Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I don’t know, I hear bad things about carb bucket mentality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Are there seriously still SAE bits on US domestic vehicles?

I’ve been working on my cars for like 30 years now and never had occasion to use the SAE half of my tools other than for spark plugs and hose clamps (1/4”). I honestly thought it was a thing of the past except for boutique brands like H-D.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

cursedshitbox posted:

Yes. Seatbelt anchor bolts [...] carved by drunks.
Well as long as it's nothing important.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Congrats! … did it need it?

I have this problem on long trips where I get really inside my head and become convinced that something on my bike is going wrong. I start to think my clutch cable feels like it’s fraying (I carry a spare now), or that I can see oil smoke in my exhaust, or that my stator has gone out. Last year I was halfway between Ely and Tonopah when I became convinced my clutch was slipping. The clutch had 70,000 miles on it and I didn’t know how it’d been ridden for the first 20k, so it was plausible enough to my road-addled brain. I spent the next 1,000 miles of that trip doing as little slip as possible, got home, bought new plates, pulled the old ones out, and they were still at factory thickness.

It was still fun to change them, and I don’t worry about my clutch anymore.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Putting it in this thread since the above posts are here...

Last weekend I did a camping out-and-back from Denver to Roswell, because it was as far as I could get before sundown-ish. I have a bunch of moto-camping gear but haven't camped below freezing before.

I left Denver at 4am (-4C) wearing everything I had and went 100 miles before realizing no, it wasn't my imagination, my right grip heater wasn't working.

Hit an important milestone along the way; 2/3 of the way to a new engine:

World's saddest campfire on the bluffs east of Roswell:

Woke up at 5am, I'd started the night feeling warm but the cold had caught up with me too much to sleep more. Popped my head and arm out of the bivvy bag for this pic:

6am Mood. (Got the pic to show my gear all frost-covered but it didn't really show)

I came all this way, might as well get a pic to prove it:

I originally planned on doing the WSMR museum and swinging down to El Paso but I didn't feel like spending another night on the road so I powered through to Denver with all my gear at max wattage and wearing 4 gloves on my right hand.

SpotWalla map link

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Looking at my post I know someone's going to wonder how you wear four gloves on one hand. Here's the solution for a nighttime trip across Colorado without losing feeling in your hands:

• Nitrile gloves, always pack these for chain/greasy work, for a bit of emergency hand-heat, or if your glove gets soaked through
  • Klím Liner 1.0 (yes I'm doing the áccent)
  • Klím Badlands Gore-Tex are amazing 3-season gauntlets
  • Aerostitch Triple Digit glove covers are packed with my rain gear, are annoying to wear, but better than frostbite. This is the second time these have saved me.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Luckily I always pack a candle, there’ve been a few times bike-camping when I needed a long-lasting source of low heat (like for warming my oil pan and battery-area on a below-freezing morning, or having a way to warm hands when working on the bike).

I never thought to put it in my boot, though.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Aw dang, my nighthawk has a pink $10 Justice watch strapped to the handlebar. I thought I was so unique!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Congrats on having a seemingly decent PO.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
When this baby hits 80 miles per hour you’re going to lose some serious poo poo.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

FBS posted:

All my luggage has had a 80mph limit and none of it has come off despite repeated trips to 100ish

Yeah it’s almost certainly CYA and I wouldn’t worry about it unless you have the luggage straight up directly in the airstream somehow.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Even better to just tie the two wires together. The downsides of having the switch outweigh the upsides IME.

It’s almost completely useless on my Honda which allows starting in neutral without clutch, since the false neutral on it was bad enough that I could never trust it anyway without clutching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Invalido posted:

I adjusted almost all of the slack out of the clutch cable on my sv. It shifts noticeably smoother now and I feel like an bonehead for not doing this sooner. A happy bonehead though.

Make sure that it doesn’t tighten up when your engine is warm. May be just my particular air-cooled Honda but the slack noticeably shrinks between a cold (0C) and warm (100C) engine. Not sure what the cause might be, it can’t be the cable shrinking (it’d lengthen if anything) so probably something changing shape or properties nearer to the basket.