Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Complete topend teardown cause I hate life want to have a bike that runs without pissing out it's coolant at a rather high pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

BradleyJamers posted:

Pulled out more oil from the bike, in total almost a whole quart too much. I know I won't be dealing with that place again if they can screw up putting the right amount of oil in a bike. Now I gotta eliminate the wonderful buzzing windscreen, too bad I snapped one of the plastic screws. Who uses plastic screws, really?

I feel that every motorcycle shop does this. They don't measure and they pour till it's in the middle of the sight glass. The worst I've done is like a cup over and I've never been under.

This must work on some kind of bike, cause everybody I know who has taken it to a shop say they have grossly overfilled it.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Did you check the forks for "nicks"? I ran panty hose over the surfaces and had a few, they can instantly ruin seals.

Also being a single guy buying pantyhose and beer was the most awkward I've ever felt at a CVS.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Marv Hushman posted:

Yeah, a GL cafe racer is just a terrible idea. I mean, look at this monstrosity for example. Can you imagine having to live with the nonstop ridicule?

I say finish your bike the way you want and call it Stop Making Sense. Then ride around wearing a motorcycle jacket that's about 10 sizes too big.

I would do terrible things to that bike while whispering sweet nothings in it's ear.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Yeah, I'd be having him figure out how he's going to pay for the damage he caused. He hit you in the rear, so even if it went to insurance it's >90% chance he's at total fault.

I'd leave it to him to decide insurance or pay out of pocket. There is no reason you should be paying for someone else making a mistake.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
The downside is you have to adjust them more often, the upside is it's so easy you don't mind. Assuming getting to them is not a total bitch.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Z3n posted:

X-rings are a form of o-ring ;) All x-rings are o-rings, but not all o-rings are x-rings and all of that :v:

ring ring ring ring ring ring ring BANANA PHONE

Doot doo da doo da doo.

Please kill me

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Yesterday I cleaned and inspected my carbs, as I thought my pilots were completely clogged after sitting for several months. Redid how my napolean(knockoffs?) bar-end mirrors connect as the way it was stock was pretty bad.

Today I synced my carbs and messed with the mixture, still high as it starts right up with no choke, and idles only a little rough at 2/3 idle rpm. rebuilt my rear brake caliper and that thing was full of crap, seals and boots were all fine though. Took me forever to get the pad spring and pads in too as I didn't note how it went in, and it is exactly opposite what the microfiche shows of course.

It idles beautifully at temp and in neutral revs fine, gonna lower my mixture tomorrow and see how she starts. Hopefully be able to print out my new insurance card so I can take her out.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Well...I didn't do anything weird, and they were pretty solid with crap. Maybe a pinhole of light through them. Mains were fine, float height was still fine, but I did find a bit of sediment in the drain of one of the bowls. New gas now obviously, couldn't see any rust in the tank, but I don't have a good mirror either.

Petcock screens are intact, but they don't really seem like they would stop much of anything. Put some seafoam in the tank just for good measure.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I've never had a problem bleeding brakes, but the only time I've had to do it I was servicing my caliper anyway. Just filled the reservoir, held the caliper above the cylinder and pumped till it spurted continuously, then open bleeder and check again once attached.

Edit: Are you ever really supposed to bleed your brakes other than a scenario where you drained it/ran outa fluid? I'm not seeing a whole lotta use for them.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Z3n posted:

Hate him a bit less because there are no corners in Florida!

Or mountains!

Same amount of retirees though....

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I don't even use a funnel, just that good :smugbert:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
It's an oil pressure light, it only came on when there was not enough oil for it to pick up any at all. Basically you had enough to be above the pickup, until you hit the brakes.

2 liters/1000 miles is pretty high. I would look for leaks first, assuming it's running fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I cleaned, set the float height, and balanced my carbs today.

Oh wait, no that's what I would have done. Instead I dropped one of the float needles in the only spot you can't get to with a magnet/grabber, under the starter motor :downs:. So instead I spent half a day deciding what to do, and then 15 minutes taking off the side cover and pulling the starter motor. Find out that the person who was in here last sealed it with a hand cut paper gasket, which was then of course solidly attached to the cover. I think that took me an hour and a half of soaking in soapy water and scraping to get that crap off. Used some RTV high temp and I may get the OEM rubber gasket if this gives me any trouble. Seriously, this whole thing would have been under 30 minutes if they used the right gasket, and I swear they super glued it or something as it only stuck to the cover side.

Tomorrow I get to adjust the float height and balance, with rags covering the gaps around the starter.