Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Go/no-go tested my new bags, preparing a bit for my 1300+ miles trip to Norway next week. It would have been a good idea to test pack everything today as well, but I wasn't that smart...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blaster of Justice posted:

Gasoline is not that flammable. Igniting point at 1 atm is about 280-320°C. You can easily drop a burning cigarette in a jar filled with gasoline without igniting it.

I blame Hollywood for making people think that petrol explodes as soon as you look at it the wrong way.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Changed brake fluid, front and rear, the fluid for the hydraulic clutch and all brake pads on the CBR.

Very dark colour, the image doesn't really do it justice.

These are the pads from the rear. The upper one is the outer pad, it had nothing left of the pad itself, it was all backing plate. The inner pad wasn't really worn more than at most a millimetre compared to the new one.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

makka-setan posted:

Took a short but sweet first ride of the season. Hells yeah!

You're a braver man than me. I'm thinking, maybe next weekend. I've got to get the GSX to besiktning before April, so it's about time...

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 13, 2011

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Try flicking the killswitch off for a second while engine braking and then back on again. Should give you a healthy livestock-frightening bang :)

Required viewing if you're thinking about doing that; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlXVCVMr_pk

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
No one can fault the mans tenacity and lack of economical sense. This time it was just a probation though?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My problem this far has been not wanting to stop what I'm doing, lose momentum and gently caress up my camera.

This is me. Whenever I bring the camera before I change oil or adjust valves or whatever, I only remember I brought it when I'm all done and go :doh:

As for what I did on my bike today, I adjusted the chain on the SV. Of note is that the chain and sprockets are less than a week old, changed by the shop I bought it from (it's still under warranty). Yesterday I noticed that the chain was like a guitar string... :downs:

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 19, 2011

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I realised it's time to put them away for the winter. I haven't tried to fit my car in there yet, but I'm hoping it'll be fine...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Seems I'm basically alone in the world in thinking this but I think 4-2 exhausts look the best, even on modern bikes... v:shobon:v

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Piston after knocking like a pro.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Then wheelied it back into the garage.

That's what I thought it said at first glance...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have the same problem with my SV. If I use a tool to line up the chain, the alignment marks are off by one.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My eleven year old snowmobile has batteryless efi, I don't see what it should be so hard to put that on a bike?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Installed a legal tail light, blinkers front and back, plus mirrors. Maybe now it will actual pass the bi-annual vehicle inspection (all the things I mentioned are required for a motorbike to be road legal, I just seem to have lost them earlier).

The tail tidy from R&G Racing looks really nice.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Spreading like a virus. I ordered speedbleeders for the DRZ and the SV a couple of days ago.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Saga posted:

comes with a one-liter triple capable of 150hp.

Yeah, the problem with that engine is that it get nowhere near the official consumption. Official consumption combined is 4.9 litres/100km, in real life it seems to be 6.0 and upwards. And the highest output on the market right now is 125hp. That "International engine of the year" award probably cost them a pretty penny.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the 115hp 116d and the 143hp 118d is the same engine with different ECU programming.

And as for the EU cert fuel consumption process, it's because it simulates real life driving with (for example) blinding acceleration (0-70kph in 41 seconds) and then keeps it up with more real life driving (70-100kph in 35 sec). Yeah, that's real life driving for you.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Trick question. Duct tape is a legit repair method for anything/everything.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha, been there done that.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's true. I die at least once a week on my SV.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The only engines I would hesitate to use starter fluid on is two strokes.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KARMA! posted:

The BMW has a cool clutch that sits right smack dab in the middle of everything though. That's awesome as well.

Clutch replacement on a R1200GS. Step one::suicide:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tamir Lenk posted:

And some speed-bleeder valves.

gently caress yes. I put Speed Bleeders on everything I own, soo good.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Unlike the taller-than-stock Tommaselli bars that were on there when I got it, these are somewhat lower and don't make me feel like my upper body is pulled backwards when I accelerate hard.

But that's the best part about riding a Bandit?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

makka-setan posted:

Took it to the track. Somehow I had managed to neglect my brakepads for a long time and I got shot down in scruteneering. Luckily they had an on-site mechanic who fixed me up a new set on the spot. Not cheap, but cheaper than wasting a pre-paid track course.

SMC BKK Arlanda TT?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MotoMind posted:

Just to be clear, this all means I can get rid of my battery and starter and just use the ether and lighter I already carry around to start my bike?

Yes, but is it really advisable to ride your bike when your mind is unable to communicate with the spinal column?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh jesus, all this time you've been lamenting your exceptionally high bike prices, and it turns out bikes are cheaper in NZ than here in Sweden. :sigh:

Fake edit: The cheapest 2006 ZX14 I can find right now is :siren:12k:siren: NZD eqv...

I can get a 2001 VTR1000 for just 7k NZD though! :v:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Way back, a long time before I started riding a coworker bought some kind of not-road-legal ratty KTM that he rode to work on (this was the first time he did this). At the end of the day we all gathered around, ooing and aaaing, waiting for him to come walking out to, smug as smug can be.

And then he kicked the starter. And kicked. And kicked. And kicked. And so on, until someone started to snicker, which made him go "LETS SEE YOU DO IT THEN". And then this person tried for x times, and then someone else said "Step back you idiots, I've got this". And that guy didn't get it started either. I think five or six people tried, and of course the engine was completely flooded by now but none of us knew stuff like this. So he got a ride home from someone I guess, because the bike was still there the next day. By then the owner had read up on how to start it, and then it started in like two kicks. There was some "trick" to it, like one kick full choke, then the next no choke but half throttle and BAM.

I believe it was someone here who wrote something like, a kickstart bike will always start on the first kick when no-one is around, and it'll always be hard to start when anyone is looking.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There's not even a locknut, you loosen the whole bleed screw 1/4 turn and then you pump the brake until no bubbles come out, then close it. Done. I have speed bleeders on everything I own that has hydraulic brakes.

Edit: Ofc, KTM has their own original speed bleeder to accessorize your bike with. :v:

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 22, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Global Warming, Then Why is It Snowing So Much? Check mate Libtards! :smug:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Stainless zip ties should work great for that? Biltema, art nr 24391.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So which one is Slavvy in this example?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The original bar ends on the SV where scratched and bent to hell, so I went over to my Suzuki dealer to get some new ones. They cost 70 USD each.

These cost 7 bucks for two. Good enough.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Cycle Asylum: The beads are for your rear end.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Key sticking out of fork lock (which is unlocked), forks turned, key snapped off?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Almost every moped I've ever seen, and lots of older (70s or older) motorcycles has the same model of steering lock, so it's not like it's some great oddity. And they all have separate keys for the steering lock and the ignition, since the cylinder for the steering lock is mush smaller.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

They're H7s, right? People tend to overlook that both high and low beams are 55W, they're just aimed differently.

Having separate bulbs and reflectors for high and low beams is a massive upgrade from a single H4 in a single reflector. Plus, they seem to last longer, and you can swap them in emergencies as you mentioned.

Funny, in my experience the low beam H7s last a lot shorter than H4s ever did. Might have something to do with different housings and poo poo I guess.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Extra fun is the Peugeot 107/Citroen C1/Toyota Aygo thing. All three are being made by the same people, in the same factory, from the same components, only with some badge engineering done. They're the same loving car! And yet the Aygo consistently ranks much higher, and the C1 lower, than the 107 in all reliability rating I see.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well tbqh I think that the first model there is one of the, if not THE, ugliest fenders imaginable on a bike.

You did good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
LASIK fo life yo. (Or something has gone very, very wrong I guess?)