Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
When last we left the Bandit 7 months ago, it was in quite a state:

Here it is today:

-- New Continental ContiMotions, which were on closeout and thus marginally cheaper than the Shinko 006's I would have otherwise bought
-- New wheel bearings, F&R
-- New HH brake pads, F&R
-- New chain and sprockets, +1t in front to bring down the highway revs. There's more than enough power to overcome the steeper gearing.
-- Fresh oil and filter, which involved using a breaker bar to loosen the drain plug, as well as a small hammer, screwdrivers, picks, and wire cutters to dislodge the remnants of the (likely factory) crush washer.

Before having the tires mounted, I removed the rim tape and scrubbed/waxed the wheels. I also scrubbed the front rotors, and cleaned the sticky/seized buttons (which turned out to be all of them). In a rare moment of intelligence, I had stored the Corbin saddle indoors for the winter. I gave it some leather treatment and reinstalled it after washing and waxing the whole bike. The folks at D&D Exhaust were nice enough to send me a new silencer tag:

I bought the Bandit at the end of last June, and only put on a few hundred miles before the already-thin rear tire gave out (plus all the other deferred maintenance detailed above), and I had to mothball it for financial reasons. Looking forward to getting in a full season of riding this year. :)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Appropriate acronym

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Wee or Rex? I've lost track.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Thank you, Tropical Storm Barry. Thanks a ton.

Yeah, that's not good.

Tried cleaning off the corrosion with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush; no dice. The indicator lights and backlighting still work, but the dials and LCDs are dead. Guess I'm flying blind for a while.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Started and ran fine (albeit quite smoky for a minute or so). Broken LF indicator (which had been broken and patched before, nbd) and broken clutch lever.

I now park on a different spot in my driveway, and always on the centerstand when not on pavement.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

nadmonk posted:

So I got bored this morning and got the carbs off the Suzuki.
I need some insight on this.
The bowls came off the Mikuni without issues.
But this is what I found in one of the bowls:

The overflow tube that has that weird rubber/plastic thing on it is the bowl that just dumps gas.

It is pretty flexible:

I do also see that the float in that bowl will stick, but only all the way in the up position. At the bottom of its movement it seems to move freely and with the same "springiness" as the other floats.
Does anyone have any idea what that piece is or why it would be on the overflow tube?

The overflow tube is cracked and leaking. The PO put shrink tubing (or similar) on it to stem the tide. It may have worked for a bit, but not now.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
It's more fun when it happens at a stoplight.

*bike runs fine coming to a stop*
*carb runs dry waiting for light to change*
*light turns green, bike dies*

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Ooooh nice! What are size A/B/C, I wonder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
What a rollercoaster