Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Actually, the local shop by me sells tires at cost, and actually undercuts the internet. They make money on mounting and balancing only.

Apparently business is pretty good because now they get all the tires in for mounting and balancing that people bought online, plus the ones they sell at the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh no sir, you wont like that bike that for all I know you could be here to purchase.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All of the flat metallic colors that kawi did in that era are gorgeous, I'm honestly surprised no other companies copied that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

slidebite posted:

Same here. Couple of pics just for interests sake:

Right hand side, standard bolts and locations circled:

Left side. Socket heads and different spot. Bottom one was very small. Actually same size of socket head as the pad pin.

If you look that small bottom bolt is actually a pivot for some sort of anti-dive system that is applied with the force of the caliper being pushed forward when you apply the brakes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Sorry I left a CnB imprint sitting on it when it wasnt fully dry.

I too sit on my balls

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

*Hopefully before the end of the year I'll be on a Bandit 1250.

Welcome to the world of torque :getin:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Headlight is all

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There really is a ton of room in there

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Thank you for this. I'm grinning ear to ear.
Once it get it out and broken in I'll try and record some 8k rpms. 5000rpm is really where the fun begins.

My 1977 CB750 was the first bike I bought. It was perfect. It's a little bit more expensive, and difficult than a twin (there's about twice as many parts to buy basically), but I never regretted it.

The SOHC motors are so incredibly simple and there's such a wealth of info and support that it's a perfect first bike to wrench on.

If you want to get a head start, head on over to http://forums.sohc4.net/

If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Has the SOHC world figured out how to stop that drat headgasket leak yet?

That was the thing that annoyed me the most about my old CB750

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Let me know how that Red Kote comes out. I'm really curious how it stacks up to POR15.

I can tell you red kote beats POR15. POR15 isnt bad, but having done them both, the red kote is much easier to apply and clean up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On my B12 you could get the rack of carbs out of the engine before you had to take the throttle cables off, if you took them out of the right side of the bike.

Is that not the case with the 600?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mods namechange to Olde Weird Pro Tip, please

As long as you didnt order the Edge 2, the Edge should bolt right up to the stock DRZ mount points.

Did you order it from wheeling cycle?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Resource posted:

I got it from Thumpertalk, since I wanted some other stuff from them as well. Is that good? :ohdear:

Thats fine, I was just wondering. The original Edge has mounting points to mount right up to all the non-E DRZ's. The Edge 2 is universal and the one that works on the E's

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

And one day you will own a bike that isn't a boring piece of poo poo.

Do you even ride anything anymore or do you just come here to poo poo on other peoples bikes

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 28, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gnaghi posted:

^^^^^Stuff like this is why I don't play the riding game. It's more fun just doing my own thing on the bike than running around looking for landmarks or completing random as hell tasks.

Our riding game is not nearly that specific, and the challenges are mostly things you can do while out riding.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gnaghi posted:

Yeah there are a bunch of things people have done, from duct tape to bedliner to dynamat. I just have to pick one.

Every few weeks a thread pops up in the DRZ section of thumpertalk along the lines of "HELP I INSTALLED A SKID PLATE AND MY ENGINE IS NOW MAKING THIS HORRIBLE SCREAMING NOISE".

Apparently its both the engine noise being reflected off the plate, and the vibration of the plate itself.

The DRZ dudes recommend dynamat, but I cant see why bedliner wouldnt work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LOL @ that steering damper mount. Look how far that threaded piece sticks out from the skinny little mount. The first good twist of the forks is going to bend the poo poo out of that mount.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev, just because the highschool kid works for free in exchange for credits towards his shop class doesnt mean he has to be your head welder.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Took the battery out of it and put it on the battery tender :smith:

Its drat cold here

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The 675 doesnt come with a better rear shock from the factory than the CBR does?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you use a backing plate it would be OK

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Took it apart to paint it. Can you imagine how many welds there are in there :supaburn:

I'm starting to think that thing is actually welded well and someone went over the good welds with birdshit welds to troll CA.

Who are the lucky guys who get to put their lives in that awesome welders hands?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dont even need to pull the seat to do battery things on a DRZ :catbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oy, well, good luck!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get in there with a toothpick, man

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The scoring on the top of the piston suggests that something rattled around in there for a bit at least. I dont think thats valves since the hole is basically in the center of the piston, and you can see the reliefs towards the front and back of the piston, where the valves actually are, in the head.

Thats not synonymous with a lean burn through either, as those tend to look like someone sandblasted a hole in the piston.

My guess is you either sucked something in, or lost a chunk of sparkplug maybe?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Clubmans were literally designed so that you could get yourself into a racing tuck on what would otherwise be a standard bike frame set up for general purpose use, way back in the 1950s and 60s. If with your new clubmans you are scrunched up like this guy

Also, clubman bars stated life as normal bars flipped upside down

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bucephalus posted:

Old and busted vs. new hotness:

Good call getting rid of the silver buttons

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol @ calling the sv650 cluster lovely

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

I owned one and found the LCD display utterly useless, same with my ZX10. It's also ugly.

I mean, it displays the speed in big chunky numbers, temp and various distances, along with errors in smaller numbers, what more do you want? It also has an analog tach in 1k rpm increments as God intended.

Also in sv650 speedo news, I sort of want one of these: https://youtu.be/H76nNSTEA2c

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

I want a speedo that isn't a hard to see LCD display perpetually lagging behind what I'm actually doing is what I want.

I too monitor and adjust my speed multiple times per second.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

The angular relationship between the tach and speedo needles are my gear position indicator :colbert:

I've actually gotten to that point on some bikes with analog attach and speedo, it's kinda nice

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like that fairing, it's just enough 80's without being obnoxious

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

N is for Nipples posted:

(not my photo)

I really do like the look of 'em, and it's a decent solution to my high-mount problem. I'll also probably be one of the first people in history ever to re-install their stock rear fender.

This is amazing

I've also left the fender on the back of my SV, and I'm also in the "it's really not too bad looking" boat, which is a boat I was sure I was alone in until this post.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don't usually take exception with oem fenders unless they're really bad, like Drz-sm bad, with the big clunky light

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HotCanadianChick posted:

Got a source for cheap fenders? The lovely tiny turn signals on the rear hardly peek around the license plate (and are smashed up regardless), I'm definitely interested in getting a stock SV fender and lights setup to return it to functionality. :haw:

Mine came with the stocker, so I've never looked, but I have to imagine you could get one cheap on eBay, or even for shipping on svrider.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"Yeah, I bust 3, 4, sometimes up to 6 headlights a week. This tape keeps my cleanup time down to minutes"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also pee and poop in it, yknow, if you want

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Vintage Italian electrics: Too Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Put in Dr. Pulley slider weights and also got some toilet paper on the shakedown run

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 3, 2016