Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Found out that after 5 months of neglect I can balance every time, which is better than I did before with a dead engine and stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Calculated how much money I have to spend on race gas so I can have just enough to make it for my first ama trials event of the season, and still make the first vermont trials event of the season. Ugh.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Bought a "new" one:

$300

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

jdonz posted:

Still going to get the v-max?

Got sold, still on the hunt.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Crashed the gently caress out of it :hellyeah:.
So while my leg is all swollen, I'm sending my WR radiators (as well as my girlfriends KDX radiators) out to be straightened and repaired. Radiator guards are in the mail.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I bought it a ton of stuff!

Flatland racing radiator guards/braces
Cycra probend handguards with triple tree mounts instead of bar mounts (!!!)
Complete new set of body plastic

My old handguard got slightly ruined due to our good buddy Hnasty tying my bike down with it at goonbrap, and it finally broke and in the process got some air in my brake line.

It'll be a whole new bike soon!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Radiator guards and new handguards that attach to my fork pinch mounts instead of on the bar. Ready for some enduro track action tomorrow.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Quote =! Edit.

Sorry.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

rifles posted:

remember your power bars, exhaustion is not fun

I do boiled eggs myself.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Got my ignition module today. Redline is now 7,200.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Zool posted:

I'm really hoping to find a KTM 450 enduro converted to SM with both sets of wheels (in my price range). Then I get all three in one! Spiffness keeps trying to convince me to get a Husky 610SM so I can get arrested with him.

Trials bike duh

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Yesterday:

XL1200S: New primary cover gasket and various gaskets for covers. Adjusted primary chain, changed primary fluid, tranny fluid, engine oil. Adjusted drive belt tension.

Scrambler 125: Found wiring problem and fixed, bike now runs like a champ, going on craigslist today.

Scorpa SY250: New caliper installed and bled.

Today:

WR250F: Put carb back in, hope everything is working well. Put on new grippy tank and shroud decals.

KDX200: Install rear brake resivour, carburetor, pipe, new sprockets and chain, new handlebar dampeners, new grips, left radiator. Flush cooling system, flush rear brake.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Packed up the WR250F for 4 hours on a MX/hare scramble track tomorrow. 45 minute laps!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

AncientTV posted:

Troubleshot (..troubleshooted?) my electrical system for upwards of 5 hours. Finally finished assembling my bike and the drat engine won't kick.

p.s. if anyone has worked on an ex500 before, PM me for the love of god :smith:

PM teknicolor, she knows all about this.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Dropped it off to its final resting place before I double its horsepower.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Grabbed my rocker covers, rocker boxes etc as well as my cam cover and primary cover. Powdercoaters tomorrow.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Zool posted:

Crashed it three times.

You know if you rode DIRT you could make that 9 times!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Zool posted:

Keep in mind I only rode for about 45 minutes :laugh:

You must get awfully sore. Pavement doesn't have much give.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Finally got it all back together after the top end job, god drat shim under bucket bullshit takes too long. Got a high compression piston in there now. First race this season march 28th!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

WR250F: Put it up on the stand so after I deal with my board licensing exam this weekend I can replace the steering head bearings, master cylinder seals, and linkage bearings.

KTM 200 XC-W: Got my skid plate and hand guards, assembled the little bits and will install tomorrow.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

Welcome to why I only ride bikes on the street with low HP :(

BUELL ARGUEMENT

THREAD NECROMANCY

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Bought some toys today:
This exhaust -

And this cover to match my black powdercoated cam cover -

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

VTNewb's Harley. Speaking of which, what the hell happened to that build anyways?

I started racing :awesome:

Actually the thing has some nice rubber on it and high pipes on now. It's kind of brutal in that it just spins up it's rear tire right off of idle very easily.

I have a huge pile of parts I just need to spend some time in the machine shop.

In my pile:

SST brake lines
Much larger front callipers
Flat track tail
Milled cam cover (half the weight!)
XRoads Rear Sets

Essentially I need to make up my mind about suspension before I do brakes. To make my mind up about suspension I need to figure out how to adapt a chain drive with a wider rear wheel. I got most of the above stuff for free so I'm also still tossing the vintage racer idea and putting 18" spokers on it with chain drive.

Incidentally stock harley parts are hilariously heavy. The XL1200S bar clamp weighs 3 lbs. It's amazing the weight savings you get when you go aftermarket. I need to weigh the bike because I bet now that the SCREAMIN EAGLE exhaust is gone, the footpegs and iron mounts are gone, the apes are gone, etc etc etc it's like 80 lbs lighter.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I finally fit my Chinese Pazzo knockoff clutch lever. The pivot hole was too big so I used part of a pen cap to fill the space. Also the pivot area wasn't wide enough so I used a bunch of washers to make it fit tighter. The brake lever fit just fine. At least I got a 75% refund on these so I'm not too upset. Not like I could've returned them after the brake lever got scraped up after my friend clipped me anyway. NGK Iridium spark plugs should come in today so I'll remove the fairings, clean the oil out of the air box from down and probably swap my other fairings back on so I can attempt to do some repairs to this set. My mom should be picking up a set of free race fairings for me today :)

Plan with Rev when VT mountain death ride is, I can just deal with it. As long as it isn't sunday.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Been a long time coming but the XL1200S finally runs right. It's great too, because it's frighteningly fast for what it is. I had to really mess with the back pressure on the pipes to get it right though.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

What'd you end up doing to it? Mods? Tuning?

The engine got XB-12 heads that are ported. To account for the more revs I wanted I got roller rockers, light weight push rods, and meaner springs.

I have more aggressive top end cams.

The cylinder intake was increased 6mm, with a similar increase in carb bore size (with a new carb).

The exhaust is a 2-2 high pipe configuration similar to the XR-750 of yesteryear. It has adjustable baffling to play with back pressure. The stock configuration, though pleasently dead quiet was not flowing well enough for the engine, so I had to fiddle a lot.

I have a bullshit screamin' eagle ignition that came with the stock XL1200S which gives me 7200 RPMs. It's like hitting a brick wall. My cams are designed for more RPM's. I need to install my new ignition to get up to 8500.

In the end, it's still quite quiet, and the butt dyno tells me it's faster than my aircooled (93) GSX-R 750, so I'm quite happy.

Keep in mind I have the S model so I have cartridge forks and piggy back gas shocks. I'm now a relative pro at fork and trip swaps but not sure I need to go there.

I have much bigger front brakes but I'm still unclear where I want to go style wise. I think I've dropped the desire to go 17" wheels for sportyness and attack the vintage racer look like this:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6144/5943025844_d3d2aab951_b.jpg

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

A 1992+ sportster is a great bike for someone who wants to mess around with riding configuration. The amount of aftermarket parts is enormous.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Ziploc posted:

Today, I figured out that the oil leak on my new-to-me Bandit 600 was because the threads in the oil drain plug are knackered.

So much for a nice long weekend of riding. :(

Get an oversized self tapping drain plug. Bring yours into NAPA. It'll be sub 5 bux. I've done this many times with 100% success.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Well, dropped the bike off at the suspension wizards. I really really need this tuned suspenion, never had a stock bike so stiff. It just deflects like mad when I hit a bump instead of soaking. I imagine the springs will be much less force when all said n done.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Before:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

New tank and shroud graphix cuz I shredded the old ones with a year of racing in knee braces.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

New pegs less slippy

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Odette posted:

These look like mini bear traps.

Yeah, they have replaceable teeth too, which is nice. I got fancy new boots and the old stock yamaha pegs weren't enough for the hard soles. my foot would slip off several times during a race, once causing a lowside at speed. Essentially, I was going around a left hand bermed bend in 3rd gear, and right in the middle my right foot, of which all my weight was on, slipped off.

These pegs are huge compared to the stockers, so we'll see how wonky riding is on Wednesday.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Chinese headlamp go!

Wiring loom goes in tonight, I was just waiting on a crimper. I got the cheapest lights possible and a small 12V RC battery to get me passed tech inspection in Brand X enduros.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Good idea or great idea?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Is that some sort of tubeless knobby? I don't understand.

Tubliss 2.0 system with trials tire. Runnin 6 PSI for this weekends race, which is of the greatest and best format:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Slavvy posted:

How do you like those tubliss thingies? I've had zero contact with them personally but everyone I know who's tried them really likes them.

They're not half as good as bib mousse, but as long as you don't puncture a tire in the line of duty you can run down to 4psi. Tire changes are much easier too.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Every race or 2:

Looks like I need some new sprockets too..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Spikes on