Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Messed around with body positioning on one of my favorite backroads today. I wish I had some pics to see what I looked like (I'm sure it's a lot different than what it felt like), but it's amazing how much more planted the bike feels when you're hanging off the right side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Crayvex posted:

Sounds like someone is jeal-lous!! :rolleyes:

Don't we just love our biker stereotypes?

Harley-Davidson/Cruiser Crowd = Banker/Accountant poser who rides a garage queen. Straight pipes added without a carb tune or EFI remapping and thus has lovely performance versus stock. Other bike modifications consist of getting as much leather poo poo on the bike as possible. Safety gear is for fags unless it is a leather vest with chaps and a skull cap novelty helmet.

Sportbike/Crotch Rocket - Hooligan 19 year old who is more interested in stuntz and trix then getting a job. Theses are the people who cut off other drivers and ride like maniacs and put the CHILDREN in danger! Bike mods are geared toward flashy lights and anything that looks like a tribal tattoo. Riders will have too much gear or none at all.

BMW/Goldwing Crowd - Pfft..old people.

;)

Which is why supermotos are great, nobody even knows what to make of it other than "is that funny looking thing legal?".

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

M4gic posted:

Don't the pads start squeaking bad like they do on cars? Mine will probably get worn down quick because I tend to pull in the clutch and slow down with the brakes instead of engine breaking to stops.

Sometimes, but sometimes it's the opposite. My bike squeals like crazy, but it's because the PO put super-metallica brake pads on, so it always sounds horrible.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Got out on the Husky to the inspection station. The line was so long I turned around and left. Some lady pulled in front of me, so I cut behind another car and got in front of both of them. Other car cuts off a truck to get behind me. I turn my head and she starts yelling/waving at me, so I reved the motor until she shut up. Then I ran out of gas right in the middle of flying around a turn. WTF.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Ola posted:

Today I rode my bike at 62 kph in a 50 kph zone and got lasered by the man.

Got fined 2900 NOK / $474 :(

Geez, I feel like I jinxed you from my post in your thread. Sorry dude. :(

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

benwards posted:

Am I asking for the wrong thing?

No. The world is filled with idiot fucks who don't know what a crush washer is. I went to a bunch of stores too and got "You need a crushed...washer??". I ended up ordering them online and paying more in shipping than the cost of the washers.

I started replacing the chain and sprockets on the 636. Got the chain off, only to realize I had to put it back on to break loose the engine sprocket. Reconnected it, put a board across the rear wheel to keep it from spinning...and promptly snapped the board trying to break loose the sprocket nut. When I get a job the first thing I'm doing is buying an air compressor and impact gun.

:bang:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Friggin gave up on that front sprocket on the 636. Heating it up with a torch just made it easier for the thing to strip. But I inspected the teeth and compared it with worn pics and it looks as though it isn't even worn down at all so I'll leave it. I did replace the rear and chain though.

The previous owner told me the bike has -1 +2...well it doesn't; it's -1 and stock rear. I ordered -1 +2, thinking it was a direct replacement, so now I have even more acceleration and way off speedo. So after saying I wasn't going to spend any more money I broke down and ordered a speedohealer. I think my next ride is gonna be even more ridiculous than when I removed the accelerator cap on the Husky! Woahh!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

The best part is that the 636 doesn't even really need regearing to be decent enough for street riding, with -1/+2 you're going to be having a great time.

Seriously though. Impact wrench.

Also, you did fold the lockwasher flat, correct?

Yeah really, I thought it was great before and wouldn't have upped the gearing on purpose. At least I won't be cruising too fast on the highway now, just cause I don't want to have to listen to the thing at 10k rpms with a laser exhaust.

As for the washer, pounded it flat quite a bit...which just made it a huge pain to then bend back again. What happened was the PO changed just that front sprocket, had the work done at a dealer, and they impacted it on instead of torquing it to spec. Otherwise I probably could've gotten it off. I'll post a pic later to make sure my riveting is ok to go.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

laymil posted:

Aren't you in NJ? If so, you're welcome to stop by and use my cordless impact. I had no issues getting the last few front sprockets I've done off.

edit: curing z3n disease.

Awesome, thanks dude. I know a guy with one, but since it wasn't worn out I just decided to put if off so I could get back to riding. Save all that pain in the rear end stuff for winter.

I didn't know anyone else was in NJ. I could of sworn I was the only NJ guy on that SA biker map that was put up awhile ago.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Started riding from NJ to Maine...in a dream I had. For some reason I turned around halfway because I forgot my battery tender.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Even my pitbull front is a bit wiggly, especially when I used it without the rear stand. I've done some crappy rig ups and nothing has fallen yet (knock on wood).

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

I finally got the Husky inspected today, then while off-roading got a wire wrapped around the rear wheel. Check your poo poo after romping in the dirt!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Installed the Speedohealer in the 636 finally. Stupid thing, I had to take the gas tank off and solder everything. It's a version 4 speedohealer, yet still isn't plug and play. What have they been doing for the past 3 versions?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

After taking my first big trip last week, I discovered that all the jokes about thumpers shaking themselves apart aren't jokes; they're instructions.

One tube of red and one tube of purple permatex later, and I don't think my brake light assembly, the footpegs, rear subframe bolts, or kickstand aren't going to fall off anymore.

One day I realized my Husky no longer had a kickstarter. :sigh:

I flushed the coolant on the 636...in the house...and didn't make a mess either! The bike was already on an old rug, which I piled newspapers and paint trays on. Then rather than actually flushing water through it I drained the coolant out of the bottom drain bolt into a funnel and jug, replaced the bolt and filled with water and repeat 5x, taking off the other drain bolt (there's two) periodically. I used some new coolant for the last flush as I didn't want to leave too much undistilled water in there and was too lazy to go buy distilled. And I did open the window near it for a bit to get some fresh air as well. Next step...flushing the brakes!

Click here for the full 1240x930 image.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I still have to run it with the cap off to get the air out of the coolant and top off the oil probably, but no I'm not doing that until I roll it outside.

Actually come to think of it...

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

I was dreading this for absolutely no reason at all, I guess I thought it would be way more fiddly than it was. 80p's worth ($1.10) of aquarium tubing, and it was job done :D

You could always pick up one of these, which then makes it almost too easy.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Rode the Husky and flushed the brakes on the Ninja.

Ahhh, that's some satisfaction right there.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

drat it is 66 degrees here. I got the Ninja back together and rode it basically around the block repeatedly cause I never heard the fuel pump prime. Seems to be getting fuel fine, though.

Also this, with an evil laugh flying across town.

the walkin dude posted:

I forgot how fast a bike was.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I somehow snapped another license plate off on the Husky.

The first time was understandable, I was in the woods and falling all over the place. But this time I was on the street and didn't fall at all. In both instances the corner of the plate snapped off that is bolted to the bracket. I guess it's from vibrations or maybe the exhaust heating up the plate.

Luckily I had zipties holding it on as well, so no replacement plate fees this time. Gonna drill holes into the plate and secure it with rubber washers and get back out there check the valves/change the oil again.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

upsidedown posted:

I had this happen on my KTM. I've since attached the license plate to a 1mm thick steel plate and mounted the whole lot to the bike. Seems pretty solid so far and I have more faith in the thick steel plate than the paper thin license plate.

I don't have a pop-riveter or any steel plate, but I do have old bike plates. I could double or triple them up..though I guess running three different plates on one bike isn't such a good idea.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I flushed my brakes too, since I had a big can of DOT 4 from when I did the ninja. Then booking it around a turn (ridin' dongy) a car was stopped in the middle of the road, and I'm glad I did. Either way, that Husky brakes like poo poo.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Well the helmet lock on my bike works in such a way that someone could cut the chin strap and make off with the helmet and it hasn't happened yet. I'm always worrying about it, though.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

-Inu- posted:

What's that...?

Digging that creative plate setup, I don't think I've ever seen one mounted that way.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

I have to adjust the valves on my bike every 500-1,000 miles. At least the adjusters are behind ONE BOLT. lovely bike but easy maintenance.

At least yours are adjustable. I have stupid shims, which means my bike sits with the valve cover off for weeks while I order +/- 5mm shims.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

Buy a shim kit! Or do they not make shim kits for your moon bike?

I actually emailed hotcams.com earlier cause Huskys aren't listed there, but I think they are the same size as some jap bikes (9.48mm).

KARMA! posted:

Can't you trade shims with a local shop? doesn't hurt to try.

I tried that last time and they charged me $10. For one shim.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I took a short trip, fueled by my desire to get a baseline for my Fuelly. I decided to abandon the stifling, suffocating environment of Central New Jersey for the wild and untamed majesty of Northern New Jersey. If you try to find bike roads in NJ, all signs point up there and while they're a bit too far to hit up on the regular, I at least wanted to see what is beyond a 20 mile radius.

The first stop was the Watchung Reservation. It had some pretty decent twisties, though not too many places to pull over and be a tourist. It's one of the few roads in NJ I've ever seen that didn't have any houses on it. No joggers, no angry fist shaking parents. Also, despite going at a leisurely pace, every single car pulled over and let me pass them. Crazy!

After a few passes I decided to head North again. This time the destination was Shades of Death Road. :ghost: Legend has it this road is filled with ghosts, ghouls, a Native American who changes into a deer and runs in front of cars, and rebellious wiccans that prance around naked and are really open minded about stuff if you know what I mean. I didn't see any of these things, but a giant pothole appeared out of nowhere and gave me a good kick in the rear end.

I got no less than three dirty looks taking this pic. Maybe it's because a lot of tourists come through here and kids sometimes steal the street signs. Most likely it was my lovely parking, though. Sorry...I'd be a bit more accommodating if you weren't all satanists.

The road itself was uneventful and badly paved.

Here I am next to Ghost Lake. Once upon a time, a poor unfortunate soul fell into this lake and became wet.

The roads surrounding the area were much better.

Whats that! :ghost:

At this point I wanted to go on to spooky Clinton Road (probably not spooky) but it was already starting to rain and I had a relatively long ride back, so I figure I'll save it for another day. Generally I proved what I already knew, North Jersey is better than Central Jersey. Total miles - 316. Average MPG - 36.6.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

I love that triple exhaust out from under the seat. It's probably my second favorite to the MV F3.

Thanks. Laser is the company that makes them. It's on the expensive side but also one of the better looking exhausts for most bikes. Mine isn't too loud either.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I took a six hour day trip that turned into an eight hour day trip because I left too late and hit rush hour traffic on the way back. Maybe I can find a better seat for the Ninja on ebay or something cause god drat. I came across a power plant and was going to ask them if it was possible "that it could blow up like that one in Japan" but there was a lake in the way.

Then on the way home I went to pass a dump truck with a trailer by way of the slow lane and he decided to merge into me.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Now I've got this image in my head of two-tone white and red wheels on the Husky.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Washed my helmet liners.

I would have felt pretty good about the whole thing too if I didn't find out that the closet where I keep my helmets and jackets is infested with ants. After I pulled the liners out, banging my icon on the table had them falling out from the holes in the styrofoam. :derp::gonk::derp:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Loucks posted:

Got tired of rolling the bike back and forth while cleaning and lubing the chain. Locked the forks, zip-tied the brake lever, and tipped the bike onto its kickstand to lift the rear wheel off the ground. It worked, but I think it's time to give up and buy a rear stand. Anyone here have a t-rex stand, or should I spend the money on a pit bull?

Just buy em used. I got both front and rear pit bulls off craigslist for iirc $100 and there are about a dozen on there right now for the same price.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

kylej posted:

I use this.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-92474.html

Took me about half an hour to do all the brake lines.

+1 for this. I actually enjoy bleeding brakes in bikes and cars since I got one of these.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Relocated my ECU on the 636. :argh:

Apparently the random shutting off problem I was having wasn't coolant related, as it came back along with bogging down after about 40 minutes of riding. On Kawiforums there is a 26 page thread about this problem where most came to the conclusion the problem is the ECU and its location in the tail, right above the exhaust. Repeated heat cycles eventually damage it and cause this problem.

I wanted my bike in order by monday, so rather then blow $200-400 on a new ECU off ebay, I relocated mine in between the battery and fuel tank (as one guy in the thread did). Had to extend a few wires and it is a really tight fit but it seems to be fixed after an hours ride and extended idling. Hopefully I make it to work and back tomorrow.

Really who makes a decision to put the ecu right on top of the exhaust anyway? Undertail exhausts seem really dumb all together; excess heat cooks the tail and the riders and adds extra weight too.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I like the new tiny side exhausts they're doing on newer bikes now, although they all seem to have cats they hide behind the fairings.

Agreed. I hope to one day get a Street Triple R and have the pleasure of going from this:

to this:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I'll admit undertails look good on a lot of bikes, but for usability less heat and weight is what I'd want when I'm riding the thing. Don't worry though, I'm not throwing my sweet lazer exhaust in the dumpster or anything.

the walkin dude posted:

Yikes. Do you know if carbon fiber exhausts help with this issue?

Stock exhausts seemed to fair better than aftermarket in that thread. I'd say get some heat shielding to go under the tail (metal or that roll on type) which might prevent it if done early on before it starts acting up.

Today's ride to work was fine in decent heat and temps of 212-216, and the ride home in rain was fine too. No bucking or bullshit. I was a bit worried about the ecu getting wet in its new location, but since it's right in front of the battery hopefully it should continue to be ok. Kreiga R30 and Nelson Rigg rain suit worked perfect too. :)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Welp the 636 bogged out again and stalled on the highway today. Started up ten minutes later and rode another 15 miles to my house, so at least I can get farther than I was before.

If anyone knows where I can get an ECU for an 05 Ninja ZX6r, let me know!

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Maybe it does. Read through that thread if you are that worried. I reread it and found the guy who located the ecu cut the battery tray out, which I didn't so I'm gonna try that and see if it gives it more breathing room.

In reference to stock exhausts you might be ok anyway.

quote:

Not all 05-06 636's have these problems but if you have a Slip-On or Full Exhaust System, you may experience these problems. The Stock midpipe has a built in heatshield and the aftermarket systems don't. You can remove the stock heatshield and install it on the aftermarket midpipe or wrap it. There's a reason the factory put the heatshield there.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Stalled the 636 again. It seems like my new ECU location, along with "extra airflow holes", mitigate a lot of the heat so I can go farther and only stay on the side of the road for a minute instead of twenty. Still though the damage seems to have been done. I found an ECU right in PA for $60 shipped so I'm hoping I get it on Monday and it works.

Also seeing how much some parts go for...and how cheap some crashed bikes are is giving me the idea of using a big empty basement I have to try out running a motorcycle salvage yard. :dance:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Z3n posted:

There can be a good amount of money in this, but there are some caveats...if you're interested I can post some common gotchas and ways to spot good buys.

Yes please!:)

Ideally I'd like to find a crashed 05-06 Ninja. That way even if I'm a total failure I at least have plenty of spare parts. There aren't too many salvage bikes out there right now and I'm guessing most of it is a waiting game. Here's a few that caught my eye that I would take a look at.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/2448269147.html

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/2514753161.html <-maybe repair if it is startable

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/2511203863.html

the walkin dude posted:

I hope that ECU's plug and play?

Why wouldn't it be? I think euro bikes had immobilizers and coded keys, but US doesn't.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Well my new ECU/CDI came today. $60, arrived two days after I ordered it, and came out of the ups box smelling like girls' hair. It also seems to have fixed the problem, but I'm not gonna be positive until a few days of hot traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Relocated the ECU again, though I think it should be good now. In between the battery and fuel tank was still too close to the engine and it was getting hot to the touch, so I tossed the old stock exhaust servo motor with a servo eliminator and put the ECU there.

For reference the old ECU is in the old position (actually it was a bit further back), the new is forward and completely under the seat so it shouldn't get too hot.

All tucked away with my servo budd.

And while you can't really tell from a distance...

...wrapped the tail up tighter than the space shuttle (R.I.P.).

I'm probably going to add some more heat shielding to the side where the exhaust runs to the can since it's pretty close to the ECU too. Hopefully that'll do it.