Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ok, it's time to start recording what the heck I'm doing to this bike.

This weekend: remounted the swingarm, front and rear wheels. Noticed the new rear tire would rub on the muffler if anyone rode it. Also noted a couple of polished spots on the muffler where the previous tire must have rubbed. Suspect it happened during one of the drops. Finally started it after 6 months without running it.

Last night: back up on the lift, hauled off the rear tire to check if it'd been put together right. It has been. Took off the gas tank and changed the sparkplug. Plug looks about right for a lean-running engine that isn't burning oil yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh, hey, I can post in this thread again. Measured & compared various points all over the KLR, just to assure myself that no major components were out of dimension, and installed/aligned the rear wheel down to the thou using my Grandfather's Calipers.

Tire still rubs on muffler, though not as close as before.

Only other thing I can think of that seemed out of place, is that the space between the arms of the swingarm was an eighth to 3/16th inch wider than the assembled wheel, indicating I still may not have put the wheel together correctly (though everything on the exploded diagram seems to be in the wheel). Is it possible that the arms were in tension when it was originally assembled and a month of sitting has relaxed them?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Chopped a notch in my metal skidplate so I can access the balancer chain tensioning bolt, and bolted the plate back on after re-tapping the threads on the clamps. I swear the nuts were squashed. Also installed the new fork brace. Don't think it'll actually do a heck of a lot but it looks pretty nice and it's good machining.

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 4, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
4/5/9: Installed the beefy-rear end crash bars, put the tank and seat back on. Somewhere in there I shimmed the muffler out to the side a bit so it's close but not rubbing. e: Testing tonight! I almost like it better with most of the plastics off.

5/5/9: Tried to start it. It wouldn't. Hooked the fuel lines back up. Tried to start it. Ran it. Rode it. Man that's good, it's been like 7 months. Also, had to move the chain guard over because the tire was rubbing on that side as well. It's still held, but not as firmly. Shouldn't go into the chain barring someone yanking on it. Tomorrow night: Go over the poo poo I did with a fine tooth comb, check tightnesses, put the plastics on, air the tires properly, 100kph commute simulation run.

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 6, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
spent most of the evening trying to line up the bolt holes on the left front fairing. Mother pus bucket.

Next bike's naked.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
RODE. IT. TO. WORK.

Most of the riding I do is in-city freeway commute. It's so nice to be doing what I usually do with the biek.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rode it to work! I figure with how the weather here has been, if I leave it at home because it's cold/rainy I'm not gonna get to ride it at all.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Found out that a 1/4" drive handle is a far better tool for installing fairings than is a ratchet wrench. What took me 2 hours of cursing the last time turned into 20 minutes and a couple of mild gripes. (Course, it doesn't hurt that the last time I learned the way everything wants to fit together in the fist place)

What I actually did was unbolt and loctite some stuff I'd been worried about, like the bolts for my skidplate, muffler, and the subframe bolts that are also holding on my crash bars.

Now I'mma go ride it, test out a gorillapod camera mount.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Retarded Pimp posted:

I put that 08 KLR I wrecked last year back together enough to run around a bit and after resetting the pilot screw and shimming & drilling the carb slide it power wheelies in first.
Yes!

Next mod selected.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Retarded Pimp posted:

It's pretty drat easy.
If you have an aftermarket exhaust it'll take 2 #4 flat washers to shim the needle, 1 with the stock. The slide hole gets drilled to 7/64", The pilot screw gets turned 2 to 2 1/4 times with an aftermarket exhaust and 1.75 to 2 for the stock one.
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41112
Hmm. That's the 22-cent mod, yes? I know that one's been around for years and probably close to adequately tested, and .net can be a good site for technical information, but after reading the admin's defense of HHO generators in this thread, complete with accusations of detractors being under the thumb of the Big Three, I may have to start taking whatever this guy says with a grain of salt.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Put 3/4 of a liter of oil into it. Over the course of the next week or so I get to test if it's a burner only in the upper reaches of the rev range or if it's everywhere.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey KLR buddies! Good news and bad news! The good news is, the disturbing metallic rattle I was hearing around 3000 rpm and up was not coming from the engine! The bad news is, one of the lesser KLR Curses has struck and one of my subframe bolts is sheared. So figure some time to turn the bolt stub out, plus more time to get a subframe upgrade bolt sized to work with my crashbars, and I might as well take this opportunity to check the valves, god dammit.

Oh, yeah, I replaced my doohickey at about 6500 km, and it looked reasonable and I believe there was still tension on the spring, which is what the main failure mode seems to be on the 2nd-gen.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SuperSlant6 posted:

Another strange quirk that needs to be fixed is a squeaky exhaust. At lower rpms and especially at idle, it emits out of the muffler a squeaky noise or sort of a whistling sound. the exhaust system does not have any leaks and the noise seems to originate in the muffler.

This is apparently a quirk endemic to the KLR muffler, both generations. It's called Tweety. (From the same online community that brought you such technical terms as doohickey and farkle.) You can drill bits of your muffler out, replace it, or accept that your bike is gonna sound dorky.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pulled the muffler off. even shimmed out to the side it was melting the tire. son of a gently caress.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Drilled partway into the bolt. It's not all the way through, clearance is just fuckin' having its way with me. I need longer bits or a bit extender. And longer EZ outs.

e: Also I learned that it's never safe to assume that just because every other bolt you've dealt with on the bike is coarse thread, this one is too.

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 10, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yanked off the subframe. Hooray escalation!

e: Mother pus bucket, this is going to make the drillthru a pain. For you non-KLRistas, the drillthru puts a larger hole through the subframe attachment points I've been yarking about for a week, and you use a single, larger, extremely strong bolt. The problem: it's through that roundbar going through the main frame tube. There'll be about a 25 thou wall through the narrow diameter, and that's if I hit it perfectly, and I'm no loving drill Jedi.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Phy fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 12, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, last night - I need to hunt down a metric bit to install the keysert that will fix the threads I hosed drilling out the broken subframe bolt, so I decided I'd do some other work while the bike has its pants off. Namely, do a valve check. That cover is a bit of a bitch to get out and I hope I can reuse the gasket. I had to stop partway through (again) because while my feeler gauge is suitable for sparkplugs, none of the feelers are thin enough for the valve clearances.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Checked the valve clearances and shim sizes. At the tight end of the range on all four. Might as well bump them all up tomorrow.

e: Valves done. back to drilling.

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 24, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Installed a keensert. Finally I can get back to reassembly.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a recall out for the lights, but I don't know if it actually fixes the problem.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Subframe and various bits back on. Line up muffler so it ain't melt my tire, and put on bars and tank and panels tomorrow. Man i swear I'm the slowest mechanic who ever mechanicked a mechanical. Probably should have ordered the bits last week that I did last night.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yes, but they keep them fuelled by their usurious handling charges and brokerage fees.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fuckin' nothing. I'm waiting a week for a single fuckin' bolt.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The monkeyfuckers at bikebandit shipped my right side frame stay via UPS, when it clearly says "international orders via Fedex" on their website. Preparing for 100%-of-purchase-price cross-border brokerage assrape.

Anyone ever have any success counterbilling bikebandit for stupid stunts like that?

E: five minutes of work, but an important five. Take off lower subframe bolt -> rotate subframe enough to fit other lower subframe bolt -> loctite both and install -> remove hosed-thread placeholder upper subframe bolt -> loctite new upper subframe bolt -> INSTALL NEW UPPER SUBFRAME BOLT. The little bastard that started this month of fuckaroundery and thumb-twiddling is finally finished. It's in at a degree or two angle, which is why I'm not remounting the crashbars and why I had to wait an extra week to get the OEM bolt, but I believe the OEM should be good. All that's left to do for saleable condition is the reserve coolant stay from above, and the rotted wellnuts on the windscreen. It should be rideable right now, and tomorrow I'mma be installing the battery, tank and seat and giving it a spin.

Phy fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 9, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tank on, seat on, testride. It's a bike again. Gonna wring the poo poo out of it over the next week or so, see if that elicits the oilburn I think I have.

e: You too on the wellnuts, huh? VVV

Phy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 11, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Washed" it.

(read: rode to work, and it's been raining since 11:00)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

The monkeyfuckers at bikebandit shipped my right side frame stay via UPS, when it clearly says "international orders via Fedex" on their website. Preparing for 100%-of-purchase-price cross-border brokerage assrape.

Anyone ever have any success counterbilling bikebandit for stupid stunts like that?

Ok, so it was 50% of purchase price. I called up bikebandit and gave them a little poo poo about it, and they credited me the UPS brokerage since they do claim to present all duties, taxes, and brokerage fees at point of purchase. Fellow on the phone said they'd been having some trouble with UPS over this stuff.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
locked up the rear tire! It's a loving good thing I was going straight. Now I have an idea of how little pressure it actually takes to lock the rear, though, so that helps.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I swear, bags are the best mod.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Went for a twilight city ride. gently caress is that ever a scary situation. But feeling like I'm smack in the middle of Hang-On is worth it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ola, I am completely stoked.

Did dick-all with either biek today; tomorrow, must make headway into getting the KLR into saleable condition, consisting of putting on the new frame stay and washing the bejesus out of it. The sidepanel mounting bracket was definitely bent to hell on the old one. Also should probably apply touchup paint to the chips on the tank, and maybe wipe the bugs off the sidecases on the Strom. (Does wussing out on the siderack installation and getting the dealer to do it free of charge count as stuff you did to your ride? If so, "I" put on some luggage last week. But seriously I couldn't get the rack to line up without reefing on it, or bending it with equipment I ain't got)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
600 km ride out to J Random Town, most of it hilly but straight, last fifty through the city in an annoying drizzle. Not sure if that's as far as when I took the KLR down the forestry trunk road but I sure as heck did it quicker.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Stuntin :c00lbert:

Ok, explicate.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

frozenphil posted:

I went for a ride down some road I have never been down (IT'S A BITTERSWEET SYMPHONY THAT'S LIIIIIIFE)

Richard Ashcroft sighs and hits the button on his iphone that sends Mick Jagger another 50p

One bad thing I've found about owning two bikes, one of which I'm working on - it's much easier to find time to ride the bike with the tank and all the plastic bits on rather than work on the other one

Phy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 13, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bought a large windshield for the runner, and in the course of adjusting it for height, promptly dropped it and shattered a looney-sized patch.

I'mma chop half that windscreen off sometime and see if a small screen is better.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Installed crashbars (which don't vibrate a jot, despite their reputation. Awesome) and tightened my chain, which was loose by like 3/4" of travel. Jesus Phy, keep on top of this poo poo, eh?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

niethan posted:

I fixed a box to the back of my bike so I can do shopping with it. It has room for a box of beer to fit snugly so it doesn't even move around. I think I'll be integrating some kind of sissy bar for my girlfriend, cause she finds the box uncomfortable :(

I saw the fairing and got a little worried, but then I remembered it was a Tengai and a plastic crate is pretty much the canonical KLR topcase.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Took it for a ride out to Drumheller and back. It's gettin' nippy out there, I may have to actually put my lining in my Absurdly Warm Jacket.

Figure I'll keep riding as long as the road stays clear of ice and isn't too heavily graveled.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SuperSlant6 posted:

Up graded the sub frame bolts on my KLR today.
This is what came out:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

As you can see one was already broke, and I am lucky I didn't hit a bad bump and take the other one out.
Granted I usually always carry junk on the back my KLR (oddest load was 20lb of cheese), but I would recommend all KLR owners to do the upgrade.
These bolts are replaced by a single M10 grade 12.9 bolt, a jump up from two M8 grade 10.9 bolts.

I don't recommend owners of 2nd-gen KLRs do the single-bolt upgrade. I was looking at doing that to mine last year after one of the bolts supplied with my crash bars snapped. As it turned out, when I rotated the subframe back after drilling out the bit of bolt that remained, the bar into which the subframe attachment holes are tapped narrows down in the middle, inside the frame tube where you can't see, leaving maybe a ten-thou wall through that section if you get it straight through.

I have no idea if the 1st-gen narrows down like that. If it doesn't, a drill-thru is perfectly safe. On the bright side, the 2nd-gen has M10 bolts stock at those points, so it's definitely stronger than the 1st-gen. Swapping the stock 10.9's for 12.9's is IMO the best solution for the newer bikes, if you feel you need the extra strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Scraped most of the grime off the strom's rear wheel and gave the chain a good lubing. Really gotta start thinking about resuscitating the KLR.