Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Doctor Zero posted:

I rode it in to work today! I just couldn't take it anymore - I didn't care that it was 28 degrees. I grinned like an idiot the whole time.

Although it should be in the upper 40s coming home, so that's not bad.

My experience today, word-for-word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Shower
Bathtub

Do you have a Jacuzzi?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Replaced it.

Then:

Now:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Borrowed a trailer and brought it home* from Cleveland.

*"Home" = my dad's garage, until I get a cover. Catch-22: I could've built a garage with the money I spent on the bike.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I think I broke it :ohdear: (:lol: cruiser)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

DiscoKid posted:

It's been mid 30's to 40's here the last week with sunshine and dry roads, tempting me to take it out for a spin, but less than 72 hours ago some dude loving tanked his poo poo and killed himself because he was going too fast (and I assume, because there's still salt pilled (yes 'pilled' not 'piled') all over roads at random).

Learned that lesson last time I was out. Throttle pinned in 3rd climbing a big hill; when I reached the crest, I drifted into the center of the lane (between the tracks where car tires run). Wheelspin/death wobble/soiled shorts.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Imperador do Brasil posted:

wrecked it. some person in a ford explorer ran a stop sign and t-boned me. now i'm lying in a hospital bed with a broken hip and wondering what the bike looks like

drat. Here's hoping for a full recovery and a trip to the dealer with a fat insurance check.

4-1/2 quarts of Mobil 1, a NAPA oil filter that looks suspiciously like a Suzuki filter with a different label silkscreened on, and a pair of NGK Iridium IXs.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
"Hard Krome"? More like "Hard of Hearing" :haw:

Good riddance, you noisy, obnoxious bastards.

PO fuckery: broken 8mm bolt, drilled and tapped 1/4-20, and a too-long bolt with a stack of springlock washers.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bucephalus posted:

PO fuckery: broken 8mm bolt, drilled and tapped 1/4-20, and a too-long bolt with a stack of springlock washers.

Broke screw extractor.:cry:
Used Dremel tool with a small carbide burr to grind out broken tip of extractor, then carved away the remains of the broken bolt (which is probably what I should've done to begin with).
Chased threads.
Procured appropriate M8 bolt.
Installed stock exhaust.
Enjoyed a ride of more than 5 miles without my ears ringing.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
520 chain, 102 links.

Once you're on the road, let me know how the Challengers feel. Haven't ordered mine yet.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Jabs posted:

Too new a rider with a bike that's too new to me, and is so small it feels like a bicycle to me, anyway.

Prediction: They'll feel a lot like tires.

Understood.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yesterday: drilled and tapped the Twinstar's perches and installed stop screws so my wife can reach the levers with her tiny girly hands. Adjusted front brake switch, brake cable, and clutch cable accordingly.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Sneak preview:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Turn the key on and see how fast/far the voltage drops, and whether it stabilizes after turning it back off.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Gr3y posted:

Nighthawk carbs

BTDT with my 650; took me 2 days to figure out. Hang tight and I'll get back to you.

(Alternative: score some GSX750 carbs and throw those vacuum-piston motherfuckers away.)

E: Here ya go; lemme know if you need any other shots :)

Click here for the full 2034x1356 image.

Click here for the full 2034x1356 image.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 19, 2010

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^^Replace the washer. Copper or aluminum washers compress and deform to fill in irregularities and prevent leakage. Once compressed, they lose malleability. They're intended to be replaced any time the drain plug is removed.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Gr3y posted:

Not quite good enough for my dumb rear end.

Welp.

Let me compare/contrast your pics to the rack I've got and I'll try to hash out a coherent explanation of where/how everything goes.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Missed this the first time around:

Gr3y posted:

Also if I decide to buy another set of carbs are there any to keep an eye out for? I saw a set of Nighthawk carbs on eBay, but they're off a '93, so I don't know if they'll fit my '82.

According to the gang at CB1100F.net, Suzuki GSX-R750 carbs mount right up using (2) #1 and (2) #4 CB750 boots, and require minimal tuning.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Yep, '79-'82s were all 748cc DOHC. The stock airbox won't fit, but there are purportedly no issues with running pods. :can:

Working on your carb linkage, see some problems. :ohdear: There should be an aluminum fuel feed tube and a plastic tee that aren't isn't in your pics.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 9, 2010

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Nope, looking for this little dude:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Gr3y posted:

Check the diagram I posted above. I'm pretty sure that's the big brass tube thing on my carbs.

Are the ones you're refrencing the same keihins that are on my bike?

Same carbs, yep. The brass tee goes between carbs 1 & 2...you're gonna have to split 'em and put it in. :(

E: I'm off work tomorrow; I'll label your pics and add some of my own, then do a megapost. If anyone objects, just speak up and we'll take this to another thread. :)

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 9, 2010

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Okay, let's light this candle.

We've already taken care of D. G is just the choke cable clamp, it's screwed to the rear carb rail, like so:

Visible in the background is the plastic tee you're missing. The hose that attaches to the tee clips into the round notch next to the choke cable clamp.

C looks like one of the springs that goes between the throttle shafts on 1/2 or 3/4, like so:

Next up: B. The hole in it without a bushing fits onto rod 6. Pull the little cotter pin and remove the upper washer, spring, and bushing. There should be another washer under the bushing; it stays on. Then slide B over the rod so that the little tab and the side of the lever with the bushed hole are facing inward toward the carb. Reinstall the bushing (you've got it upside-down), spring, upper washer, and cotter pin.

The bushed hole in B aligns with threaded hole 9. Next comes spring E, which hooks around little boss number 10. Then lever F, with the the little roller doohickey riding on lever 13 and the notched end pointing toward rod 6 (see above photo). The other end of spring E hooks over lever F. You'll have to hook the spring on first and then rotate the lever counter-clockwise into alignment, putting the spring under tension. Then the whole B-E-F assembly is secured to the side of the carb with a screw theaded into 9.

Now with that out of the way, it's time to fit everything together. Tube 2 fits into hole 12, and tube 11 fits into hole 3. The plastic tee fits into rubber joints 4 & 8.

Now comes the fun part. The perpendicular hook on spring A latches onto the little tab on lever 13, and the parallel hook on the other end latches onto lever 1 (there's a little notch there). With carbs 2 & 3 fit together, the ends of the spring should align with each other. Once again, you'll have to get the spring attached first, than rotate the levers into alignment so that the spring is under tension. Alternatively, you may be able to get one end on and then pull the other end around with a small screwdriver or pick and hook it into place.

Now comes the real bitch. See that adjuster screw on lever 5? Under the spring are 2 washers. One of the washers goes under lever 7, and the other goes above it. You have to pry the 2 washers apart with a small screwdriver and slide the adjuster screw into the slot while keeping all of the tubes and linkages in proper alignment. Edit: The adjusters between 1/2 and 3/4 fit the same way; do you have them installed correctly? :ohdear:

Once you get that, hurry up and slap the rails back on before you bump it and it all falls back apart!

Good luck, please let me know if my camera and I can be of further assistance. :)

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 9, 2010

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Nighthawk: Sold it. :toot: The sale was contingent upon me delivering it, so I had a nice ride up ~40 miles of back roads. The tach needle may or may not have seen the redline on occasion. :ninja:

Intruder: Washed it. For the first time. In direct sunlight. I'm a bad cruiser owner.
Also took off the blingin' horn:

Stripped off the chrome shell, bent up a bracket out of a scrap of stainless, and remounted it all stealth-like inboard of the shifter, next to the battery box.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 17, 2010

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Jigsaw puzzle!

Headless enrichment plunger:

Bike Bandit to the rescue! San Diego to Ohio in 2 days.

New plunger installed:

And done:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Marv Hushman posted:

Pulled the cluster to do some spider eviction, contact cleaning and bulb replacement. I was a bit confused as to whether I'd replaced these bulbs before, but no longer. I would have remembered dismantling THE ENTIRE UNIT to perform the task.

The tach light on my Nighthawk was burned out when I got it, and stayed that way until I sold it. Screw that.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Wow, phenomenal work! I love the nakedness, and how the red frame really stands out in a sea of black. Well done. :golfclap:

:ninja: : New page, no content. Sorry.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
New Spitfire!

The old tire was showing some (un)healthy cracking, so I figured it was due for repl

:cry: JESUS CHRIST IT'S THE ORIGINAL loving TIRE :cry:

...I really should pay closer attention.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Crayvex posted:

I question your other mod of forward controls too. They are poo poo for handling. Why are you trying to make your bike handle like poo poo?

It's. A. loving. Cruiser. We're not all knee-draggers.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Waited by the mailbox for Mr. Postman to bring my registration sticker...no dice. Took the top and doors off the Jeep instead.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

:woop:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Forty Two posted:

Geirskogul posted:

Changed out my ancient (in both design and manufacture) rear tire for a new one. Traded an AVON SM MKII for a KENDA K671.

http://geirskogul.imgur.com/enfield_tire_change_2011
You definitely got your moneys worth out of that tire, drat

'07? That's nothing.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

pr0zac posted:

If you want to lose your faith in humanity, sit broken down on the side of the highway for a while watching thousands of people fly past.

That's the flip side of riding a sumo...they just know you're up to no good.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

It gets faster. The first time is always a birch changing tires :)

After that it's a sycamore.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Replaced the 105/107.5 mains with the correct 110/112.5, removed the 2 shims from under each needle, and reset the pilot screws to 2 turns out (they were at 3-1/2).

gently caress you, PO.

e: Also a sync, because I could see with my naked eye how far apart they were.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 10, 2011

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Crayvex posted:

Wires were a pain the rear end cause I had make em myself. I'm not real confident that the ends that connect to the coil will stay put. Still, it is running much better and it so longer missing!! Maybe tomorrow I'll electrical tape the piss out of them.

Next time, try these.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Fair enough.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Ola posted:

I moved from A to B at opposite sides of the city center recently. A and B are equally distant from C, my workplace, which is in the middle. The first day I walked to work we were called in to a meeting. "Guys, we need a bigger and better place, we're moving to point A".

Methinks BAGELBEABS* is luring you into a trap. :ohdear:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
My Twinstar won't redline* in top gear**. :(

*The red line on the speedo indicating shift points. There's no tach.

**4th

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

for anyone wondering how the wide world of sports you get that drat centerstand spring back on... here's how:

I knew that :c00lbert:

The real trick is to do that with the stand down, before you disassemble the bike. Fold the stand up and the spring falls right off. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Of all the available colors, you chose the one that most resembles a condom?