Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Not today, but a couple days ago.

Painted the cam belt covers from crappy gray to bitchin' gun metal. Also, sand blasted the chrome trim ring on the headlight and then painted it flat black to match the rest of the housing.

Next weeks project is new chain and sprockets.

Note: Not my dirty garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Decided to change my chain and sprockets.

Cut the old chain with a dremel, and am going to make my own riveter out of a c-clamp and a pipe flare tool to put the new one on.

gently caress that was big.

slowspeedracer fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 7, 2009

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Success

I ended up using the clip style master link instead of making my own riveter but I am going to ride to the shop tomorrow and have them rivet the link for me. Even though the 620 Monster does not put out a lot of power, I would feel better about having the rivet link over the clip style.
content.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

I was not crazy about using a clip style link so i took it around the block first, checked it. Did a mile, checked it. Rode to a friends house, checked it. Did 110 miles through twisty roads in south eastern Mi, checked it and my chain is still on.

I am picking up a spare clip link to add to my under seat storage and having my rear tire replaced this week. When I get it replaced I am going to have them put the rivet link on. Even though i beat up on it pretty good over the weekend, i would rather have the piece of mind.

Next project is replace cam belts and check valve clearances probably next weekend... Then no more over priced Ducati maintenance for 6000 miles

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Got a call from my Duc riding buddy and he asked me if I moved his bike last night. In my college days, I probably would have, but not now.

As it turns out, someone tried to steal it and moved it a couple buildings down and tore out the ignition. Since he is going to the dealership, said he should pick me up a new back tire i should have taken care of last week when i did chain and sprockets.

As luck would have it, he spotted a wheel and tire combo on craigslist.

Monster Wheel w/ Pirelli Diablo tire, tire looks brand new, wheel has no nicks/scratches and the sprocket shows no wear.

$75 for the wheel and tire combo, SOLD

Picked it up last night, and will install tonight. I am leaving the ducati logo in the rim, but not sure if I am going to do the wheel tape on the front, or remove the wheel tape from the back to make them uniform.

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Got rid of the Mickey Mouse mirrors on my Monster and replaced them with some ebay bar end mirrors.

This weekends projects are the 12,000 mile service. Adjust valves, change cam belts, change oil. Other: Remove wheel tape so they match...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Changed the oil on my Ducati Monster 620. The fine engineers at Ducati run the exhaust pretty much directly under the drain plug and oil filter. Besides burning my hand a bit, I smell like burned oil still from my ride in. Oil looked great after 5k miles, and there was very little metal on the magnet from the drain plug. Next up is to repair my side view mirror delete from forgetting i left my lock on the rotor and tried to ride away. Good thing was that I pulled it out of the garage across the grass and dumped it in the grass rather than the driveway.

Next up is check valves then the 12k mile service is complete.