Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Replaced the OEM exhaust and ECU on my 06 F4i with an 01 exhaust and ECU (no cat mod). Had to construct a bracket due to the passenger footpeg position changing on the 04-06 models. Bike runs great, engine braking is less harsh now and it feels good WOT.

Here's a pic of the bracket my friend made for it.

xd fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xd
Sep 28, 2001

Cleaned and lubed my chain... the right way. Surprised how much easier it was to clean using kerosene and gear oil over spray cleaner and lube. Way less messy too. Any idea how to get light rust spots off the side of the chain?

xd
Sep 28, 2001

2ndclasscitizen posted:

That is fantastic! What sort of tank is that? That's one problem with cafe'd Sportsters for me, the tanks never look right.

Here's some back story on the green cafe sportster, with links to the build information

http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2010/11/17/harley-sportster-cafe-racer.html

xd
Sep 28, 2001

Sounds like it's time to get your own place

xd
Sep 28, 2001

Just treat the hoses going into it as drain/breather hoses. The canister just filters emissions from your gas tank and crank case AFAIK.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

My new bike has a sticker saying I should use minimum 90 octane gas. I put in some 89 this weekend. Is it going to explode? :ohdear:

xd
Sep 28, 2001

90w gear oil is what most manufacturers recommend and if applied correctly, won't make a mess. It's also cheap and available at any auto parts store.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

f4i's don't have carbs silly :)

You mean an f4 right?

xd
Sep 28, 2001

That makes me want to safety wire everything on my bike.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

Rear brake usage is so controversial!

Look at it this way and it will keep you out of trouble:

Front Brake = Gross speed adjustment
Rear Brake = Fine speed adjustment

Rear break is very useful for low speed maneuvers. I have also used it (very lightly) when cornering to smooth out the throttle lash. I think it's worth practicing with, the key is to learn to not over apply it.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

How hard is it to change the rear spring?

xd
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah, keep on truckin', I'm going to keep riding this season unless there's ice on the roads or it's in the teens. I got some bar mitts that look totally dope.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

Why not use a relay?

xd
Sep 28, 2001

Lubed my clutch cable and moved my levers down a bit. After a 2 hour ride in stop and go traffic yesterday my hand was killing me, now it's so much easier to pull the clutch in. Night and day difference.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

Installed woodcraft clipons and relocated the reservoir. I'm digging the clear tubing.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

Moved my rearsets up a position..

What's wrong with the stock shock on the 675? Too much compression?

xd
Sep 28, 2001

It's probably a little late in the season to fully enjoy them, but I put some oxford heated grips on the gixxer. I ordered the "sport" version with the diamond tread expecting it to be squishy like most sport grips. They are most definitely not. The inside part of the grips is hard plastic and the outside is a hard rubber. Also, if you put the grips on high for 5 minutes before you install them, it really helps get them on easier. As far as performance, they get really warm. Too hot to hold onto with bare hands warm, so job well done!

I had to dremel quite a few plastic nubs and collars off the stock throttle tube to fit the grips. What the hell Suzuki?

xd
Sep 28, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

edit3: and then there was an 09 motor in my 06 chassis.

Your bike is pregnant...

Seriously though, that oil pan is massive.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

screwdriver through filter crew represent

xd
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah, same here. I try to do everything I possibly can myself. The shop I bought my bike from used an impact tool to put the steering head nut on my bike. Even with a breaker bar I couldn't budge it. I just took it over there and had them remove it and re-torque it to the correct 60 ft/lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xd
Sep 28, 2001

Impressive. I've never seen a two screwdriver job before.

Screwdriver bros 4 life.