Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Increased the number on the odometer by about 725

things:
Squared off the rear tire pretty good. :|
Mostly successfully dodged a ton of rain in West Texas by staying in eastern NM until I ran out of NM to stay in.
A can of fix-a-flat exploded in my right pannier for unknown reasons. Investigation and cleanup will happen tomorrow.
Went through some pretty awesome standing water in a flooded town in NM. I'm totally ADV.

All in all a good day.

[edit] can exploded for now-known reasons. It settled next to the bolt holding the aluminum box to its frame. It then proceeded to rotate against that removing part of the can little by little until a good bump probably punctured it.

sklnd fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
The DMV is the worst place in the world. I went a while back to get a CO drivers license, and it took four hours for them to handle ~50 people.

Changed the oil in the KLR today. I even got all fancy and used a new crush washer instead of reusing the old one like an idiot. Probably should have done more work, but I was feelin lazy so I went back inside.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Spec on the KLR is 50-65mm.

Spec on a, say, ninja 250 is 35-45mm. That's a world of difference. RIP countershaft seal.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Put a K-9 fork brace on the KLR today, then took it for a quick ride to test it out. Didn't notice much difference at low speeds. The bike was really steady when I took it up to about 75 though. I actually went a little faster than I intended because it didn't feel like I was going that fast. It also felt pretty stable doing a little bit of cornering.

I'll have a better ride report in the KLR650 thread once I take the bike out in the mountains for a few hours on Saturday.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Armacham posted:

Don't blame me!

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Managed to strip not one but TWO allen head bolts messing with a new rear luggage rack for the KLR. Not sure how I pulled that off, but I also bent one of the drat bolts trying to finish backing it out with some vicegrips, and ended up drilling the head off and removing it by the threads. I have no idea what I did to the bolt hole to cause it to be so drat hard to remove (didn't even loctite it in true KLR fashion). The top 3 threads or so are hosed, so I'm debating on retapping it a size up or doing without. Gonna make a hardware store run tomorrow to get bolts that arent made of cheese.

Also I need to figure out what to do about my old 12V jack that was bolted to the bottom of the old rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
There's a lot to be said for steel braided brake lines and fresh DOT4

A whole lot.