Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Rode in a monsoon. Oh, and wet snow. :canada:

Tomorrow, I'll be drilling out some stripped screws on the front brake reservoir on the CB450, bleeding the brakes, and then taking it for a test spin, with the new handlebars in place. This may or may not immediately precede purchasing a new clutch cable, so that it can reach out far enough on the new bars. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

8ender posted:

You may already know this

Yep, I have a nicely used length of clear vinyl hose that fits all of the brake bleeder valves on my bikes. Still good advice, though.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Don't worry, that 'sitting on the bike making vroom noises' doesn't ever get old. I still find myself doing it occasionally when wrenching away. :ssh:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Now just think - instead of it being ponderous and prone to tipping over, once you get it going, it will want to balance itself. :aaaaa:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

drat, that looks really nice in flat black - the shape of the bike seems to blend together a lot better. That belly pan looks pretty sinister.

Also, piggy! :neckbeard:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I don't know if it was a manufacturing defect or not, but the givi engine crash bars on my dad's weestrom were cracked on one side, apparently from a tipover in the po's garage. There wasn't any sliding/scuffing marks anywhere on the bike, including the bars, so I'm inclined to believe him. The bars just didn't really seem all that robust, especially compared to the cage on the R1150GS that replaced it.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Tindjin posted:

ETA: Just remembered there was a run of them for a month or so that had bad welds at the mounting tabs, he was probably just unlucky and got one. Givi replaced them all free of charge and even payed for repairs on a few bikes.

Ah, that sounds exactly like where the bar was broken. He never got the inclination to replace the crash guard before selling the bike off anyhow (and sold it for exactly what he paid for it :v: ).

Simkin
May 18, 2007

The roads were finally warm and dry enough to go out for the first serious backroad hooning of the season. That's not to say that I haven't been riding the same roads all winter long, but sweeping through a corner, knowing that there's not going to be a fuckoff giant patch of damp road, wet leaves, or frost, makes everything just a little more enjoyable.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Today I learned that yes, indeed, you can be too optimistic about the weather. I went for a ~150km round trip, and a bit over half of that was spent riding through a thunderstorm, in a textile jacket that leaks, textile pants that I'd cunningly removed the waterproof innner liner from (because hey, it's spring, that rain poo poo only happens in winter :smith: ), and my nice helmet with tinted visor. The only bright spot, was that I still have my heated grips installed, which definitely saved my sanity when temps started pushing below 5*C. Oh, and for good measure, I even got to ride through a brief snowfall. :krad:

tl, dr: gently caress Duncan, BC.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Went for a three hour long ride with my dad, punctuated with stops at pretty much every car dealership within 50km (he wants to buy a new Fusion :xd: ). Tried his bike out on the way back - for some reason the bar positioning on his R1150GS really hurt the hell out of my shoulders. :confused: It also felt like it had some wierd hesitation while at steady throttle - not sure if that's a looming problem, or just me being unfamiliar with the bike.

Yay for dads that ride! :neckbeard:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

MrZig posted:

What kind of bike do you normally ride? I've been bugging my dad to get a bike for the past few months and he seems somewhat keen on it, but it's not going to happen over night or anything. It would be pretty rad :cool:

I normally ride a 2002 Kawasaki ZR-7S. protip: if you want your dad to ride, buy him a motorcycle - that way he can't say no. :v:

Z3n: Do you have any links that I could check out for that? I don't mind trying to troubleshoot his bike - well, other than telling him that he needs to replace his squared off tyres. :xd:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Z3n posted:

Hrm, I missed this before. IIRC, you can swap the twin spark heads over, and that can help, but according to my friend, the best solution was just to remap/rejet. People are also mentioning on BMW forums that the bikes can start to do that when they need valves and the TB adjusted.

Probably won't be able to convince my dad he needs to swap heads anytime soon, but I will definitely do the valves, and look into the TB adjustment. Thanks.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

It's because BMW sells them cheap they're bikes for awesome old guys that haven't bought into the 'I'm old therefore I must buy a Harley' mentality.

Also, they're pretty fun to ride, for a gigantic bike, and are more comfortable than anything else that I've ridden, ever.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Realized that riding with my dad is an effective solution to the problem of going too fast on the highway. :v:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Congratulations for passing the first initiation rite. :hfive:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Ola posted:

:rodimus:

No longer content to taunt us with your amazing scenery and mountain roads, you've resorted to the fair haired Norwegian lasses. Curse you Ola!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Every time a hooligan is born, an :angel: gets its wings.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Huh. I hadn't actually thought of doing a calibrated alignment like that. Would you mind posting a bit more on the actual steps involved?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Man this light today was so messed up, turning green for only a drat second. Traffic is backed up and...oh wait I'm on my Husky (rides on sidewalk, across trailer park, jumps curb between trees into auto service center and on to open roads, all while slipping the clutch so to allow extra reving/noise-making).

Pics Video or it didn't happen

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Make a thread. :)

Can you take a clearer picture of your front axle? Usually you'll have a hole that runs through the axle and will allow you to push a cotter pin through and capture it with that wierd looking castle nut.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

^^ Did the same thing. Realized that my bike has felt like a freighter for the last few days, because I was sitting at 30/30, when it should be 36/42. :eng99:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I'm sure if you dumped the clutch in first at ~12k rpm, you might loop it.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Good to hear that it wasn't too messed up by the fall, and that you finally found out why it was weird about starting.

Contemplated cleaning the bike, and then remembered that silver bikes neeeever need cleaning, so I just chucked some more oil at the chain and rode it.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Chill_Bebop posted:

mmm... scrambler :love:

I don't know what it is, but any scrambler just scratches that reptillian part of my brain, telling me that I neeeeeed one. That's a drat fine looking bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I got my first taste of riding in heavy traffic. Stop and go sucks cocks.

Well, at least you're not riding an air-cooled bike in heavy traffic. :suicide: