Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bucephalus posted:

They pried him out, he said "Where's my wife", and dropped dead. He also had a broken neck. RIP, Little Kenny.

Reminds me of a friend of a friend who crashed while vintage racing...his last words were "get this loving bike off me", and then he died :(

RIP to your friend.

quote:

Were you in Hollister? (Please tell me someone gets this.)

Reference to the Hollister bike rallys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sphyx posted:

After my bike returned from a month stay in the shop with its tail/lights/reflectors replaced (low-speed rearend accidents, cool!), I discovered that all of the lights save the back signals no longer work. After 10 minutes of troubleshooting: the fuse is fine but the brake light was unplugged... which reseating fixed nothing. Unfortunately I know nothing of wiring. Back to the shop again ugh. :(

If you're so inclined, stuff like that can usually be tracked down fairly easily with a multimeter and some time. Electrical stuff is simple, but can be time consuming to check out. I'll walk you through the basics if you want to give it a shot on your own :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

Sunday early morning: Still cleaning and inspecting carb internals, find some gunk near the pilot adjusters, clean all of that and get everything balanced correctly. Shatter drinking glass under garage door in my carb cleaner induced haze.

Editted for :madmax: clarity.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Duuk posted:

5.) I have a tendency to make big posts and there's more stuff I intend to do to the bike. Nothing crazy interesting like a hardtail conversion or a turbocharger, mostly basic maintenance. Should I just make a thread or keep it in here?

Ola covered everything else, just wanted to add that you should make a thread.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

shaitan posted:

Which was exactly what he said he did, got it up to about 13k and let the clutch go, not sure if he was moving or not.

I popped the clutch at about 7k while rolling on my 250 after jamming it down into first while freaking out about starting in second. It wheelied about 3 inches, and let me tell you, I never thought you could suck so much foam up your rear end with a 3 inch wheelie. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Trintintin posted:

I got a nice 4-5 inch power wheelie every now and then out of the 500 if I really really launched it from a stop. But to wheelie that thing at all, when I tried a few times, you really really had to dump the clutch.

That said, what posses someone to drop the clutch at 12k rpm?

Fear. They're freaked out because they don't know what's going on, they've pull the clutch in but the engine is pounding away, and they just let go. That's how my friend wheelied the CB200.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fantastipotamus posted:

Today I fixed a long-standing issue with the carb on my KLR. I shimmed the needle jet and adjusted the pilot mixture screw as well, so now it rides and pulls much better than it used to.

I also popped open the brake fluid reservoir on the handlebars to find..... none! It was pretty damned empty, just a bit around the corners. I bought some, and filled it up, good times. I had heard the brakes on the KLR were a little spongy, but that was getting ridiculous. I think I may still do stainless steel line on the front to augment a horrible front brake.

You probably need to flush and bleed the system. The brakes on the KLRs I've ridden have always been decent as long as the system was in good shape. And SS lines aren't going to make it any better if the lever is mushy. It'll reduce flex and improve initial bite, but it's not going to do much of anything if there's air in the system. I've discovered that most people have never changed their brake fluid and as a result, when they change their lines and are forced to flush the fluid they're amazed at the difference it makes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fantastipotamus posted:

Yeah, though bleeding brakes scares me a bit. The old fluid is definitely gross though, it's rust colored (I could see it swirling around in the reservoir) which I can't imagine is good.

Realistically, the KLR needs (in no particular order)
1) brake fluid flush/change
2) oil change
3) coolant flush/change
4) replace chain/sprockets

I'm probably going to go up a tooth in the front to stretch it out just a little more for road riding. I've actually heard of people keeping different front sprockets for road/trail riding (specific sizes that don't require a chain change though). I don't have anything to hold the bike up apart from the kickstand though, so I may pay my local bike mechanic to do that.

It's a dirtbike with a cradle frame, so you could toss it up on just about anything. I wouldn't try doing the front sprocket without some form of impact wrench, though. It's a huge pain in the rear end otherwise. My 80$ or so electric one (Kawasaki Heavy Industries Represent!) is fantastic for anything bike related.

Gearing changes can really change a bike's character. Lotta fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fantastipotamus posted:

You don't think I could get it off with a half-inch drive socket wrench?

Torque on those is supposed to be 72 foot pounds. You could do it with a big cheater bar, but it's way, way easier to break it loose with an impact, especially considering that they have a bit of a tendency to be sticky, and you've got to have something to lock the rear wheel in place. I've used everything from the rear brake to a piece of wood jammed through the wheel (on something without spokes), to putting the bike nose into a wall.

It's really, really handy to have an impact wrench around if you don't have one. Well worth the money for the frustration and split knuckles it'll save you. The electric ones may fall short here and there on cars for really big stuff, or require some time to work something off, but on a bike they're perfect.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Took it to the drags. Half a second off my previous best.

Also, Civics! :argh: People doing minute long burnouts! :argh: People with open diffs doing burnouts! :argh:

JUST HURRY UP AND DO YOUR loving RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What exactly is the process for drag racing a motorcycle? How long do you burnout? What tires do you use? Do you drop your pressures down?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

It isn't much different than a car. You shouldn't do any more of a burnout than what is required to clean your tire and get it up to temp. The entire reason you pay a lot of money for performance tires is their ability to shed heat and a long burnout just wastes rubber; in extreme cases a long burnout just makes the tire really greasy. You can use specialty drag tires if you want, but you're probably not good enough to out drive your tires; better tires will just mask your inability to properly launch. There are competing schools of thought on dropping tire pressure on a street tire. I'm a member of the "a little bit helps" camp, just remember that you aren't on a wrinkle wall slick and your stiff sidewalls aren't going to flex much so trading off top end stability for a marginal increase in starting line traction on a machine that makes all its ET at the top end is a poor trade.

Well, I've never dragged raced a bike, besides at the start of a race, and that's not really the same. I'd like to refine my technique. It's pretty good at the moment, I seem to be able to pull fairly consistant launches from my days of stoplight GP and racing cars off the line, but I'd like some concrete data that'd let me figure out where I can improve. I'd be running the DOT slicks that I typically use on the track. Wear on the tires isn't a concern as I've got plenty of take offs, and the center on those never wears out before they're toast anyways. Sadly, I don't think there are any drag strips in Santa Barbara :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Swapped out the leaking CCT on my SV. What a loving pain in the rear end. gently caress CCTs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

Sold it!

What are you going to buy next? Are you finally gonna restore the 2smoker? :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Installed the engine in the ZX6R. Still dont' have the top end or the covers installed, but it's enough to get it sorted with the CHP. Hopefully I'll get a plate this week.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I went hogwild and painted my wheels, chainguard, swingarm and rearsets. Its amazing how much a coat of paint can transform a lovely looking bike to something nice.

Of course I was a dumbass and didn't photograph it right before so I cant do a before/after comparison anymore. :downs:

Well at least post up some after pics. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hooray, the obligitory boot shot and switchbacks! :neckbeard:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

I got my first taste of riding in heavy traffic. Stop and go sucks cocks.

This is why California rules. :smug:

Sucks for a lot of other reasons, but lane sharing? Oh man, it's fantastic.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What's your location? I know of a good welder but he's in Merced, CA.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

Ok, explicate.

If I'm guessing the bike right, older Ducati frames are a little...questionable sometimes. That looks like one of the older air cooled bikes, and I'm not super surprised that it cracked the frame if he was playing rough with it. Looking forward to the story though :xd:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

Cleaned and lubed mah chain

Also replaced my jankity rear end clutch lever. Only now the new one wobbles up and down a little bit. I guess the old one did too, but its still annoying

That'll happen, because when you crash a bike and damage a lever, it almost always tweaks the clutch perch slightly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Weren't you trying to sell that? :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mercator posted:

:ssh: This is how you should dismount. Kickstand out after you've dismounted.

Why? I usually put the kickstand down, verify that it's in place by jamming my foot against it, and then put the bike on the stand and swing my leg off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Beat on a bearing, destroyed a screwdriver, and finally went to the store to pick up a new torch and a drift punch. :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Correctly installed bearing, with the right tools, and prepped the bike for next week's trackdays at Thill.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Not my bike, but fixed a friend's bike. Looked at the trackbike in the garage and started planning to tear it down and get it cleaned up, repaired, and repainted. :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Raven457 posted:

http://www.delkevic.us/?section=shop&product=universal_headlights

Me and another guy at the GSR forums got one, we're both pretty happy with it. For 60$ it's kinda hard to beat.

From everything I've seen, Delkevic stuff is the absolute best that you're going to see when it comes to chinese knockoff stuff, and when you can get complete fairing sets for 300$, it's sort of hard to beat.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

jdonz posted:

Have you used on as a sysadmin? I think they loving suck. After 15 years of typing on a normal keyboard I couldn't get the hang of the moved keys on the smaller netbook keyboards. I used a Dell Mini 9 and hated it.

I'm a linux fag so I actually use the keyboard :ohdear:

I can't use netbooks either. I need a full size keyboard of some sort. When I have to transport a laptop it's almost always in a backpack...I'm too paranoid about the vibrations and poo poo. I probably don't need to be, but still.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Traded it for awhile to OrangeFurious for his Thruxton. :w00t:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Went for a quick ride this weekend in between rain storms. What was supposed to be a 30 minute or so ride to keep fluids moving and keep carbs from gunking up turned into 2 hours of complete zen. I was feeling like the bike and I were one so I hit up a local twisty road and carved it up for a bit.

There's nothing quite like the feeling of thinking your way through a corner and the bike just does it; a close second is taking a corner at twice the speed you used to think was "fast". I received some humble pie from a nice gentleman wearing full leathers on his R1 as he passed me on the outside of a really long downhill right hander like I was sitting still. Up to that point I thought I was Ben Spies or some poo poo. :blush:

Wait until your first trackday. I remember that I thought I was hot poo poo on my first or second day, blasting along, thinking "Goddamn, I am hauling me some rear end right now!", only to be passed on the outside by a control rider with one hand off the bars so that he could point out to me exactly how far off the line I was :xd:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

I cracked the front brake reservoir, and snapped off it's mount during a low side yesterday. I repaired it in about 15 minutes with rtv, electrical tape, zip ties, saftey wire, and a liberal application of hope.

In an emergency, as long as the remaining tubing pointed up, I wouldn't have a problem with just running a capped tube filled with brake fluid. :haw:

I already do it on the rear brake on my trackbike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soggywaffles posted:

It technically was not today, but I recently put one of these on:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

It's kind of silly, and I'm on the fence about whether to keep it. Looks tacky, almost never gets used, and can change the throttle feel even when not in use.

Also over the weekend I put the pillion pad and sissy bar back on. Bled the front brake since it was getting mushy and the fluid looked like the urine of someone stabbed in the kidney. Night and day difference but seemed to get a little worse again after only about a hundred miles so I may completely flush it soon.

No possibility of rotating it all the way downwards? I've got a few of those floating around waiting to be installed on my bikes. 3 weeks until I move to a place with a garage again :woop:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soggywaffles posted:

Unfortunately not, at least on my bike. The clamp that goes between the switch housing and brake doesn't fit between the bar and throttle cables when rotated all the way down. I had to put it that high up to not interfere with the kill switch. So it's a little awkward. But at least I can shake out my arm or reach something I can't with my left arm without losing speed.

Ahh, I see. Did you cut out or shave down the grip at all? I was planning on doing that when I installed mine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soggywaffles posted:

Nope. Just had to nudge the brake a little further down the bar. I did have to cut the rubber spacer to fit the collar over my grip though. With a thinner grip you wouldn't even have to do that.

I was just wondering cause you mentioned you could feel it even with it off. I'd imagine that if you shaved down the throttle grip a little you could probably adjust it to fix that. Most of the ones I've seen installed have ended up being between the kill switch and the starter...I'll have to look closely at mine when I get around to installing it :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Orange Someone posted:

My friend took his bike into the garage to get new tyres put on. His old front one was some crappy chinese one with a really old tread pattern. Still had life in it, but it would never get warm, and after 'it slipped' on a roundabout, he's been really wary of it over the past week.

I reckon it's all mental, but since 99% of bike riding is in your head, and the tyres need replacing anyway, I let him go ahead and get them done, hopefully he'll regain his confidence again.

The rear was a 2 or 3 year old BT45 that actually shows signs of cracking, so both were done.

I got a text at work saying that the garage had told him he needed new chain, sprocket and fork seals. That sounded familiar, seeing as my bike failed the MOT for those not 6 months ago. £300 for the garage to do it, but my friend says the internet says it can be done by us for under £200.

I need to get him an account here. My bike's really not having enough drama.

Actually, an old tire can still look fine but be utterly toasted from heat cycles or just age.

Check out the tire thread if you want to read more on tires/aging/etc.

As to my bikes...today they got pushed around in the storage unit in prep for moving to a new place with a 2 car garage! :woop:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

Jealous. It only rained for 2 days straight down here and I'm already tired of dealing with a wet cover.

Well you can always come up if you want to work on your bike in a garage :)

Can't do much about the rain, but it's southern california, so we've got our 2 days for the year and it's back to summer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Is California heaven?

If in heaven housing is too expensive, everyone's sticking their nose in places where it doesn't belong, you've got constant wars between the moral brigade and the hippie tardbuckets, there's no budget, and the DMV/CARB are constantly trying to gently caress you, then...yeah, it's heaven.

You get some bad with the good :)

As to what I did on my bikes...still nothing. I should have put the battery tender on the racebike, but I didn't. Still getting things organized to move.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

The world is a set of scales you see. For riding too. If you can lane split and the weather is nice, you have to pay a lot of taxes. This is California. If you can lane split and the weather isn't nice, you have to pay a lot of taxes. This is Norway.

:xd:

Never change, haha.

Me, I prefer the weather up the coast about 4 hours...Santa Cruz has fog, a little more rain, and is generally cooler than Santa Barbara. For me, that's paradise. Combine that with long summers and gorgeous scenery and I'm sold. Plus it's only a little ways from the greater bay area...I'll go back there one day :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The brembos on my racebike do that too. It's the pad slapping up against something as you apply pressure to the lever. I'm not sure what it is about the brakes that causes that, but I've never had a problem with it in about 2000 miles of track riding and racing. I think there's something about the design of the rotors/pads/calipers that causes them to either retract a little further so they slap against the rotor when you apply pressure or there's a small amount of play in the pad that causes that clacking noise. Mine will do it going forward or backwards and i can make it go away by being very gentle with the lever and make it worse by tapping it instead of smoothly applying it.

Also you have had the worst goddamn luck with your Hypermotard.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Holy poo poo man, post the whole story with pics (tagged appropriately, obviously :xd:) in the crash thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well, my thread on my rebuild has disappeared into the abyss that is the archives, but now that I have a garage, I finally got the ZX6R back up and running. It's been sitting sans valve cover gasket for about 2 months now, and yesterday and the day before I ran the wiring harness, installed the ECU/throttle bodies/airbox, cleaned things up, and got it to a state where it'd actually start.

Now I just need an undertail, a battery, a replacement fairing stay, plastics, and a right side rearset and it'll be all ready to go.

Sorry for the poo poo pictures:

Proud owner of the only ZX6R in the nation with airbrakes, right here. (Tank is all bent up from PO's crash). I'll go apply for a temp plate at the DMV once the plastics show up :haw: