Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
Brushed the fresh snow off it, stood back and admired it a bit, spent $15 on shipping for a $1.99 cover from Hong Kong and revved the engine a bit to get the new bike giddyness out of my system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I didn't do any maintenance today, just did some riding as I'm still trying to feel out my new bike. I put almost 200 miles on it since I got it/filled it up for the first time and opened the tank today to see what appeared to be a fairly empty fuel quantity. When I filled it up I only took 3.4 gallons, and it holds 7.1, guess I need to get some better references as to how much I have. I headed off on a popular dirt road (the only one left unpaved on the island) so I could work on some dirt riding skills. On my way out I was doing anywhere from 10-40mph, on the return trip I had gained enough confidence to hit 60 on the dirt. I even took it up an ATV trail a ways without dropping it :woop: Here are some pics I took along the way.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

Gnomad posted:

I'm confused. i thought you were on kodiak, yet I see that phenomenom that we call
sunlight".
Or maybe it's southeastern, the same confusion exists.

If you get that stuff on you, in your soggy state, the consequences could be harmful. I suggest you dump a trough of cold water down your back as soon as possible!

:siren::siren: FREAK WEATHER HITS KODIAK! RESIDENTS REJOICING. :siren::siren:

I just changed the oil on the F650, I managed to only spill a few drops on the exhaust pipes, so it only smoked for a minute or so. I started carrying oil in an MSR fuel bottle. I gotta make some pannier racks for fuel and oil bottles.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I ordered a new front and rear TKC80 for the Funduro, new fork seals and steering head bearings should be here soon. Riding the bike I'd never know any of the stuff is worn out, but as soon as it stops I notice a worn rear tire, leaky fork seal and notchy steering head bearings. This weekend will be fun.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I got my bike out the other morning because both my trucks were having electrical trouble and were unable to get me to work. The roads had been dry for a week so I figured I'd brave the cold. Just as I went to leave a snow squall moved in and I called a friend for a ride. When we were headed out on the road we passed several cars and trucks in ditches and there was 3" of snow just south of me. So I got my bike out, put it right back away and almost died on it. I hate winter :(

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

Z3n posted:

Those are fine and all, but one day I'm going to build one of these crazy bastards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK9g0P1RsVg

Please research Power Pushovers before you get one. :ohdear: Thats what stopped me from getting a pusher type gyrocopter. Check out the Little Wing for a safer, albeit larger alternative.
http://www.littlewingautogyro.com/

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I mounted Rox risers to my R100GS. I rode 5500 miles with the stock configuration, which was obviously set up for a tall person with long arms because my short stubby arms were locked all the time. The risers brought them up about an inch and a half and I finished my trip with a lot more comfort.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I just spent a shitload of money and ordered these:

http://www.happy-trail.com/BMW-R100GS/Aluminum-Panniers-Teton-R100GS.aspx
I have them on my F650 and riding the R100 around town these past two days have made it feel useless since I can't haul anything. Anyone want to buy an old set of lovely BMW system cases before I take 'em out back and let mr. 12 gauge have them?

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
The set I have on my F650 are pretty much bulletproof. They survived the TAT, including a crash bad enough to throw the bike several feet. The bars are narrower than the boxes and the previous owner said he clipped a tree. There's a big dent but I doubt any other pannier would've survived. I'm excited to mount them to the GS so I can ride it to work.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
Today I was looking at ordering a new gear reduction starter that weighs half as much as the stock one with half the draw, a new upgraded diode board with massive heat sync and hard mounts, and a new 450 watt alternator for my new BMW R100GS. All told I was looking at almost $1000.

Just for shits and grins I decided to see what condition the old electric parts were in so I took the bike apart a little bit and I found a new gear reduction starter that weighs half as much as the stock one with half the draw, a new upgraded diode board with massive heat sync and hard mounts, and a new 450 watt alternator already in place. I already got a great loving deal on my bike, but finding out it had a grand worth of electrical upgrades just made my day. :woop: :woop: Now I can start designing my light rack to mount driving lights.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

kylej posted:

Yeah, and I had Amazon credit from trading in textbooks so it only cost me $130. I'm getting Darude's Sandstorm along with Muse and Radiohead's discography ready for my sick cyclin vidz

If you can find it, Dhol Dogs by Afro Celt Sound System is another amazing riding tune. I'm trying to get enough footage of myself riding to fit all the different parts of the song.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I dunno, this looks pretty awesome and it has Sandstorm in it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spt0JVUTqGc

Unfortunately my camera vibrates too much on my current mount, but it takes amazing sound. Also unfortunately mounting it up front only captures the sound of the front tire whining on the road. My other camera takes great on board video but all I get is wind noise.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I found the vacuum leak on my F650, so it doesn't surge anymore. I almost don't want to sell it now. Took the R100 out for a little local tour.

I started to install the new Renthal grips to replace the giant meatfist sized grips but they are kicking my rear end, I better go fight them some more.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
New Farkle day is the best Farkle day :woop:

My Happy Trail panniers just came in, rendering my F650 useless to me.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
They really are better than any boxes I have seen. I looked at the touratechs and they were poo poo, looked like a 5 year old made them. Jesses have crappy latches and are much more vulnerable to crash damage. Plus I like the canyon cut, I;d hate to have a pannier catch the road while I'm dragging pegs. :snoop: My F650 sustained a medium speed crash that threw the rider across the road. The box caught a tree and flung the bike, all it did was put a small dent in one box. The seal on the new box is much better than the old one, much tighter fit. My only complaint is the hardware they supplied was way too short, I couldn't even get a nut on without a washer so I had to buy my own, and the holes they pre drilled were kinda crappy. Minor stuff for an awesome box for not a lot of money though.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

sklnd posted:

I just did my first longish ride (350 miles) since installing the same model panniers on my klr650. Can't be happier with them. Happy Trail makes a good product.

...They are now covered in bugs :D

[edit] oh right pics

Click here for the full 1280x850 image.

You have the best plate #. Also how do you like the free float front disc? My buddy swears by his, but his KLR has 19" rims and looks like a monster supermoto, and he rides it as such even though he's 71 years old.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
While I waited for my oil seals to arrive so I can actually ride again, I decided I had enough of looking at dead bugs, grease, dead bird remains and all the other 67,000 miles of grime and crud that had accumulated on my bike over the past 20 years. I tore it down to a rolling chassis and engine in the driveway and then armed with a bottle of dish soap, an old tooth brush, a hose and a small tupperware tub I spent all afternoon making my old BMW look like this.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I ordered a later 4 pot Brembo caliper to replace the horrible 2 pot on my R100. All it needs is a little milling (which I have a machine for) and it'll be a drop in fit. No more horribly lovely brakes and scary death corners. :woop:

I also took my F650 for hopefully it's last ride, put a for sale sign on it and showed it to the first prospective buyer. also a :woop:

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I sold my F650 today!! :woop: Now I'm gonna start building my R100GS into the bike it has always wanted to be.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
After selling my F650 I decided my old bike needs better brakes. I took a four piston Brembo caliper from a modern BMW GS, flipped it around and modified it to fit my forks. Pretty nifty huh?

(yes I know my milling head wasn't completely square, but it works fine for my purposes)
The old lovely caliper for comparison:

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I ordered an Ohlins rear shock in a group buy for $200 off retail. I also got these pics taken by my buddies of my second day owning my bike during a shakedown run through the Utah desert at the start of my month long trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I got it for about $645. Selling another bike to fund upgrades to this one is a great way to justify high dollar parts.