Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I prefer cursing in the dark, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Tire time for the KLX300. That's about 60 -70 hours of trail use.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm working on putting my V-Strom back together after a fried stator.
I present the dumbest gasket packaging I've ever come across

It's sitting on a backing off cardboard but then the top layer is adhesive plastic. It's a careful chore to get the gasket out without damage.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My VStrom is back together and seems to work fine again. 14.3V at the battery with the engine running.
However, I lost the tank pivot bolt :(
IDK how I managed to lose literally the largest bolt in this entire job.
So now the bike has a 1/4" SS shoulder bolt courtesy of the local farm supply store there instead. I'm going to hell.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm hoping it falls out when I get it off the center stand and out of the garage. Too rainy today though

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I work on extremely expensive wafer fab equipment. I assure you, we use a mix of metric and SAE. :patriot:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That's fine. Less insulation means less air resistance, which is important in electrical circuits if I remember correctly

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Cold and snow this weekend. I think it may be a good opportunity to check the valve clearances on the KLX140 (150 hours? I really don't know), KLX300R (~140 hours), and KX250 (45 hours).

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

shacked up with Brenda posted:

Unless they start poorly I wouldn't.

They start and run great. I just get really nervous ignoring regular maintenance intervals

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Cold and snow this weekend. I think it may be a good opportunity to check the valve clearances on the KLX140 (150 hours? I really don't know), KLX300R (~140 hours), and KX250 (45 hours).

I got around to this job this weekend. Last weekend was too cold in the garage.
The 300R had the intake at ~0.005" and the exhaust at ~0.007", at around 150 hours and two years.
The KX has ~45 hours and both intake valves were at 0.005" and both exhaust valves were at 0.007".

Both bikes are at the upper limit of allowable tolerance. I'll check again in 15-20 hours.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It was nice and sunny here but cool. I don't really stop riding in the Portland area unless there's snow/ice.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

2Fast2Nutricious posted:

I went to reinstall my battery that I had on a tender and promptly lost the nut holding one of the leads in the bowels of whatever is below the battery cradle. :bahgawd:

It's next to the 10mm socket

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
A new T32 for the VStrom is getting put on/balanced rn. I got almost exactly 9000 miles out of the old one.
I thought I could maybe get a few more miles out of it but then I compared it to the new tire and felt very bad.

Edit: dang my tire guy must have been bored today, he did both the VStrom wheel and a paddle tire swap on my kids KLX140 wheel in 15 minutes, $77 total. Good deal for him, good deal for me. 2 minutes from my house, open on the weekend, super fast

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 30, 2024

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

:smugdog:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Pulled the wheels off the ER6N, new tires at my local shop today

Edit: I wish I could upload a picture to imgur, but the 3rd party upload app is broken, the awful app uploader doesn't work, and imgur app and website both refuse

Maybe later

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 4, 2024

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I did the brake pads on the VStrom last weekend. Pads had material left but it looked glazed and didn't work all that well. Braking is much better now.

I'm getting a new chain and sprocket kit to my door today and it's high time. 30k miles and I'm pretty sure it's the original chain. I'm limited out on adjustment and it's still loose, making noise.

Next up after that is fork seals. Not looking forward to loving around with those.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Uh when are the valve checks due. It's 25k miles right?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I changed sprockets and chain on the VStrom. The old set was horrible, I now realize. It might even be the OEM set (30k miles).

The pins are just wrecked. Each link can move 1-2 mm away from the next link.
There was a decent amount of metal dust under the front cover. The front sprocket seems to be missing a lot of meat.
And what do you know, the ride quality improvement is loving amazing. Super quiet and smooth now. It had been making loads of noise, surging, very jerky power delivery and engine braking.
All better now.

Now I need to figure this bullshit out next. I know the fork seals are leaking, but so are the calipers.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I run mine until it looks like a japanese woodcut of a wave. If you run it past that you get built-in traction control.

See the one I posted last page for what's too much wear

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
In the US, inspection requirements can differ even in the same state. The Portland Metro area requires inspections (mostly for exhaust I think?) but the county I live in just south of there doesn't.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phy posted:

ZRX1100

:swoon:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I just bought a cheap Casio on eBay for that purpose myself!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
More bike maintenance. 6 bikes are cool and all but the maintenance oh God

Oil+ filter change on KLX140 and a new spark plug because I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. It had sat for a couple months but I'm happy to report that I had just forgotten this bike has a fuel valve :downs:

Oil+ filter change, clean air filter, new plug, and full chain and sprocket kit for the KX250. Only 55 hours on it but man the dunes sure did a number on it. The chain is loving wrecked. I cleaned and lubed it regularly.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 21, 2024

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Another weekend of bike maintenance.
Washed all three dirt bikes and cleaned their air filters.
I took inventory of all the missing bolts. Seriously, each bike loses at least one bolt per ride. I didn't want to spend $25 again on a small box of bolts from my local dealership. Good bolts but only half of them are useful. So I went to a local store that I assumed had a decent hardware isle. No, gently caress you, the already very small stainless metric section had mostly empty bins. Caved and ordered exactly the bolts I need, in quantity, from Amazon. Should be here today and maybe by then the air filters are dry so I can oil/reinstall them and put all the plastics back on.

Also while lubing cables and articulation points, I noticed that the throttle hangs at wide open on the KX250. I thought it was the bent bark busters. Straightened that out in a vice, but throttle still stick at WOT position.
I took it apart, lubed both cables, cleaned and dried the throttle tube and put it back together. Seems fine now? Should this be lubed with something? It's just plastic riding on the handlebars

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Ugh my VStrom s headlight is completely dead this morning. This has caused me the greatest grievance of all - having to take my car to work*

My 30 seconds of googling show this is a very common issue. I've looked it up before because occasionally I'll have one of the bulbs go dim, but that's resolved by reseating the bulb connector.
This time, both sides are out, no high beam, and no high beam indicator light. The blinkers on the same harnesses work fine, tail light works fine.
The Internet thinks the issue is related to Suzuki's brilliant idea to route the headlight current directly through the switch rather than a relay. But the switch only controls hi beams?
Also the PO left me loads of maintenance records and there was one of those relay upgrades in there to fix this specifically.

Guess I'll get to troubleshoot wiring issues with bonus PO fuckery.

*it's a nice comfortable ride and I'm thankful to have options available to me

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I traced my VStrom 's dead headlights to a connector with oxidized contacts. I sanded those lightly and cleaned them up. Lights work again.
On a whim I decided to do the fork seals while I'm here. It's been spraying fork oil all over the fender and radiator/engine for a few thousand miles now. Fork seals showed up overnight and the one seal driver that I do have is the correct size.
Those forks are a lot easier to work on than the WP's from an 01 KTM 250. I got both of them done pretty quickly. The old seals were indeed shot and the old oil looked nasty.
Now I just need to put everything together again

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

I hope the weather clears for a test ride

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It is sitting on the center stand, it's just hidden behind the jack stand. That and the pump Jack are only keeping the front from tipping down.

I've put about 100 miles on it now and the forks are still clean. I'll call that a success.
Now I need to do something about the front right brake caliper that's leaking. I already have the rebuild kit because I suspected as much but wasn't 100% sure what with the fork seals spraying a similar fluid all over the place

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TotalLossBrain posted:

It is sitting on the center stand, it's just hidden behind the jack stand. That and the pump Jack are only keeping the front from tipping down.

I've put about 100 miles on it now and the forks are still clean. I'll call that a success.
Now I need to do something about the front right brake caliper that's leaking. I already have the rebuild kit because I suspected as much but wasn't 100% sure what with the fork seals spraying a similar fluid all over the place

Turns out the calipers are not leaking at all. Fork is still clean and dry. I'll consider the issue closed.
Next up is an oil change.