Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
E: oh sure bury the poor man's post, phy

knox_harrington posted:

aaaaaAAAAAAAAAHH having decided to take the Fireblade and having a great trip over the Alps, now the loving thing won't start.

I hssa dead battery before but this is slightly different there is a bunch of clicking from under the seat and then the CEL comes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Speed holesdents!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

I guess I'm getting my first Deutsch connectors as they also have 90° attachments.

I just realized I don't actually know if you need one of the purpose-built crimpers for Deutsch pins/sockets, or if any old crimp tool will do?

Otherwise they're fantastic

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi posted:

That has been my exact experience with color rite. It’s always been a big mess.

They supplied a brush-on clearcoat to go with the touch up paint I got for the Rex. Applying it smeared the paint around even after a solid day of curing.

I figure it's likely I was an idiot about paint and you don't ever do that, but then, why sell the clear as anything but a spray?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did some more winterization: drained the carbs, plugged off the fuel line, put tire pressure to spec, cleaned and waxed the chain. Cleaned and reinstalled my kickstand - the jam nut that keeps the pivot bolt in place isn't jamming any more, so I loctited it when I put it back on.

Also did an oil change and new rear motor mount on my car.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Mixing metric and SAE should be punishable with jail time

My first car was a Ford Probe and iirc this did occasionally happen in the areas of the car that weren't just a Mazda 626

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The probe wasn't a 626 it was an mx6 :colbert:

Ok, yeah, but the junkyard I trawled for engine and brake parts never had any mx6es in them but they sure had 626es that I plundered

The valve cover on the 2.0 was literally the exact same but with a Ford logo machine-screwed on instead of a Mazda one

quote:

Just the existence of 7mm fasteners is enraging. 6 and 8 are right loving there you scum

Are we talking the thread or the head? I had to disassemble some rails in my fridge to clean it that were attached with tekscrews with a 6.5mm head. The first socket set my dad gave me for Christmas (many years ago) had a bunch of n.5 metric and x/32 imperial sizes, and this is the first time I've needed any of them.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Working on getting it back out of storage. It runs, I could ride it home tonight if I had my gear with me, but I want to do the valve shims and a carb balance first.

Does my front sprocket look worn enough to be worth replacing? My rear is for sure fine.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pulled the valve cover off and recorded clearances, tomorrow is time to have fun with spreadsheets

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

yummycheese posted:

what kind of bike and what did you find?
generally I find that the exhaust side will have tightened up a bit and the intake side is usually in spec.

ZRX1100. Exhausts loose on the left, in spec in the middle, tight on the right. Intakes loose on both outsides, in spec in the middle again. I did the valves myself last time, back in 2019.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

One of the saddest bikes I've ever seen was an R1 with bar risers, lowering pegs, an extra screen and a full set of panniers

Mighta been cheaper to source some lower fairings for an fz1, gently caress

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Pulled the valve cover off and recorded clearances, tomorrow is time to have fun with spreadsheets

Got almost all the necessary replacements done last night. Either I measured badly or some of the shims I picked up were out of spec, because when I rechecked clearances four valves were off. I managed to do some more horse trading and got the number down to only one more new shim needed, which goes in tonight. Then re-recheck clearances, button up the valve cover, and hopefully there's enough time left in the evening to do a carb sync.

Also I got a new exhaust hanger to replace the hackjob I made last year, but it's got different tab locations than the one the PO originally used, so I need to install a longer bolt to accommodate the spacer.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Every night these last couple of weeks I haven't got as much work done as I wanted, or even as much as I thought I was going to. I don't have my own garage so my parents let me stow the Rex at their place over the winter, and when I work on it (or my cars) there my time ends up being split between some combination of setup, takedown/cleanup, shooting the poo poo with Mom and Dad, having a meal, and actual mechanic work. Sometimes I'm tempted to get annoyed about it, but as we've all gotten older it's been easier to remind myself that it's not the turning wrenches I'm going to treasure one day.

Last night ended up being relatively trivial in terms of poo poo actually accomplished. I got the final shim replaced, re-rechecked all my clearances, found one more valve that was just over spec, changed that shim out for one I knew was 0.01mm thicker (because I finally remembered to bring my goddamn calipers), and buttoned up the valve cover. I was going to try starting the engine but I discovered that I'd lost the little standoff for my relocated horn bracket, and the horn ends up kind of buried in the middle of coolant hoses and plug wires when everything is back together so I just called it a night.

Then when I got home, my wife asked me if I was sure it hadn't fallen into the engine, and I'm like 95% sure it hadn't... But that's not good enough when it's the top end! So I'm gonna quickly pull the valve cover again this weekend just to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Got my muffler bolted on. Took the valve cover back off and checked for debris, found none. Valve cover back on. Took it out onto the driveway, did a carb synch. Also discovered that the little piece of clear tube with a tiny inner diameter that was supplied with the Carbtune actually had a purpose, so before I ran the bike I spliced that sucker into the vacuum lines, and now the gauges are so much steadier and easy to read.

Read your manuals, kids.

Unfortunately, the timing cover gasket has a small leak now, so I need a new one of those so the bike doesn't piddle oil everywhere. It's snowing the next few days anyway.