Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
I got me and my neighbor out to work on it. Found out the carb is running less than ideal and a little leaky from the float bowl. We tinkered on the carb, the air/fuel screw and trimmed back the spark plug lead and actually got it running somewhat normally.

Next up- Bringing a carb back in the shop for service, going to my buddy's shop for a valve adjustment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
I started it up.

Still bogs in the midrange

Still a nightmare

still waiting to do a valve adjustment job

Wish I had friends who were into Bikes who lived near me to help out

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Bugdrvr posted:

Where in SD are you? I can come and help you out if you need. I've got enough hammers and duct tape to get it going I would imagine.
I've got the carbs off my bike today and will be cleaning them and doing my intake o-rings tomorrow but have no plans for Sunday.

I'm in Encinitas, but have no way of transporting my Bike. I just did my valve adjustment a few days ago but the intake valve is sitting around .28 whereas it should but .09 or so, and its stuck in place. The Exhaust Valve is fine and dandy but this Intake one is frozen, and I don't have a socket or something tiny enough to screw it down with.

I think I was a little angry when I posted before :P

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Bugdrvr posted:

I have the tool for the valve adjustment and stuff. I'm moving to a new apt. this week but I may be free this weekend, but if not definitely some time next week.
PM me if you want to set up something. I'll bring whatever tools we may need.

That may work out great, but are you sure you want to drive to Encinitas just to turn a valve screw 3/4 of a turn down? I mean it would be great but I hate to inconvenience people.

I cannot PM, so I'll add you to aim.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Went for a spin around the neighborhood.

Things I learned=
The Shifter is really loving close to the Peg. I have monster feet, sometimes this can be an issue.
The sidestand is seriously bent. I don't think I'm going to trust it anymore
Petcocks have a purpose, dummy
Hey this isnt first gear at all!
I got my first compliment. Some guy i pulled up alongside asked me if I built the bike myself. You know, because its such a chopper. His compliments made me feel great, though.
The Front tire is so old and cracked that it WILL kill me. Once I get some new front shock boots and start really riding it I'll put on the Dunlop D70 front I have stored for it.
drat that front brake has some life in it
Scramblers just sound louder than they ought to.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Continued Detail work, got rid of some old decals.

I finally bought an actual motorcycle Cover. I feel better, even if the thing is pretty thin and flimsy.

And I picked up some very cheapo Gloves.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Oil Puked from my Crankcase when I took off this morning. Apparently this is how it happens:

http://www.cmsnl.com/classic-honda-forum/350twinnew_f20/71cb350oilleak-help_t1486.html

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

The scrambler became not a scrambler

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
I had to use my new impact driver to get my crankcase cover screws off to finally get underneath. The front portion was fine, the back was pure sludge, with this little poo poo happening

I think this is what made all my oil leak out all at once. ughhhhh

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Put on the new oil seal, spread a little sealant over the edges, put a quart and a little more in to check for leaks and found none. Was happy for a little while until I realized the clutch was loose and nothing I did changed that. so I held a little temper tantrum and went to have a beer and play a violent video game and tell you all I despise old bikes about as much as I love them but i really hate them

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

re-installed the pipes, tighten all the screws, polished up the pipes a little, fine tuned the clutch adjustment nut, and wiped up some little minor leaks. Started up easy and nice, ran it a little, and got the clutch working just as it did. I took it out for a little spin and it was running great.

I feel like im entitled to a little ADV style food shots. Man, my Impala rear deck is my main workbench/dinner table/hangout spot.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Its PAINTIN TIME. Thin Primer coat before I packed it all up. Tomorrow: installing the new headlight unit, applying final paint coats.

I really should have made a thread about this, but its a little late to be thinking about making a thread about a bike that'll be up for sale once the pink slip comes in the mail.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Remounted the tank, with the shittiest paint job I've ever done, charged the battery and got the electric start back online.

Took a picture, made a CL, ADVrider, and local Bike forum sale ad, and proceeded to wait and wait for no calls or emails to come

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

This is what my ride did to ME today

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Z3n posted:

Weren't you trying to sell that? :ohdear:

Yup. just adjusted the clutch all perfect, too.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

I improvised a little extra pouch to keep some little stuff in, mostly my chain and lock

Added a sticker or 2

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
I was kind of getting tired of my little Moose Trail bag and having to keep multiple goggles, tool kit, water, bungees in it, and I always wanted to do this, so here it is.

It took maybe 10 minutes, most of which was spent looking for suitable length screws. Mount, mark, Drill, Drill more, install. It doesn't touch me unless i sit all the way back and even then I can sort of use it as a pseudo backrest.

This weekend I'll drill the can lid locking portion for an eye-bolt so I can lock it.

I'd like to turn a couple of these 40mm Cans in panniers, but that will take some creative mounting. Also, they weight a loving ton.

Its pretty common to see them in that use though, they are pretty much exactly the right size:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f379/Thatothersmaylive/Bikes/V-Strom%20ammo%20cans/P1010056.jpg

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Got the somewhat neglected DR350 out and replaced the Throttle Cable. Learned a Few things;

1. God I miss working on a thumper. Talk about dirt loving simple.
2. This bike has 15 years old trail dirt and dust EVERYWHERE
3. I should repaint the plastic, but I like all the trail scars.
4. That was really loving easy.

I only blasted up and down the street, but the throttle feels 100 times better. Lets hope it fixes the Sticky Rev issue it had been developing, but we'll see later today when I ride it.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Condensed CB200 and DR350 summaries:

CB= Completely flushed the carbs out, adjusted the valves all the wy around, reworked, adjusted and cleaned the points, replaced the plugs, refilled the battery, charged it, blew out the gritty, grimey tank filter, threw away the inline gas filters, Refilled it with fresh gas, added some seafoam, and she still wont run reliably. Stalls when going into gear.

Next up: checking compression, spark advancer, condensor, draining tank completely and flushing it out. Run, mighty honda, RUN!

Long Term: Once its running, add Clubmans, repaint tank, Pod filters, Rejet. The little Cafe CB200 concept lives on.

DR350= Blew Carb Cleaner and compressed air through the jets, focusing this time on the idle jet. Three pass through on this method and it was starting and idling reliably. I got jumpy and took it on a 5 mile ride and got home all right, took it out the next day and had a lovely idle again, sticky revs again, and dying on idle. Honestly, The carbs on stock DR350s are poorly designed and lovely. I'm probably going to buy a Mikuni TM33 or in the short term, just rejet this carb. I'd rather not even gently caress with this thing anymore as its pretty awful.

Next up: Non Vacuum petcock, non vacuum carb, buy a TM33, Adjust Valves, charge battery, and somehow get the stuck idle jet out of the stock carb. Hopefully I can buy a used pumper Carb and sell this stock carb, since the '90 Single Throttle cable models aren't too common.

Long term: Get out and ride the trails, rear end in a top hat

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Sold the nightmare, and actually sold it to one of the brew team people from my favorite local brewery.

Looking for an XR650 now. I'm ready for the pig.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Shipped the CDI off to Canada for a Re-soldering job. Hope it will be fixed: with my luck it wont change poo poo.

Ive already missed all the relatively empty early spring riding weather from this unmoving bike- despite having a nonexistent winter, almost nobody rides until April around here.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Just bought a new CDI for the 650L. Poor bike has been dead for a month or two now :(

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Replaced the CDI and rode it around for an hour. Seems to be working fine now.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Took a trip to a local produce farm, went through twisty rich bitch country and did the usual "dodging BMWs" deal. The Honda seems to be running fine now.

Also got a renewed parking permit for the thing, and I feel like a dummy pulling up with all the spring bike riders who I never ever saw in winter. I would have been riding all along if not for bike problems. I'm not like you, man. Its freaking San Diego, our Winters are better than some place's summers.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Rode the XR650L from Encinitas in North County San Diego up the 76 to see if I could find some Emu Farms/ Emu Stands to buy Eggs and Emu Jerky. Didn't find any, but the trip was still great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Man I never come in here anymore. I tend to ride my bike more than post in CA nowadays.

Changed the rear sprocket back to the factory one and got some new tires. Ive heard mixed things about the Kenda K270s, but so far I like them. Better than the previous bridgestones by far. My mechanic adjusted my clutch back to normal, wire wrapped my grips (I was gonna replace them anyway dude!) and monkeyed around a little free of charge. Cool guys. Bike is filthy but who cares, its a dual sport. Am I still the only XR650L owner in CA? Sometimes, when passing all the KLR riders, I feel like I am the only XR rider in the world :(