Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

Righto. In that case I'd better go back and measure more accurately. From what you know is there an absolute no-go threshold? Keeping in mind we're talking about a semi-feral B12 so a pretty long wheelbase compared to sportybikes.

I've only had the chance to ride it in the suburb and it doesn't feel particularly unstable, normally this is good enough for me but because I've never altered the geometry of a bike this drastically I want to make sure there won't be any surprises at higher speeds.

FWIW I've got forks about 20mm shorter than stock and a shock about 25mm longer.

That should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it. You'd notice the instability pretty loving quickly, bike doesn't wanna return to center but overshoots and tends to wobble its way down the road when you've got geometry dramatically off. It's a B12 so the geometry is pretty lazy from stock, just turn up the pace slowly when you start getting into more spirited riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

Sweet!

And now that we're here: shortening a nitrogen reservoir by like 10mm won't make an appreciable difference to shock operation right?

Why do you need to shorten it? I'd generally avoid futzing with stuff like that, but as long as you can keep the bladder that keeps the high pressure nitrogen intact it shouldn't be a problem.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dagen H posted:

1) drat, where you been, Son?

2) Nice Tempest/LeMans

3) I thought you ran #3?

Oh, you know, work. loving careers drawing all my time away from my quality posting.

Thanks!

We had a group of poo poo posters, needed to get on that #2 scene.

builds character posted:

1. I love TTR125s.

2. Do you run the 450 stock or with a JD tuner/vortex? Stock exhaust, etc? If stock, does it run hot?

TTR125s are pretty great. I run a XCF flash by Blais Racing, stock exhaust, less restrictive endcap. It didn't run super hot when it was stock, just liked to flame out on large throttle applications from idle. I need to fine tune the TPS to totally get rid of that, but it's almost gone now.

pokie posted:

Love this color.

It's okay I'll be ruining it soon.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

builds character posted:

Interesting. I have an ‘18 450 and Blaise won’t do an xcf or euro map anymore so I recently got a jd tuner because it’d been running crazy hot (particularly on technical trails) and just generally flaming out more than I thought was appropriate. My understanding, fwiw, is that you can’t tune via tps at all anymore on 17+ models. Any other mods you’ve done that you’d recommend?

From what I've seen, changing the TPS on the later models has less of an overall adjustment, and if you've got the JD tuner, that should give you all the flexibility you need to get the fueling fixed, so that just leaves you with very fine tuning on the TPS to get the off idle response just right (zero issues once it's actually in the revs, just a "clutch in fist full of throttle from idle while doing trials poo poo" leads to almost 100% flame out).

There's no temp gauge on mine, so I'd struggle to tell you if it's running hot or not.

Other mods I'd recommend, in order of cost: Nice handguards, Tubliss, Scotts Damper. If i hadn't accidentally hosed up my spark arrestor when removing the screen, I would have retained the stock pipe.

Oh, and pro-taper tiedowns - https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Taper-Tie-Downs-BLACK/dp/B009XIP942

Yeah, they're $31 a set. I've got 6 sets cause literally gently caress using any other form of tie down anywhere ever. They're perfection and you should never buy anything else.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

DST coming and I'm over the stock piece of poo poo ktm headlight. designed and 3d printed a housing for a pair of baja designs squadron leds. sport beam driving for low, pro driving beam for high. the highbeam switch was modified for both circuits to be on months ago. It retains the factory aiming system as well.

fully sik, m8

I welded up some brackets for a buddy's van, but goddamn, I'm starting to have bad thoughts about a 790 Duke.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How the gently caress are y'all bending riveters? I've used the same lovely STOCKTON TOOL one for like, a decade (identical to the Aliexpress one). I do grind the heads off before I push them through but mostly cause I'm not an rear end in a top hat and it's like 30 seconds with an angle grinder. Beyond that, it's press on the side plate, run the rivet spreader attachment until it's just barely flush with the head of the rivet and you're done. I've even once accidentally split the top of the rivet cause I overdid it with the tool, still never hosed up the riveter or bent the tool itself.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy you talk about Honda being good but have you ever worked on a Honda RC51? I've never worked on a Honda where there wasn't some insanely dumb loving bullshit required. You've got these from day one doing poo poo like the CX500/650 stators.

The problem with Honda is that they have their engine folks do the engine work, and then the frame people do the frame work and then suddenly you have the Honda 929, where they put a frame crossbar over the spark plugs, or the VFR800 where the common technique to deal with the valve adjustment is "remove engine, throw in trash, purchase ebay engine, install", because the book time for the VTEC models is something staggeringly dumb. RIP to the goon who's missing out on a 701, those motors are fine and the bikes are rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

They do lots of dumb insane bullshit, especially during their psychedelic 90's peak, but it's nowhere near KTM/BMW levels and they hardly ever break by comparison.

Try doing the plugs on a zx12 :allears:

I don't know where the viffer valve thing comes from, I've done it on vtec and not vtec models and the hardest part was taking off all the bodywork. I will say Honda fairings are the absolute worst and seemingly designed to be difficult to take apart.

Admittedly I've only worked on the S1000XR, but the R motor platform isn't bad, and the Boxers seem okay for most stuff except gently caress doing a clutch ever. Or final drives. But shaft drives are banned from the eyes of god so whatever.

I'm pretty curious though about what you don't like about KTMs - in all the ones I've worked on, they've definitely got some weird poo poo (why so many filters? DURPKAR) and the early LC4 oil change procedure is absurd due to the dry sump setup, but everything 1190/later architecture seems fine and the 950/990 motors are stout as poo poo with a couple of known maintenance items. Besides that, their dirtbikes are amazing to work on because there's an expectation you have to fix it on the side of the desert unaided, and I've never been unhappy about working on any of the 690s.