Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Over the past three days, I've been tearing into that 08 KLR that tried killing me last year and pulling off broken bits.
So far the upper, and both side cowlings, both engine covers, handlebars, front turn signals, left peg and bracket and the ones that made me gasp, a new fan($280) & radiator($585). I'm pretty sure I can salvage the gas tank by bending the plastics attachment points and doing some sanding and painting since it's going to be covered there.

Saturday I took a torch to the shifter lever and bent it back from it's post wreck V shape, put it back on and rode it around the block a few times without the plastics, headlight and left peg.
Also, drilled out the plug and adjusted the pilot screw, drilled out the hole in the slide to 7/64 and shimmed the needle in the carb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Z3n posted:

You should be able to find some used replacement parts for a fair bit cheaper than 600$ for the radiator and 300$ for the fan. Hell, I've got a few fans floating around if you feel like doing a little wiring.

Believe me, I'm looking around. I found a set of footpegs and Engine cover fairings for cheap yesterday, if I want a Frankenbike I could get those green cowlings from ebay too. The problem is it's an 08 KLR and there aren't too many parted ones out there yet, if it had been an 07, I bet the whole project wouldn't cost over $400, since most anything from the mid 80's to 07 would fit. The radiator was one of the things they upgraded for 08, smaller, lighter and a different shape.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Being on good terms with the local hardware store owner has it's perks. Went there to see about getting a chain breaker and he only had the one he uses in his shop. He said go ahead and use it if you can get it back today. He's a good guy, rides an 82 or 83 Silverwing and the kid that works for him has a V30 Magna, we BS about bikes every time I go in there and a 5 minute trip there & back usually ends up taking about a half hour.

Got this chain and sproket set: http://www.sportbikesolutions.com/product_info-cPath-122_224_451_454-products_id-4214/ex_500_94_07_stock_plus_chain_sprocket_kit.htm

Had to dremel grind some of the chain rivet heads off so the breaker would Stay on target, Stay on target!
Put on the new sprokets, stock/ 1 up on the back, and used the C-clamp/flange tool to press the rivet on the X-ring chain.

The cush coupling was pretty sloppy, so I cut squares to fit from an old innertube and rubber cemented them onto it, so far it seems like it's working well.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I put that 08 KLR I wrecked last year back together enough to run around a bit and after resetting the pilot screw and shimming & drilling the carb slide it power wheelies in first.
Yes!

Thinking about getting a couple of 20mm ammo boxes and a frame for saddlebags too.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Phy posted:

Next mod selected.
It's pretty drat easy.
If you have an aftermarket exhaust it'll take 2 #4 flat washers to shim the needle, 1 with the stock. The slide hole gets drilled to 7/64", The pilot screw gets turned 2 to 2 1/4 times with an aftermarket exhaust and 1.75 to 2 for the stock one.
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41112

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Phy posted:

Hmm. That's the 22-cent mod, yes? I know that one's been around for years and probably close to adequately tested, and .net can be a good site for technical information, but after reading the admin's defense of HHO generators in this thread, complete with accusations of detractors being under the thumb of the Big Three, I may have to start taking whatever this guy says with a grain of salt.
Yea, that's a hosed up thread, but the 22 cent mod at least gave my KLR more power, I could sometimes get the front tire up by accelerating up to about 3 or 4K rpm, letting off to compress the front suspension then giving it full throttle. My first ride after the mod all I had to do was give it full throttle in 1st and the tire would come up about 6".

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I've only had out that once, it still needs a radiator, fan and left side peg bracket on, so I have no idea how it affects the mpg. However, it does have more umph with a quicker throttle response.
For the investment of a #4 washer or two, it's worth it since it's so simple to do. Mine has a Jardine muffler and I backed the screw out 2.5 turns, so it probably breathes a hair better than stock.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The old Pilot Road on the front was getting worn, so I decided to try out a Shinko 009 Raven on the EX500. Man, this thing is slick right now. I lost traction just pulling out of the driveway, then again on a crosswalk while nearly upright.
The different geometry feels funky too, guess it'll take a bit to get used to.
Also bought a pair of Fieldsheer Attack gloves on closeout, it's a bit too chilly in the morning for my JR Phoenix gloves and way too warm for the Tour Master winter gloves that are a pain in the rear end to pull on/off if your hand's even a little sweaty.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Did the string thing and it still has a bit of a shimmy at 45mph, guess it's time to tweak the forks.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Saved about $800 vs. OEM on 08 KLR parts so far by ebaying and the KLR boards, put the new radiator, fan/bracket and front turn signals on today then got insurance.
It's ready to ride.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

After a lot of cussing, tab bending and grommet insertion, I got the engine covers on the KLR and went to take it out for a spin and noticed the rear turn signals which I thought had survived the wreck had cracked the top of the rubber mounting and were hanging by the bottom of the rubber, enter our hero Captain Duct Tape who saved the day. Ta-da!
I put some black electical tape over it to kinda sorta hide redneck fix.
Also ordered a set of sweet looking Pro Taper SE ATV high black handlebars to replace the bent stockers.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

EvilDonald posted:

If I remember right, the 08s have a problem with the stock ones breaking like that by themselves. Most folks just replace them with another kind of light, as Kawasaki doesn't have a fix for it. Flush mount ones on the fender are popular.

I'll probably just get some aftermarket LED signals and add a few precious surplus watts.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Had a local shop extract a broken bent bolt and helicoil the other mounting nut on the left footpeg bracket and my pro taper bars came in today.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Put on those Pro Taper bars and adjusted my forks then bought some threaded inserts with bar end weights, got them home and they're too big, have to take them back monday. Guess I'll just wait and get some inserts with new hand guards.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

FunkyJunk posted:

Crossposting from questions thread:

I have an R1, and absolutely nobody makes a hardcase mount for it. There's only one company I know of that even makes a rack, and it's reputed to have very weak welds. I recently bought a damaged rear seat off eBay and took the seat cover and foam off. I bolted a Givi universal rack (E250) to the seatpan, and a V46 topcase to that.
That's a pretty good idea.:c00l:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Found Emgo oil filters at Bike Bandit for the KLR for $1.87, ordered 5 to save on shipping this week and changed it today with Rotella 15-40.

The rubber well nuts on it have already dry rotted out, making it impossible to change out the windshield or adjust the headlight without taking off the cowling first. I found a good site that has the M5's it uses for 60 cents, a hell of a lot better than the $5 OEM, ordered 10 since Kawi really like their well nuts.
Here's the site
http://www.desmoparts.com/ducati/wellnut/wellnut.htm

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Put on a pair of black EMGO hand guards on the KLR, they're not as big or don't stop as much wind as the stockers, but they're pretty much the same as the Acerbis Rally Pro guards. I like'em.
Here's some pics someone on stromtrooper took of them.
http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19606

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

^^^Same here, have fun.

Locktited the handguard and fairing bolts on the KLR, don't need the thumper vibrating them out. Lubed the clutch cable and am going to do the throttle cables hopefully tomorrow when I put in a 1/4 x 20 nylon thumbscrew in the throttle case for a makeshift cruise control. There's already a hole in it, all I need to do is tap it.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Packed the KLR up for a trip to SE Ohio, a lot of good roads down there.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Dropped the bike after reserving a camping spot at a state park in SE Ohio, didn't want to unload the bags twice in a half an hour, so I got the friendly local park ranger to help pick it up.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Put a new set of Shinko 244s on the KLR, had to patch a pinch flat from the tire iron on the front tube, repacked the front & rear bearings, scrubbed the chain clean with some Simple Green and cut off those little tits on the new tires, for some reason I hate those things.
Oh yea, I put in some Dynabeads in the tubes, I'll see how they do and report in the tires thread.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Did a valve check on the KLR, one EX and one In are tight, the cams are coming off tomorrow.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

SuperSlant6 posted:

You might already know this, but how you worded it sounds odd. Anyways You don't have to pull the cams out, just take the timing chain tensioner out and then take the cam holders out. Then lift the cams just enough to take the shims out.

That's what I ended up doing, you don't even have to take the CCT out, just the 12mm bolt & spring. Maint on KLR's is so simple it's almost like working on lawnmowers.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Put a new Shinko 244 on the rear, jesus, that's a tough one to get on.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Fixed the preload adjuster on the KLR shock.
Nice vid to follow, Honey72, whoever you are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b4uBKCEqNo

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Put a new tank on the KLR to replace the original that got beat up in my wreck a few years ago. Put a gallon of gas in for a test ride and it died about a block from home in front of some people. Sat there for a minute or two cranking it over until I realized I forgot to put it on reserve.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

And do a burnout on the dog poo poo.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Rerouted, wired armored and tip tied the wiring harness trouble spots on the KLR then took apart the gauge housing to lube up the odometer to get the trip working again, seems like it is.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

That's pretty sweet looking.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Snapped an axle pinch bolt.
I went to clean out the front calipers and check out the front wheel since it was feeling a bit squirrley, so I jacked the front up and went to take the wheel off. The right side pinch bolt came loose just fine but the left side was super loving tight to the point that I bought a set of metric allen sockets to get more torque on it. That worked sort of, it stayed tight, but loosened a turn or so then went snap.
I finally got the Axle off and noticed it had a wear groove on the left side and burn marks on the right under the bearing. The right side bearing looks bad, the plastic seal is warped and trying to free itself from the race.

I ordered a new axle and bearings and am now getting ready to go to Harbor Freight to buy a blind bearing puller. I might be able to use a set of channel locks to grip the pinch bolt where it's open underneath the end of the fork to work it the rest of the way out.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

New plug wires on the EX500, hopefully this'll cure the bogging down and missing when it rains.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Tried using white hand degreaser on the rims to get rid of the road grime and chain wax overspray. It works drat good, just spray some water and rub a bit to remove any residue when you're done.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

This stuff tends to have sand? gritty stuff in it so careful using it on anything painted / chromed

No, this is just the cream.
This stuff is pretty old school, all the old mechanics used to keep a can or two of this and a bar of Lava bar soap for the grit action. Companies like Gojo just combined the two.

Edit
Got the bike and luggage ready for an overnight in SE Ohio, St Rt 555, 78, 536. Gonna be a good weekend.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

kenny powerzzz posted:

I'm not sure about 536, but 78 and triple nickle are a blast.

Didn't get to 536, but yea, 555, 78 and 278 were all great. 56 however, tastes like crap, made my bike spark and is much tougher than my ankle.

In keeping with the thread, I hobbled out on the crutches and looked at the broken plastic and ground down hand guard, it may be a cheap Emgo, but it did it's job well.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Got tired of the buffeting on the Strom and ordered a Manta windscreen which came today and turned out to be for 2004+, not the 02-3, so I said gently caress it and cut about 4" off of the Givi 255 the PO had put on. There's still a bit of buffet if I let my body relax too much and slouch, as the blast hits right at the bottom of the helmet, 2 more inches off, I guess. Plus the footpeg lowering brackets made todays ride much nicer.
Since it came home I've put on a Tusk Raptor bend bar, Tusk D-Flex handguards, Givi E21 sideboxes and frame, a remachined rear wheel spacer and a forkbrace. A 525 chain came in yesterday, and gold masterlinks are on the way so it's easier to tell where I started lubing the chain, they're going on with a -1/2+ set of sprockets for more low end and drop 6th gear which is geared waay too tall.

All that's left on the list now are a remachined clutch basket to get rid of the chudder and a new seat.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Cut the chain off and realized I ordered a 110 link 525 chain instead of the 112 link I need. Many combinations of four letter words were created today.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Cleaned around the front sprocket area and put on the new chain and -1/+2 sprockets then took it for a ride to a bike shop, got some foam grips and a progrip for the tank, yea more power.:haw:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Bought one of these..
http://www.danosperformance.com/suzuki_smart_TRE.htm

It fools the ECU into thinking every gear is 4th on the Strom 1K, the only un-retarded gear.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Interesting that even their sportbikes are restricted in the lower gears. First I can understand, and maybe second, but all the way up to third or fourth is just senseless and strange.

Maybe it's to cover their rear end in court when some idiot loops it and on the Strom the 5th and 6th gear keeps the top end down, since they have some handling issues above 120mph, I've had this to 130+ indicated and it didn't feel nearly as stable as the zx-6r at higher speeds.
I bought it as maybe a low cost solution to low gear/speed surging. I just want a smoother ride around town without spending $$$ on a power commander and getting 30mpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Put the retard eliminator on the Strom and it seems to make 6th run smoother at 60ish and gets rid of the O/D blinking when it wants me to shift. Then put on a Windstrom windscreen, it doesn't cut down the buffeting as much as I hoped it would, don't know if I should get the deflector that goes at the top or try to get the Madstad adapter plate and brackets and rig the Windstrom to that.

Oh, and got a 19mm allen socket so I could finally loosen the front axle and fork brace to true them up.