Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Put some knobbly-ish tyres on my WR125X. It might have involved pinching a tube and then paying someone else to change one of the tyres.

Now to go explore some lanes as long as we're not locked down!

Megabook fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

They made a 125cc WRx supermoto?! That owns so hard. Bet it's heckin flickable.
It's my first bike, so hard to say, but it is good fun.

It's one of the few 125s that don't feel cramped for a 6'2" rider! Maybe someone needs to setup an exchange program where we send WR125Xs to the US in return for DR650s.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Made a bigger heat sheild for the exhaust. I'm going camping tomorrow and my paniers kept ending up touching the silencer. Still on the list: check/adjust chain tension.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

I hope you used lots of bearing grease, no copper grease, and protip while we're here: get a file and chamfer your lower pad edges, it'll make taking the wheel/brakes on and off a million times easier!
Whats the bearing grease for? The backs of the pads? Mine were slathered in copper grease by the PO and I'm pretty sure it contaminated the pads leading to my crappy braking.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Everything is copper greased on my bike by the PO so every time I remove a screw it is a case of working out if it should be there or not. Engine mount bolts brake caliper bolts, the screws holding the switch gear to the handle bars, side stand bolts. If PO took it off it got greased :(. I think I've removed most of the stuff they fitted so hopefully I've cleaned most of it off.

A friend had recommended not greasing the axle to stop crap getting stuck to it, but so far I've just put it on clean rags if I remove it. It was a battle to get out even greasy, so that's not getting cleaned off.

Thanks!

In terms of stuff I did to my bike, I replaced the handlebars with ones which didn't stop with 1cm of the grips flapping in the breeze and fitted some bar end weights.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
My minor in my on-road (Mod 2) test was for indicating right to move into the right-hand lane to go straight on at a crossroads, then forgetting to cancel my indicator. I went straight across while indicating right. I noticed once past the crossroads and assumed I had failed, the only reason I didn't was that the crossroads was traffic light controlled so I didn't affect any other traffic.

In the offroad (Mod 1, need to pass before you can do Mod 2) test there was someone who had been riding for about 10 years on a CBT each day to commute and he had failed the Mod 1 four times. He just couldn't get his head around the hazard avoidance maneuver. He would either go to slow, or not clear the hazard. I think he just didn't trust his brakes. It's a pain that we have to go through quite a bit to get our full licenses, but I think it serves a purpose.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Today I made no progress on my bike. It had different keys for the ignition, seat and fuel cap when I got it. I bought a replacement set of seat lock, fuel cap and ignition switch cheap from eBay , delivered from China (uh oh). I've already fitted the fuel cap and seat lock, which are fine. But after I fitted the ignition key I found it had a weird fault., The switch operates in reverse from the steering lock. So ignition on = steering locked and ignition off = steering unlocked. WTF? I can't see anything I could have done wrong, but how do you get that wrong when manufacturing it?

So, the old ignition switch has gone back on and I am still at two different keys. It's scary to realize it only takes two Allen key bolts to pop the ignition switch and steering lock off though. No wonder bikes go missing so easily.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
It's a gen 1 sv650, there are 6 wires on the ignition switch.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
In all fairness a genuine fuel cap on it's own costs more than I paid for the full set, and both the fuel cap and seat lock have been fine.

Why am I defending this pile of crap? I have wasted at least 2 hours of my life dicking about with it...

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
The 22mm allen key is usually called a spindle key in the UK and maybe other places and common as muck anywhere that sells motorcycle stuff. I'm not sure where you are but hopefully searching for spindle key might help.

edit. Sorry if that is teaching you to suck eggs, but you never know!

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I bought a new one! The only semi-decent pictures I have are from the ebay advert

I took it home on a trailer as it's not got an MOT. I think the PO was underselling it, but he seemed happy...

So far, I've noticed the brake light is always on and there is an intermittent issue with one indicator bulb, which both need fixing for the MOT. I'm hoping to have it on the road sometime next week. Fingers crossed.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Or that rubberized grip mat stuff.

Re load limits, I pick the back of my DRZ up by the rack, so I think there's quite a bit of wiggle room in there. That said, I'll probably just break the rack off next time I try it.

I had a car battery in the top box of my WR125 once. That rode a bit funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Haha, I had the same on my VFR this year. Couldn't find a long enough screwdriver to adjust it so he just said sod it, it's passed.