Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Bike maintenance day! For three bikes.

Start with a wash and rinse

Take that tank off because the throttle cable needs replacement

Did I say the throttle cable was bad?

Uh the oil on the old KTM is umm concerning

Looking better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
No just the KTM

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That was oil & filter change on the Kawasakis, oil change on the KTM, clean and oil air filters, change broken brake lever on the 300, throttle cable on the KTM, plus chain cleaning/lubing, and adjustments to the handguards since they're bent to hell

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 20, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My heated grips are the opposite of "blingy"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Where do stickers for my top box fall on the farkle scale?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

FBS posted:

. Who knew 80mph in 50 degree weather could be so comfortable...

That was the most surprising thing for me when I started riding my VStrom. So comfy and warm!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Is there noticeable play in the head bearings?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Weird how bicycle geometry makes it almost effortless

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I took my Monkey out for a ride. It's been a while. That bike is so much fun.

That's all I did. No wrenching.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 12, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Wow that's fantastic

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The two most used things on my VStrom: heated grips and center stand.

Maybe it's the barn door windshield, idk

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I've got a set of 1/2 inch impact sockets from HF some years ago. Those are pretty nice and have never given me the impression they are poorly made.
Most of my sockets are remnants of the Craftsman kit I got as a wee young fella right before I got married. Good name then, dog poo poo now.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I find the sparkling oil much more soothing to look at than the concentrated wear evidence at the end of a magnetic drain plug, but that's just me.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 10, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's all about the bike friends you made along the way

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I sold my old KTM 250 EXC today. It had a bunch of problems but was a great bike for me.

I told the buyer about every single problem I've ever had with the bike and what the current problems are. When he asked why I was selling it I told him I was tired of fixing it.
He still paid me full asking price $1100), which seemed low based on the fb messages I got about it but whatever. It runs and rides but needs fork seals, wheel bearings, and the PVs are hosed again to where top end power is non-existent.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 26, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I filled up the VStrom and the Monkey on the same day.
45 mpg vs 99 mpg

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I did similar. Washed the VStrom and Monkey, cleaned, adjusted, and oiled their chains.
Oiled up the filters for the KLX300 and the new KX250 and installed those back in.

Cut a poo poo load of firewood the rest of the weekend

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
After two days of monkeying to work, I switched back to the VStrom. What a contrast!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
In 2021 I found some warehouse in Utah that sold OEM service manuals reasonably cheap. I. Think I paid $50-$60 for my Monkey manual. It's a very nice manual and I like stocking things like this with the bike/in the garage

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

moxieman posted:

Having responsibility for the print shop, hr services, and payroll departments at my company, can confirm. No one gives a poo poo about your document unless it consumes multiple cases of paper.

So no BMW service manuals then

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Ooof. Rope will work in a pinch without causing that kind of damage

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
KLX300R hit 100 hours / 2 years. Time for some cleaning and a new spark plug. I had recently changed the oil.
Polished the exhaust can somewhat, cleaned everything real good. I had the airbox out and disassembled it to really get all the sand out.
Unseated every connector, blew the dust out, some fresh dielectric, reseat.

Bent exhaust hanger. I whacked it straight.

Looks pretty good!

Still needs a valves check and new drive components (sprockets, chain) but I gotta order parts. I'm not good at planning.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My Monkey has a lock for helmet cables

I bought a cheap take off top case for the VStrom. There's a crack, I had to drill holes, but it's solidly mounted now and it just makes my commute a little easier. I can leave the side cases at home AND I have a place to store my helmet.
Also dad-bikefication complete I guess

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Well that's certainly better than stopping at the bottom of the Alps for bumping it

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Also can you please tell us what happens when you meet a stranger in the Alps?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Level 2 Automotive speed charger

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I got this guy for the OEM lithium battery in my new KX

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I went on another trip to the Oregon Dunes with my boys - Coos Bay this time.
Got back yesterday, so today I worked on cleaning up the new KX250. Also did the 3rd oil change and the engine is at 18 hours now.

Still two bikes to go.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The instructions in my '22 KX250 cover quite a lot of maintenance items

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Busy day for zip tie supremacy

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
This was pretty easy and surprisingly solid. I do have new plastics on order and this was/is intended to be a temporary solution but tbh - it's so sturdy that I'm not going to put the new piece on it until this old one actually bites it

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I left my ride in the garage today because it's pouring buckets. Standing water on road ways.

Anyways, yesterday I fixed the front brake on the KLX300R.
Took it out and after only 2.6 miles, kid slid into a tree + rock and busted the flywheel cover. About 80% of the engine oil ended up on the trail right there.
My bad for not putting the skid plate back on yet.
The new cover is ordered and at $170 + $20 for the gasket isn't too bad, but drat. Once again my laziness costs me money.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

opengl posted:

Gave up on finding a set of Angel GTs in A Spec for the FJR, they just don't exist right now and I'm guessing won't until the spring, so I splashed out for a set of Road 6 GTs. They are a massive improvement over the cupped and worn Contis that came on it.

Oh that reminds me, I saw dry rot on my Vee's front tire.
Any recommendations for a good front tire for Pacific Northwest riding? Asphalt only.
I've got a Battlax 32 or something on the rear. It's got a bit more life, only 5400 miles

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
both of my wheels are the exact same shade of road grime

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Small general maintenance items today, but they add up on multiple bikes:

KX250, Oil, filter, air filter change and wash. Cleaned and adjusted chain. Gave it a good wash.

Monkey: cleaned, oiled, adjusted chain. Cleaned the bike and topped it off with ethanol free premium.

VStrom: cleaned, oiled, adjusted chain and cleaned the bike.

Did similar things on the wife's Outback. Now I'm tired.

Might buy a new helmet later today

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Whelp I bought a Shoei RF1400 at Cyclegear tonight after riding there with my kid who just got his endorsement. Such a nice and comfy and quiet helmet.
I tried on a couple others but ultimately settled on the Shoei.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Goddammit Cyclegear, hurry up with my tire please

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Mmmh I noticed the wood slices right under the exhaust piping probably aren't the best for holding the bike up, especially since these motherfuckers won't have my wheel done until Monday.

Corrected situation:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Fun stuff.

All I did to my ride today was 45 miles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
57 degrees F here even at 4:30am but it's raining pretty good. I think I'll still ride to work.