Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I cleaned the chain on the Husky with some WD-40, then took it for a test ride too soon. When the bike stalled due to having less then a gallon of gas and not being on reserve, I looked down and saw black grime from the chain guide all over the side of the engine and thought I blew the motor. Never been so paranoid about an engine before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I actually normally use belray chain lube which is pretty fling resistant but ran out. But thats more for lubing than cleaning. Been meaning to get kerosene.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

It turned out that a valve adjustment was way overdue, goddamn previous owner(s) probably never had the valve cover off ever.

I couldn't even get a 0.05mm feeler gauge in there, on an engine where the minimum clearance is 0.10mm and 0.18mm for intake and exhaust :catstare:

So the valves were way out of spec and the bike still started and ran normally? drat I should get a bandit one day.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

And screw adjusters too, thats awesome. The biggest pain when doing the valves is having to order the shims after you measure them, waiting a week or more to get replacements. On the ninja I needed like 5 of the same size, which meant if I had ordered the big kit I would have been screwed since it only has 3 of each. Every bike should have screw adjusters.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Adjusted the CCT on the 636 in. Now it doesn't tick at all and has a sight whine, but I won't have to listen to any more wannabe stunters tell me "Yo your motor is knocking bro".

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Got an offer on the 636 I don't think I can refuse.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I had planned on not riding the 636 while it's up for sale, but after two weeks of that bs I took a 360 mile trip on it today. Most of that was sweeping county roads culminating in finding this by accident, which of course is starting to make me think I should just keep the bike. Needs handlebars though, my whole upper back is killing me.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I don't think it's my positioning, I cycled through about four different ones throughout the day. It is probably lack of riding it more than anything, that and not taking enough breaks.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Hmm I think I might like to try those speedbleeders.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Started tracking the mpgs on the WRX. 30 minutes highway, 30 minutes 1st and 2nd gear in the dirt, 30 minutes practicing wheelies in a lot and a mix of in town-riding = 62.2 mpg. God I love this bike.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

^^^^^Stuff like this is why I don't play the riding game. It's more fun just doing my own thing on the bike than running around looking for landmarks or completing random as hell tasks.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

How are you tracking mpgs? I've been resetting my trip gauge every gas up for a rough average mpg on the ninja 250 and I'm getting somewhere on the low side of 50 - 60 mpg. My guess is the main reason for this is high winds in the area.

I just plug my numbers into Fuelly.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Completed all my maintenance on the WRX. God this bike is easy to work on. I probably went overboard but at least now I know when everything was done (oil, coolant, brake fluid, spark plug, air filter). I made my skateboard wheel sliders, threw on a skidplate I got with the bike, flipped the horn so it doesn't look silly hanging off the bottom and dumped the mirrors for a "Third Eye" bicycle mirror. Turns out the Third Eye mirrors are the same thing as the Dual Star mirror but half the price. Also Dual Star never answers their goddamn phones so you can't get one anyway.

Afterwards I went for a ride and noticed the engine sounded weird as hell, like a howling noise. I thought maybe it might be the spark plug since a CR9EIX was in there instead of the CR9EK that's supposed to be, but it turns out it's the skiplate! Apparently they're notorious for reflecting the engine noise back up to the rider. I might end up taking it off cause it's pretty annoying, probably hell on the highway.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah there are a bunch of things people have done, from duct tape to bedliner to dynamat. I just have to pick one.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Finally sold the 636 for $4k, so I can cross off the first of my short term goals. We had some fun times together but sometimes a person and a bike just fall out of love. Maybe in a year I'll get a ZX10 or 14 but for now I'm happy with my sumos.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Spent the better part of a day bolting parts on the WRX, then took it down some backroads, then off the backroads to nowhere. I rode home with vines hanging off again.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

The new yamaha WR450s use a capacitor that gets the job done, though the stator was beefed up (160 watts) to make up for it. They have the option for a battery but it can be removed for "racing use", which means no electric start.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I did my regular day-trip on the WRX for the first time. 330 miles and it was a lot more comfortable than the 636, mostly because I can move around on the seat more. Not as much fun in high-speed sweepers obviously but I can tear through the woods cornfields and get mpgs in the mid-60s. Also came across a nice looking 900ss for sale for 3k. That's almost impulse-buy territory.

Then I come home and see this. I was right there, though later in the afternoon.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

How is it with the engine mods? I've always been curious what it would be like to ride a really built 600.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Threw on the new UFO fender and powdercoated skidplate. I just need a nice dry day to spray some bedliner on the underside to kill that echoing noise. I also need the stock 13 tooth front sprocket cause I can't clutch up second sitting on the tailpiece and yanking on the bars (it's 14 now). First is nice though, I'm pretty sure I hit 3:30 today.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

What do you mean "might". I just ordered one for $28 shipped, so if you have it I'll see if I can cancel the order.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Thanks but no. With the 47 rear on there that'd be a bit over the top.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

Want it for free? I have no use.

Sure why not, email me Bomanroman at gmail.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

On the WRX:

1. Sprayed bedliner on the underside of the skidplate, killed the excess noise considerably.

2. Pulled the chain off and cleaned/lubed it, I love clip-style masterlinks.

3. Went -1 in the front and now it clutches up second easy.

4. Got a flat tire.

On the Husky:

1. Pulled the carb off in preparation for a rejet

2. Found out my fuel catch shifted over and was touching the exhaust.

It's been a two steps forward, three steps back kinda weekend.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

GanjamonII posted:

Dealer gave me the wrong size oil filter. Doh.

JD Jetting gave me the wrong size jet. Goddammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I finished up the Husky finally. Carb rejetted, arrow exhaust, a -1 front sprocket, renthal bars and a few other things. I was pretty happy when it started up and idled nice, I never rejetted a carb before but it is surprisingly easy. It was also nice to find out the term "slip-on exhaust" is accurate too.

Then I took it for a test ride...jesus christ. The power builds so fast and snapping the throttle feels like it wants to rip my arms off and shoots the front up even when I'm sitting forward on the seat. Never felt such instant-on power before. I'm not even sure if I'm going to race it this weekend because I feel like I have to get used to it all over again, especially if I'm going to a go-cart track. Trying to launch like I was before would probably just have the bike doing a complete backflip and despite being lighter then the WRX by about 30lbs the steering feels heavy and slow. I'm hoping it was just the tire psi being off as I forgot to check it before my test ride (I half expected it to not start).