Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I am notoriously bad with directions and understanding where I am or came from in general. Before I got my bike I would've told you there are no good roads in New Jersey. However, since I got it I've been doing more exploring then ever, mostly consisting of getting completely lost and eventually finding my way back home with a new understanding of an area I knew nothing about. I actually have a good hour long route that takes me down some awesome twisty roads that would've gotten me lost a few months ago, and yesterday I followed a friend with a 636 (I should say tried to follow) around south Jersey, finding even more awesome roads. We cruised to a Stewarts, only to find they are closed on sunday, so we kept going until we came across a tavern with an outside deck. Ate wings and a burger out on it, then shot back to a friends house for the first barbecue of the summer. Finally, before going home, I took a quick run down another road with my tinted visor up and my eyes watering since it was 11pm by then.

Also converted my bike from winter mode:

to summer mode:

Note to self: No, levers are not a ricer mod done purely for looks, they are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Nothing in reality, but I took it for a ride in a dream I had. I was doing wheelies real good and ended up at a church I think, where some guy came up to my parked bike and was saying how cool this and that thing looked. He started fiddling with it and before I knew it he took the whole bike apart down to the frame right in the parking lot, leaving parts and bolts scattered in the grass. I was pretty pissed and woke up sweating.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Today I siphoned the av gas out of the Husky and replaced with 93 cause I wasn't sure about mixing the two. AV gas has an after-taste that lingers a bit longer than regular. Then I took it for a short ride and ended up pulling a wheelie from a dead stop right on my own street. Also made an appointment to have it looked over at a dealer in a week.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I took my husky out a few times this week despite not getting to the DMV yet. Oh...I'll be conservative (does first and second wheelie ever). I wasn't even trying to either, just trying to accelerate from a stop with decent speed. The combo of power, no weight and a very weird hydraulic clutch with literally no feel to it just makes it light and loose as hell. Not riding it today and hitting the DMV first thing tomorrow morning. First service and inspection is a week later.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Dropped off my Husky at the dealer yesterday and picked it up today. I get the first service done when I buy a bike just so I know everything is well with it. Now I'm all ready to rip with it and it is supposed to rain practically all week. Also these things were everywhere. The manager owns one, as did a customer who was taking his to Costa Rica.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Dropped my Husky off at the dealer after riding it for one day. I think someone toasted my hydro clutch on a test ride, as it didn't shift at all when I got it back. The guy said a seal kit would be $30 plus a 1/2 hour of labor. If they try to charge me $$$ for a slave cylinder I'm taking it back and doing it myself when I feel like spending the money.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Popped the clutch in first on the husky. First five or so times it just kicked, second five times it came up a few inches and rode it out, third time was like wooooaaah! Then I got the back end to slide out making a u-turn in the lot. Then I quit while I was ahead.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Man this light today was so messed up, turning green for only a drat second. Traffic is backed up and...oh wait I'm on my Husky (rides on sidewalk, across trailer park, jumps curb between trees into auto service center and on to open roads, all while slipping the clutch so to allow extra reving/noise-making).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Simkin posted:

Pics Video or it didn't happen

It's not exactly a difficult thing to do, just depends on how much of a jerk you are willing to look like. And I'm willing to look like a big one.

Today I noticed cords showing on my VFR's rear tire. Put it up on the center stand, took four lugs off and got a new tire mounted and balanced (it only took cycle gear 20 minutes) and slapped it back on. It totally made up for the day it took to take the wheel off the Buell and the day it took to put it back on.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Today I found out the rain + new tire + going over railroad tracks = fishtailing VFR.

I was already going slow (but accelerating from a stop) and the back end just came out real violently considering the rain. It stepped out one way, then snapped back the other way. I don't know how I didn't fall, but I just kept my feet on the pegs and I don't think I even eased off the throttle very much. Of course, I then rode away nonchalantly so everyone at the intersection thinks I do this all the time. I've ridden in the rain before but never was it that slippery. :sweatdrop:

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 12, 2009

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Put a new tire on the front of my VFR. That makes both tires new and ready for my advanced rider course tomorrow. I'll report back if it's worth anything.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Worked out my radar detector solution, remote display and a Wolfman bag:

It works better than I thought it would. Seems to be as good as when it is handlebar mounted on my VFR, with the exception of rearward detection. Plus the V1 itself should withstand rough riding, maybe even a minor crash.

The only thing is it's directly hooked to the battery, since wiring it into the ignition had it turning off and on at idle. I guess I'd better learn how to use the kickstarter.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Changed some oil.

Filter for the VFR on the left, filter for the Husky on the right. Both were the same price!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Changed the oil and filter on the VFR today. I wondered how a bike could have an 8k mile oil change interval until it took almost 4 quarts of oil with the filter.

Then I took it out and almost lost it completely on a backroad. Basically I was coming around a turn and there was some sand in the road. Hit it dead on as I was already going a bit fast and leaned over, tire steps out, squiggles all over the place, then regains traction and I'm on my way. I just kept my feet on the pegs and the throttle constant.

This is the fourth time this has happened in less than a year, wtf? I come away each time feeling cool/skilled/whatever but logic tells me my days are numbered. Dammit.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I don't think that 4 quarts of oil is all that much for a bike. Both my TT600 and my brother's Katana use just about that much.

Well I've changed oil on cars (turbo ones even) that only take 3.5 quarts. For a relatively small 800 or 600cc motor it seems like a nice surplus.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Ola posted:

Remember your motor oil is also your gear oil. :)

:)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

After months of riding the Husky around with no inspection (because it kept failing) I got it to pass. Basically, the brake light was too dim to see and I had to unscrew the lens and show him the bulb, while explaining that it has to pass because it's OEM and promising to get a different tail light. Ugh Italian bikes.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

sirbeefalot posted:

:psyduck:

Husky as in Husqvarna? I thought they were Swedish?

p.s. not defending the Italians in any way.

Well, the company began in Sweden but was sold to Cagiva/MV Agusta in the 80s. BMW bought them in 07 (mine's an 06), but Husky headquarters is still in the quaint Italian village of breakeasio.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I finally gave in and put the hard bags on the VFR.

Obviously it isn't as good looking as without, but drat if it doesn't make it more useful. Nothing beats going somewhere and throwing my helmet/gloves in one and my jacket in the other and walking around like a normal person! I think I can pull off minor food shopping too.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I'm surprised you still use the tank bag when you have those.

The tank bag is good for bringing stuff with me, since it's also a backpack. I leave bike stuff in the hard bags and bring work stuff with me in the tank bag. Say what you will about Icon gear, their bags (and Ti-max gloves) are pretty cool.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Went to check the oil on the Husky and promptly pulled the threads out of the engine cover. Goddamn this thing is soft metal. Drilled and tapped a new screw and it seems to be holding up. Also...chopped the tail!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Ola posted:

This could be art right there.

Rolled over 10,000 miles on the VFR today (bought it in May with 6700).

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 5, 2009

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Sourced everything I need to get the VFR back on the road for under $400. She won't be pretty, but I can look for deals on the cosmetic stuff later. If I buy one anniversary edition fairing, is that a good enough excuse to get the whole bike painted?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Took both wheels off the Husky, ran to cyclegear to get them mounted only to find I overlooked the fact that I need tubes and have to order them. Went back home and remounted the wheels just to move the bike back in storage. gently caress there goes my weekend.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Zool posted:

Do shops not stock tubes for 17in tires? I guess I better order some too.

They had I think 5 inch wide and I needed six for the rear. I pushed for an alternative, but shop policy says they need to replace them and not mount certain tires without them. They don't seem to carry much for supermoto at all, had to order distanzas from newenough.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

bung posted:

The front brakes were making humming sound when coming to a stop. The rotors were warped. I didn't know that I needed the wiring harness until the shop had the bike for a few days. Apparently the dash was flickering which meant that the harness had to be replaced. I had never experienced that problem while I had the bike. But it was all covered by warranty and I'm just happy to have it back.

"Looks like a frayed wire...uh I mean bad wiring harness." Who the hell replaces a harness?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Got pulled over for the second time cause of my "dirtbike stlye" tail light. It looked good, but I guess it's time to get an Edge. Wouldn't of had to bother if the stock taillight actually passed inspection or the exhaust didn't melt the plastic plate holder.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Got good parking for once.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Then got stuck riding in the rain at night for over an hour with only my dark smoke visor. Rain drops at 60mph really sting the eyeballs.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

sirbeefalot posted:

Yikes, did it fall all the way off the stand? :ohdear:

The bike wants to slide that bad.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Shoveled the Ninja out and fixed it up/rode it. You know this whole mass centralization thing is cool and all, but pulling the gas tank off just to top off the coolant isn't. Today is oil and filter and fix squeaky brakes, tomorrow is pick up new tires.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Found a Motion Pro hex tool for removing axles that was $43. Bought a 13/16th spark plug socket for $3.79, turned it backwards and used that instead (it's exactly 22mm).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

After a week of prep-work I got mine out, 636 had a bad ground causing the blinker to not work and now seems to be leaking coolant a bit, but I did my 100 (150) mile break-in on my new Stradas.

It's an odd feeling riding around without numb fingers and the need to piss really bad.

kylej posted:

So now I'm spending the day cleaning and moisturizing my leather gear. Battery takes 8 hours to charge. Goddamnit :/

Can't it charge while you ride (just don't stall)? Time to pick up a battery tender jr. I got one for each bike and they're always on it.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 7, 2010

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

ari.gato posted:

Just get a good GPS and dail in the correct speedo settings based on it's readings. That's how I setup my acewell. In the 2 weeks I didn't have a speedo, I ended up getting two tickets which I now have to fight. Not worth the hassle.

I have the opposite problem. My speedo is reading 85 and people are passing me in the slow lane. I'd like to pick up a speedo healer but drat what a rip-off.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Fantastipotamus posted:

Back when I had my SV, I installed a bicycle speedo on it because I was sure it was way off. Very easy and cheap ($40 for the computer and $3 for rare earth magnets). You basically put the magnet somewhere onthe wheel rim, put the sensor that comes with computer in close proximity to where that magnet will pass as the tire rotates, measure the wheel circumference, input that into the computer, and you're off. Cheap, small (1"x2" wide) and as accurate as your tire circumference measurement. I may still have some pictures of the setup kicking around, if you're interested.

Something like this? It looks pretty neat, though it might be kinda hard to read at a glance.

Edit: Actually, I'm gonna pick up the $100 Garmin soon (200 or 210 Model iirc), wire it into the bike and keep it in the map pocket of my tank bag. Don't those have a speedo function on them?

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 12, 2010

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Checked intake valve clearance, took a nap, checked exhaust valve clearance. One exhaust valve is .005 when it's supposed to be 0.006-0.008, so it looks like I need to re-shim. I should've really ordered shims weeks ago, maybe I'll get lucky and the local cycle place will have them.

Also threw a Scotts reusable oil filter in. No more $20 lawnmower filters!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Ola posted:

That is amazing. Lying on the sofa, eyes half closed, one hand under the head, the other wielding a feeler fauge.

Yeah, well I'm sure it'll backfire at some point when the bike falls through the window. :downs:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Watommi posted:

When I got home, just to see what would happen, I jumped off without putting down the kickstand! (I forgot)

This reminds me of something my friend told me. He said he was riding drunk and came to a full stop at a stop sign and forgot to put his foot down.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Imperador do Brasil posted:

wrecked it. some person in a ford explorer ran a stop sign and t-boned me. now i'm lying in a hospital bed with a broken hip and wondering what the bike looks like

Holy poo poo, did they get the guy/girl who did this to you?!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

sirbeefalot posted:

I had a staring contest with some hot piece of rear end as she crossed the street directly in front of me while I waited for the light. She finally looked away when she started to stray from the crosswalk, then looked back once she reached the far side. :c00l:

Yeah I almost crashed like four times thinking about it afterwards, what of it?

She probably just thought you're some weirdo cause you were staring. I'm one to talk though, with my trusty tinted visor I just blatantly stare at every chick I pass.

Grounded the neutral safety switch on the 636 after it stranded me at Taco Bell for 20 minutes. Got home and my tacos were cold and the wrong order to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

After chasing down and repairing a bad ground on my blinker, finding the right bulb and going to the inspection station 4 times only to turn around due to stupid-long lines I finally took the 636 through inspection. The guy comes out, asks the mileage and puts a passing sticker on. No checking of lights, horn, nothing! Craziness! Also, I failed in my quest to get some leather pants. Some biker I am.