's in case you break down on the road? I'm confused. Wouldn't that mean that technically, every car parked on the side of a road at night must have it's parking lights on? Or is that only if you're parked in the road? Weird.

It's an old law from the horse and buggy days. Horses don't have headlights so they were always running into parked cars I guess. They didn't have street lights back then.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mechanism Eight posted:

But I digress. Today I tried to remove the glue left over by the previous owner's velcro tank bag fasteners. It's all hard and crusty yet quite resilient. I held a rag soaked in petrol against the glue which seems to have dried it out and I can slowly pick it off the tank with my fingernails. Any suggestions on a safe tool to use on the tank to speed this up? Or any safe chemicals to dissolve the glue?

Petrol etc will eat the finish. Get some Goo-Gone. Don't use a razor, you'll cut into the clearcoat. A plastic wedge works great.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Changed the oil on the Sporty. A little different than other bikes, but pretty easy. Start the bike and let it warm up, I let the thing run for about 6-7 minutes. Disconnected the oil drain hose that's on the bottom of the frame, in the back. It took at least ten minutes for all the oil to drain out. It wasn't even warm.

I then replaced the filter, and sprayed some brake cleaner on the engine to get the oil that leaked out of the filter off. Chrome oil filters are $11.99 compared to the black ones that are $5.99. Why don't they just make a chrome cover to stick over the black one? (They probably do...)

Then I dumped just under 3 quarts of Valvoline 20W-50 "Four-cycle Motorcycle Oil" into the oil tank. It was on sale at AutoZone for $2.99, I should have got a whole case. The owners manual says 3.6 quarts, but that's way off. Fired it back up, and enjoyed the sound of a much quieter motor. I wonder how long it was since the previous owner changed the oil. I'll leave the 1 quart of Harley-Davidson oil that they gave me with the bike on the shelf as decoration.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Discovered Sportsters don't have a neutral-safety switch, or mine's broken. Oops.

Checked my tire pressures, finally. Something like the low 20's for both, inflated to the proper 40 rear/36 front. Rides much better.

Also, jump-started my uncles CHOP-CHOP-CHOPPER with an HHR. Time to go battery shopping.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Found out you can wheelie a Harley. Passenger on the back, full-power 1-2 shift. Wheel came WAY up, I stayed on the gas and it came down nice and slow. Holy poo poo.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Braincloud posted:

Washed the GSX-R and put her on craigslist.

:(

I washed up my XR200R and stuck in on craigslist

Also, I took advantage of Hooker getting out of the motorcycle business, and bought a set of their Troublemaker pipes at a huge discount. Only 14 sets left!

I hope they're here by the weekend. I'll get videos of the stock exhaust, the Screamin' Eagle II setup I have on there right now, and lastly, the Hooker pipes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

UPS guy dropped my stuff off. I was able to take the stock exhaust off last night, just a couple bolts. Should have gotten a 'before' sound clip.

CHROME

LOUD

'DRAG PIPES'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Installed. Lost a bolt so I spent about an hour searching for it, then I just said gently caress it and went and bought new ones.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ordered some drag bars and some new grips. Hopefully I can get them on by next weekend.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Had to re-do them about 3 times because I kept messing up. Handlebars are such a simple swap but there's so many things to screw up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Started to take my 600RR apart. I have a leaking fork seal on the right side.

I have it on patio pricks and I'm holding the triple up by straps, that are on my garage rafters.

I haven't decided if I will just pull the forks out the bottom and take them to a shop, or actually try to replace the seals and refill them with oil myself. I haven't really done any work on motorcycles before.

It'll hold for the next couple days, shouldn't it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Dropped the forks out this morning. Bike is still hanging.

Instead of buying a fork compressor thing, I'm just going to take the forks to the dealer. lovely thing is the Yamaha dealer by my house won't do Honda forks, so I have to go to the Honda dealer that's a half hour away. Oh well, it's only $35

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

:psyboom:

They're dickfaces. They won't sell you a chain or even a master link if you don't tell them the model bike you own.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

600RR is all back together.

1) The fucker who had my bike before me almost stripped all the fairing bolts. USE THE RIGHT GODDAMN SIZE ALLEN WRENCH!

2) I put the forks on backwards first. Oops. I also need to invest in a stubby wrench or ratchet.

3) I need to go for a test ride now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

There's not really any 'alignment' of the forks, is there? I put them both in to the same height, the ends that the wheel/axle go in swivel, it should just pretty much roll straight, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/spark_plugs_catalog.html